[Panel Discussion] Player vs. Player (3:00PM CST)

UPDATE: Please see Stephen's post here. I've updated the post below to reflect his comments.

Just to clarify, since I've seen this question a number of times in this thread. What we said was:

• Cross-server PvP queuing is in the works
  • Once it launches, it will allow us to do things such as:
  • More level bracketing

• 8-man team creation

• Ability to queue for a specific warzone

There is no current timeline for this feature, and there's also no guarantee that it will all happen at once, but cross-server queuing will open up a bunch of possibilities for us. Once we have more details, of course, we will let you know.

Temporarily retracted while I read something.

Edited by SageH

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding from the information provided is that there are two separate ELOs for each player: A Solo ranking and a Party ranking. Has anyone found information to answer the following questions:

1. Do all solo-queuing players only play against other solo queues?

2. Are there different party rankings for different group sizes / compositions / members, or simply one overall for when not queueing solo?

3. Can you queue with less than a full premade of 8?

I think there was great concern over the ability to have a full 8-man ranked WZ team, and that's been addressed. I'm wondering about the mechanics for solo queueing and possibly queueing with less than a full 8-man premade, as it will affect planning and social grouping for PVP.

no 8 man queud for ranked wrazone in 1.2 means i canceled my subs i dont gonna pay a game where i cant queued whit my full premade in a premade system ranking gg

RANKING = PREMADE

PREMADE = A LOT OF FRIEND TOGETHER

if you cant queue more than 8 than you dont deserve to play ranking

You feel pretty silly now don't you.

;)

David was trying to clarify the 'Future of Warzones' section of the PvP presentation, but that's caused a bit more confusion; apologies. I huddled with Gabe Amatangelo about this question and got a definitive answer.

You can queue as an eight-man Operations group in Game Update 1.2, for ranked Warzones only.

In the future, whenever cross-server Warzone queuing is possible, the plan is to allow people to create teams of eight which can be named, etc.

The PvP team is aware of the importance of ranked Warzones and PvP rankings in general, hence allowing eight-man queuing. Apologies again for the confusion. We hope everyone's going to enjoy the feature!

Are ranked solo queues going to be separate from group/ops queues or will people solo queuing have to play against pre-made groups/ops?

David was trying to clarify the 'Future of Warzones' section of the PvP presentation, but that's caused a bit more confusion; apologies. I huddled with Gabe Amatangelo about this question and got a definitive answer.

You can queue as an eight-man Operations group in Game Update 1.2, for ranked Warzones only.

In the future, whenever cross-server Warzone queuing is possible, the plan is to allow people to create teams of eight which can be named, etc.

The PvP team is aware of the importance of ranked Warzones and PvP rankings in general, hence allowing eight-man queuing. Apologies again for the confusion. We hope everyone's going to enjoy the feature!

Speaking of teams, unfortunately a question important to me was not asked at the Summit. Are there any plans for 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 arena style matches? Maybe even a skirmish 1v1 system?

Edited by Starglide

I hope, that when they are able to implement 8 man teams, that they are also able to implement a way to match team queue to team queue, as it is 4 man teams are devastating enough vs your average solo queue pugs that they can demoralize a pug into causing mass players to quit a match. You really don't need unstoppable 8 man teams farming pugs, give them a fair fight against other 8 man teams.

I hope, that when they are able to implement 8 man teams, that they are also able to implement a way to match team queue to team queue, as it is 4 man teams are devastating enough vs your average solo queue pugs that they can demoralize a pug into causing mass players to quit a match. You really don't need unstoppable 8 man teams farming pugs, give them a fair fight against other 8 man teams.

On my server there are about 5-6 guilds (from both factions combined) who are really into pvp. However not even one of those guilds has got enough members (say 9-12) to be able to 8 man queue for rated wz during prime time. My own guild will merge with another one to queue. We were 20 people to begin with, now there are 7-8 of us left.

For rated grp warzone - can we only queue with 8 people or is there a way to queue with 6 or 7? If it is possible, will the remaining slots be filled with solo queuers?

To be fair - 8 man queue for a rated system is a must. Sadly there are hardly enough people left to really enjoy this. Maybe a 3-4 man "warzone" would have been way better. I can get 2-3 people easily, but 7...

On my server there are about 5-6 guilds (from both factions combined) who are really into pvp. However not even one of those guilds has got enough members (say 9-12) to be able to 8 man queue for rated wz during prime time. My own guild will merge with another one to queue. We were 20 people to begin with, now there are 7-8 of us left.

For rated grp warzone - can we only queue with 8 people or is there a way to queue with 6 or 7? If it is possible, will the remaining slots be filled with solo queuers?

To be fair - 8 man queue for a rated system is a must. Sadly there are hardly enough people left to really enjoy this. Maybe a 3-4 man "warzone" would have been way better. I can get 2-3 people easily, but 7...

Your thoughts represent the missing content of rated and 8 man operations.

If you build it they will come.

I think its great that you are making it easier for preforms to get into pvp.

But honestly what worries me is Ilum.

Heres my problem:

Essentially you released an open world pvp zone that was poorly thought out, poorly designed and poorly implemented. It lacks all the fundamentally good aspects of Warhammer Lake PvP (or RvR if it pleases you.) and basically acts like a generic, static, horribly laggy and buggy zone where people can farm one more daily for armaments.

Thats my general complaint. Not helpful. Heres my specific complaint. Which should be more helpful.

1) Entering into the pvp zone triggers quests to appear in my logs. Completing those quests is utterly pointless as it provides a buff, and nothing else. Why are ilum objectives in my quest log? Those types of objectives in the neverending, not really finishable quests dont need to be clogging my quest log.

2) Objectives are pointless. As above, the objectives are pointless. The zone is a giant iceball with a bunch of pretty lasers pew pewing back and forth. But what are we actually doing on Ilum? Theres no bases to assault. Not really. Get too close to them, and you get insta gibbed. I mean, you guys apparently brought over all the guys from Mythic. Did you happen to fire the good ones? Because the Lake RvR had great objectives. Flipping the zone was worthwhile. The objectives were fun. Even being outnumbered and trying to forlornly hold a keep was entertaining. You couldnt make ilum fun with a horde of twilek strippers and free booze. Is this the kind of open world pvp we can look forward too, in Star "Wars"?

Because somewhere along the way, you lost the war part.

3) Warzones: I like most of the warzones.... but honestly, you have three basic variants. Rush, Capture and defend, and football. Ironically as much as people complain about Huttball, I think it came out the best. The Civil War was a good idea, but its.... so horridly boring. The map is tiny, and the amount of strategies you can use could be written on a single page. Its boring. I dont want it to be. But it is.

Voidstar has so many issues its not even funny. Incidently, who thought it would be entertaining to force people to wait behind a shield for 20 seconds? Smack that person. Worse game mechanic ever, in the history of bad game mechanics. But essentially its just a zerg fest. And its so easily defended its not funny. One ranged person in the middle can prevent bomb plants all day long.

I guess, my point is.... the mechanics for the warzones arent that exciting. Star Wars has always been epic. Bioware has always created epic, sweeping games. I had hoped that the pvp would feel.. well.. epic. Seige wars. Objective combat in warzones, not back to the standard capture the flag done in seventeen variants.

I guess, Im just looking to voice a few concerns.

I like the game, and Im looking forward to see where you take it.

I think an opportunity is being missed by Bioware. The opportunities for massive pvp battles are nil outside the pvp Warzones.

PvP operations to the opposite faction's planets, with big rewards for the aggressors and the defenders. The less neutral the planet, like Dromund Kass, the more difficult the Operation.

Also, there is no sense of teamwork in the game. Why not do something like SWG did with guild towns? Let the guilds build towns, construct fortifications, and give them a reason to battle it out with other guilds on the opposing side? Everyone in each guild with have a stake in the construction and defense of their own town, as well as zones/areas/planets giving bonuses for Sith or Republic control.

I think an opportunity is being missed by Bioware. The opportunities for massive pvp battles are nil outside the pvp Warzones.

PvP operations to the opposite faction's planets, with big rewards for the aggressors and the defenders. The less neutral the planet, like Dromund Kass, the more difficult the Operation.

Also, there is no sense of teamwork in the game. Why not do something like SWG did with guild towns? Let the guilds build towns, construct fortifications, and give them a reason to battle it out with other guilds on the opposing side? Everyone in each guild with have a stake in the construction and defense of their own town, as well as zones/areas/planets giving bonuses for Sith or Republic control.

^QFE

I thought I remember reading something about player domains before the beta; perhaps it was just the Spaceship, though. Would it even be feasible for areas on the map to contain player owned domains? Maybe in Tatt :)