Dragon Age 3 Devs moved to SWTOR.

The devs that were meant to work on the third instalment of the Dragon Age series have instead been moved to increase the overall resources to help develop content and fix bugs for SWTOR.

Could this mean quicker updates or a wider array of content in the same amount of time?

Link: http://www.develop-online.net/news/40736/Pachter-Dragon-Age-3-devs-loaned-to-SWTOR

Edited by Rayla_Felana

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that doesn't surprise me. The same failures that created DA2 can continue to fail in SWTOR.

Nobody was going to buy DA3 after the DA2 debacle. In fact sales were so anemic and the game got such bad press that retailers refuse to stock the proposed "Ultimate Edition" of DA2 because it would be a "waste of shelf space."

DA:O is still stocked and in fact sells for more than DA2 does. Bioware needs to right the ship or they are pretty much finished as a quality dev at least in my eyes.

Well that doesn't surprise me. The same failures that created DA2 can continue to fail in SWTOR.

Nobody was going to buy DA3 after the DA2 debacle. In fact sales were so anemic and the game got such bad press that retailers refuse to stock the proposed "Ultimate Edition" of DA2 because it would be a "waste of shelf space."

DA:O is still stocked and in fact sells for more than DA2 does. Bioware needs to right the ship or they are pretty much finished as a quality dev at least in my eyes.

And the same successes that created Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Dragon Age: Origins and to a lesser extent Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 (depending on your view) can carry over as well, I am simply stoked at the idea of having David Gaider on board if he has indeed switched over.

And I actually liked Dragon Age II, not as good as Origins, but was still a nice tide over.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

Welcome to MMOs, where content isn't plucked from trees.

I whole heartily agree, but in Bioware's case you need two content patches to make up for one that other games release.

First, the initial patch

Second, the patch to fix the game breaking bugs of the first patch.

I whole heartily agree, but in Bioware's case you need two content patches to make up for one that other games release.

First, the initial patch

Second, the patch to fix the game breaking bugs of the first patch.

All patches do that, sometimes to a lesser extent and other times to a further extent, MMO patches especially have always been like this.

If this is accurate then it's not a quick solution to any problems.

If these new developers have no experience with the tools used to create SWTOR, there will be a period of adjustment before any content is created by them.

If they are conceptual artists and the like then yeah, that will be fine you can start artwork right away - but anybody who actually needs to get their hands deep down and dirty into the code will be on a fast-track to learning... and speed learning is not often the most error free method.

TLDR;

If they are "fluff" devs then this is good.

If they are "da bad boyz of coding" we wont see any benefits for a while...

If this is accurate then it's not a quick solution to any problems.

If these new developers have no experience with the tools used to create SWTOR, there will be a period of adjustment before any content is created by them.

If they are conceptual artists and the like then yeah, that will be fine you can start artwork right away - but anybody who actually needs to get their hands deep down and dirty into the code will be on a fast-track to learning... and speed learning is not often the most error free method.

TLDR;

If they are "fluff" devs then this is good.

If they are "da bad boyz of coding" we wont see any benefits for a while...

Well Isn't the Hero engine loosely based on Dragon Age's anyway? o_O

I'm okay with this. SWTOR could use some work, as much fun as it already is.

But I feel somehow compelled to start talking about eating spaghetti with a spoon...OP, your signature is the most disruptive thing I've seen on these forums, and that's not at all a bad thing.

You just keep telling yourself that.

Exactly. I mean, it's not like raiding guilds in other games, especially WoW, never do any kind of raiding for the first few days after a patch, right?

There are legitimate complaints to make about this game. This? This isn't one of them, and if this is the only thing you can find to complain about, then you're in a damn sight better spot than other players.

This is awesome, maybe we will see some 'perks' of the other games make their way into swtor. More on board=faster bug fixes and balances. Who knows, swtor might pick up speed and get the players who left back and make this a contender =)

I'm okay with this. SWTOR could use some work, as much fun as it already is.

But I feel somehow compelled to start talking about eating spaghetti with a spoon...OP, your signature is the most disruptive thing I've seen on these forums, and that's not at all a bad thing.

SWTOR would benefit greatly from more numbers on their team, it will either mean content gets pumped out quicker or a wider array of content gets pumped out instead.

It is one of the funniest Mod statements I have seen in a while.

I am actually completely bummed out by this. I loved DA:O and DA II's combat was baller. And they said that they realize the mistakes they made and were going to combine the story style of Origins, the combat of DA II, and the open world style of the Oblivion games. Sounds like a game winning mix to me.

But he definitely will be an asset to SWTOR if this is indeed true. Hopefully most of DA3 is already done and that's why he's moving! Here's to hoping!

Edited by ItsMattsFault

I am actually completely bummed out by this. I loved DA:O and DA II's combat was the *******. And they said that they realize the mistakes they made and were going to combine the story style of Origins, the combat of DA II, and the open world style of the Oblivion games. Sounds like a game winning mix to me.

But he definitely will be an asset to SWTOR if this is indeed true. Hopefully most of DA3 is already done and that's why he's moving! Here's to hoping!

Well it sounds like almost if not all the team has been moved over and they stated in the article that DAIII has been pushed back to F14 instead of F12or13.

This is awesome, maybe we will see some 'perks' of the other games make their way into swtor. More on board=faster bug fixes and balances. Who knows, swtor might pick up speed and get the players who left back and make this a contender =)

My thoughts exactly.

So while folks who know nothing about game design, the business world and development processes comment on this being a bad thing...

The rest of us see more resources being applied to the TOR team. Awesome!

Edited by Arkerus