Dragon Age 3 Devs moved to SWTOR.

They lost 25% of their subscribers and knowing EA they probably ran into Biowares office shouting and screaming and fired a few devs here and there.

So in other words, you're just making ***** up.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever helps BW work out all the current bugs, get legacy fleshed out more, implement this "robust" LFG we heard about, implement dual specs and last but most important server mergers.

If moving devs accomplishes these things sooner, I'm all for it.

Well that doesn't surprise me. The same failures that created DA2 can continue to fail in SWTOR.

Nobody was going to buy DA3 after the DA2 debacle. In fact sales were so anemic and the game got such bad press that retailers refuse to stock the proposed "Ultimate Edition" of DA2 because it would be a "waste of shelf space."

DA:O is still stocked and in fact sells for more than DA2 does. Bioware needs to right the ship or they are pretty much finished as a quality dev at least in my eyes.

Lets be fair. The programmers who programmed DA 2 did nothing wrong - it was a solid game in terms of performance, content and quality. One might argue that the storyline was less engaging or what have you but development resources and management/direction are two separate things. I don't know why outsiders assume programmers control things - they don't and generally have very little input into visible things. An individual developer usually has input into how code is organized and styled but not big sweeping decisions like not having multiple races or a lot of the other failings of DA 2.

Lets be fair. The programmers who programmed DA 2 did nothing wrong - it was a solid game in terms of performance, content and quality. One might argue that the storyline was less engaging or what have you but development resources and management/direction are two separate things. I don't know why outsiders assume programmers control things - they don't and generally have very little input into visible things. An individual developer usually has input into how code is organized and styled but not big sweeping decisions like not having multiple races or a lot of the other failings of DA 2.

I agree. I felt DA2 to be the better of the series because of the main character having a voice, you had more oversight in your quest direction and what you had to do, the combat felt more personal and engaging, the story itself was more engaging. The only thing it lacked was story diversity, if they combined that diversity from DAO with everything else from DA2 and put it into DA3, they will have an incredible game.

All patches do that, sometimes to a lesser extent and other times to a further extent, MMO patches especially have always been like this.

Name me another MMO where a patch took items away from players. then they choose to not fix the problem right away.

go ahead tell me witch other mmo did that.

Name me another MMO where a patch took items away from players. then they choose to not fix the problem right away.

go ahead tell me witch other mmo did that.

Ye, tell him. TELL HIM!!!!

"We had previously expected the next Dragon Age to be released in Q4:13, two years after its predecessor. However, we believe that a significant portion of the BioWare team responsible for the game was reassigned to Star Wars in order to create content and fix bugs to keep the game's audience engaged."

This guy "thinks" and you repost it as fact. Need more resources to believe it

Edited by nerfAvari

Good point. Whatever failings DA2 had, it was due to direction and game design, not developer ability. People on this forum use the term "developer" way too loosely (of course it doesn't help that Bioware refers to all their employees as 'developers'). But traditionally "Developer" often refers just to the guys writing code. They don't decide game direction, storyline, etc.

And the same successes that created Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Dragon Age: Origins and to a lesser extent Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 (depending on your view) can carry over as well, I am simply stoked at the idea of having David Gaider on board if he has indeed switched over.

And I actually liked Dragon Age II, not as good as Origins, but was still a nice tide over.

My opinion is 180 degrees the other direction. I think it was a good career move as many people I know won't buy another dragon age game ever after their dissapointment in DA2. I never liked the dragon age series because I don't like games that use the pause button as a basic combat feature. Aside from that, if dragon age were a series of books they would be filed under trashy romance novels. Apparently pixelated cartoon versions of trashy romance novels are your thing and I won't fault or judge you for that. I preffer authors with real literary talent when I wan't a story and am more concerned with actual gameplay when it comes to a game.

That said, I don't really think more people who already make games like bioware makes games will bring anything of value to the table in this game not that it matters at this point. By the time several other new mmos come out, alot people who are watching this mmo in hopes that it gets better will stop watching and waiting for improvement.

Well, they're not pulling from their on-line teams, and from a game that to my knowledge doesn't use the Hero Engine. So they're probably not being moved to work on the engine, high level design of struggling systems (like PvP), or getting their quality of life utilities pushed out faster (e.g. the LFG tool, et al).

So if I was a betting man I'd guess that they've cannibalized artists and other asset people. This could be a good thing, because it means they already have solid plans for where they're going and just need extra muscle to implement it.

A wash for me: I've already cancelled since the LFG tool won't include a cross-server queue, and Dragon Age 2 was just a miserable excuse for a game so I won't even be bothering with the third installment.

Edited by ohpleasework

Well that doesn't surprise me. The same failures that created DA2 can continue to fail in SWTOR.

Nobody was going to buy DA3 after the DA2 debacle. In fact sales were so anemic and the game got such bad press that retailers refuse to stock the proposed "Ultimate Edition" of DA2 because it would be a "waste of shelf space."

DA:O is still stocked and in fact sells for more than DA2 does. Bioware needs to right the ship or they are pretty much finished as a quality dev at least in my eyes.

DA has nothing to do with SWTOR. Programmers follow direction. They did what they were told to do on another game. They will follow direction on SWTOR as well. The key is whether the leads know what they are doing.

The key is whether the leads know what they are doing.

From what we have seen so far, I'm going to take a wild guess and say.... no. They are blatantly ignoring what we're saying, unless you're lucky and get a copy-paste message when they close the thread, and they haven't even made a sound to show us that they are even still alive. For all we know the entire SWTOR team, besides community managers, could have died in a horrible bus accident.

All patches do that, sometimes to a lesser extent and other times to a further extent, MMO patches especially have always been like this.

HA!?? What!!??.

What games can you name that have the same patch fix fix fix fix every update merry go round as Swtor ?

I realize, for what ever reason you are a fan of this game but you need to stop applying for the damage control P.R. CEO position.

I'm sure they have a stack of applications that they sift through when one of them starts pulling out his hair and mumbling" I should have stayed with Mythic and it's hugely successful Warhammer franchise".

One last though. Lose the purple or are you Royalty ?

A minority raged. Big surprise. The real PVPers left when BW hit the abort on Ilum - a clear sign of the state of PVP in SWTOR.

TERA and GW2 both have superior PVP right out of the box. Even WoW has better PVP (not that I ever enjoyed it because it was also mostly meaningless). Those players have already moved on to a more competitive game (whatever it might be).

The "real" pvpers left?

You mean the ones that got tons of valor zerging Ilum and holding players hostage in their town?

Ilum in itself was a clear sign something was wrong with the PvP because the whole concept of Ilum was bad. "Real" pvpers didn't like Ilum. It was just a zerg and spam fest that benefited Empire on most servers.

I assume that all the "real" pvpers were playing Empire too?

Moving on...

SWTOR PvP is terrible.

Bioware said before the game even launched they weren't focusing on PvP and I knew it would turn out bad.

But I didn't think it would be the way it is now.

Creating things like Ilum could have been done so simple yet they did it so wrong. And the only time they listen to players is when it becomes a viral problem media wise. Since most changes to the game do not get reported until it backfires, Bioware goes ahead with their horrible ideas that people warned them about in 100s of post.

The Ilum crapfest patch was the most obvious and was proof Bioware has no clue about MMOs or MMO players.

Even the armaments thing was stupid and grindy.

No. Real PvPers did not like Ilum because real PvPers already knew SWTOR PvP was terrible to begin with.

Real PvPers didn't quit... just the ones that thought zerging was "skill".

Edited by Tiaa