Leveling to 50 - it's way too fast

Trimsic

I personally try and do all the side quests. I do them for the chance at more dark side points. :) Also, I like the commendations, the more commendations the better the gear you can get. But my concern here is , if you do all the content on one planet, then you get tons of commendations. The problem with getting that many commendations is that you not only end up at a higher level than needed for the next planet, but you are also geared very well for it. Which in turn, makes the planet much too easy. There is no challenge.

Although, I will admit that leveling is a tad fast. If they could could slow it by 20-30% that would make me happy. I intend on rolling multiple alts, so I am sticking around.

Edited by XOrionX

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many other people, I am enjoying the story of the game so far. I am in no rush to make level 50 as I am enjoying the journey of getting there. :cool:

I do think that there needs to be some really good story driven end game content for people that do reach level 50. For me when I reach level 50, I am going to make another character and play that character to level 50. Right now I have a Jedi Warrior, next I am going to do a Sith.

I think that BioWare has done an excellent job at the game so far. The only gripe that I have right now and it is a minor gripe, is the lack of costume customization. This is only a gripe because in DC Universe we had a good deal of costume customization from the start. This for me is not really an issue though. In that game I reached level 30 and then lost interest because it really just fell short for me. The end game content was boring and in my mind was not worth the subscription fee.

That is what is going to keep this game alive, end game content, updates and expansion packs. On the other hand if you are playing 8 hours a day or more, then the game is not going to last that long. ;)

I explore the content of the game: all quests, 1 or 2 space combats per day, flash points done once, 1 or 2 war zones a day, etc.

This is why you think you are leveling too fast. BW made it so that going through your story and the non-heroic, non-bonus series area quests will take you to 50. You are doing significantly more than that. this is why you are overleveling.

Why does it matter if you gain a level to a quest? Not everything has to be for visual gain, enjoying a story can be good enough!

I look at it more like planets have level recommendations so that you don't go to high or what not, but I have no problem finishing a quest line and get no XP for it, perhaps some credits and what not, but enjoying the story as it was fun.

I'll admit easy content becomes tedious, but unless you do so much side stuff other than questions...i'd think the most likely scenario would be to get quests mostly green wise. So it's like playing easy/normal on an FPS.

No way, leave my leveling speed alone.

I play like 1 hour a day, i don't want to have to grind for fricken weeks to get a few levels.

I love how it doesn't feel like i have to have no life to get ahead and level in this game.

Amen. Under normal circumstances, 2 missions a day is pretty good. I would have a problem if I couldn't make reasonable progress playing like that.

And lets be honest here, if you're a company who gets subscription fees for making new content, then players who go through that content rapidly are not the customers you want to chase.

Not all of us put 8+ hours into SWTOR on a daily basis. Let's say all the new 50's did aside from playing was eat and sleep for these three days. We can bet that they spent 14+ hours a day on their character, skipping dialog in quests and encounters just to level faster.

A person playing two hours a day would take three weeks to reach the amount of playtime these 50's racked up in three days.

Skipping quest dialog is MUCH faster than listening to it and enjoying the story and content that was intended for the player to experience.

Don't say that they leveled fast. We're leveling at the same rate, and I'm only 24. I just haven't played as long yet.

My recommendation if you are outleveling planets is to just do the story line on a couple planets until you get back in line with the recommended level, or else all the content will be way too easy.

Then do that planet content on your next character.

No, its not and your point is completely irrelevant. Casuals who rush less are going to run into this issue way more than players who rush due to rested xp. You don't even need to do heroics, flashpoints, warzones, and space missions and you outlevel the content you are supposed to be doing. That is broken.

You don't need to do every mission on every planet. Having alternate paths of advancement is normally considered a good thing for a game to have. Take those ideas and put them together in your brain. You only outlevel if you do everything, and the game is not designed for you to do everything on every character.

I'm retired. That means I have hours upon hours per day to play if I wish.

I was also a full beta tester.

At no time did I give feedback during beta that leveling was "too fast." Nor would I now because in my personal opinion, I would be stating that, because I can level at this pace due to the fact that I am retired and have multiple hours of free time per day, everyone else should be able to do so as well - and that would be a factually erroneous and downright arrogant statement for me to make. Not everyone has the amount of free time that I do, not everyone figures things out at the same pace that I do, and not everyone levels or plays games in the same manner that I do.

The fact that my main happens to be one of the three highest level toons in my guild is meaningless because I am not the average player. My alt is at the average level for toons in my guild, and my Sith alt is as well. Yet another alt is around level 10 or so.

While my friends are at work, I'm playing SWTOR. But that certainly doesn't mean that because I can level very quickly due to the amount of free time that I have, my experiences in beta, and other factors, the game's leveling needs to be slowed or gated. Most players have, at best, an hour or two a day plus a few hours on weekends to dedicate to the game. Those of us with more time and who level quickly are the exception, not the rule.

I can see the same issue as in the Beta version of the game: leveling to 50 is way too fast.

For instance, when I started Tatooine yesterday I was almost level 30. Tatooine is supposed to be done by players whose level is 24-28, and indeed the quests and the mobs on this planet are of that level.

My play style is rather very common: I explore the content of the game: all quests, 1 or 2 space combats per day, flash points done once, 1 or 2 war zones a day, etc... And I'm not bashing at all, as I hate that.

The reasons for being always ahead of content in this game are:

- Quests are rewarding too much XP

- War zones are rewarding too much XP

- Space combats are rewarding too much XP

As a consequence, you can see people that have already reached level 50...

Now, imagine I'm a Bioware developer who spent 5 years on that project, and I can see people being level 50 in 3 days. When you know all the content that is available in this game between level 1 and 50, this is just an awful situation.

If I were a Bioware project leader, I would know two important things: 1) there are plenty of bugs left in this game, and 2) the content is not yet finished / polished. I agree that there are no show-stoppers, but there are still a lot of severe and medium issues that are painful for the general gameplay. It takes time to fix these long list of issues, and therefore having the possibility to reach the level 50 so quickly does not give the developers the opportunity to fix them all on time.

Therefore, as many games before SWTOR that failed for the exact same reasons, I'm starting to doubt about the future of this game.

=> Biowave, please open up your eyes, and react before it's too late.

People felt like it was too long and too linear so there you go buffed xp.

I for one would have loved to do all quest on a planet before moving to the other, but some people have such a wierd concept of grinding that they needed to buff xp. '' I wanna get to 50 fast if not the game is too grindy''. I saw who cares when you hit max level as long as your enjoying the journey.

If you dont like to play and feel the game is like a task.. why even play?

Edited by boobaffet

Oddly I actually sort of agree with OP. It seems really easy to outlevel your zones if you do the varied FPs, group quests etc even once. On one hand this isn't a terrible thing as it allows for pretty hefty replayability, on the other it must be a nightmare for anyone who's a completionist at all.

That being said, better to have too much content than too little, and that currently seems the only issue. There is more content out there than you can do while leveling. It takes most games years to get to this point, pretty neat to see it day one of SWTOR. Still, I hope there's lots of room for progress in end game because it does seem pretty quick atm.

Edited by SWImara

I'm retired. That means I have hours upon hours per day to play if I wish.

I was also a full beta tester.

At no time did I give feedback during beta that leveling was "too fast." Nor would I now because in my personal opinion, I would be stating that, because I can level at this pace due to the fact that I am retired and have multiple hours of free time per day, everyone else should be able to do so as well - and that would be a factually erroneous and downright arrogant statement for me to make. Not everyone has the amount of free time that I do, not everyone figures things out at the same pace that I do, and not everyone levels or plays games in the same manner that I do.

The fact that my main happens to be one of the three highest level toons in my guild is meaningless because I am not the average player. My alt is at the average level for toons in my guild, and my Sith alt is as well. Yet another alt is around level 10 or so.

While my friends are at work, I'm playing SWTOR. But that certainly doesn't mean that because I can level very quickly due to the amount of free time that I have, my experiences in beta, and other factors, the game's leveling needs to be slowed or gated. Most players have, at best, an hour or two a day plus a few hours on weekends to dedicate to the game. Those of us with more time and who level quickly are the exception, not the rule.

/respect.

Seriously, at least you're 100% open and honest about it and that I give much respect to.

You have more time to play, and that's fine. I'm on vacation until next week. I have tons of time right now to play. But once that ends I'm back to work 9 hours a day with a 2 hour commute each way.

I can see the same issue as in the Beta version of the game: leveling to 50 is way too fast.

For instance, when I started Tatooine yesterday I was almost level 30. Tatooine is supposed to be done by players whose level is 24-28, and indeed the quests and the mobs on this planet are of that level.

My play style is rather very common: I explore the content of the game: all quests, 1 or 2 space combats per day, flash points done once, 1 or 2 war zones a day, etc... And I'm not bashing at all, as I hate that.

Now, imagine I'm a Bioware developer who spent 5 years on that project, and I can see people being level 50 in 3 days. When you know all the content that is available in this game between level 1 and 50, this is just an awful situation.

If I were a Bioware project leader, I would know two important things: 1) there are plenty of bugs left in this game, and 2) the content is not yet finished / polished. I agree that there are no show-stoppers, but there are still a lot of severe and medium issues that are painful for the general gameplay. It takes time to fix these long list of issues, and therefore having the possibility to reach the level 50 so quickly does not give the developers the opportunity to fix them all on time.

Therefore, as many games before SWTOR that failed for the exact same reasons, I'm starting to doubt about the future of this game.

The Problem why you outlevel the planets is because you do all the quests.

I'm soloing a lot an for me the XP from Quests are just enough to go to next planet.

If you outlevel things do this:

1)Class and World Quests + Bonus Series + Space (No Flashpoints no Heroics)

Or this:

2)Class and World Quests + Space + Heroics (No Flashpoints no Heroics no Bonus Series)

Or this:

3)Class and World Quests + Flashpoints+ Space(No Heroics no Bonus Series)

Option 1 is for solo playing

Option 2 and 3 are for people who like to Group a lot

BW said you can solo to lvl50, if the change the XP it is not possible anymore.

The leveltime in old WoW was to much, it took me 16(days)x24(Hours)=304Hours

In SWTOR i want lo level at least 4 Chars to 50.

Edited by Skarus

Space missions and warzone missions should just not be repeatable, I think that solves a lot of the issue. I ran Voidstar with a PUG and we got stomped on by a good Imp team, I still got 7k xp for the round and another 8.5k for participating in 1 warzone match. That's 15 minutes for 15k xp, then you go and repeat some space missions and get roughly 10k for another 10 minutes.

The rewards are fine, but there needs to be some diminishing returns IMO.

I remember the time when reaching level 50 on DAoC required about 20-25 days of played time. This means about 500 hours in the game.

On WoW it required about 10-15 days of played time (some managed to do it in 7 days). This means about 250 hours in the game.

In SWToR, you can reach level 50 in about 80 hours. This is a no sense, since SWToR has at least 2x, 3x times the content of WoW in the leveling phase, and about 10x times the content of DAoC... And these are facts, not an opinion. So why should the required played time of SWToR (to reach level 50) be smaller than the required playtime of those games ?

I remember the time when reaching level 50 on DAoC required about 20-25 days of played time. This means about 500 hours in the game.

On WoW it required about 10-15 days of played time (some managed to do it in 7 days). This means about 250 hours in the game.

In SWToR, you can reach level 50 in about 80 hours. This is a no sense, since SWToR has at least 2x, 3x times the content of WoW in the leveling phase, and about 10x times the content of DAoC... And these are facts, not an opinion. So why should the required played time of SWToR (to reach level 50) be smaller than the required playtime of those games ?

But there was a lot of grinding in DAoC in fact ther was just grinding mobs.

I prefer shorter lvltime and less grinding.

My SI is now level 38 and Played time is 68 Hours i doubt it that i will reach level 50 in 80 Hours not without skipping cutscenes.

Unfortunately I believe this is part of the issue. When designers create a game they do not take into account that people have as much time as this to play each day in a game. Two space missions a day, flash points done each day (level 30 I assume you're doing what... three by now?), 2 war zones a day... this in itself is a good 4+ hours of gaming, and it doesn't even include questing! I think some people need to try and span out what they are doing in-game. It just seems like alot to squeeze in a day to me, and this would make content go by alot quicker. To each their own though i guess.

Ya this is a big problem I see with this game. If you do more than your class story, you will outlevel the content very easily. I now limit myself to avoiding mobs and doing warzones so I can maybe stay within rec level range of the next planet I have to go to. Edited by LoL-K-Noob

They have stated that class quests plus a few other main quests are all that is needed to progress through the game on par with level. If you are completing everything on the planet before you leave, they have stated you WILL outlevel the content.

Stop being a completionist. Just get to 50 then have some fun.

They are banking heavily on people making LOTS of alts. The fully voiced aspect is also going to make new content slower to put out as well. I am curious how they are going to try to handle people easily reaching 50 inside the trail period.

I hope they are banking on making end game VAST and WIDE.

Even though I have barely stepped foot into the game, I can already see that I will have 8 level 50 characters by the end of summer.

I've played LOTRO for almost 5 years now and only have 6 max level toons (3 - 75, 3 between 65-70).

I know end game content isn't there yet, but hopefully they have a lot of rabbits in their hats for this.

----------

EDIT: and I just wanted to point out that by saying I'll have 8 level 50 toons.... My first few will take quite a while to get there... It's the last few that will not take near as long.

Edited by FooBard