Feedback request from James Ohlen - "Your Star Wars fantasy"

StephenReid

Which [I]Star Wars[/I] fantasy excites you the most?  

3,019 members have voted

1. 1. Which [I]Star Wars[/I] fantasy excites you the most?

• Full 3D space battles
    • Vehicle combat (eg, AT-ATs)
    • Pod/speeder racing
    • Capital ship battles

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speeder racing. Assuming I can gamble on races by placing money on myself to win or other players when I'm not racing. Then I can whisper them violent and hurtful things when they lose a race and cost me hundreds of thousands of credits.

...on second thought, just let me bet on myself.

3-D space everything.

I want to be able to mine asteroids, hang out with friends in my ship while we fly around a planet. I want to be able to have my friend pilot while I man the upper turret and someone else mans the lower turret.

Also personal and guild houses/ships. Player run towns/space stations.

Full 3D free roaming multiplayer space battles

Fixed. Just in case...

(Edit) and please don't base your space enhancement on anything else than X-Wing series, not even Battlefront.

Why not Battlefront? Because even if X-Xing learning curve is higher, in the long term players will keep playing it. Whereas a more simple game like BF space sim will always stays less interesting as easier to master and fall in the boring and repetitive part.

Edited by Deewe

If we get capital ship battles, i'd love to see crafting incorporated or some type of ship skill, like engineering, weapons, life support skills so some players can be manning stations like that and give buffs/repairs to the ship as the fight rages on, others can be launched in their fighters to go against other support craft.

Full 3D space battles

• this is the second thing I had in my head when I heard about MMO SWTOR few years ago, so... yes ! pvp style tie fighters vs x-wing cockpit/3rd person ? YES YES

Vehicle combat (eg, AT-ATs)

• It would be interesting if it was done with fast-paced combat .. but again.. it's ground combat. And we already have plenty of ground combat (warones, open world..)

Pod/speeder racing

• definitely Yes! It is just too iconic not to be in a Star Wars game. And also I think you have KOTOR fans around

Capital ship battles

• I'm not sure what is meant by "ship battles", but the first thing on my mind is... warzone.. and then.. Voidstar. It is something we already have and I don't see it like a warzone content. But if it was made in context with 3D space battles (ship landings, turret mounts... you know what I mean), I would say YES

this is just my opinion..

Edited by Loading

I voted for Space Battles. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with the current rail shooter if we had a bit more control of the ship movements. By that I mean currently we can control the elevation of the ship but not left/right with the keyboard. If we could control the ship with the keyboard and the aiming with the mouse I would be fine with that.

But if you are going to do full 3D Space Combat then do it right, not like Star Trek Online. There is no "up" in space. Sure for those who want simple controls you can have that, but also have the ability to turn that off and take full control of the ship would be very cool. Of course we are now talking about a full flight sim and I would be very surprised if they did that.

Additionally, it would be nice if there were "Heroic" quests that required more that one ship to complete. Integrating space battles into the character stories would also be a step in the right direction. You know, having a "reason" to do them other than as a diversion from the primary part of the game.

Firstly, as many have already said, none of the above. None of those things sound particularly interesting or like they would add anything to the game.

That being said, I voted for Capital Ship Battles. That one seems the most nebulous, so I can see it being taken like a PvP or PvE thing. Basically, it won by being the lesser of 4 evils.

I don't like the idea of Full 3D space battles, mostly because I've played games where they tried something like it and it just didn't work. WoW is the best example of this. Not having a "floor" is VERY disorrienting and takes a lot of practice to get used to. Anyone that has played the Oculus dungeon in WoW knows exactly what I'm talking about. While the game can simulate 3D space, without very precise scaling, depth perception is very difficult. If the game had a horizon lock or something, that might help though.

I don't like the vehicle combat I idea again mostly from past experiences. Vehicle combat tends to be very restrictive, with limited abilities and it gets boring fast. It does have the benefit of being ground locked, which give it an edge over space combat, but space combat has the potential to be much more interesting, even with fewer abilities in a ship than in a standard vehicle.

And as for pod/speeder racing, I think the Episode I filmmakers did a great job of showing just how boring that is. They spent something like 30 minutes in the movie just about pod racing. Yet even they realized how boring it was and put in a scene that poked fun at that fact. It was when they cut to Jabba during the race, he's not even paying attention, and distractedly flicks the toad thing off the balcony. So boring. No thank you.

Honestly, my true Star Wars fantasy would be something like the "Scenario" idea from WoW. Like any 3 people, whether dps, tank, or healer (the important thing being that any 3 people can run them together, removing the neccessity of the rigid holy trinity group formation) can join in a fast paced, assault type game. Like 3 random dpsers can que up, then run a 15 minute scenario where they assault a bunker, plant a bomb, and defend it against the bad guys until it blows up (like they do on Endor in Episode VI, without the Ewoks though).

Fixed. Just in case...

(Edit) and please don't base your space enhancement on anything else than X-Wing series, not even Battlefront.

Why not Battlefront? Because even if X-Xing learning curve is higher, in the long term players will keep playing it. Whereas a more simple game like BF space sim will always stays less interesting as easier to master and fall in the boring and repetitive part.

I'd say a mix of X-Wing and JtL would be perfect. POB ships where you can have several people as a crew was the most epic thing I've ever experienced in any MMO to date.

Friends n I thought it would be great to have Big ship battles. Prob work best on PVP. Fly my ship into a real time battle ground. try to slip into a hangar of my team n defend against boarding party or visa verse. all the while having in ship objectives. An AT-AT would be great to have in battle ground stuff too. no speeder stuff please.

:) my first MMO. love it totally hooked. despite nonconstructive nasty forum stuff. everyone in game has been very nice and helpful... except when I accidentally double ninja loot. sorry duders. :o

I want all 4 types !

Voted for vehicle ground combat.

Would trully need to be 3d with great views all around the vehicle. each team memeber being in his own vehicle with npc's assiting.

For the space fighter combat option, please conside also doing ground support missions

that invovle teams working together or against each other.

I.e. 1 side in attacking aircraft against ground targets. Defenders would be manning anti aircraft defences and or fighters shooting down intercepting the attackers.

Also consider adding in attacking npc's to fill out times when there might not be enough human players to add in realism and make it truly epic propertions.

I assume by 'Full 3D Space Battles' you mean taking the current space battles off the rails. That's the one I voted for. Now, I'm actually one of the people who finds the current space battles a nice, fun diversion. But having full control could be even better.

I'd say capital ship battles would be second on my list. I'm not sure what that would actually involve but it's in space, which is always a nice change of pace since the majority of the game takes place on the ground.

Next would be vehicle combat. It's not something I especially want and I probably wouldn't partake of it, but at least it's Star Wars-y.

Last, by far, would be pod racing. Hated, hated, hated, hated that sequence in Phantom an in my opinion it would be a waste of resources to bother with in this game.

Just my two credits.

Edit: if you do end up giving full control in space battles, I'd prefer you keep it 3rd person. I like seeing my ships.

Edited by Neamhan

Honestly, it's hard to pick just one. They're all, in my opinion, important to the Star Wars experience. It's hard to say "this one is the most important Star Wars factor".

But I can only pick one, so... while I would love to see racing (podracing, swoop, or anything), and I would really love to see vehicle combat, I'll have to select the "full 3D space battles", because, really, Star Wars is all about space. All of the major battles in the Star Wars movies (except, arguably, Revenge of the Sith) took place in space. That's what the story was all about. I would love to see a much deeper aspect to space in SWTOR.

Though I would like more clarification on "full 3D space battles". What exactly do you mean by this? Are you referring to explorable space, not on a rail shooter, more like X-wing versus TIE Fighter or Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed? Are you referring to simply larger space areas, but still a rail shooter? Or are you simply asking if players would want 3D space-- as in, you wear 3D glasses to make things "pop"? Though I doubt it's the latter, this option could be taken in various ways.

When it comes right down to it... I would love to see all of these poll options in SWTOR.

Edited by Blue_Leader

I can think of nothing more epic or Star Warsy that isn't already in the game other than full 3D space battles. We need an gameplay experience akin to Star Wars Galaxies' Jump to Lightspeed. I think capital ship battles and vehicular combat would be easier once full 3D space battles were implemented.

I would love to host Demolition battles like Jabba did in Star Wars: Demolition.

Fully explorable space battles would be great like in Star Wars Galaxies.

I guess two things which I would most like to see more playable species and explorable worlds. There are already two threads discussing these and of course a dozen others wanting to see more:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=231833

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=212256

Species who don't speak basic aren't a problem as that's just a small minority who didn't want that who have since left. As for worlds, they don't have to be just ones that have spaceports and cities but more like Yavin IV and Dxun.

One of the greatest additions to an older "MMO that shall not be named" was the introduction of siege warfare, and to the same right has been one of the best game mechanics in many first person shooters. Nothing is more epic or boss to a PvP player than destroying a tank or for star wars fans an AT-TE for the pubs, an AT-AT for the Imps, or just some fun AT-ST's for general mayhem to rampage around in.

With this in mind I've been increasingly curious as to why many of the modern popular MMORPG's do not implement a simple "team slayer" type PvP field. Give the PvP'rs what they really want. Not an objective, not a ball or a flag, just a few vehicles to jump in and a simple body count the team has to reach to win.

I want all 4 types !

Voted for vehicle ground combat.

Would trully need to be 3d with great views all around the vehicle. each team memeber being in his own vehicle with npc's assiting.

For the space fighter combat option, please conside also doing ground support missions

that invovle teams working together or against each other.

I.e. 1 side in attacking aircraft against ground targets. Defenders would be manning anti aircraft defences and or fighters shooting down intercepting the attackers.

Also consider adding in attacking npc's to fill out times when there might not be enough human players to add in realism and make it truly epic propertions.

Really, you voted for vehicle ground combat? And you wouldn't rather have 3d space combat?

I guess to each their own...I just don't get it.

Go figure!