Dragon Age 3 Devs moved to SWTOR.

Because why run away when you can pick a game mode when you can kill and win the game????

Do I want to play the game mode where I run away and scream and hide or the one where I get to stomp faces in. Most people want to stomp faces

Having such a game mode is an option, as long as it is not the only/primary option, and it still adheres to the point system I mentioned before.

On another note, grinding warzones for gear is also bad PVP design. Competitive PVP requires less of a gear gap than SWTOR currently permits. A proper PVP item mall should include gear with equal stats that provides a wide variety of skill mechanics/timings/utility changes that can customize your character to how you play, or to some strategy, and throw some tactical outfitting decisions into the game. These items should be free, or cost a very minimal amount of credits, not some PVP token. It should never be about more raw stats, ever.

Think of it like WoW glyphs, only stronger, and about 20x more of them for each ability/armor slot.

Edited by Gungan

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to MMOs, where content isn't plucked from trees.

Welcome to mmos, where if you dont fix your game in a timely manner people leave and your game dies.

But on the news of the devs, cant be anything but good to have more people helping.

I think that BW never said that they are giving up from open world PVP , they just seen that Illum didnt worked out and they told they are looking in the ways how to make world pvp more meaningful and the one which will actually work so its very possible that in the future we might get new planets which will work better than Illum did for world PVP.

Also should be mentioned here how WoW PVP is not perfect at all, world PVP in that game is totally dead and throught all this time WoW is out players of that game could have seen imbalances between classes , at each period of time there where FOTM setups for arena, dont know how some ppl can forget fiasco what they had when they introduced death knight etc..

Also Tera is now out and GW2 still need to be released but both of those games will need to prove , time will tell how good or perfect this games are as some ppl on this forums want to claim.

Edited by Lunablade

I think that BW never said that they are giving up from open world PVP , they just seen that Illum didnt worked out and they told they are looking in the ways how to make world pvp more meangfull and the one which will actually work so its very possible that in the future we might get new planets which will work better than Illum did for world PVP.

Also should be mentioned how WoW PVP is not perfect at all, world PVP in that game is totally dead and throught all this time WoW is out players of that game could have seen imbalances between classes , at each period of time there where FOTM setups for arena, dont know how some ppl cant forget what they had with death knight etc..

Also Tera is now out and GW2 still need to be released but both of those games will need to prove , time will tell how good or perfect this games are as some ppl on this forums want to claim.

It is already 100% clear from what BioWare, scratch that, Mythic did with Ilum, and what they're doing with their revamped PVP rewards that they do not intend to put any kind of meaningful PVP into this game. It will never have faction or server wide implications. It is always going to be a sideshow attraction with its own gear grind. Nothing more.

Edited by Gungan

It is already 100% clear from what BioWare did with Ilum, and what they're doing with their revamped PVP rewards that they do not intend to put any kind of meaningful PVP into this game. It will never have faction or server wide implications. It is always going to be a sideshow attraction with its own gear grind. Nothing more.

They will bring back open world PvP but as of now it was very buggy and widely exploited. They're most likely going to reveal sometime later of its return.

They will bring back open world PvP but as of now it was very buggy and widely exploited. They're most likely going to reveal sometime later of its return.

Ilum wasn't open world to begin with. It's a PVP lake. Open world PVP is broken because Republic and Empire are segregated into their own little quest areas on each planet.

Either way, there still aren't going to be faction and server wide implications for winning or losing Ilum 2.0. It's just going to be another sideshow attraction.

Edited by Gungan

It is already 100% clear from what BioWare, scratch that, Mythic did with Ilum, and what they're doing with their revamped PVP rewards that they do not intend to put any kind of meaningful PVP into this game. It will never have faction or server wide implications. It is always going to be a sideshow attraction with its own gear grind. Nothing more.

After EA got BW, it was certain that SWTOR would be made to be separate from WAR. By the time WAR's failure was evident, SWTOR was long in development. If anything, WAR's failure probably made PvP's role even more marginal. Trying to please the PvP crowd doesn't pay dividends.

The PvP folks have also been their own worst enemies with SWTOR. They didn't want to play Ilum as it was intended, but tried to just farm it without actually PvPing. They haven't bothered to use Outlaw's Den. They always want more, are dissatisfied with what exists and try to find ways to get around doing PvP as the developers intended. It's the same in every game.

Personally I think there should be a small PvP zone with targets that can be captured or destroyed on every shared planet. I still don't think they would see much use.

what exactly did the MYthic team do in this game? cuz this plays nothing like WAR.

i mean, it really doesnt folks. i played WAR from launch, got my free xfer to Gorefang, the whole nine yards.

the pvp is different because remember WAR had collision detection, there was guild taxes for all the loot you picked up etc.

but im genuinely curious as to what the mythic team did in this game.

Ilum wasn't open world to begin with. It's a PVP lake. Open world PVP is broken because Republic and Empire are segregated into their own little quest areas on each planet.

Either way, there still aren't going to be faction and server wide implications for winning or losing Ilum 2.0. It's just going to be another sideshow attraction.

There easily could be small implications. Small faction wide rewards for controlling Ilum.

Planets like Tatooine, Hoth or Alderaan are mostly open for world PvP, as the sides are not segregated. In comparison to WAR, the only things lacking are the RvR areas with keeps from between the questing areas that are not shared.

Even in a game like WAR the only long term implications from RvR were increasing unbalance between factions - as people joined the side which won more, which drew more people in - and loss of subscribers, as people bored of the zergs and daily sieges of the one and the same capital.

what exactly did the MYthic team do in this game? cuz this plays nothing like WAR.

i mean, it really doesnt folks. i played WAR from launch, got my free xfer to Gorefang, the whole nine yards.

the pvp is different because remember WAR had collision detection, there was guild taxes for all the loot you picked up etc.

but im genuinely curious as to what the mythic team did in this game.

The Mythic team did PvP.

God, people can't read. That is ONE analyst, note: ANALYST

IE: Outside source who SPECULATES

One analyst saying they had moved people to help finish SWTOR. As in before the game was out.

So many people need to just go back to school instead of play MMO's.

I whole heartily agree, but in Bioware's case you need two content patches to make up for one that other games release.

First, the initial patch

Second, the patch to fix the game breaking bugs of the first patch.

Haha.

Funny.

:jawa_biggrin:

Well that doesn't surprise me. The same failures that created DA2 can continue to fail in SWTOR.

Nobody was going to buy DA3 after the DA2 debacle. In fact sales were so anemic and the game got such bad press that retailers refuse to stock the proposed "Ultimate Edition" of DA2 because it would be a "waste of shelf space."

DA:O is still stocked and in fact sells for more than DA2 does. Bioware needs to right the ship or they are pretty much finished as a quality dev at least in my eyes.

Exactly!

Sadly if anyone followed whats happened, most of the developers from the KotOR era, DA;O era, ME1 era, Jade Empire Era have left EAoware. Gaider and a couple others hanging around but thats really about it from all reports.

The big hit was losing Drew K though.

But thing is and it amazes me people still dont understand this.

You can have a billion devs working on a project but until that project targets the problem areas, the game is going to suffer!

The number one comment since closed beta is "this game feels like a single player game" still remains and no amount of devs will change that until EAoware accepts they need to put in MMO elements that build community, build socialization (outside the limited guild selection), build interaction.

Sadly though, just this last week we were told point blank that none of those issues are being dealt with in the forseeable future!

So expect more content, maybe even faster made content, but players will burn through it and get bored and leave because no amount of devs can code fast enough for gamers and in this game, when the content is used up, the game is done.

PS: I keep reading about how each patch brings more bugs.

Not for nothing but the genre has been that way since '91

EVERY SINGLE GAME EVER MADE has had issues with bugs happening when patchs are pumped out!

Of all the issues you could complain about for TOR (and there is many)

BUGS are relatively minor in scope.

They happen, they get reported, they get fixed, new ones appear.

If anyone truely thinks they ever going to get a bug free enviroment, they are delussional

I been playing since closed beta and while there is some bugs, they far a few between when you look at game slike SWG, UO, AC, EQ, DDO, Final Fantasy, and more

TOR is actually one of the better releases when it comes to limited bugs.

Not perfect but nothing really game breaking either that I seen.

The number one comment since closed beta is "this game feels like a single player game" still remains and no amount of devs will change that until EAoware accepts they need to put in MMO elements that build community, build socialization (outside the limited guild selection), build interaction.Sadly though, just this last week we were told point blank that none of those issues are being dealt with in the foreseeable future!.

Exactly, and there is a ramp up time before any new hire or transfer can be productive. There are core concepts at the heart of the game which are flawed and they are quite frankly too risky and time consuming to address at this point, much longer than adding another flashpoint or operation.

More developers on SWTOR = great news

I agree. If EA/BioWare can figure out what priorities really need to be worked on, there is lots of potential for this game. I mean take a look at Rift, that game is still going after a year and it's not a fraction of a game that TOR is.

1.) ToR is soooo much better than any other recently released mmo out ther (*coug*Teraaionrift*cough*)

2.) Its evolving at a pace Ive nver seen before. Even WoW stagnated for a year after release.

3.) Some bugs are annoying, but come on, there arent any gamebreakers. Every other mmo is way more bugged. I remember net being able to kill´a Dungeonboss in Aion for at least 3 months. Or dieing to falldamage while walking around in Rift.

4.) Dragon Age 2 was good. It wasnt the milestone DA:O was, but the story and the characters were excellent, like they always are in BioWare-Games. and since Im much more interested in good storytelling than graphics I still enjoy all of their games. I really hope this decision doesnt delay DA3, cause Im really looking forward to it.

My advice to all of you: Strap on a pair and appreciate the things you have instead of stomping BioWare.

This is pretty normal in the games business. DA3 isn't due out any time soon and they don't have an announced release date so slipping from some internal estimate to another doesn't hurt them any.

I know several studios go 'all in' where all the teams regardless of what other projects they were working on, end up all on a game for a few months before release. NCSoft did it, I'm sure to some degree blizzard does it, funcom does it, EA is too big to do it as a whole but I'm sure some of their teams do it. In this particular case rather than release it's a desperate race to triage. Losing 400k subs is catastrophically bad this early. Bonuses won't be paid, people will lose jobs, and the negative publicity will feed into more people leaving. They need to staunch the bleeding and get some awesome stuff out the door and fast.

Professionally (i.e. as a game developer) this has it's ups and downs. If you don't know MMO's it would be very difficult. But if you're into MMO's, or at least intellectually interested in the concept it gives you a chance to see other problems from new perspectives. Making the same sort of game over and over doesn't do any favours. This way you get a chance to broaden yourself professionally, and get a chance to incorporate ideas from other people into your own work.

Also remember that KOTOR1 was a BioWare edmonton project, I'm sure there are a lot of people there who have put their hearts and souls into making the KOTOR franchise, and are thrilled at the chance to get their paws on SWTOR. I'm sure a lot of people, especially those who like healthcare, and snow were heartbroken when BioWare (before it was EA) outsourced to a new studio in texas.

There's also a lot to be said for bringing in outside eyes to the project. No matter how good your game is, you need to get out of your own self fulfilling and delusional bubble and have other people play it, and give honest feedback. And they desperately need people who are actual game developers, can speak the bioware language, and can look at what's in the pipe and give an unbiased assessment. If you handed 'the public' the patch 1.5 or 1.6 or even 2.0 content today most people wouldn't really know what to make of it or what to do with it. A developer can look at something that's deep in the pipeline and figure out how some design docs, concept art and scattered prototyping will translate into a product.