Dragon Age 3 Devs moved to SWTOR.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could this mean quicker updates or a wider array of content in the same amount of time?

Hmmm ...

In the short term, it would mean that updates take longer as the new staff members chew up resources getting trained, learning the ropes, and pestering their co-workers.

Depending on the industry and position, it can take anywhere from a couple weeks (burger flipping) to two years (law) for a new hire to stop being a net drain on resources.

I know that when CoH hired a bunch of new bodies a while back, it took about 6 months to see increased release cycles.

I wouldn't get too excited.

Hmmm ...

In the short term, it would mean that updates take longer as the new staff members chew up resources getting trained, learning the ropes, and pestering their co-workers.

Depending on the industry and position, it can take anywhere from a couple weeks (burger flipping) to two years (law) for a new hire to stop being a net drain on resources.

I know that when CoH hired a bunch of new bodies a while back, it took about 6 months to see increased release cycles.

I wouldn't get too excited.

Well they moved some of Hudson's team to SWTOR and they seem to have fit in very well, don't know why Gaider's would be any different.

So if they moved the DA3 guys over to work on TOR, where does that leave DA3? And why so much negativity towards DA2? I love that game. I had few complaints about it and those were minor.

It has been pushed back to 'f14' I liked DAII as well, many did not though.

Hopefully it's true, and it is a good thing.

It's not a good thing for instant gratification, obviously. It means there aren't enough resources currently allocated to keep the title solid or stem the mudslide of subscriptions, which means they are down to "circling the wagons". Core fixes will take substantial time.

But still, it is a step in the very right direction. They need more hands on deck and they need them right away because they have a handful of very core items that need to be handled, so news that they even might be tackling it bodes well for the long term.

EDIT: As an aside, purple text on a black background is excruciating to read, by the way.

Edited by Gjorind

Hopefully it's true, and it is a good thing.

It's not a good thing for instant gratification, obviously. It means there aren't enough resources currently allocated to keep the title solid or stem the mudslide of subscriptions, which means they are down to "circling the wagons". Core fixes will take substantial time.

But still, it is a step in the very right direction. They need more hands on deck and they need them right away because they have a handful of very core items that need to be handled, so news that they even might be tackling it bodes well for the long term.

EDIT: As an aside, purple text on a black background is excruciating to read, by the way.

I agree, more resources is a good thing.

Well other users have stated it is much easier to read than the new default font but I apologise that you dislike it.

Lol Michael Pachter.

Clown is wrong on almost every single "prediction" he publishes.

Also considering Dragon Age 2 was an abomination, and Star Wars has been a huge disappointment - the real losers here are the consumers.

They are actually making DA3? HAHAHAHA

Why even bother with it after what they did to the franchise with DA2 its about as dead as anything could get for me, and i am sure for a lot of other people as well who loved DA1.

Edited by Razot

It has multiplayer and you can play as a dragon in multiplayer.... I wish I were joking.

OMG thats so bad its funny... I cant wait to read the metacritic rage for that one.

The devs that were meant to work on the third instalment of the Dragon Age series have instead been moved to increase the overall resources to help develop content and fix bugs for SWTOR.

Could this mean quicker updates or a wider array of content in the same amount of time?

Link: http://www.develop-online.net/news/40736/Pachter-Dragon-Age-3-devs-loaned-to-SWTOR

Yep, it means someone up high has realized if they don't turn this all around within a few months, it's going to sink to "relative" failure.

It has multiplayer and you can play as a dragon in multiplayer.... I wish I were joking.

Bioware farkin sucks at making Single player games with Multiplayer games, their single player always suffers because of it. That is disappointing news.

Ah well, one great RPG maker falls, but others rise to take their place... looking at you CD Project Red

Well that doesn't surprise me. The same failures that created DA2 can continue to fail in SWTOR.

Nobody was going to buy DA3 after the DA2 debacle. In fact sales were so anemic and the game got such bad press that retailers refuse to stock the proposed "Ultimate Edition" of DA2 because it would be a "waste of shelf space."

DA:O is still stocked and in fact sells for more than DA2 does. Bioware needs to right the ship or they are pretty much finished as a quality dev at least in my eyes.

Why not? I was hoping Falecia Day was gonna do some voice overs...

"Not only would warriors face each other in combat, but dragons would be playable as well. The multiplayer is being developed on DICE's Frostbite 2, the same game engine used for Battlefield 3. The multiplayer is supposedly an arena-based affair and features player versus environment elements as well as player versus player.[1]"

I can't remember the other place I saw that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Age_3

i am happy to see more devs being brought over to address game issues, but this move worries me. its almost like EA is saying:

"ok bioware, investors are losing confidence, subscriptions are falling, these bugs and lack of content need to be addressed asap, no more excuses, you do w/e it is you have to do to get these issues fixed or else"

i mean, maybe its just me but thats how its coming off, like bioware has to pull resources from other departments because they are under pressure to get swtor on track or something. . . its kinda scary to think about.

Well that doesn't surprise me. The same failures that created DA2 can continue to fail in SWTOR.

Nobody was going to buy DA3 after the DA2 debacle. In fact sales were so anemic and the game got such bad press that retailers refuse to stock the proposed "Ultimate Edition" of DA2 because it would be a "waste of shelf space."

DA:O is still stocked and in fact sells for more than DA2 does. Bioware needs to right the ship or they are pretty much finished as a quality dev at least in my eyes.

You're not an optimist are you?

bioware is failing so bad as late, really depreses me. I loved them since the orginal KOTOR and jade empire.

I love dragon age and mass effect but M3 was a failure and this is turning into a huge mess.

Now not only did they sink my favorite single player RPG because of this game, now they are going to ruin my 2nd favorite being dragon age lovely.

This is good and bad.

Good.because more recources to ToR hopefully improving game quality.

Bad, I love Dragon Age, and enjoyed da2 even if it wasn't as great as origins, which means ill have to wait a long time for it :p ah well if swtor improves I can't complain.

"Not only would warriors face each other in combat, but dragons would be playable as well. The multiplayer is being developed on DICE's Frostbite 2, the same game engine used for Battlefield 3. The multiplayer is supposedly an arena-based affair and features player versus environment elements as well as player versus player.[1]"

I can't remember the other place I saw that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Age_3

Wikipedia, where word is law!

I like David Gaider. He is more than welcome to work on SWTOR (assuming he is moving over).

But, by all that you find great in the world, do not bring Mike Laidlow over to SWTOR. I'm not sure how he's even employed, but if you must keep him employed, let him work on another Sonic the Hedgehog game. He already destroyed a once great RPG franchise (if one can count one game a franchise-DA:O). We don't need him bringing his 'just press A for awesome' mentality to SWTOR.

Please. Pretty please, with sugar on top?