Can we, as a community, eliminate the "Grass" and "Snow" in Alderaan?

Bewoulff

When I started PVP in DEC I called out east/west. By about Jan I was told touse snow grass in civil war due to people knowing that better than e/w. So ok what ever. Now fast forward to June. As long as the person guarding the door/node calls something when they need help is all that really matters. left right east west grass snow all are directions to where help is needed and work. If your such a great PVPer you should know where the help is needed even with "Help" being the only all. As long as the call goes out. If you are dong the calling callit what you will as long as u get the help!!!!

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This!

Because most people will recognize grass and snow easier and with quicker reaction time and by the time any of us become useful in PvP we ALL know where grass and snow is.

Also... (sorry Fezzie)

Women... they further prove my point. Check studies that have been done and women are naturally bad with directions and my girl who is brilliant, at the age of 31 if I asked her to go west her head would possibly explode. No offense intended but it is fact.

We DO have a lot of chicks on this game...

No offense taken. I'm a woman that plays and I'm directionally challenged. I know, I embrace it.

Again, it's personal preference. If you're calling out east/west, this healer will take a bit longer to get to you.

No offense taken. I'm a woman that plays and I'm directionally challenged. I know, I embrace it.

Again, it's personal preference. If you're calling out east/west, this healer will take a bit longer to get to you.

lol, my fiance can't stand Grass / Snow and prefers East / West.

The amusing part is that she is also directionally challenged, and probably couldn't tell you East from West anywhere outside of a WZ map.

Well, after the first couple of games having learned that west is mostly grassy and east is completely snowy, I am able to put the complex puzzle pieces together to come to the ambiguous conclusion that when a team mates says grass, he means west. and if he says west, that also means the grassy node. For someone new, sure, I can see this being confusing. But so are most other things about a new game. They'll get the hang of it eventually.

East/West never had to be learned. East is always East; West is always West. I'm valor 61 and never actually made the connection which side is mostly snow or mostly grass. When on defense I don't sit back and go "my there is a lot of snow here" while the shadow caps the turret.... no I put one eye on turret the other eye on enemy attack approaches/expertise power ups (some stealth think they are sneaking picking up the powerups... that just lets me know they are there). I never payed attention because it never mattered. East is east, west is west, pwe pew sith on the turrets SCREAM if more show up. No matter what WZ you are in (or what more they add....) East/west will never change. They are universal... so thats what I use.

To all those saying "Its understood snow/grass by now..." Don't be so egocentric... whereas everyone with a basic education knows what east/west is on a map, not every server uses snow/grass. I never once heard anyone call snow/grass in the time it took me to reach valor 61 (say what you will about all the war hero people, you still play a ton of matches to get to 61) on SoE.

That being said, Voidstar was always the problem on SoE. We never clicked on what to call each door. Half the people wanted to use left/right as you spawn, the other half wanted to use left/right off the minimap... then there were idiots who would just call left/right based on where they were. I guess the idiots are always going to be idiots... but I had to always spend a few seconds figuring out if left=left, or left=other left (unless I was on the door being mobbed or there were no sith my side)

As far as everyone going

1. It is a fact that many kids (ages 6-17) play this game and have no freaking clue which way East or West is. In fact, McDonald's cash registers do not even have numbers on them anymore, just pictures of the food, because people are so uneducated. If kids can't understand how to press "1.00" on a cash register, how do you expect them to know East from West? SWTOR is dominated by kids who cannot comprehend East/West. But they all get "grass" and "snow", except for the ones from tropical locations (no idea what snow is) or arctic locations (no idea what grass is). Yes, that last part is humor.

2. Other than mid (which is, um, in the middle...), the sides change as you move your character around, relative to your facing. If you use East/West, at the least, people have to look at the minimap first. But grass/snow is VISUAL, they can just look at the screen and see lots of green-ness, or lots of white-ness, and know where to go. So, its faster (in combat) to just look for the large splash of color rather than the mini-map.

3. Typos. West (look at your keyboard) can be typoed as "est" (finger misses the "W"), East can by typoed as Wast. Even if you totally mind fart typo, "grs" and "snw" are still unique enough to remove ambiguity.

4. Voidstar. Voidstar's map IS BACKWARDS. Right is west (not east), and left is East (not west). As you PvP from map to map, East and West change, and that's hard. Its easier to memorize Voidstar's map (east/west), and then just use "grass/snow" for Civil War to avoid the mental gymnastics involved.

tl;dr kids are ignorant, grass/snow is easier because its visual.

Honestly at this point how can anyone get confused on this map.

If you are out in the woods with a real map, one thing that helps make sense of it is to "orient" the map so that symbolic north is aligned with real north, etc.

For the Imps, the mini map is upside down from their view. (This is the situation of Pubs in Void Star: from the regen area, west is to the right.)

This sort of mental gymnastics (left on the map means right in the WZ) IS confusing , and it's easy to get wrong.

I tend to say "left" and "right"; sometimes "west" or "east", but I don't have a problem with "grass" or "snow". If I am guarding a turret, I always sub-vocalize the side I'm on when things are quiet so that I won't have to figure it out under a high adrenaline situation.

If you cannot figure out which way is east and west on the civil war map, you really have no business hitting the queue button.

And then, in the real world, the kids who are "C- / D+" gpa and like to listen to Hanna Montana hit the queue button....

And you need them at your turret. You can either:

a. Gamble, and say "east" or "west"

b. Play it safe, and say "grass" or "snow"

Choose wisely!

Edited by Zaodon

But why do we need to add the extra thought process, especially for newer players who don't know yet. If someone says "go west", I go west. If someone says "grass", I have make the connection that grass is west and I need to go west.

then you are fail... you dont pay attention to where your character is oriented while you fight?.. lol YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE PPL who run the wrong way in hutball arent you? i have actually decided i am going to roll a sorc soon to pull my own teammates into the fire :) ones like you

then you are fail... you dont pay attention to where your character is oriented while you fight?.. lol YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE PPL who run the wrong way in hutball arent you? i have actually decided i am going to roll a sorc soon to pull my own teammates into the fire :) ones like you

I don't pay attention to the grass growing near the node either, OR the pretty snow at my feet.

I pay attention to the terrain itself (height, slope, LoS spots, etc), my positioning, my enemies' positioning, where reinforcements may be coming from, and whether we need reinforcing anywhere.

If you're busy staring at the pretty blades of grass while enemies are attacking, I think I'd much rather have the guy you quoted on my team. <.<

If you cannot figure out which way is east and west on the civil war map, you really have no business hitting the queue button.

Is that really fair though?

Grass/Snow are indicators, and are easily implemented for the purposes of situational awareness.

*I'm at grass and snow is being attack.*

*I'm at west and east is being attacked*

What is the difference here besides preference?

I'd been gone from SWTOR for some time and just heard that for the first time today I was wondering what the hell they were talking about, now I know and I don't plan to adapt to that nonsense. I use direction and color. They are the only sensible ways to tell people which turret needs assistance.

You say Grass or Snow you know EXACTLY where to go no matter what side you started from, you say East West that is going to change every match that you start on the other side. I would prefer knowing exactly where to go no matter where I start from and make it super easy.

Faith in humanity -1

If you cannot figure out which way is east and west OR FIGURE OUT WHICH IS GRASS AND WHICH IS SNOW on the civil war map, you really have no business hitting the queue button.

Fixed...

+1

This is such a silly thing to fuss about. What about something real, like getting chain stunned and killed without being able to get a lick in?

I cant believe this has gone one for seven pages! I didnt realize this could be such a controversial topic O_o. I still vote for situational awareness. I know most of us played one FPS or another and there are nicknames for every spot on the map because no one has time.to look at the silly mini map and figure out how may meters or whatever they need to travel to, but they know where the "heli" or poppy fields are.

Anyway like someone said earlier. If.they cant figure out where they are and how to get where they need to be with minimal direction they will probably not be much use when they get there anyway.

You say Grass or Snow you know EXACTLY where to go no matter what side you started from, you say East West that is going to change every match that you start on the other side. I would prefer knowing exactly where to go no matter where I start from and make it super easy.

The problem is that if you're guarding mid, you have no idea which side has grass and which side has snow (because of the walls enclosing the area) without picking a random direction and running that way until you can see over the wall.

This whole issue would be completely eliminated if Bioware would rotate the map 90 degrees. That way, the factions start on the left and right, and the turrets are North, South and Mid for everyone no matter what side you start on.

Edited by YanksfanJP

The problem is that if you're guarding mid, you have no idea which side has grass and which side has snow (because of the walls enclosing the area) without picking a random direction and running that way until you can see over the wall.

This whole issue would be completely eliminated if Bioware would rotate the map 90 degrees. That way, the factions start on the left and right, and the turrets are North, South and Mid for everyone no matter what side you start on.

Some people would still call grass/snow. I think its the players with FPS backgrounds that started/continue it. We/They use landmarks/map deviations to identify key positions in maps.

I prefer to use the good ole and reliable "left" "mid" and "right" designations. Now what really needs help is that mess of a WZ voidstar where left is right, and right is left and up is down and down is up depending on where you start. Most people just give up and say "Help on OTHER" door.