Leveling to 50 - it's way too fast

Trimsic

Personally I've not played any space combat just yet...

However, having such a wide level of diversity in levelling is stopping me from being bored!

People level at there own speed just because you've levelled too fast, doesn't mean others are doing the same. Like you said, you do some space missions, some pvp and some missions, I do regular missions with a fair bit of PVP, I've not done a single space mission and I'm level 25.

The reason PVP is giving such high xp is because some folks don't want to do the story, they don't care, they just want to PVP and level, thats why the PVP option is open for them.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's day 2. How quickly are people wanting new content?

People have taken days off from work to play this game and they are doing it in 10 hour or more chunks. It was bound to happen that we'd have 50s this early.

If you know the routes to take even with out skipping the cut scenes you can hit 50 in about 5 days. If you are skipping scenes (side quests change very little from class to class) it speeds up drastically. At the end to the 30 day trail period many players will have at least one 50 and most likely more. The launch is lining up with the holiday breaks for many people which encourages faster leveling then normal (the 5 days was tested near the later part of November).

My play style is rather very common: I explore the content of the game: all quests, 1 or 2 space combats per day, flash points done once, 1 or 2 war zones a day, etc... And I'm not bashing at all, as I hate that.

I would say that play style is not common at all. 1 or 2 space missions a day, plus 1 or 2 warzones a day, plus 1 flashpoint a day, plus however many quests on whatever planet you are on is a decent amount of time. An "average" player does not play for 3 hours or more every day.

If you got to level 50 in three days I want to see how they did it because over the last year in beta that could not happen.

Time wise.. story wise, server wise.. I do not think it is possible without a exploit or cheating method.

Time wise clicking space bar faster then a monkey on crack could still not make that happen... in the way it was intended.

I agree it is pretty fast but at the same time, there is no reason to just play one thing.. or not start into the endgame.

There is more to come, I do not think they are done with the endgame yet as they have clearly stated.

In my beta group there were quit a few reaching it in under a week during the last few rounds of testing. Even working full time and going to class I was able to reach it 3 times before the wipe.

I'm level 47. I pretty much come home work out for an hour then play the game for a couple hours. I then make dinner and watch a TV show with the wife, and then play for a few more hours. During the weekend I put in some solid gaming sessions. The problem I have is that the questing becomes lack luster pretty quickly. Maybe I read to many books, but the story isn't that engaging. Around level 42 I started space bar hammering out of boredom. I listen to the main quest hoping it would become more interesting (playing Jedi Warrior). Good thing I mostly PvP because I'm not sure if I'll be able to get through this content with an alt.

If you know the routes to take even with out skipping the cut scenes you can hit 50 in about 5 days. If you are skipping scenes (side quests change very little from class to class) it speeds up drastically. At the end to the 30 day trail period many players will have at least one 50 and most likely more. The launch is lining up with the holiday breaks for many people which encourages faster leveling then normal (the 5 days was tested near the later part of November).

Yep, 5 days is bout what I was hitting in beta. It's just about the right amount of time. And lets face it: 5 * 24 = 120 hours. If you don't think the initial $60 investment is worth $.50 an hour, then so be it. But there is a TON of content in this game (make sure you see both sides)

I play 2-3 hours a day, and have since last Friday and I'm halfway through level 17...I think it's slow enough as is for the vast majority of the player base.

This right here is what your average player does. Those at 50 are playing way too many hours or hitting space bar then 2. The level 50's are the power gamers that are inconsequential to the life of the game. They hit 50 as fast as possible then complain when there is no end game content. Then they leave. The rest of us stay, take our time, enjoy the story, the world and the lore. We make alts, we enjoy the game. As it should be.

TBH, leveling is fine at this game. This is probably one of the best game i've played so far where the leveling is fun and interesting with voice over story line.

Compared to eq2, ffxi, it was nothing but grinding mobs and it was very dull.

I'm not sure what every one is after or seeking for in swtor, but it is safe to say most wants to get to level50 and do end game contents (if any). I'm sure no one wants to be stuck taking 2-3 months just to get to 50.

I would say its about normal for a western MMO.

I am level 28 with no alts. The thing slowing me down is that I keep PvPing and not always winning.

I have about 1 day and 20 hours /played so I should be hitting level 30 around 2 days played. I would imagine at that pace it will take me around 4-5 days /played to hit max level.

I have watched every class quest cutscene but I have skipped a lot of the side quests cutscenes.

I would say 5 days played is about normal for a western MMO for a player to reach level cap.

As a working adult I can commit about 3-4 hours a day to the game, which is more than many people, but not all of that time is spent whizzing through content, there is a guild to run, flashpoints to do, datacrons to find and a world to explore. You all get to do this stuff for the first time once so try and enjoy it.

I can see the same issue as in the Beta version of the game: leveling to 50 is way too fast.

For instance, when I started Tatooine yesterday I was almost level 30. Tatooine is supposed to be done by players whose level is 24-28, and indeed the quests and the mobs on this planet are of that level.

My play style is rather very common: I explore the content of the game: all quests, 1 or 2 space combats per day, flash points done once, 1 or 2 war zones a day, etc... And I'm not bashing at all, as I hate that.

The reasons for being always ahead of content in this game are:

- Quests are rewarding too much XP

- War zones are rewarding too much XP

- Space combats are rewarding too much XP

As a consequence, you can see people that have already reached level 50...

Now, imagine I'm a Bioware developer who spent 5 years on that project, and I can see people being level 50 in 3 days. When you know all the content that is available in this game between level 1 and 50, this is just an awful situation.

If I were a Bioware project leader, I would know two important things: 1) there are plenty of bugs left in this game, and 2) the content is not yet finished / polished. I agree that there are no show-stoppers, but there are still a lot of severe and medium issues that are painful for the general gameplay. It takes time to fix these long list of issues, and therefore having the possibility to reach the level 50 so quickly does not give the developers the opportunity to fix them all on time.

Therefore, as many games before SWTOR that failed for the exact same reasons, I'm starting to doubt about the future of this game.

=> Biowave, please open up your eyes, and react before it's too late.

I told them all of this about every week for months in Beta. They didn't listen to any Beta testers... Why the hell did they even bother to have a beta test?I have no respect for Bioware anymore. They didn't listen to any of the testers. Now they have royally screwed up with low server caps. I'm about ready to say the hell with Bioware...

I play 2-3 hours a day, and have since last Friday and I'm halfway through level 17...I think it's slow enough as is for the vast majority of the player base.

I'm the same. Just got Level 18 before logging last night. I only get 2-3 hours as well.

Although last night it took me 2 hours in the que and only 1 hour play time. I really hope Bioware fixes that soon. I don't like that I'm paying to sit in a que longer than actually playing. This is the only MMO that I've played that has had a que.

I told them all of this about every week for months in Beta. They didn't listen to any Beta testers... Why the hell did they even bother to have a beta test?I have no respect for Bioware anymore. They didn't listen to any of the testers. Now they have royally screwed up with low server caps. I'm about ready to say the hell with Bioware...

Just because your opinion matched this guys, does not mean that everyone in beta reported it was too fast.

If you don't like the game then leave it, if this was a major blow for you and it existed all through beta, why did you even buy the game?

"Too fast" is a subjective opinion, not a fact. They obviously didn't agree with you, and thank god. Leveling is not fun for everyone, congratulations if it is for you. You can go level a second character while I enjoy level 50. If the reverse was true, I'd have to sit through more leveling ****.

As for the OP just reaching Tatooine at level 30. I do the exact same thing you do; explore each area, do most (not all, most) quests that are somewhat on the path of my main storyline, PvP a fair bit, space combat, flash points, and I am _FINISHED_ with my class storyline on Tatooine at level 26. I can only imagine that you are extremely thorough, and more power to you. I wish I could move on to the next area, but it's going to be too hard at 26, so I have to do some more annoying "gather 10 pieces of banther crap" quests on Tatooine first.

Edited by Delekii

No. The leveling process should NOT be balanced for the no-lifers.

There will always be those with tons of free time on their hands and the ability to play the game 20 hours a day.

People with jobs, spouses, and commutes shouldn't be punished for that with a drawn out leveling process that seems daunting.

I'll agree that leveling should take longer. I would love if the leveling to max took months, though I might not say that in a years time.

That said, I don't know how common your play style is. Maybe for someone who is off on Christmas break? Sure. For someone who is still working till the 23rd and has a house to run, and shopping to do, and chores, etc. Maybe not so common.

Leveling to max takes months?

No thanks :/

I grew up playing games such as WoW/Runescape and Everquest.

The one i never even touch anymore is Runescape. Its good for what it is and i think its the best PvP for me and has the best economy as well.

But the fact it takes months to get one skill out of 36 to a level 99 is just repetitive, boring and it feels like im slowly dying...

Ive been playing since the very first wave or EGA.

My main is now almost level 22.

Ive been playing 4/5 hours a day i would say, i also have a couple of Alts, none above 10.

The thing is, there is SO much to do without levelling.

Ive spent 5 hours alone chasing after Datacron's. Running around looking for Arch materials takes a lot of my time as well.

Getting involved in my guild Flashpoints and World Boss runs takes up time.

If you were to just solo play it like a RPG and not an MMO i can totally understand why it would seem really quick.

I do agree 100% though that Warzone Xp needs to be scaled down. 12k for a loss at level 19 after 15 minutes is well too much.

If you got to level 50 in three days I want to see how they did it because over the last year in beta that could not happen.

Time wise.. story wise, server wise.. I do not think it is possible without a exploit or cheating method.

Time wise clicking space bar faster then a monkey on crack could still not make that happen... in the way it was intended.

I agree it is pretty fast but at the same time, there is no reason to just play one thing.. or not start into the endgame.

There is more to come, I do not think they are done with the endgame yet as they have clearly stated.

Not to be an ***.. but there is 8 lvl50 in my guild and they all reached lvl50 in around 3d5h~4d

I'm personnaly at lvl35 with 1d15h (and on this, I have at least 4 hours of AFK crew skill farming while I was doing something else on the computer)

3days++ is totaly acceptable.

Leveling to max takes months?

No thanks :/

Yeah it's one of those conundrums. I would love games to take "forever' to level through my first play through, but be shortened somehow for alts (that's what I meant by I wouldn't like it a year from now). No easy answer to this I'm afraid.

I only do Quests at the moment. I don't do warzones, and I rarely, if ever, do the heroics. I'm about to leave Taris at 23 headed to NarShaada/Tattoine, which is right on target. The world levels are based on the above playstyle. They simply don't take heroics, warzones, space combat, etc., into calculations. I really don't think they have to, because if that were the case, every player would be -forced- to grind warzones, flashpoints, heroics, and daily space combat in order to keep pace with the class stories and world levels. That's no fun, and even more "on rails" than the current system. The game is designed so you have alternatives. If you want to do every possible skill gain imaginable, then great, but don't complain when you actually do level FASTER than other people.

^ This

So your not level 50, yet you are commenting on the time it takes to get there being to fast?

you must be an expert

Friends of mine are already 50. No need to be an expert to use Team Speak and talk about the game issues you know :)

The trying of alts is a part of swtor experience, yes, but when you can see through 8 lvl 50s in two months, I think that's a bit overdoing it. In my opinion the leveling should be slowed down, at least where warzones and space combat are considered. Another possibility is to give us an option to choose the rewards on warzones - either XP or something else, or to give us the choice to turn off XP on warzones.

I like PvP and now I can't do it while leveling, since I want to also experience the planets, to explore and to take my time with the quests. I'm lvl 24 still on Taris, haven't yet set a foot on Nar Shaddaa, which I'm probably overleveled by the time I get there. This is so not good. I was thinking of skipping Nar Shaddaa altogether and to return there with an alt, but my class story leads me there in any case. *sigh* Choices choices...

If you slow down the leveling, you're going to destroy the leveling curve. Know How planet say 24-28. 28-32, etc? Well, if you lower XP for quests, you won't hit those levels just doing solo quests and nothing else. I'm on Voss right now, Level 46, having done 7 Warzones (forthe daily quest) and Black Talon when I was 11. If XP was lowered to slow down the leveling curve, I'd have quests for Voss that I'd be unable to complete without being forced to do group content, something that Bioware has stated they won't do. So unless you're talking about lowering XP on everything but solo quests, it won't work.

Here is what I do: Complete a quest world, then do the flashpoints about three to eight times, until I have the newest and best equipment, then I do three or four space fights, ... and lo and behold, I am already five levels over the foreseen level for the next quest world.

Continue like this and the game gets boring quickly becouse of being too powerful for everything related to the story arc and quests.

I'm actually doing as much content as possible in this game, because I really love the background.

However, this means starting Tatooine at level 30, which is not something that should happen. Did I do something wrong in the game, to be ahead of content as I am? No. If only I were doing the same heroics again and again, I would even not dare to post about the XP issue at all.

Well, I think I'm playing this game as developers expected me to play this game. Exploring the content of this game is not grinding, or I do not have the same definition of grinding as other people have.

Once again, it will take time before the Bioware teams can fix the main issues and polish the game, which IMHO is one of the most important goal to reach before part of the community has reached the level 50. Otherwise, pressure will be on fixing problems instead of adding content...

No way, leave my leveling speed alone.

I play like 1 hour a day, i don't want to have to grind for fricken weeks to get a few levels.

I love how it doesn't feel like i have to have no life to get ahead and level in this game.

Can the OP please read this,

Some of us have other things to do as well.

If you run out of things to do you probably play too much.

Now, thats your fault not the devs.:)