Can we, as a community, eliminate the "Grass" and "Snow" in Alderaan?

Bewoulff

If you own one turret and you're fighting in mid trying to take it and hear INC SNOW, how do you know which direction is snow since you can't actually see the snow while you're fighting at the turret for mid?

If you are guarding mid and hear INC SNOW, how do you know which direction is snow since you can't actually see the snow while you're fighting at the turret for mid? It's easy to say "go to the other one you own" but that's not the problem - the problem is figuring out which direction that other one is since you can't actually see the snow.

THAT'S the only reason grass/snow is a problem - because you can't tell which is snow and which is grass if you're at the middle.

If you don't have the awareness to know in which direction your [other] node is, I really can't help you.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can't always be oriented "North". Both teams cannot possible have two opposing northern directions. The map can always face "up", which is different from North. Snow and Grass are easy landmarks for people that understand there is no North.

In fact due to this obvious attempt at trolling, I propose we start up a "Grass and Snow" campaign. In fact, we should rename "Civil War" to "Grass and Snow"

Time to get out of Mom's basement me thinks ;)

When you bring up the map their is only 1 north as all maps have. If you have any kind of directional sence you know that if you are facing south then your view is opposite the team facing north. Compass directions are universal learn them.

I agree, Also, if I see another player refer to a side as "Crash site", I might punch a kitten in the face.

Use east and west please. For the kittens.

LMAO Im still laughing!!!.......Yeah and Im STILL laughing!!

All you have to do is stop loosing your sense of direction. If your Imperial when you get off the speeder snow is to your left and if your a Pub when u get off the speeder grass is to your left. Also on Imperial side east and west is backwards as for the Pub side its correct.(just a note)

Edited by kornbredd

All you have to do is stop loosing your sense of direction. If your Imperial when you get off the speeder snow is to your left and if your a Pub when u get off the speeder grass is to your left. Also on Imperial side east and west is backwards as for the Pub side its correct.(just a note)

East and West NEVER CHANGE in relation to your mini-map, which is visible at all times.

Yeah, but when you just fought at middle point, if the fight was intense, and someone is calling "grass", since you forgot which direction you're looking at and don't have any visual clues, you must translate to yourself "gras is... right ? So right is west. Where's west ?" because the only clue at your disposal is the map.

Just a thing, if you're thinking the way "Snow is left" in Imp side, how will you do when you will start an Imp vs. Imp Alderaan war in which you begin Rep-side in 1.3 ? My guess should start using East and West.

By the way, East and West aren't backward when you're Imp-side. Look well at your minimap at the begining, you're pointing South if you're Imp, North if you're Rep. These direction are universal.

And even if your East is ennemy's West, what does it change ? All your mates will see it East and they will all understand. It's non-problematic.

Edited by Altheran

It's been my experience (and this is a generalization) that most people who call it East/West tend to get more upset if you call it Grass/Snow. I've never understood why, but it seems to happen

At this point in the game, if someone calls snow/grass or east/west in Civil War and you're STILL CONFUSED on where to go, there's not a lot of hope for you. This isn't rocket science and if it upsets you that much....then I hope to Troll you one day :rak_03:

Left /right ; Grass /snow. East /west . etc. Why does it matter? they are all valid directions.

Stop forcing your preference upon others. When u make your 8man team, u can call it whatever u like.

quoted for truth

If you don't know which is snow and which is grass you are paying so little attention you are destroying your teams chances. When you start you can either jump off to one side or go mid then turn right or stay mid. It literally takes one glance when you start and you should have the entire field figured out. When you are at that platform you can see the side it is either covered in snow or it isn't . If you are at middle you can run up the ramp at either side and see the entire playfield is covered in snow or it isn't.

But you have to run up the ramp first in order to figure it out, and if you went the wrong direction, you've just wasted about 5-10 seconds that could be the difference in defending the side turret or losing it.

Hey guys can we as a comunity START USING HALF A BRAIN CELL and understanding one sides is predominately full of snow while the other one is full of grass? and that the MAP DOESNT CHANGE AND IS ALWAYS THE SAME SO THEY WILL ALWAYS BE ON THE SAME SIDE?!

geez as if BW wasng good enough "dumbing" down this game now ur asking the comunity to also do it?! *** is wrong with these casuals...

When your on the ship about to choose which speeder your going to take. It makes it faster when someone says grass or snow, because you can see the whole battlefield, and you can clearly see which speeder is pointed at grass and which one is pointed at snow. Its less likely you'll take the wrong one by mistake. especially on the imp side were the orientation is backwards

Grass, East, West. All left hand typing.

sNOw. Two right-hand letters. Even if it was intuitive to use snow/grass, it'd still be inefficient because you've either got to move your left hand from your keybinds to hit O (and maybe N depending on your hand/keyboard placement), or you've got to remove your right hand from your mouse to do the same thing. Yeah, you might be able to reset within a global, but you're still doubling the time it takes to type east when you say snow, and you're not strafing or attacking during that time.

Landmarks are for use when you don't know what direction is north. If the argument is that we've all played the map enough where we know it, why not call crash/gene(rator)? Same thing, most people have played the map enough where they should know it, and both are within normal left-hand range. East and west should be used on all 3 node warzones. East/west on two and snow/grass on the third is pointless and inefficient.

Left/right is inexcusable on any warzone though. I've seen people call it from minimap and from spawn. Completely illogical.

Grass and snow are visual.

East and west are directional.

Left and right are ridiculously asinine.

Grass and snow are easiest in the beginning of the match because visual aids require less understanding and comprehension. You look out at the map you see grass on one side and more snow on the other. Visual aids are used to help us understand all the time. The only people who have a problem with visual aids are those who think they are better than everyone, but really just want to wave there epeen around.

East and West are directional and require you to think in a different manner than what your brain is currently at. You have been fighting looking at visual indications of turret location and buffs/debuffs on your character. Suddenly someone yells out a direction your brain now has to jump from visual to directional - there is a delay. For myself personally I have to look at the map and go Never Eat Soggy Waffles.

This takes my brain exactly 3-5 seconds depending on how ridiculous the fight was. Most of those who are in school now, no longer are required to learn directions - it's like saying the term half past 9 or quarter til 10. Unless you went to school where they had clocks that aren't digital there is a delayin understanding what you are talking about.

Left and right are so ridiculously asinine let's not even waste are time commenting on it. Every single person in the heat of the moment when someone calls out left or right immediately looks to their right not the map's right, but their own personal right. To expect someone to stop take a second look at the map and identify which right you are referring to. (Most of the time when they are saying left or right they are referring to the 3 icons on the top).

For those who scream in the middle I can't tell if it's grass or snow, you deserver to be Billy Madisoned. Seriously, when you are in mid you already know which base you have and all you have to do is head to the side the green or red light is lit. Don't waste my time with the ridiculous comment about not understanding which side is grass from the mid and then say, but you know east from west. That's so ridiculous an assumption that even the time it took for me to type this was wasted.

TLDR: Visual aids are simpler and easier for our brain to process since we are already playing visually. East/West is fine, but requires a minute delay because we have to access a different part of the brain and suddenly look at our map. Left/Right is ridiculous and the absolutely dumbest way to call it out.

Left and right always refers to the directions from spawn.. Not hard to understand. If you're not at spawn, you should know which damn side you went to, so you know which side is opposite to you, don't you?

No, left and right do not refer to directions from spawn. They're subjective directions, much like the people who say "HERE"

No, left and right do not refer to directions from spawn. They're subjective directions, much like the people who say "HERE"

"I said Inc!"

"You didn't call a direction..."

"You should have looked at your map and saw where I was!"

...yes, this has actually happened. More than once.

Grass and snow are easiest in the beginning of the match because visual aids require less understanding and comprehension....
Actually, at the start of a match, left/right is easiest because EVERYONE has the same orientation and left/right is instinctive.

East and West are directional and require you to think in a different manner than what your brain is currently at. You have been fighting looking at visual indications of turret location and buffs/debuffs on your character. Suddenly someone yells out a direction your brain now has to jump from visual to directional - there is a delay. For myself personally I have to look at the map and go Never Eat Soggy Waffles. This takes my brain exactly 3-5 seconds depending on how ridiculous the fight was.

Uh... Yeah... your minimap has a arrow pointing north. It doesn't mark snow or grass though...

Most of those who are in school now, no longer are required to learn directions - it's like saying the term half past 9 or quarter til 10. Unless you went to school where they had clocks that aren't digital there is a delayin understanding what you are talking about.

If you didn't learn directions, you didn't go to school. You can't even properly read a map without knowing cardinal directions, so how you expect to have been able to go through world history without having been taught them would be an amusing explanation.

Left and right are so ridiculously asinine let's not even waste are time commenting on it. Every single person in the heat of the moment when someone calls out left or right immediately looks to their right not the map's right, but their own personal right. To expect someone to stop take a second look at the map and identify which right you are referring to. (Most of the time when they are saying left or right they are referring to the 3 icons on the top).

Once the match starts, I agree.

For those who scream in the middle I can't tell if it's grass or snow, you deserver to be Billy Madisoned. Seriously, when you are in mid you already know which base you have and all you have to do is head to the side the green or red light is lit. Don't waste my time with the ridiculous comment about not understanding which side is grass from the mid and then say, but you know east from west. That's so ridiculous an assumption that even the time it took for me to type this was wasted.

For those of us who know directions, east/west with a compass is just as instinctual as left/right. Snow/grass can NOT be instinctual.

TLDR: Visual aids are simpler and easier for our brain to process since we are already playing visually. East/West is fine, but requires a minute delay because we have to access a different part of the brain and suddenly look at our map. Left/Right is ridiculous and the absolutely dumbest way to call it out.

Except for the part about left/right, all you've proven is that our educational system is failing.

Edited by Apocalypse-

"I said Inc!"

"You didn't call a direction..."

"You should have looked at your map and saw where I was!"

...yes, this has actually happened. More than once.

You must be from Jung ma or Ajunta Pall. This was notorious on Ajunta Pall. haha!

East and West are directional and require you to think in a different manner than what your brain is currently at. You have been fighting looking at visual indications of turret location and buffs/debuffs on your character. Suddenly someone yells out a direction your brain now has to jump from visual to directional - there is a delay. For myself personally I have to look at the map and go Never Eat Soggy Waffles.

This takes my brain exactly 3-5 seconds depending on how ridiculous the fight was. Most of those who are in school now, no longer are required to learn directions - it's like saying the term half past 9 or quarter til 10. Unless you went to school where they had clocks that aren't digital there is a delayin understanding what you are talking about.

For those who scream in the middle I can't tell if it's grass or snow, you deserver to be Billy Madisoned. Seriously, when you are in mid you already know which base you have and all you have to do is head to the side the green or red light is lit. Don't waste my time with the ridiculous comment about not understanding which side is grass from the mid and then say, but you know east from west. That's so ridiculous an assumption that even the time it took for me to type this was wasted.[/b]

You can't say that it's not ok to go from visual to directional in the first part of your post, and then say it is ok to do it when you have to look at the map, decide which side green is and which side red is, look at the arrow of your character to figure out which direction your character is facing, and then rotate so you're pointed at the green node. Completely hypocritical.

Just put some damned holes in the walls at mid or get rid of half the roof so we can zoom out more.

Edited by YanksfanJP