Can we, as a community, eliminate the "Grass" and "Snow" in Alderaan?

Bewoulff

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people would still call grass/snow. I think its the players with FPS backgrounds that started/continue it. We/They use landmarks/map deviations to identify key positions in maps.

It's actually Voidstar, not Alderaan, that needs something changed to help this. If you're defending and you come out of the spawn and someone is calling INC RIGHT there's no way to tell if they mean right from the spawn point or right on the minimap.

What they need to do is have one of the doors be blue and one of the doors be orange, both on the door itself and on the minimap too.

It's actually Voidstar, not Alderaan, that needs something changed to help this. If you're defending and you come out of the spawn and someone is calling INC RIGHT there's no way to tell if they mean right from the spawn point or right on the minimap.

What they need to do is have one of the doors be blue and one of the doors be orange, both on the door itself and on the minimap too.

I concur about voidstar. Colors, big letters, different shaped doors anything to help easily identify.

btw, I played my first civil war as an empire toon today and I was competly turned around backwards with the scoreboard layout and everything. The one thing I could count on knowing was where to runto when someone said snow and someone said grass.

I think this is becoming an issue since the server merges. I would imagine that most people do what everyone else on their server did before them. If you come from a snow/grass server, then the terminology seem perfectly normal. If not, then maybe you find it annoying. The real issue isn't east/west or snow/grass....the real issue is left/right. *** does left or right mean to me?? Can't all the snow/grassers and east/westers band together to persecute the left/righters? These are our real enemies, let's not get caught up in fighting amongst ourselves while there are still people out there yelling "help left", thus causing us all to wonder "wait, is it left from facing the spawn exit, or the doors, or maybe it's the turret map?? I'll just have to open my map and see where there's only one guy". Remember the call of your true enemy....lefty/righty

I concur about voidstar. Colors, big letters, different shaped doors anything to help easily identify.

btw, I played my first civil war as an empire toon today and I was competly turned around backwards with the scoreboard layout and everything. The one thing I could count on knowing was where to runto when someone said snow and someone said grass.

The only problem I have with Snow and Grass is what I've said above - if you're in the middle, you can't tell which direction is snow and which direction is grass. Otherwise, I have no problem with it at all. They need to put some peepholes or glass windows in the walls at the middle turret just so you can tell which direction is which when you're there.

I'll admit, I don't pay attention to that. I don't care which side has grass or snow. In fact, both have snow and both have grass. I say we go off of the already established and universally understood "north, south, east, west" directions. I can't tell you how many games of Alderaan or Voidstar I've played where people say "right" when if their screen is oriented north they are in fact "left". Or people say grass and I have no idea what they are talking about. The minimap is always oriented north, so this makes it the most accurate way to call directions.

Here the problem with calling east and west there are a lot of ppl that cant tell north from south and east from west. so we have ppl going the wrong way alot of the time. when you think about it snow and grass work 99% of the time as there is mostly 1 person that does not know what that is.

Edited by Neoforcer

Here the problem with calling east and west there are a lot of ppl that cant tell north from south and east from west. so we have ppl going the wrong way alot of the time when you think about it snow and grass work 99% of the time as there is mostly 1 person that does not know what that is.

There's a difference between not knowing east/west/north/south than there is from not knowing left/right.

If a person doesn't know what someone means when they say east or west, that's because that person is an idiot who needs to go back to school to learn cardinal directions. However, if a person doesn't know what someone means when they say left or right, it's likely because of a difference in point of reference. Left and Right depend on the point of view and what the reference is for the person speaking it, and there's no way for someone else who sees INC LEFT scroll across OPS chat to know what their reference point is. But INC EAST is always east, no matter who or where you are.

To summarize:

1) Snow and grass is fine, but there needs to be some windows in the walls of the mid turret so you can tell which direction is snow and which is grass, since the walls block you from seeing it)

2) Voidstar needs to differentiate the doors by colors, shape, size, symbol... something... because when you're defending and coming out of the spawn, there's no way to tell if HELP RIGHT means your right or the minimap's right, which are different.

Edited by YanksfanJP

I also lol'd when I first started hearing grass/snow since I'd never had any trouble using the Left/Right system. But it's been about a month since our server adopted that and now I'd say that I greatly prefer it. While East/West don't ever change, my perception of them sure does anytime I am playing with a spawn point on the South side rather than the North. I think this is partially b/c coming from swg, our map and directional compass originally spun around while the player arrow on it always pointed up. After years of playing with that system, I have to confess, my brain kind of shorts out anytime I find myself starting out on a map with a Southern orientation (Imp Alderaan, Defense on Voidstar).

Count me among those who wishes voidstar had similarly obvious orientation cues.

Here the problem with calling east and west there are a lot of ppl that cant tell north from south and east from west. so we have ppl going the wrong way alot of the time. when you think about it snow and grass work 99% of the time as there is mostly 1 person that does not know what that is.

So the problem w/ using cardinal directions is that people can't boast a 3rd grade education..

Gotcha.

Edited by Varicite

The only problem I have with Snow and Grass is what I've said above - if you're in the middle, you can't tell which direction is snow and which direction is grass. Otherwise, I have no problem with it at all. They need to put some peepholes or glass windows in the walls at the middle turret just so you can tell which direction is which when you're there.

Weird, I always know where snow is and where grass is no matter what position I am in when In mid. I guess I've just trained myself to react one way when snow is called and another when grass is called.

Weird, I always know where snow is and where grass is no matter what position I am in when In mid. I guess I've just trained myself to react one way when snow is called and another when grass is called.

I'm guessing it's probably because you know which is snow and grass from your starting area, and you're remembering which direction you're facing while you're at mid, so, you have "sight beyond sight." :)

TLDR: Nerf Thundercats. Buff Mumm-Ra

Edited by YanksfanJP

Unless you have a three cap, grass and snow work great. If you controll both sides and someone calls an incoming to grass you know where to go. Obviously if you are on snow, you know to go help the other side. If you have mid and a side then when someone calls an incoming go to the only side you have. As for the people asking for windows in the middle... Change your settings so you can zoom out more; it's very easy to see over the wall... Just stay on the second floor. I hope this helps.

It can't always be oriented "North". Both teams cannot possible have two opposing northern directions. The map can always face "up", which is different from North. Snow and Grass are easy landmarks for people that understand there is no North.

In fact due to this obvious attempt at trolling, I propose we start up a "Grass and Snow" campaign. In fact, we should rename "Civil War" to "Grass and Snow"

Time to get out of Mom's basement me thinks ;)

It is always oriented with north up on the map.

ALL MAPS are oriented that way....

Unless you turn your monitor upside down.....

North is north, one team start north on that map, and one south.

so if every player turn left from start point and noone go center.

all players on one team go east, and all players on the other team go west.

This is going to be extremly confusing to a lot of players when we get same faction in Alderaan.....

Then some times you will start playing where normaly the other faction starts, and when you turn left, you go the oposite direction of the one you normaly do.

ofc, the same side of east/west will still have grass/snow, but the orientation is oposite, so it will confuse, but lucky us, east and west on the minimap stay the same.

This is going to be extremly confusing to a lot of players when we get same faction in Alderaan.....

Really?

Do "a lot of players" have difficulties with situational awareness? We have 4 maps... you should know every square inch of those maps by now.

open the map.

with an ounce of common sense youd know which side someone meant even if he said "Weast".

calling people names just because they dont use your terms is equally ridiculous.

note: applies to pugs.

It can't always be oriented "North". Both teams cannot possible have two opposing northern directions. The map can always face "up", which is different from North. Snow and Grass are easy landmarks for people that understand there is no North.

In fact due to this obvious attempt at trolling, I propose we start up a "Grass and Snow" campaign. In fact, we should rename "Civil War" to "Grass and Snow"

Time to get out of Mom's basement me thinks ;)

North is always North. It doesn't change based on perception.