[Panel Discussion] Player vs. Player (3:00PM CST)

Because of the new war hero tier gear not requiring valor does that mean battlemaster valor requirement will also be lifted? And if so, are all of us who fought long and hard to achieve said status going to be given nothing in return. Will our time put in essentially mean nothing?

Battlefield 3, has the same system, Valor 60 progression BM gear is a small bonus, because

the rank was meant to be cosmetic. The same applies to Battlefield 3, and just like that game

you have people who kill traded to the top, the rank cannot mean better gear thus they have the Ranked Warzone War Leader gear.

Your rank never meant, will never mean, and honestly has never meant anything. War Leaders

are just people who put alot of time in for pvp, it didnt matter if you won or lost, were bad or good.

Ranked Warzones are the difference. You will have to be in a team that is better than the opposing team to get your War Leader gear.

War Leader will also have dailies. So even that isn't going to be only based on Skill, but the winners will have all of their gear faster.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now I'm confused about 8-man queuing.

At first they made it sound like it was an addition going in with 1.2. But then it was listed on the power point under "Future of Warzones" with "Timeline: TBD".

So yes or no to 8-man for 1.2?

I would like to say the description of War Hero gear was a relief: no PvP requirement.

To get the War Hero gear, you need to PVP. He was just saying, that you could make/buy better armor (stat wise) then War Hero gear.

Really? Have you ever watched an actual sword or gun fight? If you spend your time running around your opponent in circles, you get killed.

I'm sorry but running around may take some modicum of extra effort, but it is the least extra bit of skill incorporation possible, and simply a lazy way of giving players the illusion of doing something more complex.

I don't even PvP, but I know that auto-facing abilities would kill PvP

I am really curious how viable PvP gear is going to be in PvE. The way they put it, it sounded like PvE gear would be semi-viable in PvP but PvP gear would not be terribly viable in PvE.

Not sure what I think of that.

As to the question about the running in circles and/or through people: While I appreciate why one wouldn't want auto-facing, and I'm cool with that, it still overlooks the issue that has been around forever in that other game, where players exploit latency and facing mechanics to basically prevent their opponent form getting attacks in. This leads to a very twitch style of play that is somewhat contrary what what most expect from a MMORPG.

I'm not sure the best way to address it, maybe there only need to be an initial facing and range check when the attacker hits the button to take away some of the latency and running in circles cheese.

A method to encourage world pvp might be to incentiveize attacking and defending open locations.

Make defending a city worth light points and attacking worth dark points.. this could very easily make world pvp awesome.

add dark points for killing lowbies and light points for defending / rezing them

No answer/fix to resolve and silly amounts of CC was disheartening. Its truly the biggest concern in PvP for me. But I guess overall it isn't that huge, as the pushing back of 1.2 moves it back closer to whenever GW2 releases, and thus, the end of most people that are playing this game as a bridge to something better.

As to the question about the running in circles and/or through people: While I appreciate why one wouldn't want auto-facing, and I'm cool with that, it still overlooks the issue that has been around forever in that other game, where players exploit latency and facing mechanics to basically prevent their opponent form getting attacks in. This leads to a very twitch style of play that is somewhat contrary what what most expect from a MMORPG.

I'm not sure the best way to address it, maybe there only need to be an initial facing and range check when the attacker hits the button to take away some of the latency and running in circles cheese.

An thus why you should use knockbacks and spam stun till it fires. Ends Circle straffing rather quick not to mention you could always counter circle them. There's alot of way to combat circle straffing even with latency. Autofacing is the worst way to combat it. It basically makes it impossible for you to sneak attack on someone.

Edited by Kindara

Really? Have you ever watched an actual sword or gun fight? If you spend your time running around your opponent in circles, you get killed.

I'm sorry but running around may take some modicum of extra effort, but it is the least extra bit of skill incorporation possible, and simply a lazy way of giving players the illusion of doing something more complex.

Have you actually watched a real sword and gun fight? Please link if you have because I haven't.

Also it seems like the guy running around is killing you and not other way around. If it only took a "modicum" of extra effort why don't you do it? O wait, you lack the skills to do so. Sorry man but it is no "illusion" if you are dying from it because the other player is able to put in the extra effort. Not everyone wants to just play with only a keyboard.

Yes latency can be an issue but I get a feeling that is not why you are dying.

Edited by KronikInsomniak

Possibilité de grouper à huit, et pas besoin de regrouper à chaque fois suite à une zone de guerre. Woot :cool:

Un grand Merci pour l’attention apporté a la communauté PvP....

Cet annonce me rend jouasse :D

Edited by DarkLazor

When it the terrible performance going to be fixed? Warzones framerates are beyond unacceptable are are affecting far more than "just 5%". Adding more competitive rewards for winning pvp os pointless when you are playing in a slideshow on an high end system.

This, except the issue for me is on Illum and not in warzones. And I too have a solid, high end system. I can barely play on Illum, and only after I gut all of the graphics and disable name plates.

Possibilité de grouper à huit, et pas besoin de regrouper à chaque fois suite à une zone de guerre. Woot

This is from the French Community manager Charlotte Dubois.

Translation: "Possibility to group with 8 players and no need to re-create the group at the end of every Warzone."

If this is indeed true and included in 1.2, I'm happy about one change at least. :)

This is from the French Community manager Charlotte Dubois.

Translation: "Possibility to group with 8 players and no need to re-create the group at the end of every Warzone."

If this is indeed true and included in 1.2, I'm happy about one change at least. :)

Same problem my 6970 + i7 930 creams all games but go to ilum it uses 20% and i get 10 fps move back 10 meters it goes to 60 :/

I just have to throw in my two bits.

I'm extremely disappointed with the gear comments on pvp. I understand why you wouldn't want pvp gear to be optimal in raiding. However, the changes to further weaken pvp gear in pve is extremely disappointing. As it stands now, while leveling, my gear quickly falls behind while doing pvp. I'm at a constant disadvantage except for two levels (20 and 40). Meanwhile you want pve gear to work just fine in pvp. I guess it's just more of your PVE favoritism. Just another reason to quit this game I guess.

Edited by Dosvidaniya

I just have to throw in my two bits.

I'm extremely disappointed with the gear comments on pvp. I understand why you wouldn't want pvp gear to be optimal in raiding. However, the changes to further weaken pvp gear in pve is extremely disappointing. As it stands now, while leveling, my gear quickly falls behind while doing pvp. I'm at a constant disadvantage except for two levels (20 and 40). Meanwhile you want pve gear to work just fine in pvp. I guess it's just more of your PVE favoritism. Just another reason to quit this game I guess.

I have to put that to rest. PVE gear is not going to be SEMI anything. Even as entry level. They are reworking the stats to mean that PVE gear is going to = Naked. Your rakata gear will not

be able to aid you as much anymore. Your 126 cent gear will probably take the place of it

because expertise is going to be getting a bump.

PVP gear is not going to get you invited to endgame content and being full rakata is not

going to get you on the ranked warzone teams. I think everyone will see what I mean

when they log in on 1.2

Edited by Ravonous_Curse

I liked how it was in beta... at least at one point for sure... the pvp gear you got from vendors ranged in level from 10-50 (not just 20, 40, 50... but different levels in between as well) AND from 20+ had expertise on it. That made PvP gear... PvP-centric. There is nothing wrong with being required to have PvP Gear for PVP and PvE Gear for PVE. Edited by Spuck

When is the game going to be redesigned to get rid of the game-controlled cache system it now uses, which freezes graphics rendering and is one of the main reasons that Ilum and WZs are so laggy? Edited by Ozzone

I would like to know why PVP putting players in teams is so badly bugged I have just played three pvp matches in a row and been put with a group of Light to Medium Armour, ranged players against Heavy Armour tanks and healers this is very unfair it needs to be sorted.

Performance - engine can't seem to sustain more than 8 to 16 people at best. Anything greater and your fps hits the pooper.

Lack of world pvp incentives - probably tied to client side performance if you think about it. Game maps and world environment are huge yet on pvp servers you rarely see anyone while questing. I didn't until I was lvl 28 and hit Aleraan :( Massive isn't there - plays like a single player game.

Tag cap valor per kill - say 1,000 valor. Solo kill you get 1,000 / max. Group of 4 kill same target they would each get 250, and so on. This way if you are in group, area on map, heal, melee, or ranged and took part of the kill, you would get equal percentage of valor. Furthermore, it would allow equal valor regardless of solo or group play and you can choose to do this at your own pace. Solo may yield more, group may equate to faster. Think DaOC retail post change which helped healers a ton.

Get creative and develop dynamic maps. Lets face it war zones are nice and all but every other MMO out there has them but under a different name. Battle grounds, war zones, whatever. Kick the other games in the nuts and tell your designers / developers you want to create maps on the fly. Problem solved. This way we don't get bored and it is more fun - almost like world pvp.

Incentives incentive incentives. Set control points, open portal, allow greater exp, coin, and valor. Risk vs. reward. Problem solved. Entery requires control, if you are inside and control changes, decision time... someone already mentioned it - Darkness Falls.

Space combat. Why not - just open up a section and anyone who enters if FFA regardless of side. You play solo, group, whatever. Hide, stealth, upgrade ships whatever. Might as well allow us mroe options. If not, EvE will take over that part with their Dust code drop.

PvE vs. PvP gear - don't allow pvp gear in instances. Furthermore, create incentives to wear pvp gear as you are so that if you want to wear your pve gear to party, you will get smoked. Problem solved. Hell - easy fix because you can add a filter check upon entry of the instance for all pve content. Enter - check character for gear, don't allow or do....

Bottom line here is that as a game you have to compare what you offer that other MMO's don't other than the THEME PARK atmosphere. Right now rated warzones isn't going to do it. Leaving Ilum as is won't do it. Wow come a few months is going to focus on World pvp. GW2 is also talking up world vs world pvp. It is easy to go back to what 10 million people have already played or left a max level character. GW2 is easy enough to start because it will be fresh and exciting. What will you have outside the theme park?

A huge fast beautiful world with nothing in it but NPC's moving in a scripted fashion. I honestly don't know what your pvp player base is but you have a potential here to actually kick it up a notch and offer something unique that others don't.

The choice is yours but I for one was hoping I'd hear Ilum changes and not what I did...that you are leaving it alone. Almost ready to cancel....

Smuggler

Rank 55

PvP server

If that isn't enough I'm repub and out gunned (missile, missile, missile, lightning, lightning, lightning) and under populated :( Leave pvp the way it is and I'm out. I'm not interested in theme park MMO's. I like to play vs. players and currently it isn't cutting it.