Leveling to 50 - it's way too fast

Trimsic

And lets be honest here, if you're a company who gets subscription fees for making new content, then players who go through that content rapidly are not the customers you want to chase.

Yeah, the top of that data set is going to chew through content too fast. They always do.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are banking heavily on people making LOTS of alts. The fully voiced aspect is also going to make new content slower to put out as well. I am curious how they are going to try to handle people easily reaching 50 inside the trail period.

trail period? you mean EGA? I put in way more hours than I should and I'm only now lvl 33. Anyone who got to 50 during EGA did some serious dmg to their body and it's highly abnormal.

I can see the same issue as in the Beta version of the game: leveling to 50 is way too fast.

For instance, when I started Tatooine yesterday I was almost level 30. Tatooine is supposed to be done by players whose level is 24-28, and indeed the quests and the mobs on this planet are of that level.

My play style is rather very common: I explore the content of the game: all quests, 1 or 2 space combats per day, flash points done once, 1 or 2 war zones a day, etc... And I'm not bashing at all, as I hate that.

The reasons for being always ahead of content in this game are:

- Quests are rewarding too much XP

- War zones are rewarding too much XP

- Space combats are rewarding too much XP

As a consequence, you can see people that have already reached level 50...

Now, imagine I'm a Bioware developer who spent 5 years on that project, and I can see people being level 50 in 3 days. When you know all the content that is available in this game between level 1 and 50, this is just an awful situation.

If I were a Bioware project leader, I would know two important things: 1) there are plenty of bugs left in this game, and 2) the content is not yet finished / polished. I agree that there are no show-stoppers, but there are still a lot of severe and medium issues that are painful for the general gameplay. It takes time to fix these long list of issues, and therefore having the possibility to reach the level 50 so quickly does not give the developers the opportunity to fix them all on time.

Therefore, as many games before SWTOR that failed for the exact same reasons, I'm starting to doubt about the future of this game.

=> Biowave, please open up your eyes, and react before it's too late.

/troll

If the developers can keep the new content rolling at a consistent enough basis, I don't care too much about the leveling speed. But if people can get three characters from 0 to 50 before the release their first expansion, then they'd better have a lot of endgame activity or most people with end their subscriptions after a year and a half.

I remember the time when reaching level 50 on DAoC required about 20-25 days of played time. This means about 500 hours in the game.

On WoW it required about 10-15 days of played time (some managed to do it in 7 days). This means about 250 hours in the game.

In SWToR, you can reach level 50 in about 80 hours. This is a no sense, since SWToR has at least 2x, 3x times the content of WoW in the leveling phase, and about 10x times the content of DAoC... And these are facts, not an opinion. So why should the required played time of SWToR (to reach level 50) be smaller than the required playtime of those games ?

It's a game, dude. No way the majority of subscribers are hitting the cap in 80 hours. Sure, no-lifers are....it's easy when they have ALL DAY AND NIGHT to grind, played beta and are skipping conversations left and right.

It's not a race. Take your time. I know I am.

I don't understand what the issue you're having is. You are saying that you want to be exactly at the proper level for each new planet if you do all the content in the game. There is no currently popular MMO in the western world which forces a player to do all the content or be behind. WoW allows you to skip literally 2/3 of all content and still max out - possibly far more if you use their referral program. What do you want Bioware to do, again? If you are not challenged then try soloing some group content. It's possible to solo the 2+ group quests, if you're slightly overleveled.

I can see the same issue as in the Beta version of the game: leveling to 50 is way too fast.

For instance, when I started Tatooine yesterday I was almost level 30. Tatooine is supposed to be done by players whose level is 24-28, and indeed the quests and the mobs on this planet are of that level.

My play style is rather very common: I explore the content of the game: all quests, 1 or 2 space combats per day, flash points done once, 1 or 2 war zones a day, etc... And I'm not bashing at all, as I hate that.

The reasons for being always ahead of content in this game are:

- Quests are rewarding too much XP

- War zones are rewarding too much XP

- Space combats are rewarding too much XP

As a consequence, you can see people that have already reached level 50...

Now, imagine I'm a Bioware developer who spent 5 years on that project, and I can see people being level 50 in 3 days. When you know all the content that is available in this game between level 1 and 50, this is just an awful situation.

If I were a Bioware project leader, I would know two important things: 1) there are plenty of bugs left in this game, and 2) the content is not yet finished / polished. I agree that there are no show-stoppers, but there are still a lot of severe and medium issues that are painful for the general gameplay. It takes time to fix these long list of issues, and therefore having the possibility to reach the level 50 so quickly does not give the developers the opportunity to fix them all on time.

Therefore, as many games before SWTOR that failed for the exact same reasons, I'm starting to doubt about the future of this game.

=> Biowave, please open up your eyes, and react before it's too late.

Shut up let everyon enjoy there game

It's possible to out-level the content if you do other content, yes, but I think they wanted the leveling to still work for players who don't do the flashpoints, heroics, warzones, space combat, or anything else other than the quests. If you do anything else, you're going to level faster.

As to whether level 50 comes to fast or not, how many hours does it take for someone who does just the regular questing? 40? 100? I've probably put in 20 or so and I'm level 19. I think it's about right.

Exactly! If you run through JUST the class quests (spacebarring through all the conversations) you can pretty much power-level a toon in a few days with round the clock playing. But... you miss ALOT.

I love the fact that I don't have to stand in the middle of a static spawn of *insert random creature name here* for 6 months to level a toon.

Leveling in this game is FUN, its rewarding, there are many different ways to do it based on your preferences and it keeps you interested. If you like a game where you have to grind to level, go play City of Heroes. Grinding sucks and its so 5 years ago.

In addition, Bioware made it possible to do most of the content at any level. Its nice to start pvping at lvl 10 instead of having to wait until your lvl 50 to be a viable PvP threat. Plus you get real XP for pvp too, so if thats your game, you dont even have to do the story line.

I love the way Bioware is catering to all different play styles (and combos of play styles) with the XP system.

Personally, I'm traditionally a very slow leveler in MMOS, unless I get into a power level group. With this system, i can ENJOY THE GAME and level at my own pace. I can PvP, PvE, do space, craft or just jerk around and kill stuff and still get XP towards my end-game. In addition, I have the option to make as many toons as I want and play them any way I want.

To the OP: Stop crying about things like this that make this game BETTER. Its people like you who brought about the CU and the NGE in SWG.

They are banking heavily on people making LOTS of alts. The fully voiced aspect is also going to make new content slower to put out as well. I am curious how they are going to try to handle people easily reaching 50 inside the trail period.

They didn't do it 'easily'. They just don't have jobs or a life.

In single player games you can reach max level relatively quickly. Skyrim, for example, has people hitting level 50 in a day of play.

Those people also dedicate an entire day to do so.

For people like me, who have lives outside of the game and can only devote an hour or so once in a while, this is deliberate.

While there are a lot of people who think nothing of spending 18 hours or more a day on a game doing nothing but grinding and leveling, there are those who simply cannot.

I would also venture to say that the majority of people who play cannot dedicate 18 hours or more a day like the professional gamers out there who have nothing else to do.

The leveling speed is fine. It keeps the common average everyday person interested enough to sub. Otherwise we drop off, and you are left with a handful of "l33t" players who live on the game.

If you leveled too fast, I would suggest either rolling alts, or interspersing other activities between your gaming.

I did every single quest on Balmaara including the bonus series and by the time I left I was level 24-25. So I'd pretty much outleveled all the Nar Shadaa content to the point where all I did there was the class quests. But that also got me another level or so. Now on Tatooine I just hit 30 and have done most of the quests there so now I think I may be overleveled a bit for Alderaan. I think that it did seem a little fast and they could maybe nerf some of the xp gains a bit so you have more of a reason to do more quests in those areas since its such a story driven game and you'd have more of a reason to do those sidequests.

I don't understand what the issue you're having is. You are saying that you want to be exactly at the proper level for each new planet if you do all the content in the game. There is no currently popular MMO in the western world which forces a player to do all the content or be behind. WoW allows you to skip literally 2/3 of all content and still max out - possibly far more if you use their referral program. What do you want Bioware to do, again? If you are not challenged then try soloing some group content. It's possible to solo the 2+ group quests, if you're slightly overleveled.

WoW used to requrie you to do every quest out there(other than repeating starting areas) and run dungeons to hit max level without grinding. Even with doing dungeons a few times and most quests many people could find themselves grinding to level. Back when it was actually gaining subs anyway. Now when it is hemoraging subscribers it is as you described. You can skip most the game and hit max level in no time. So people get bored and quit.

Edited by Striker

You're so right, it should only take 2-3 days to get to max level. I hate how slow the leveling is, and that is not sarcasm.
2 or 3 days...Then what? End Game?

So many people complaining about a "grind" makes me lol. As long as there are quests with a story (even side quests) then you aren't grinding. A grind is when you have to go out and 'grind' mobs for no other reason than XP because you've ran out of quests to level with. This game doesn't have that and still wouldn't if quest XP was lessened somewhat.

Instead of seeing the outleveling as a bad thing, I think it works out for the best. What it enabled a person to do, if they so choose, is to fully explore a planet, then effectively skip another (except class story) ...fully do the next... repeat.

What this should allow, is that any alts could now fully do the ones you skipped, and skip the ones you did entirely. Hopefully, that will allow you to not "burnout" on the planet arc and side quests when leveling alts.

Personally, I'm playing my main through every planet in entirety... i'm only 27 now and heading to Tatooine for first time.

Future characters i'll skip side quests and do just enough to reach the next planet to speed things along.