Criticism with Positive Ideas? Madness.

Cranberries

I feel really annoyed.

I make a post that lists basic, legitimate criticisms with a game I want to succeed, and I give solutions to them and I ... get overran by a herd of fanboys under the pipe of the Pied Piper of Hamelin...

Great community, even WoW's is better.

i think the criticisms you have voiced are all pretty solid, and understand why you talked about how awesome you are. I'll try to explain why this irritates people, and at the same time try to defend why you listed it.

You list this type of crap to avoid the whole "but you're not raiding yet" line. She is raiding yet, and she's raiding hard stuff. She's got a voice.

the reason it irritates people is they don't look at it from the same perspective, they think you are just saying you're better than them.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are all valid critiques. They have been valid critiques for months, even during testing. There have been other posts just as well articulated as these, but I doubt Bioware is really concerned with them.

I suppose, the only thing I'm wondering is why your boyfriend is contempt. ^_~

i think the criticisms you have voiced are all pretty solid, and understand why you talked about how awesome you are. I'll try to explain why this irritates people, and at the same time try to defend why you listed it.

You list this type of crap to avoid the whole "but you're not raiding yet" line. She is raiding yet, and she's raiding hard stuff. She's got a voice.

the reason it irritates people is they don't look at it from the same perspective, they think you are just saying you're better than them.

Err... I don't blame you for not reading every reply, but a few pages back he DID declare he is better than us lowly peasants, as he is an almighty professor with a PhD in SWTOR.

OP I really don't care about what you achieved because everyone is capable of doing it but are not willing to sink their time in it. Another thing I and am pretty sure most other people hate your type of players that assume "End game is where everything at and everything that comes during your leveling is irrelevant." If you were take a programming class they will yell at you for MAKING ASSUMPTIONS, because you know they never end up right/well. Edited by Volksworgen

Experience = accomplishments.

I have accomplished 4/5 on Hardmode EV and got the ONLY kill of Bonethrasher on Nightmare (thus the world first and only kill). Thus I have experienced it.

Would you listen to me giving a lecture on nuclear physics when I know nothing or would you listen to the professor who has a PhD in nuclear physics? Really. It's not a hard concept. If me being better than you hurts you, then I'm sorry.

If me being better than you hurts you, then I'm sorry. That right there is just funny lol, what a tool.

And? Every human specializes in something. Gaming is not something you specialize in, anyone can do it. You are just too ignorant to see that clearly. Go ahead draw up some designs for your hydrogen fuel cells, and make some technology work because you know you are done with all the content and is irrelevant to you now.

In TBC, WoWs best expansion imo, Sunwell, the hardest raid instance to be developd, was cleared by about 0.6% of the entire WoW raiding base over the course of a year. During the development of WotLK, where WoW became bad imo, they stated they would "never make another Sunwell" because "not enough people could experience it." Henceforth, there has never been another Sunwell, which is a sad thing.

Edited by Cranberries

Great your game started at level 50, fun for you, MYgame started at level 1. Take your oopions and complaints and elitism and leave to another game where people will care about youre-peen status primadonna.

Game is awesome, MMO's can start at level1, I can't wait untilOP quits.

PS: Can I have your helmet?

In TBC, WoWs best expansion imo, Sunwell, the hardest raid instance to be developd, was cleared by about 0.6% of the entire WoW raiding base over the course of a year. During the development of WotLK, where WoW became bad imo, they stated they would "never make another Sunwell" because "not enough people could experience it." Henceforth, there has never been another Sunwell, which is a sad thing.

It is very debatable whether TBC or WotLK was the best expansion.

I agree with a post earlier on that stated that the OP was good, but the additional replies have been elitist and, as I see it, narrow-minded.

It's opinionated whether it's offensive or not, but it isn't from a technical standpoint. I am an elitist, I don't disagree. I believe a game should be played to appease the best in it because the best players keep a game going, not via revenue but via publicity. If you speak to most people in a raiding guild on WoW they would've heard of the following guild names: Paragon, Method, Ensidia, Envy, For the Horde, Premonition, Blood Legion, Slashcry (not so prominent now), Numen. Just so many top tier guilds who generate publicity via their accomplishments.

You should design introductory content, I am all for that but you should also push to best of the best to their limits. Implement a SWTOR style Sunwell, and the hardcore raiders will be lapping it up. The problem is the aforementioned cannot happen with the way the game currently works. In WoW, on my Resto Shaman, I am use to be able to cast Nature's Swiftness (NS) 0.6 seconds before my preceeding heal, or GCD, has finished and then able to cast my next spell instantly. In SWTOR if I'm casting Tracer Missile and want to use Power Surge while chain casting, it gets applied after I've started casting so I lose out on the instant cast and lose the buff as well.

The helm, by the way, isn't that good looking. I don't even want to take a screenshot of it, it looks dreadful. The Sith Marauder one looks far, far better.

Edited by Cranberries

I actualy went to school with a girl called Teresa Green. True story, cruel parents or something, i dunno.

Anyway, on to the OP - I agree, so much. I was about to create my own post but you have effectivley covered everything i wanted to say including a link to the ability delay post. As such, thanks for saving me the time. I only hope the people that matter sit up and take note.

As for the flamers, nay sayers and fanboys ..simply put ...well i cant say what i really think, dont particulary want to get banned from the forum but i honestly believe the majority of them dont really understand the problem. Infact i'd say alot of them know there is a problem but arent familier enough with the genre or skilled enough AT the genre to understand what " that wierd feeling" is when they play.

Anyway, im done rambling , thanks again OP. You covered everything i wanted to say.

I actualy went to school with a girl called Teresa Green. True story, cruel parents or something, i dunno.

Anyway, on to the OP - I agree, so much. I was about to create my own post but you have effectivley covered everything i wanted to say including a link to the ability delay post. As such, thanks for saving me the time. I only hope the people that matter sit up and take note.

As for the flamers, nay sayers and fanboys ..simply put ...well i cant say what i really think, dont particulary want to get banned from the forum but i honestly believe the majority of them dont really understand the problem. Infact i'd say alot of them know there is a problem but arent familier enough with the genre or skilled enough AT the genre to understand what " that wierd feeling" is when they play.

Anyway, im done rambling , thanks again OP. You covered everything i wanted to say.

I think most people agree with the general thoughts of the post. But it was put together in a hilariously condescending way that made the message easily ignorable.

I think most people agree with the general thoughts of the post. But it was put together in a hilariously condescending way that made the message easily ignorable.

If you found the tone condescending then you should get better so you don't find it condescending. I get condescending when people start to insult me because I try to open with a, fairly bad, joke or I state why I should be listened to. I'm just sick of people who are casual thinking this game is perfect, or without faults, or refuse to see flaws because it is not good for a game's design.

Awww ... I was cheering you on in your battle over semantics until you failed grammar.

I assume you are a "university student" ... see what I did there?

It did sound impressive though.

The term university can be used as an adjective. To describe the student's status or educational setting. The term 'university' could just as easily be replaced, with the more grammatical correct, 'universitarian' and it would mean the same thing.

Edited by Cranberries

Currently, let's just the whole last portion of your post, starting with the fallacy that you've proven you are correct.

Let's just go ahead and back up to this part where you say you can't have two nouns. Now, you may want to make it clear why you are considering both of these things nouns in the first place. Since you could easily argue that the latter is being used as a verb, to check. In this case, the retard could easily be intended as the noun form, and thus be offensive. Also, furthermore, if you are assigning a name to a given action, then the entire thing CAN be using noun forms, since it is being used, in essence, as a single noun. Ergo, you could be using a noun form of retard AND check, as it is ascribing a name to the action itself. And as such, your attempts to cover this up are misguided.

You would have been far better off just apologizing for any offense and stating it was not intended, rather than trying to pass the phrase off as non-offensive. In fact, that action in and of itself is offensive. In trying to "prove" to everyone that it's not offensive, you are essentially just writing off the peoples emotional reactions to the phrasing. Whether you are correct or not, that action further embedded the idea that you think yourself to be superior to, and thus more important than, everyone else. Your supposed explanation here did you more harm than good. You have likely succeeded at even further alienating people.

I mean, let's be real here. If I called you a fa**ot on here, regardless of what phrase it was contained in, explaining your offense away by saying it was a reference to a bundle of sticks would likely just make you even more angry with me. And this is basically what you have just done regarding the whole retard subject...

i have aspergers :csw_jabbapet: and i'm okay w/the phrase, end of convo.

:rod_tongue_p:

If you found the tone condescending then you should get better so you don't find it condescending. I get condescending when people start to insult me because I try to open with a, fairly bad, joke or I state why I should be listened to. I'm just sick of people who are casual thinking this game is perfect, or without faults, or refuse to see flaws because it is not good for a game's design.

Hey look, I am sorry I just kind of read your top few lines of your OP talking about what you have achieved and stopped reading afterwards, but now I did and I agree with everything you said. It's easy to not admit what someone did wrong but extremely hard to admit and I did. So sorry and thanks for bringing things up that need immediate attention. Disregard all my previous douchb*g replies and thank you :) I mean it.

Edited by Volksworgen

It's opinionated whether it's offensive or not, but it isn't from a technical standpoint. I am an elitist, I don't disagree. I believe a game should be played to appease the best in it because the best players keep a game going, not via revenue but via publicity. If you speak to most people in a raiding guild on WoW they would've heard of the following guild names: Paragon, Method, Ensidia, Envy, For the Horde, Premonition, Blood Legion, Slashcry (not so prominent now), Numen. Just so many top tier guilds who generate publicity via their accomplishments.

You should design introductory content, I am all for that but you should also push to best of the best to their limits. Implement a SWTOR style Sunwell, and the hardcore raiders will be lapping it up.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with this. I was a hardcore raider for many years (while I could spare the time for it) and have a deep understanding of the relationships between leading guilds and an MMO's success (though this is sometimes overstated).

Yet, flashing credentials isn't going to garner you much credibility. I know, I've done it before and it always blows up in my face. Better, instead, to deliver well formulated arguments and insightful comments. You did more of that in you first post, but less as you continued. In the end, your elitism doesn't impress anyone (even other elitists!).

WoW, as an MMO, was really quite top heavy (until Cataclysm). New content was developed first and foremost for those at the level cap. Though that's good for keeping a small dedicated fanbase (which for WoW got quite massive), companies like EA (who are dominated by shareholders; not designers) are going to want to get wider appeal. This will come at the cost of the hardcore raider, and considering the cost of development for this game, will be a necessary step is these endgame players want an MMO that will continue to give them max-level content.

Realistically, this game (and other MMOs of its kind) aren't designed to be able to handle those few who race to the level cap within the first few weeks. Though your criticisms hold weight, your elitism is the main weakness in your whole project here. Your expectations of more endgame content within the first month of a game with 8 unique voice acted storyarchs for 4 different classes falls flat to most of the community, who is still leveling up to 40 or so. The problems with the game along the way are what people are most concerned with in the first month.

Oh, I totally admit your accomplishments are impressive in a competitive/progression sense.

That doesnt change the fact you opened the thread with "Forget the New Year, I've already rang in the New Year with my boyfriend. "

Its hilarious. Before you could even state why you should be listened to, you pretty much shot yourself in the foot. You hadnt been insulted, as it was your thread. You just opened it in the most ridiculous way imaginable that I'd love to print it on one of those free T-shirt sites and make a mint.

The term university can be used as an adjective. To describe the student's status or educational setting. The term 'university' could just as easily be replaced, with the more grammatical correct, 'universitarian' and it would mean the same thing.

I'll ponder this nonsense as I sit in the "student lounge."

stopped reading after you tooted your horn about how your the first and only of this that and the other.

If you want people to actually care what you say. Dont try to put yourself above others with useless "i did it first" bs infront of it.

I felt the same way. Just cause you've blasted through the content and slept with your boyfriend to celebrate the new year does not make your voice more valid then anyone elses.

I felt the same way. Just cause you've blasted through the content and slept with your boyfriend to celebrate the new year does not make your voice more valid then anyone elses.

lmao this is a great post from OP but I am really enjoying people's replies while flashing a new ROM into my Thunderbolt.