Can we, as a community, eliminate the "Grass" and "Snow" in Alderaan?

Bewoulff

Really?

Do "a lot of players" have difficulties with situational awareness? We have 4 maps... you should know every square inch of those maps by now.

Well, having one side in Alderaan scaringly many people have trouble understanding left/right, snow/gras and east/west or a simple help.....

and east/west can be used in ALL wz, reagarding where your starting point is.....

it's simple.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How this is of any importance is beyond me.

lol i agree, you see this topic pop up so often and i just laugh now.. and to make things more frustrating in WZ's if someone calls out East or West i will always reply Grass or snow OR if they call grass i say East.. :)

The frustrating part is people lack the intelligence to not be able to quickly discern east/west (which you can both type with one hand) pretty much instantaneous by the time you're a young adult. It's mind boggling to me.

Well, having one side in Alderaan scaringly many people have trouble understanding left/right, snow/gras and east/west or a simple help.....

and east/west can be used in ALL wz, reagarding where your starting point is.....

it's simple.

According to you, many people have trouble with them all, including east/west.

Maybe fire a flare and scream "HELP1!2!11!!!1!2!!!!"

For me, if you called for help at snow or grass, you would get a faster response than east/west simply because I know where they are (regardless of pvping on imp or rep). east/west will make me check the minimap.

I too use to be real big on the East / West as opposed to Grass/Snow. But when a person says East/West there is a moment of hesitation where some players have to actually stop, look at their minimap/compass, rethink what east/west is and then go. Granted, this all *should* happen in a matter of nano-seconds.

What made grass / snow alright by me was the people who get confused and can't remember east from west. Reinforcements don't come and nodes get capped. When a person types snow and grass and the average pub sees it there is a split second where a picture of grass/snow flashes in the conscious and subconscious mind. People then know without any hesitation exactly what is meant. While I don't enjoy grass/snow I do enjoy winning. So I'll keep doing what is necessary to facilitate victory - that is to call it grass / snow.

Hell, even I've gotten confused a time or two and said east when I meant west or vice versa.

Edited by Sagaboy

This thread has inspired me to now refer to the bases as "Generator," "Command Center," and "Crash Site." In Voidstar, the western door is now known as the "United States" and the eastern door is "Hong-Kong." We have also debated "Ihop," "Dairy Queen," and "Friendlies" for the east, south, and west bases in Novare. Much to the disdain of our awesome healer Marilla. :p

Except in Alderaan, to successfuly win a game you will either have to control "grass" or "snow". So if you are calling out in defense, it should quickly be obvious which to go to, or if you happen to have both ends in your control you should be defending one of them. In that case, whichever end you arent on is the one being attacked.

Common sense.

GRASS/SNOW is better

It's instantly clear for people who know the warzone, and is clearer to map challenged noobs who can't comprehend east/west.

People who say EAST/WEST is better havent been saddled down by morons who need super simple directions.

GRASS/SNOW is the most clear and concise way to define each node in a single word. Not opening a map to get bearings is the best.

I wish voidstar had colored doors. BLUE/RED doors would simplify things immensely...

Edited by UberDuberSoldat

This thread has inspired me to now refer to the bases as "Generator," "Command Center," and "Crash Site." In Voidstar, the western door is now known as the "United States" and the eastern door is "Hong-Kong." We have also debated "Ihop," "Dairy Queen," and "Friendlies" for the east, south, and west bases in Novare. Much to the disdain of our awesome healer Marilla. :p

oh im going to get a lot of *** are you talking about from here on out when i start making those calls.

The proper names for these sites are anyway:

- Crash Site (Grass, East for Imperial or West for Republic)

- Center Station (Mid for all)

- Generator (Snow, West for Imperial or East for Republic)

So yea I reckon Grass, Snow, and Mid makes more sense. If you need east,west, north and south to help you, you probably should ask Bioware to get you a compass and a set of co-ordinates too to make your life easier, or better yet throw some smoke bombs that is super visible on the minmap to say come here and defend peeps!!!

I'll admit, I don't pay attention to that. I don't care which side has grass or snow. In fact, both have snow and both have grass. I say we go off of the already established and universally understood "north, south, east, west" directions. I can't tell you how many games of Alderaan or Voidstar I've played where people say "right" when if their screen is oriented north they are in fact "left". Or people say grass and I have no idea what they are talking about. The minimap is always oriented north, so this makes it the most accurate way to call directions.

Voidstar can be so funny at times when defending, people completely forget how a compass works it seems.

Hmmm, gonna use nautical directions (port, starboard etc) next match... Ill use the excuse that we are after all on a (star)ship.

Edited by SinnedQWERTY

Actually, in most cases I'd be OK if you started to do this, even if you didn't tell me about it before. :)

Even only writing "3 inc" is infinitely better than nothing at all.

Which turret/door/whatever does the person need help at? Well, if we are defending two, and the one I am at is OK, then the person needs help at the other one. :)

They should have invidual names for locations in this game. Its far easier to say blacksmith or goldmine than use directions.

I always get bit worried in Voidstar when I am not sure is right or left the defenders or attackers.

I also admit getting sometimes blackouts. I may say left when I mean right and think west is right side of Republic map.

I also notice other players give sometimes wrong directions saying W they mean E for example.

Doors could be name Alpha and Gamma in voidstar for example. Turrets could be nickanmed. Big Bertha(BB) could be in middle, Little Joe(LJ) on left and Hoss on right(HS). :D

the fact that a debate over the complexity of a compass rose has reached 12 pages is a little bit discouraging regarding the average intelligence of a swtor player

Nah its about visualization. I don't need at all compass directions in my daily life. I admit sometimes thinking is West left or right on map where North is a top of it.

Besides there is no compass in game so we don't actually know where the magnetic north is actually in those places where warzones are played. Infact I don't know why people actually use compass directions at all. Or why they assume maps are oriented to magnetic north.

Especially this is bewildering in space ship where BW has named doors west or east. I don't think space ship should have magnetic north!!

I don't see the big deal. When you give directions to strangers on the street you don't say "head west and then turn north." You say "walk to the park and turn at the tree." In a situation where people feel rushed and might not be thinking calmly (like a losing warzone), visualization is better.

With all that said, I don't really care what you call them, as long as you DO call them when necessary. The time it takes for me to figure out what the heck you're talking about isn't worth complaining about as long as we save the node.

That's my opinion as well.

1. It is a fact that many kids (ages 6-17) play this game and have no freaking clue which way East or West is. In fact, McDonald's cash registers do not even have numbers on them anymore, just pictures of the food, because people are so uneducated. If kids can't understand how to press "1.00" on a cash register, how do you expect them to know East from West?

Really, a lot of 6-17 year old kids is a fact? Where did you get that fact from? Most gaming industry analysts have the AVERAGE age of gamers at 35.

I don't even know where you got this information on McDonald's cash registers, but its massively wrong as to why they use pictures instead of having them type in prices. When you go up to the register in most places you have a product, and surprisingly enough, those place usually scan a barcode instead of typing in a price, they do this because its faster and they can server more people with less staff, which is the same reason McDonalds has picture keys.

There is no product to scan, but on top of that they have to take the order and send it to the back to be prepared, and deal with combo pricing that varies if you substitute say onion rings for fries, or shakes for a soda. The menu based register allows them to process and calculate orders massively faster then they would be able to unless they have strong 10 key skills and can memorize the price and every price combination on the menu (pro tip, people who can do that don't work at McDonald's typically).

This thread is amazingly full of uneducated thoughts. I've seen at least 5 posts where people think East and West change based on what side you start on. And a surprising number of people also think that both sides have grass on them.

The whole thread is pointless, other then for me to be appalled at the lack of knowledge of what people are saying in it. because the vast majority of people calling out sides in a way someone doesn't prefer won't ever see it, and their brain cells are better for it.