Criticism with Positive Ideas? Madness.

Cranberries

lmao this is a great post from OP but I am really enjoying people's replies while flashing a new ROM into my Thunderbolt.

"Forget about your USB. I just flashed a new ROM into my Thunderbolt. NOW LEMME TELL YA ABOUT MY HELMET..."

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant contempt. For personal reasons so I don't think you care why though. I listed the credentals because I have a voice. I have a voice because I've done it. I've done it because I rushed through it. Sure, rushing through content may not be what works for you - but it works for me. A good argument requires some form of authority. You don't listen to The Sun (UK newspaper) about politics if you're intelligent, some people do but they lack the aforementioned trait. Authority only helps fuel an argument, the problem is people are jealous of authority and 'being worse', this is why competition is now 'removed' (almost entirely) from primary schools in the UK.

Having a few weeks of experience barely makes you an expert in the field unless you slept at a holiday inn last night.

I meant contempt. For personal reasons so I don't think you care why though. I listed the credentals because I have a voice. I have a voice because I've done it. I've done it because I rushed through it. Sure, rushing through content may not be what works for you - but it works for me. A good argument requires some form of authority. You don't listen to The Sun (UK newspaper) about politics if you're intelligent, some people do but they lack the aforementioned trait. Authority only helps fuel an argument, the problem is people are jealous of authority and 'being worse', this is why competition is now 'removed' (almost entirely) from primary schools in the UK.

Hey if you read back through all your replies to this thread I think you will discover why you are unhappy and why that isn't really to do with the game :cool:

I have aspergers, currently changed to "autism spectrum disorder" and it pisses me off, that when I tell people that I have a disability they automatically think "retardation" and are like "***?!" and then when i say it's to do with social skills they're just like "That's not a disability!" People really need more information of what's out there in the world, rather than steryotyping and believing that they know everything!

I'm going to reply section by sention on this:

...With that said - these are my credentals, and why I believe I have a voice that should be listened to:

- Valor rank 57

- Cleared 4/5 EV on Hardmode

- Cleared 5/5 EV on Normal Mode

- Involved in the world first kill of Bonethrasher on Nightmare difficulty. Currently the only BH in the world with this item

- Cleared every Hardmode Flashpoint (except The Foundry as ... well it's bugged).

Actually, this undermines your case... heavily. You are part of the .01% of gamers that will ever see a world first anything. Your concerns are heavily divorced from the viewpoint of most of the people who play this game. By the time most of the people playing this game reach the point of even attempting the hardmodes, Bioware will have had more than enough time to tune and patch the raids (probably repeatedly). From a purely financial perspective, it is not in Bioware's interest to prioritize fixes and updates to suit your particular playstyle. I say that not to offend you, but to simply add perspective on my comments to follow.

I do not care about small bugs that stop some level 23 Sith Marauder from jumping from 1 hill to another, that's irrelevant. MMOs are about the end game content. If you disagree you should play a single player game because MMOs do not survive unless end game content is both a product of quality and quantity.

You right and wrong on this point. End game content is a significant point on holding on to subscribers past the initial 2 month window of a new game, but it is less significant during that initial time period. You have to realize the average age of MMO gamers has been steadily increasing the past several years, and most older gamers (defined in this context as 23+) who are no longer in school and working full time simply do not have 20+ hours a week they can sink into a game. Now this isn't true of every gamer in that group, but we're looking at averages as they apply to the subscriber base. Again, I'm bringing all this up in hopes you will see that catering to your particular subset may not be in Biowares best financial interest atm.

The UI

This is a subject beaten to death, so I will simply say it needs to be modified. For end game raiding, at the highest level, there are too many interferences with the UI. I play a DPS BH in 8 man operations and will be healing in 16 man operations and so for me, as a healer, a UI is the staple I need to do my job to the best of my ability. I am 100% confident with the current UI I can do my job well, however with a UI I can customise and make "my own" I will be able to play a lot better, and surely that's a good thing? When raiding the hardest content available, it is annoying to simply face the fact that often fighting the intolerable UI is harder, as it cannot be changed, than fighting the bosses mechanics. The changes I propose are:

- Make party frames the CURRENT Operation frames and add companions into them, party bars will then look very nice and not need to be tampered with as the current party bars make for horrible healing. Even when healing on level 30 Sith Inquisitor, I use Operation frames when doing content with 2 companions because the party frames aren't good enough for the job.

- Make raid frames a complete carbon copy of Grid. Grid works. It just does, Grid works because raid frames are needed for healers, and that is all. In this game, at the top tier of raiding, there is no need for a DPSer to have operation frames anywhere in view or even look at them and the same can be said for tanks. Thus, make raid frames in the style of Grid to suit the need of the healers who actually need them. Rift uses a Grid style raid frame setup and it works well.

- After doing the aforementioned, give the ability to show debuffs (important ones, with the ability to add/remove debuffs) as a centre icon (again, like Grid). It will make it easier to dispell harmful effects and ultimately make healing more enjoyable as it will have more fluidity.

These are reasonable points and in the best interest of players of small group content of all levels, as well as raiders of all flavors. As such, this is a high priority item, and well articulated I might add.

The Combat

For this I will simply link you to read this thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=105955 because it simply states what I would only want to state. I will add though that this hinders the game so much, if I'm DPSing after I get 5 armour debuffs (from 3 Tracer Missiles) onto the boss I immediately like to use my trinket + adrenal and continue blowing up the boss. With the current system, however, I have to wait a good 1-2 seconds to use both items and it makes the game far less enjoyable and gives it less fluidity.

This is a known issue that Bioware has said they are working on. Not much else to do but wait for the patch.

Crew Skills

Crafting, the way it is implemented, is fine. Infact it's more than fine in my opinion. I love the fact I can effectively level my crew skills while PvPing, or while doing Operations or even Hardmode Flashpoints. I think Bioware implemented crew skills in the right manner because they were outstandingly, however there is a big issue with them. If you are a hardcore raider, or PvPer, you will be using Biochem as your crafting profession. You will not use anything else. If you aren't a hardcore raider, you will be using Biochem if you want usefulness. The reason is simple: the Rakata Stims, Adrenals and the Medpack are simply ridiculous in comparison with what other crew skills recieve for hitting 400. It feels as if Biochem (and Slicing I guess) is/are the only complete crew skill(s). Why will you be using Biochem above all else? While it is true you can get amazing schematics for Cybertech, the ones you need (level 56/level 58 mods/armouring) only drop from hardmode/nightmare mode operations and what is worse, because you'll be using your tier set you can't modify the armour slot, only the mod slot. Your profession is effectively halved. Not to mention, if you don't choose Biochem and you raid, you wont be as effective as you can be and in a hardcore raiding guild every advantage is everything. You stack EVERYTHING in your favour to be world first.

For the moment, this is a hardcore issue that will not effect most of the player base. The average gamer will take that craft that they think is 'cool' or that they personally find more interesting. Only the highest end hardcore raiders will pick a craft based solely on such a narrowminded criteria, and having been involved in raiding in WoW I can say with complete confidence that the truely hardcore will flock to whatever craft is the most beneficial, even if it's by the most miniscule margin. If your point is simply that you feel that there are ways to broaden and deepen the crafting system, I would invite you to list them. But to look at it only from the cutting view of "What is the bleeding edge raiding scene going to use?" is a fools errand.

Ilum's PvP

Currently there is no reason to PvP on Ilum. None. You gain no benefit. I killed a player in Ilum the other day and recieved nothing. Not one thing. If you want Ilum to be a hub of PvP activity such as Wintergrasp or Tol Barad rewards need to be implemented. Maybe they will come, maybe they will not. However, for it to be beneficial I suggest adding just 1 thing per kill: for every kill give a player 1 Mercenary Commendation, 1 Warzone Commendation and 1 random: Centurion or Champion Commendation. This will make killing worthwhile, and overall increase the fun of the zone as more people hit level 50.

As that my personal interest in pvp is limited at best, I will refrain from commenting beyond the fact that, yes, for pvp to succeed in an MMO it has to provide either a truely unique and compelling gameplay experience (which is doubtful simply from the framework and developer time requirements) or it needs to provide a material award of some nature.

Introductory Raiding: Normal Mode Content

For this, when Combat Logs make their way in (I'm not debating this as it's been beaten to death and rather pointless because they are coming), I suggest every normal mode boss having a handful of 'retard check' mechanics. So if we use EV as a current example: the first boss does 3 'retard check' mechanics: channelled AoE that you need to LoS, and a circle missile that you need to move out of or die. He also does an ability that requires the melee and tank to play smartly. This is good, how it should be. If every boss was like this in EV then it would be effective introductory raid content, however the third boss and fourth boss are ... for the most part ... complete jokes and I'm not sure what Bioware's thinking was behind them, personally. They just feel either bugged, incomplete or ... well that's it really.

It's possible they are bugged, but I would guess that at least one of them is intended to be simple, providing a straightforward fight as a reward for beating the previous harder boss. (Example from Wrath = Lootship)

Hardmode Content

Currently Hardmode content is simply boss does the exact same stuff with +%s to damage and damage. This is not fun as it's mostly a gear check. A boss should differ in hardmode compared to normal mode. The first boss, using the same example, could be far more enjoyable if perhaps during the boss' channelled AoE one of the two turrets you previously destroyed was repaired and had to be DPSd down during it save your raid being blown to bits by a turret and a boss. Gharj, for example, on hardmode difficulty could do something where he engulfs the area of land he pounds on in lava thereby limiting the amount of space you have - a mediocre, as it's hardmode, soft enrage. Sadly I cannot mention Nightmare mode content as I have only done Bonethrasher and according to 1.0.2 Nightmare mode 'strictly' isn't working correctly.

I would agree with your underlying premise, in that hardmode should involve new complications as opposed to simply bigger numbers. I am not of the opinion this should be a high priority item, as that it is a few months before the mathematical average player will even be attempting this content.

Hardmode Flashpoints

I struggle to see the point of Hardmode Flashpoints. Are they for a challenge? I'm not sure. They reward Columi (t2) items and a myriad of Tionese (t1) level epics however EV on normal mode (which is easier) offer the exact same rewards. I'm not sure what the point is other than bragging rights: "I've done Bulwark on Hardmode difficulty, thus I am better than you." It would also help, I guess, if the content was beyond belief bugged... Every Hardmode Flashpoint has some bug issues, as if they weren't tested at all. I hope when people hit level 50 they are fixed but given Patch 1.0.2's complete disregard of them, I doubt they will. Regardless they are pointless other than to complete the daily and weekly as these quests offer both credits, necessary for repair bills, and Columi Commendations. Due to this, as well, players can simply complete Black Talon or Battle of Ilum on Hardmode as these are by far the easiest and, arguably, fastest to complete.

They're designed for people who either aren't in a hardcore raiding guild, and for reasons of time, RL responsibility, or simple personal choice will not be seeing most of the raid content for quite some time, if ever. For a fair number of the people playing the game, this will BE their endgame experience. Of the 'endgame' content that you've mentioned, this should be Bioware's #1 priority; again, the compelling reason is simply numbers.

PvP

PvP is fun but it *lacks* smoothness. I feel healers are completely worthless in PvP other than Sages and Sorcerers primarily because their absorption shield isn't reduced by the -30% healing debuff players get upon entering combat. I do believe some classes are more powerful than others, but that is normal for any MMO. MMOs will always have imbalances, and as long as both sides get the imbalances I guess it doesn't matter much - especially as there is no competitive PvP in SWTOR. I think that the plethora of crowd controls, slows, roots and knockbacks make PvP a complete farce, personally. They are not fun. Losing control of your character, with the slow activation time of the PvP trinket (referring to every classes level 9 spell) it feels you spend a lot more of your time in forms of CC rather than out of CC, and that's not good design.

Again, not my cup of tea, but I think anyone who has ever pvp'ed will tell you that being effectively stunlocked thru a fight is somewhere between disheartening and infuriating. I would like to see some time devoted to this in the near future, for the sake of the pvp servers if nothing else.

Thank you for reading. I am going to end by saying - I do not care this game is "STAR WARS" - this game coUld be called "TERESA GREEN" and I'd have the exact same problems. Having the title "STAR WARS" should not excuse a game from near perfection. It should not excuse glaring issues. Neither should the fact "THE GAME IS NEW" excuse it from basic MMO practice. If we take the release of Rift: this game had everything I have said here, and it still failed. Think about this for a second: I am criticising a game for not having basic features that another MMO launched with and is now considered a failure. I would really wish people could see the imperfections of the game and the places where it falls short, drastically. This game has unique potential because of it's title but it's title will not sustain the game. It cannot; people will get bored of Star Wars eventually, and people will want a quality MMO with a large quantity of content.

Thank you for taking time to post. I found your perspective illuminating. I hope you will give the same thought and attention to my points as I have given yours.

As a final thought, I would ask you not to take offense to any of my comments regarding hardcore raiders being a minority in this game. It is not meant to disparage you; I personally appreciate your efforts towards your chosen playstyle from my perspective of a lifelong gamer who values skill. I would just ask you to step back and look at the player base as a whole; realize, for the good of the game and the community, that sometimes your needs are going to take a lower priority and the post-launch patch window is one of those times. The subscriber base as a whole has a lot of needs that need to be addressed right now, and Bioware needs to look at the numbers and make impartial decisions. Not catering to the ultra elites, not catering to the terrible players who couldn't careless about the game and want everything handed to them (I'm looking at you, Blizzard), but the central core demographic of people who want to play the game at a reasonable pace, with a reasonable skill requirement, and want a rewarding balanced experience along the way.

To quote a favorite podcaster of mine, TotalBiscuit:

"You've got your top 1% of players on one side of the wall and your terri-bads on the other side of that wall; and you know who's sitting on that wall? That's right, everybody bloody else!"

A bit odd to start by saying what you said, are you trying to prove you're a lady? I'm not sure so I won't claim it's certain (or even likely) but that's the feeling I get.

"- Involved in the world first kill of Bonethrasher on Nightmare difficulty. Currently the only BH in the world with this item"

Your credentials were fine before this. This is pure boasting, it does not in any way show how much knowledge you have on a subject. The complaints about that part of your post are completely valid.

Agree on the UI.

Agree on the combat.

Agree on the crew skills.

Agree about the problem on Illum, disagree on your solution. One warzone commendation for killing one person is pathetic. Try something like 5 Warzone commendations, 3 mercenary commendations, 1 centurion commendation, and a chance at getting a random champion PvP equipment drop (fairly low chance).

Somewhat agreed on Introductory Raiding: Normal Mode Content, we have our differences but it would take far more typing than I wish to explain.

Agree and disagree to an extent on Hardmode Content. It would be nice to have different versions of the bosses' attacks, but that is certainly not a priority. Like a night and day cycle for planets, it's nice but it isn't a big problem at all. The UI and Combat issues should take top priority in my opinion. Smaller things like this should be remembered but really, I wouldn't even bring it up till they fixed the bigger issues. Wouldn't want to confuse their priorities.

Agree on Hardmode Flashpoints.

PvP is partly redundant (combat section), partly I disagree (that other healing classes are useless), disagree on the CC issue. Resolve dealt with that fairly well, you're only going to be stunned once and immobilized once per fight (generally speaking).

I feel that it should be stated, most games when they are new are FAR less complete and have FAR more issues. As someone who has seen the rise and fall of many an MMO, this game is quite complete with only a few major issues. Compare that to a ton of other MMO's that come out and are messed up and feel entirely incomplete (STO comes to mind), this game has been fairly smooth.

"It's not a hard concept. If me being better than you hurts you, then I'm sorry."

I have to say, that kind of shows how you really are though. You're in no way better than someone else if you've done something more than someone else. You may (or may not) have more knowledge than someone else on the subject, but that in no way means you're better than them. If anything, it's somewhat sad that you've rushed through the game so quickly. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I'd done all that you have... I'd be bored to tears and a bit saddened at how much time I'd spent playing. That was other a poor choice of words, or you really are stuck up, BIG TIME.

I read this whole post and have to say you summed up my feelings. I have not experienced half of what the op has but feel I have read enough about various aspects that I have no opinion about the raids or the way pvp works here. But...and you knew this was coming I disagree based on my own experiences in other games of the OP's 'summerization' about pvp cc. I was actually enjoying a well thought out organized discussion about problems another person "felt" was wrong with the game.

I even made it past the OP's 'giving of the credentials' while it left a bad taste in my mouth. What really made me realize the OP's post was the same ole complaint post was the ending paragraph. But the guy above who wrote the last 7 words in the last paragraph above in quotation, said it bestest! Will you be my boo?

mememememememe gen see ya, this is almost 2012 in my neck of the woods. <I know on the other side of the world it's already 2012! Happy New Year!:D

I'm nominating this for best SW:TOR thread ever.

It has everything: lurid sex, blatant elitism, and the best debate on spelling, semantics and grammar I've ever seen on a gaming forum.

I think there was a point to the initial post, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

10/10

I made this point:

Source: - half way down.

Apologise please. You just didn't read a post and told me to do something I've already done, and knew before the game was released.

I read your post completely, I didn't however read the rest of the forum because of troll posts and did miss that, you should edit your main post and put it in there and no I will no apologize because I didn't read it and that you should consider consolidating your key points to your main post.

Show some humility and get of your high horse because your not as special as your post make yourself out to be, people might take you a bit more seriously because from going back and reading all your post after I missed that one you tend to come off as very abrasive and arrogant.

I won't be posting again because I'd rather play the game then argue semantics with someone who I mostly agreed with in the first place.

Edited by Arrith

Nice post, I agree to all of it.

By the way, I'll bet you 100 dollars that everyone here moaning about the credentials and how you aren't better then them are the same people not wanting recount and moddalbe UI. Because nobody is better than anybody else. I also liked all the replies which said "Just because you play a lot and have done something someone else hasn't, does not make you better". Yeah clearly, try reading that a couple more times and see if it makes sense. Just because we both run on the trackfield, but I use wheelchair, and you beat me by 7 hours on a 5 meter dash, does in no way prove you are better than me. High five.

The common sense on this forum is strong.

Edited by Schnerf

I stopped reading when I got to the credentials. Unless you're paying more per month, I don't think one person's opinion of what is fun to them is more valuable than another.

Oh, but it does.

We live in the world of e-Sports now, where people get payed to play video-games. Look it up sometime -- it's become a reality.

SWTOR community is composed of mainly carebears..ironically, who hate competitive PvE AND competitive PvP.

My suggestion: do what I am about to do very soon: go back to World of Warcraft.

Yes, please do. Go back to World of Warcraft's balanced pvp. Where the frost mage never kites you to death and the blood dks can't death strike you back to 100% hp. Where the amount of pve content they release is so immense and takes a while to clear.

/end Internet sarcasm.

Edited by ZulthicPaladin

By the way, I'll bet you 100 dollars that everyone here moaning about the credentials and how you aren't better then them are the same people not wanting recount and moddalbe UI.

Can I have the $100 instead? :) Because you're wrong :)

The message behind the OP was generally fine. It was just delivered in a bad way. As a result, the majority of the replies in this thread ensued.

Edited by Nerdwing

I'm going to reply section by sention on this:

Actually, this undermines your case... heavily. You are part of the .01% of gamers that will ever see a world first anything. Your concerns are heavily divorced from the viewpoint of most of the people who play this game. By the time most of the people playing this game reach the point of even attempting the hardmodes, Bioware will have had more than enough time to tune and patch the raids (probably repeatedly). From a purely financial perspective, it is not in Bioware's interest to prioritize fixes and updates to suit your particular playstyle. I say that not to offend you, but to simply add perspective on my comments to follow.

Yes, from a purely financial perspective the 0.01% of gamers count very little, but they do add publicity and advertising. Dreamhack advertises live WoW raids from the elite guilds like Method and Paragon - and people PAY to watch them, just to see how 'elite' they are. Having done this myself (a live raid) it's quite thrilling too, although I don't like being watched when I'm raiding because I like to dance and stretch after so many hours of sitting down. :p

You right and wrong on this point. End game content is a significant point on holding on to subscribers past the initial 2 month window of a new game, but it is less significant during that initial time period. You have to realize the average age of MMO gamers has been steadily increasing the past several years, and most older gamers (defined in this context as 23+) who are no longer in school and working full time simply do not have 20+ hours a week they can sink into a game. Now this isn't true of every gamer in that group, but we're looking at averages as they apply to the subscriber base. Again, I'm bringing all this up in hopes you will see that catering to your particular subset may not be in Biowares best financial interest atm.

I agree, while it is not imperative *new* content gets released, existing bugs should be fixed and such a horrid experience should be prevented in the future. A lot of the hardcore raiding scene (if you view the FP/Op forums) are disgusted by the amount of bugs and problems that occur.

They're designed for people who either aren't in a hardcore raiding guild, and for reasons of time, RL responsibility, or simple personal choice will not be seeing most of the raid content for quite some time, if ever. For a fair number of the people playing the game, this will BE their endgame experience. Of the 'endgame' content that you've mentioned, this should be Bioware's #1 priority; again, the compelling reason is simply numbers.

This is the problem however, they are designed for people who aren't willing to raid. However it is far easier to clear 4/5 EV (and less time consuming, with more loot) on normal than to do 1 Flashpoint. Seriously, Directive 7, with 3 wipes on Bulwark (it's bugged), took us the best part of 2 hours while it took us, in total, 45 minutes to kill all the EV normal mode bosses.

As a final thought, I would ask you not to take offense to any of my comments regarding hardcore raiders being a minority in this game. It is not meant to disparage you; I personally appreciate your efforts towards your chosen playstyle from my perspective of a lifelong gamer who values skill. I would just ask you to step back and look at the player base as a whole; realize, for the good of the game and the community, that sometimes your needs are going to take a lower priority and the post-launch patch window is one of those times. The subscriber base as a whole has a lot of needs that need to be addressed right now, and Bioware needs to look at the numbers and make impartial decisions. Not catering to the ultra elites, not catering to the terrible players who couldn't careless about the game and want everything handed to them (I'm looking at you, Blizzard), but the central core demographic of people who want to play the game at a reasonable pace, with a reasonable skill requirement, and want a rewarding balanced experience along the way.

We are a minority, and I accept that. I just wish the game would be free of these issues. Most of what I've said is a 'problem' is an issue that will affect most of the playerbase. Maybe the crew skills issue is more of a hardcore complaint, but the point does exist that everything is totally useless compared to Biochem.

I hope these responses were reasonable, it is 04:31am here.

I'm nominating this for best SW:TOR thread ever.

It has everything: lurid sex, blatant elitism, and the best debate on spelling, semantics and grammar I've ever seen on a gaming forum.

I think there was a point to the initial post, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

10/10

I know right I have been changing ROMS for my phone and reading while waiting, pretty amusing to me lol

Yes, please do. Go back to World of Warcraft's balanced pvp. Where the frost mage never kites you to death and the blood dks can't death strike you back to 100% hp. Where the amount of pve content they release is so immense and takes a while to clear.

/end Internet sarcasm.

Oh I really do agree with you on this.

The hard reality of WoW PvP is that the best PvP classes are whining about how every other class is better, and the classes that are currently worse don't get any buffs.

Blizz is bad at balancing PvP, look up The World of Roguecraft ( a "little" old).

But hey, I still play it.

(Edit swearing isn't a good idea eh guys?)

Edited by ElmerTheOne

Oh I really do agree with you on this.

The hard reality of WoW PvP is that the best PvP classes are whining about how every other class is better, and the classes that are currently worse don't get any buffs.

Blizz is bad at balancing PvP, look up The World of Roguecraft ( a "little" old).

But hey, I still play it.

(Edit swearing isn't a good idea eh guys?)

WoW got really famous within PVP a while back and with that their responsibility with balancing increased as well. With pandaria they are going the diablo III route with abilities to make it simplified for their work force, so they can balance classes easily. With current talent trees system, it's a nightmare to balance everything and you will always hear players whining.

Edited by Volksworgen

Hello everyone,

As you may have noticed, we have removed a significant number of posts from this thread and would like to remind everyone of the rules of conduct in the forums.

2. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks

3. Please stay on topic.

4. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.

5. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.

6. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

7. Please ensure your posts are constructive and appropriate. Using derogatory, vulgar and inappropriate language or terms is not allowed.

Thank you!

If we take the release of Rift: this game had everything I have said here, and it still failed.

Very nice and well thought out commentary. I am excited to see the content that you are playing in :).. I agree about the proposed UI changes. They definitely need to have upgrades in order for me to be completely effective on my healer. I used Grid exclusively in that other MMO, it made me an effective healer.

From my point of view, Rift didn't fail because it did/didn't have certain features. IMO Rift failed because their DEV's didn't know how to use a calculator.