Feedback request from James Ohlen - "Your Star Wars fantasy"

StephenReid

Which [I]Star Wars[/I] fantasy excites you the most?  

3,019 members have voted

1. 1. Which [I]Star Wars[/I] fantasy excites you the most?

• Full 3D space battles
    • Vehicle combat (eg, AT-ATs)
    • Pod/speeder racing
    • Capital ship battles

Look to the old game starlancer for space combat - best flying game ever made as far as I'm concerned. The missions were super fun, the space combat was perfect, the ships were awesome, the missle system was great, power distribution was such a nice feature, etc. The game really was good - all it needed was more customization for appearance and some ship part customization (and fewer bugs - it was really buggy). The best features of the game (it was pretty much all awesome, but some features really stand out) were missile choices and ship power distribution. Specifically the types of missiles and the ways you could use them.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes no sense to separate option 1 and option 4. I'm assuming you mean that if you added capital ship battles, it would be in the current rail-shooter style. Ideally I'd like to have all of those things, but I'd say the most exciting would be a fully 3d space battle that allowed me to team up with friends to take on NPCs or players from the opposite faction.

Taking a long-term view of eventually including all of those features, I'd say the priority should be to implement flashpoint/warzone system for space battles, that could then be applied to other mini games like open-world vehicle battles and pod-racing. Seems like things that should really be in a paid expansion though.

I chose 3D Space Combat System. I love space combat like how its meant to be. And I love to dog fight in a PVP setting. What I would like to see is a free roaming style space combat like what you would see in SWG or Freelancer. I have played both games and they allow the flexible that a player likes to have and make the space battle more realistic than a rail shooter style minigame would have. 3D Space combat would also allow for multiple players to play in the same ship (as in SWG's gunboats and Transports). In the way of graphics, Freelancer is a good example of a 3D Space Game with the realistic touchs that make the game fun to play, so combining the two systems would make SWTOR's space combat both fun and graphicly pleasing.

The X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter series of games were some of the most popular Star Wars games ever made - and with good reason! People still play them today, even though they are a decade old. Adding real 3D combat to SWTOR would be a huge boost for the game!

^- That

Cap-Ship Battles = What do you mean? I'd like to see Cap ship vs Cap ship in battle with groups of single man fighters in huge battles in both PVP and PVE settings. Players can "defend/attack" a cap ship from/as a boarding party. Fly a 1-man fighter to pick off enemy fighters, bombers, etc. However, I include that as part of the "Full 3D space battles" section of your question. Also, boarding a enemy cap ship to disable critical parts = YES please. There is class missions similar to that already.

Pod/Speeder racing = What the current on-rail "space combat" should have been. Couldn't be too hard to re-skin to include this too.

AT-AT combat = Can be a cheesy or could be good but I would rather see the space & cap ship battles first.

Except that 'none of the above' is valid feedback. None of the options listed remotely interest me, none of them are my "Star Wars fantasy," and none of them are something I personally would want valuable development resources spent on. There are other issues I'd rather see dealt with, and other features I'd rather see added. So, none of the above.

So...don't vote?

The X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter series of games were some of the most popular Star Wars games ever made - and with good reason! People still play them today, even though they are a decade old. Adding real 3D combat to SWTOR would be a huge boost for the game!

/signed

Indeed, how would you have a full space battle without capital ships? Ideally you could have events that were open to guild ships and personal ships. I'd also like to add that it would be nice at some point to introduce personal fighter ships. Right now the game only has 3 mid range ships available to each faction, not so much Star Wars as planet wars.

I'll go with space combat, mostly because it's most likely to be avaible even for solo players. After that, it's vehicle combat and then capital ships. Space combat is 'safer', as it don't have to include pvp, and in any new combat, there are lot of new issues. So assuming team will develop winning feature among those, going with space combat has greatest chances of getting enjoyable content sooner.

On other hand, there is space combat already here, so entirely new, fresh feature would be better. And assuming vehicles would take more than one person to drive, they are similar to capital ships(exception - they may include players outside, capital ships would need new space combat for that), as it's similar feature it could be developed simultaneously(at least to some point).

So final answer would be: Full 3D space combat, with later added player manned capital ships(and capital ships combat).

I love XvT. Those games are amazing. However, I don't think they should be done in SWTOR. I don't think BW has the development bandwidth to fully satisfy a game like that. Implementing anything even close to XvT would be like building a game in and of itself.

Rogue squadron style MIGHT be do-able, but its hard to say without knowing hte limitations of the engine. I don't think it would be easy though.

----

Vehicle combat is stupid. Its stupid in WoW, it'll probably be stupid in SWTOR. Unless your vehicles are starfighters.... and your game is x-wing vs tie fighter.

---

Pod racing was fun on the N64. Might even be doable on an adapted version of the current space combat engine. I like this idea.

---

Capital ship battles are cool. Fun to look at. I feel like this is largely unexplored territory. Needs a lot of design work. Its probably a lot like naval warfare.

sorry, i dont understand the difference between 3d space battles and capital ship battles.

can you actually advise categorically what this means, as lots of people in this thread seem to be dreaming up what they 'think' it means and voting according to that...

what the heck is a capital ship battle and what does that involve? a guild on their own ship? fighting what? an npc ship? another guild ship? would this therefore not be in 3d as its a different option to option 1 (3d space battles)?

explain plox.

I voted for space combat love. In the escalation of intergalactic war, it is very probable that the smaller ship skirmish assets are going to come first. Then capital ships will be critical to get the small ships in range to do actual offensives. Once capital ships can be deployed at strategic points, you can unleash the ground war. A whole lot of spectacular and epic comes to the story when we get 3d space combat.

Possibly related to podracing in implementation, how about a little mini that's something akin to the Kessel Run? That would be a good daily that could give some sort of victory points when the war starts, as logistics is half of any war and doesn't need to be so PVP oriented. What smuggler out there doesn't want to have the bragging rights of "the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs'?

Add "x-wing vs tie fighter"-like space combat.

Solo and against/with other players.

With ship progression :

- Buy a basic spaceship, with no mod or such. There are dozens of basic spaceship, with different looks and stats

- We would be able to customize them :

- Improve engines

- Add guild logos and predefined patterns

- Change ship colors

- Change or add weapons

- Change or add protections

- We would be able to add turrets to the ship

- These turrets would be either controlled by an IA or by another player

Take me out to the black, tell em I ain't commin back...

Oh wait wrong IP.

I played in that other Star Wars MMO. I played from an early shuttle beta, solidly until the NGE.

Even after the NGE I came back. Several times. Did I do anything on ground? No. The ground 'rpg' was pointless to someone who lived the original iteration of the game.

I came to play among the stars.

I created a character and ran them (one character) through all 9 space trees. Even though I'd done 3-4 already.

I went back several more times even.

I did pvp in space. I HATE PVP. But pvp in space was 20% gear, 80% your skill with the stick.

As an aside, I own X-wing (+all add ons), Tie Fighter (ditto) XvT and X-wing Alliance. If someone at lucasarts would green light a real thematic sequel and not another stupid rail runner or follow the bouncing ship game, I'd have the thing pre-ordered the first day I could.

I still own a fully functional (and still working with Windows 7) Sidewinder Force feedback joystick. The monster with the direct geared motors and an AC power pack, no silly repurposed vibrating spheres or stretchy cable systems.

I also have a Thrustmaster HOTAS throttle, giving me enough buttons and analog to do everything but chat without ever touching the keyboard.

Frankly, I wasn't even planning on playing TOR. Oh it's pretty enough, but I saw the 'brilliant space combat' and wanted to barf. No thanks. Someone bought it for me for Christmas and I'm still knocking down storyline. But if you want me to stay... give me my snub fighter and a few thousand targets to shoot down with it. And free pvpw/pve zones would be great too.

Let me feel the adrenaline of zeroing in on a target as suddenly colored beams fly across my path from the guy dropping in to gank me, using lasers so I don't get a missile lock warning.

Let me eyeball the missile so I can jink with full power to engines to maybe, maybe, avoid the hit.

Just... real SW space combat.

Full 3D Space battles with PVP etc is fantastic but I really want to see Capital Ships come into the picture too.

Could Have Guild Wars that take place in space with Capital Ships duking it out and then boarding actions perhaps. Just unique ways to spice up pvp

Edited by Suba

You guys already have the mechanics in place for some great PVP on every world. You already put in the time to create some great worlds. Why not put them to use? You already have different instances for every zone when the population gets to high. Why not just make a PVP layer? This layer could include control points spawn zones and anything else that would just be on the PVP layer. The low level PVP layer for that planet would restrict players +-5 levels of the questing zone. Another layer could be just for level 50's only. So many possibilities with tools you already have in place.

Honestly, full 3D space combat is the only appealing option here for me. In a perfect world, I'd like to see podracing in the Old Republic, but I don't think that would be any fun with the lag as it is. There are times when I can't move for several seconds due to lag, and in a race, those seconds could be the difference between first and eighth place. If we get to a point where the lag is reduced enough to accomodate Star Wars racing, I'd play it instantly. As it is, though, I can wait.

Also, What is the difference between the 3D space battles and the Capital Ship battles? Wouldn't Capital Ship Battles be in 3D space combat too, or are we talking about multiplayer rail shooters?

3D Space Combat please. Nothing would generate as much excitement for my guild as being able to take part in some X-Wing/Tie-Fighter skirmishes, both PvE and PvP.

Also, I don't get why it has to be either 3D Space Combat or Cap Ship battles. Is it so hard to envision a space combat design that has players in both cap ships and single person star fighters simultaneously?