[Panel Discussion] Player vs. Player (3:00PM CST)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I missed some key sentences during what I watched today...but that morning break after the introductions has me thinking this summit was "guided" to skate over the hot topics in an effort to keep things mostly positive so that the masses would get excited about the Legacy and new warzones and whatnot. I am a Republic player that has cancelled my membership...but since I prepaid for 6 months I decided to roll Imperial toons to play out my time. I did not see where anything was going to be directly done to correct the population imbalance. The numbers of imperials to republic players did not look that bad...but I wish they would have posted how many Imperial Battlemasters their are vs Republic Battlemasters. Since I have been playing Imperial...I find perks that they have that led to the problem that is now beyond repair. Again, I will state this is my opinion on things and I have heard all I care to hear from trolls. I was hoping to hear from the Dev team today. I was hoping to see light at the end of the tunnel that would have me thinking I would renew my subscription....I did not. The legacy stuff is really cool and I like it...but it was not something that was broken or a reason to leave the game. In the beginning I heard the head of gaming in Austin say that never before has any company rolled out a patch so large for free, but they are doing it because they want you to feel like the game is worth what you are paying for it. That tells me flat out that they currently know that the masses do NOT feel like the game is worth continuing to pay for.

I am not even level 50 on my Imperial toons yet...but here is some things I have found so far that favor the Imperials. I have yet to find anything like this that favors Republic players.

• Low level Imperials can get mod-able gear from social vendors at social-1 while Republic players have to be social-3 to purchase any. I am talking about gear you can by with like 1200 credits...not the pilot set that takes 60 to 90 fleet comms per piece to buy. For the record, none of my 50s (2 and 2 Imp 50s on the way) are past social-2

• On Nar Shadaa, Imperials can ride on "requisitioned" bikes that spawn...getting them to/from quest objectives faster. Republics do not have anything like this available.

• Civil War - Even if Republics cap the first node a few seconds (up to 5 seconds in WZs i have been in) before Imperials cap a node, the Republic ship ALWAYS takes the first tick of damage.

• Imperial Mercenary AOE (Death From Above) provides instant damage to the target area while Republic Commando AOE (Mortar Volley) gives Imperials 2 seconds to move from the target area before damage begins.

• Imperial Sorcerer "Shock" spell (instant cast) provides instant damage while Republic Sage "Project" spell (instant cast) provides damage about 1 second later due to having to wait for the spell graphic to happen.

• Imperial Sorcerer has a blast away that also roots players....Sages do not.

Some other gripes I have but need to do more research on...or would love to hear from those that know for sure....

Population imbalance (which i consider to be a by-product of the items above) has caused irreparable damage to PVP fairness, ability to acquire items on the GM, and any kind of raid progression. On my main Republic toon I am in half Champion and half Centurion gear and Battlemasters 3 shot me all day long...even with my force bubble up. I average 400K heals in WZs and we still get run through as if I wasn't healing at all. ***A side issue for Sorcerers and Sages that are heal spec is that they can sit in a corner, use consumption/noble sacrifice and just heal themselves to pad their healing numbers, and get rewards, that is just broken imo.***

Taking away valor/comm gains in WZ past 4 medals now negatively affects Republic players more since most Imperials have had plenty of opportunity to exploit the pvp imbalance to the point where they are geared Battlemasters. Also the valor caps have me giving up on reaching valor level 60 when coupled with the above (I'm currently valor 56)

Imperials have an aoe CC (the one that has you floundering on the floor) and I have seen nothing on the Republic side work like this. This means 2 imperial players could effectively CC 5 or 6 out of the 8 Republic players in WZ between that and the blast away/root spell because we are only given one escape with a long CD.

Of course there are less important issues like Imperials getting new ships and ours look like old clunkers and the "Sheep herder in rags" pvp look, and the "Religious School Lunchlady" look of PVE gear for light armor wearers.

I see these items posted and discussed/argued/joked about/trolled in the forums on a daily basis. I have yet to see something from the devs in response. Admitting you screwed up would have actually gone a long way with me. To the contrary... ignoring the problems is an insult. As it stands, I am glad I cancelled my subscription.

Edited by DFLuyando

• Low level Imperials can get mod-able gear from social vendors at social-1 while Republic players have to be social-3 to purchase any. I am talking about gear you can by with like 1200 credits...not the pilot set that takes 60 to 90 fleet comms per piece to buy. For the record, none of my 50s (2 and 2 Imp 50s on the way) are past social-2

• On Nar Shadaa, Imperials can ride on "requisitioned" bikes that spawn...getting them to/from quest objectives faster. Republics do not have anything like this available.

• Civil War - Even if Republics cap the first node a few seconds (up to 5 seconds in WZs i have been in) before Imperials cap a node, the Republic ship ALWAYS takes the first tick of damage.

• Imperial Mercenary AOE (Death From Above) provides instant damage to the target area while Republic Commando AOE (Mortar Volley) gives Imperials 2 seconds to move from the target area before damage begins.

• Imperial Sorcerer "Shock" spell (instant cast) provides instant damage while Republic Sage "Project" spell (instant cast) provides damage about 1 second later due to having to wait for the spell graphic to happen.

Some other gripes I have but need to do more research on...or would love to hear from those that know for sure....

Population imbalance (which i consider to be a by-product of the items above) has caused irreparable damage to PVP fairness, ability to acquire items on the GM, and any kind of raid progression. On my main Republic toon I am in half Champion and half Centurion gear and Battlemasters 3 shot me all day long...even with my force bubble up. I average 400K heals in WZs and we still get run through as if I wasn't healing at all. ***A side issue for Sorcerers and Sages that are heal spec is that they can sit in a corner, use consumption/noble sacrifice and just heal themselves to pad their healing numbers, and get rewards, that is just broken imo.***

Taking away valor/comm gains in WZ past 4 medals now negatively affects Republic players more since most Imperials have had plenty of opportunity to exploit the pvp imbalance to the point where they are geared Battlemasters. Also the valor caps have me giving up on reaching valor level 60 when coupled with the above (I'm currently valor 56)

Imperials have an aoe CC (the one that has you floundering on the floor) and I have seen nothing on the Republic side work like this. This means 2 imperial players could effectively CC 5 or 6 out of the 8 Republic players in WZ between that and the blast away/root spell because we are only given one escape with a long CD.

Of course there are less important issues like Imperials getting new ships and ours look like old clunkers and the "Sheep herder in rags" pvp look, and the "Religious School Lunchlady" look of PVE gear for light armor wearers.

I see these items posted and discussed/argued/joked about/trolled in the forums on a daily basis. I have yet to see something from the devs in response. Admitting you screwed up would have actually gone a long way with me. To the contrary... ignoring the problems is an insult. As it stands, I am glad I cancelled my subscription.

Some of the things you mentioned are incorrect. Reps get level 1 social armor on Coruscant and all social armor is light, so it only effects a minority of players.

Sages also get a root on their kb. Like sorcs, the talent for it is in the middle tree.

Patch 1.1.5 fixes the Alderaan bug that caused the East turret to fir twice on activation which gave them a very very slight advantage sometimes.

I believe the CC you are talking about is the Jugg/guardian one. Awe (don't remember the mirror name). Both sides have it and it breaks on damage.

I was very disappointed to see them blow off open world pvp. I really think Gabe is dropping the ball with respect to keeping player conflict as part of the full SWTOR experience. Relegating it to a side show or mini-game, such as Warzones, pretty much makes all the servers pve servers. We are losing the point of having pvp servers at all here. All those people on pvp servers are there because they want player competition in the open world. Not just a side show akin to the space game we have. And that is all that warzones are. And tbh Ilum is no different.

Why are they not introducing some of the rewards for open pvp into the planets from Nar Shada onward? That is where the open world pvp takes place. Give us some kill quests there. And give us a bit of valor for fighting legitimate enemies. That is where they need to start trying to put the Wars back in Star Wars.

I was very disappointed to see them blow off open world pvp. I really think Gabe is dropping the ball with respect to keeping player conflict as part of the full SWTOR experience. Relegating it to a side show or mini-game, such as Warzones, pretty much makes all the servers pve servers. We are losing the point of having pvp servers at all here. All those people on pvp servers are there because they want player competition in the open world. Not just a side show akin to the space game we have. And that is all that warzones are. And tbh Ilum is no different.

Why are they not introducing some of the rewards for open pvp into the planets from Nar Shada onward? That is where the open world pvp takes place. Give us some kill quests there. And give us a bit of valor for fighting legitimate enemies. That is where they need to start trying to put the Wars back in Star Wars.

Mhor, I don't want to sound rude or confrontational, but did you even listen to Gabe? Yes, he did not say open world PvP will be fixed this week or even this month. He did, however, say: (1) ilum is being completely overhauled; and, more to the point, (2) open world pvp is in the works with the Mythic team being particularly itnerested in an RvR style of PvP, which Gabe seemed equally enthusiastic about.

In fact, seeing how important PvP was personally to Gabe, I am quite confident they will keep working to improve it over time. Gabe WANTS the PvP to get increasingly better. His entire presentation on PvP was marked with enthusiasm, and he is clearly a fan. Did you not see how he looked like he was going to puke when someone suggested "auto-face" for PvP? The man wants a competetive PvP. Warzones are just a start, and they are a good way to introduce a structured PvP option while they improve the open world PvP. He talked about this and about their intent to have a quick travel option to particular locations for this purpose.

They cannot do everything right this moment. They admitted the game launched with some staple features missing or incomplete, but then I am glad we got some of the sooner while we wait for the rest they are preparing to unveil. The game is not dull by any means (especially for those of us who did not take weeks off of work/school or otherwise put our lives on hold to rush through content instead of enjoying it).

My point is that, if anyone actually listened to Gabe, then s/he should feel reassured rather than concerned. If this community was like a family, then Gabe is poor ol' dad driving everyone across country for a family vacation with the folks in these forums screaming, like the kids in the backseat, "Are we there yet?" He just told us we are getting closer. Just like the kids will know they have arrived at Disneyland when the car stops, we will all know when the content hits the servers. How many different ways can the devs say, "We are working on it?"

Come on - MOST of us are adults and capable of displaying a little patience. The game is not perfect, but I have a lot of fun playing it now, and, objectively speaking, it is getting better over time. Sure, you cannot please all the people all the time, but if you think this game will forever lack a good open world PvP system, then you either weren't listening or think Gabe was lying. He certainly did not "blow off" open world pvp, and he certainly did NOT say, "No open world PvP - never."

Mhor, I don't want to sound rude or confrontational, but did you even listen to Gabe? Yes, he did not say open world PvP will be fixed this week or even this month. He did, however, say: (1) ilum is being completely overhauled; and, more to the point, (2) open world pvp is in the works with the Mythic team being particularly itnerested in an RvR style of PvP, which Gabe seemed equally enthusiastic about.

In fact, seeing how important PvP was personally to Gabe, I am quite confident they will keep working to improve it over time. Gabe WANTS the PvP to get increasingly better. His entire presentation on PvP was marked with enthusiasm, and he is clearly a fan. Did you not see how he looked like he was going to puke when someone suggested "auto-face" for PvP? The man wants a competetive PvP. Warzones are just a start, and they are a good way to introduce a structured PvP option while they improve the open world PvP. He talked about this and about their intent to have a quick travel option to particular locations for this purpose.

They cannot do everything right this moment. They admitted the game launched with some staple features missing or incomplete, but then I am glad we got some of the sooner while we wait for the rest they are preparing to unveil. The game is not dull by any means (especially for those of us who did not take weeks off of work/school or otherwise put our lives on hold to rush through content instead of enjoying it).

My point is that, if anyone actually listened to Gabe, then s/he should feel reassured rather than concerned. If this community was like a family, then Gabe is poor ol' dad driving everyone across country for a family vacation with the folks in these forums screaming, like the kids in the backseat, "Are we there yet?" He just told us we are getting closer. Just like the kids will know they have arrived at Disneyland when the car stops, we will all know when the content hits the servers. How many different ways can the devs say, "We are working on it?"

Come on - MOST of us are adults and capable of displaying a little patience. The game is not perfect, but I have a lot of fun playing it now, and, objectively speaking, it is getting better over time. Sure, you cannot please all the people all the time, but if you think this game will forever lack a good open world PvP system, then you either weren't listening or think Gabe was lying. He certainly did not "blow off" open world pvp, and he certainly did NOT say, "No open world PvP - never."

Totally agree. I am super happy that they plan to overhaul Ilum. Granted I haven't been there yet, mostly because I'm busy a lot, and can't play all the time; however, from what I've seen from videos and the complaining, I'm glad that they have listend and plan to do a redesign. A lot of the stuff that was said during the summit made me very excited. They seem very confident at what direction they're going and what is on their plate at the moment. I expect a lot of good things in the future.

Maybe I missed some key sentences during what I watched today...but that morning break after the introductions has me thinking this summit was "guided" to skate over the hot topics in an effort to keep things mostly positive so that the masses would get excited about the Legacy and new warzones and whatnot. I am a Republic player that has cancelled my membership...but since I prepaid for 6 months I decided to roll Imperial toons to play out my time. I did not see where anything was going to be directly done to correct the population imbalance. The numbers of imperials to republic players did not look that bad...but I wish they would have posted how many Imperial Battlemasters their are vs Republic Battlemasters. Since I have been playing Imperial...I find perks that they have that led to the problem that is now beyond repair. Again, I will state this is my opinion on things and I have heard all I care to hear from trolls. I was hoping to hear from the Dev team today. I was hoping to see light at the end of the tunnel that would have me thinking I would renew my subscription....I did not. The legacy stuff is really cool and I like it...but it was not something that was broken or a reason to leave the game. In the beginning I heard the head of gaming in Austin say that never before has any company rolled out a patch so large for free, but they are doing it because they want you to feel like the game is worth what you are paying for it. That tells me flat out that they currently know that the masses do NOT feel like the game is worth continuing to pay for.

I am not even level 50 on my Imperial toons yet...but here is some things I have found so far that favor the Imperials. I have yet to find anything like this that favors Republic players.

Did you actually ask other classes, play them all to 50, or do any credible research before posting this long narrative before being wrong on about 90% of it.

You need to take the line " Some other gripes I have but need to do more research on...or would love to hear from those that know for sure...." and do that some more..

Edited by rkspeck

Did you actually ask other classes, play them all to 50, or do any credible research before posting this long narrative before being wrong on about 90% of it.

You need to take the line " Some other gripes I have but need to do more research on...or would love to hear from those that know for sure...." and do that some more..

I agree in terms with what he posted.

The animation differences gives the empire side some advantages that summed makes a good difference. For instance, Awe is a group cc counterpart of the mentioned one. But Awe doesn't throw you to the ground, so you can come back faster. Other thing I'm testing, and so far I have confirmed, is that it is more ease to come out of Awe stun (need less damage).

The Death from Above issues is true (compared many times with my trooper against mercs). The sage one I haven't tested (but I will).

The Alderaan issue may look little, but actually it is not. As many battles in middle tends to drive the battle to an even score, I have seen many many situations where the republic looses for less then 30 points of damage. This means that, in those 2-3 months, the Imperial side have gained more valor and commendations, that summing up gives a tangible advantage.

But the biggest advantage on my perspective that the Empire has over the Republic, is the Jawa companion. Dang... I wish Republic had a companion as awesome as Blizz.

Changing subject a little, I found that " 57% Empire to 42% Republic" statistic kinda weird. For instance, the great majority of guilds in the Summit where Empire. So, it kinda indicates, for me, that the GREAT (as in more then 15% difference) majority of 'active' players are on the Imperial side.

Edited by EdAraujo

I agree in terms with what he posted.

The animation differences gives the empire side some advantages that summed makes a good difference. For instance, Awe is a group cc counterpart of the mentioned one. But Awe doesn't throw you to the ground, so you can come back faster. Other thing I'm testing, and so far I have confirmed, is that it is more ease to come out of Awe stun (need less damage).

The Death from Above issues is true (compared many times with my trooper against mercs). The sage one I haven't tested (but I will).

The Alderaan issue may look little, but actually it is not. As many battles in middle tends to drive the battle to an even score, I have seen many many situations where the republic looses for less then 30 points of damage. This means that, in those 2-3 months, the Imperial side have gained more valor and commendations, that summing up gives a tangible advantage.

But the biggest advantage on my perspective that the Empire has over the Republic, is the Jawa companion. Dang... I wish Republic had a companion as awesome as Blizz.

Changing subject a little, I found that " 57% Empire to 42% Republic" statistic kinda weird. For instance, the great majority of guilds in the Summit where Empire. So, it kinda indicates, for me, that the GREAT (as in more then 15% difference) majority of 'active' players are on the Imperial side.

1. Are you really arguing the animations difference is making the Empire side that much

better? You are talking miniscule..... I would agree if somehow your spell animation

took 2-3 secs longer that might actually effect something, more then the skill of the

play himself.

2. Both CCs break on dmg, there is not set damage that needs to happen, so unless I am mis-understanding or a DEV tells me different, they both break on dmg and I have tested on both 50s in WZs. Your complaint about the Sith one knocking to the ground does not always knock them to the ground, but I will someone agree on the animation part taking longer to stand up therefore causing a "negative" effect on stopping a cap, etc.

3. Death from above, explain to me why this is an issue? Are you telling me you want ever counterpart class on each side to be the same?

4. Both Sorc and Sage have KBs that root.

5.Alderran is being fixed. However, in your argument if your server is having that many close games in WZs that 5-10 dmg of points actually matter then you have one of the "best" equal servers out there #'s wise and should be happy as I have played 100s of Civil wars and only ever had 1 game decided less then 30 points. This is also being fixed in 1.1.5 and will not change anything for the original poster and his views on Empire PvP.

6. The DEVs and the Panel stated that Empire like to PvP more then Republic. They have no answer for that. On my server is the complete opposite(I am sure we are in the vast minority).

I think, and this is an assumption on my part, that the game is a bit late when it comes to PvP. Especially when GW2 is due out. I've personally never played it but I have played retail DaOC through Catacombs. Mythic destroyed a good thing when they tried to introduce PvE content to a PvP based game. Trials of Atlantis anyone?

Shrouded Isles added PVE content but it didn't break the game due to PvE content, master levels, and game breaking abilities tied to said levels. Most who played the game, again, assumption on my part, didn't like the new frontier or rulesets and actually prefered the original main gain concept.

War hammer failed. I can't say way exactly but RvR in that game didn't feel epic let alone flow well. Swtor isn't any better. It isn't due to having only 2 factions either. It is part population, part (minor) balance between a few classes, and client side performance. Just my opinion.

Adding in valor for world pvp kills is a start in the right direction. Adding a portal for weekly stats is another. Both would yield much golden bombs of light and love. To kick it up a knotch doing something original such as dynamic maps regardless of planet(s) would make this game something noone else has done.

Rated isn't it. Nor is arena's. People want to be able to do the ranks at their own pace. Login, smash a face or two, talk some trash, and log off and go to bed.

3. Death from above, explain to me why this is an issue? Are you telling me you want ever counterpart class on each side to be the same?

Trooper's Mortar Volley has a longer delay upon the start of cast than DFA. If you are in PvP, the ability can easily be interrupted before a single shot is even fired. The ability has also been known to fire after the 3 second cast time is up, or not fire at all but still charging the Ammo consumption.

I would agree if somehow your spell animation

took 2-3 secs longer that might actually effect something....

That is exactly what happens. Mortar takes like a full 2-3 seconds to start doing damage, like your cast bar is almost completely done before you do any damage.

I have looked at the Live Stream site from yesterday and have not found it yet but is there somewhere that contains links to the recordings from each of the live sessions?

I have been taking notes and posting some on my guild forum and would like to go back and listen to a few that I missed so I can accurately talk about the topics and the Q and A that was done.

Thanks!

Can we please get a list of the animations that are being replaced/re-worked?

Consular is the most disappointing class in the game for me, and it was the one I wanted to play most from a star wars fan perspective. Somebody decided that jedi = junk throwers. The signature, basic moves for consulars involve pathetic animations that cheat the environment and make them feel more like shamans than jedi. From chunk a clunker, to pebblestorm, to kinetic ward, consular types are surrounded by ROCKS and PEBBLES. MAgically conjured rocks and pebbles. Why? Other classes get blasters, lightning, missiles, flame throwers, autocannons....and consulars get rocks...and junk. WOW, exciting....but different. And then the animation delays damage and creates a mirror imbalance that should never have gone live.

And they are not even core jedi moves...Sith throw junk repeatedly about 20x more than jedi do in the ultimate canon of the movies. In fact, Sith throw junk more than they use choke or lightning.

I have basically shelved my republic toons for now, and my take more drastic measures if I don't see improvements coming. To me, it is absolutely NO surprise that there is a major faction imbalance. And for the star wars IP, that kind of Sith over Jedi faction imbalance should really be a wake up call for BW. For Zoeller to basically state that the imbalance isnt so bad, is really ignorant of the nature of the IP. SWG, although a vastly different game, but still one with the same two factions, never experienced the kind of global faction imbalance we see here. Why? Again, the republics stories, animations, design and "feel" are all lackluster. Its like BW cant handle making a heroic story for the good guys. In fact, I would bet real money that if this game wasnt based on the IP, and if the factions just had to stand on their presentation as is, that the imbalance would be MUCH MUCH greater.

Yes, the Sith story lines are VASTLY better, the animations are better, and the whole faction received more inspired development than the reps. And I usually prefer playing the good guys. But things are so skewed in this game, that is just unpalatable.

Edited by Dyvim

]So not one thing mentioned reguarding the resolve system..[/color]

And sounds like cybertechs are still getting the shaft. as the best gear obtainable is via ranked warzones.. cybertechs do not make orange mods or armorings so they getting screwed.

^^ This..

Nothing about it..

Gabe seemed vague when he talked about the pvp system.. He ignored any discussion of class balancing.. or warzone imbalance. Compare him to the RP/Legacy guy, who talked at length about what his team is doing.

The idea of making warzones same faction was his only fix for the faction imbalance? Pitiful.

The Sorc subclass is played more than ALL the smuggler class. It's also played more than ALL the agent classes. that says something. I wish they would have showed how many people switched to sorc after playing another class first. I'd bet it was very high.

Solo ranked que will favor certain classes again.

I'm a total Starwars fan boy, but I LOVE pvp too..

I'm really hoping that 1.2 will have some ninja nerfs in it to help. If not I think I'm done. I refuse to reroll because they refuse to balance classes.

If you look at all the other MMO's out there not many of them cater to the PvP subscriber base. DaOC and Shadowbane are probably the last two. Now WoW and this all rage on battlegrounds or some other form of confined space PvP that they can never balance.

What I took away from the guild summit is that they really don't have a answer. If they do, they did a poor job of spreading the word. Many things I think a lot of us ignore but there are some things that we really can't that impact the overall enjoyment of the game.

Population balance being one of them. If there are "Mythic" employees then they would know this since we've seen it before. Class balance issues soon turned the tide for everyone to roll Hib or Alb...poor midgard got left in the dust after the first round of Pac Healer nerfs....

Ok so me and my friend are debating about the whole new tier of pvp gear discussion, the way i see it is. They are removing valor restrictions period, and are making a whole new war hero set that you get with normal commendations like battlemaster, champion, centurion. Then you have your ranked warzone War hero gear, a War hero (elite) so to speak, but the higher your valor is on that one depicts the color of your gear, and war hero elite will have better stats than warzone war hero. He see's it as just there being a non-ranked war hero and then a ranked war hero that changes colors depending on your valor, but no stat difference just skin.

While the developers may not like auto facing in PvP. The problem of the running in circles issues as a tactic to make lag a combat tactic is just poor game design.

I understand that combat rotation is what you do not want to totally be the skill component of PvP. The problem is that other aspects that are very dependent on ISP latency and computer hardware are just not fair. For Server Lag I assume that it will harm all equally.

See, I found the response by the Dev on this to be bordering on insulting. The idea that circle strafing is skill is incorrect. The Dev basically said he'd rather have it not be about rotation and have it more be about if you can turn your character's facing with the mouse while pressing the q and e keys.

Personally I'd rather have there be something that discourages randomly running in circles while keeping movement important. The current system is rather silly and doesn't, in the least, mimic anything that would resemble real combat tactics.

I'd rather see things like: "You take extra damage if hit in the back, you take extra damage if you are moving" than "there is no reason to ever not move" as it is set now.

As long as you have positional requirements for abilities of melee fighters, you are going to have people running in circles.

I'm sure others do it for different purposes, but as my operative, I will continue to run in circles so that I can have the opportunity to back-stab.

circle strafing is not a way to increase "lag" during combat for the other player it is **** of the way of your gun or saber. every time i get behind you you cant hit me, that doesnt mean im trying to lag you out, it means you cant hit or swing at me without turning yourself. honestly what it seems like is tht the people who want autoface want combat to be very boring.

bad guy: hey im gonna stand here and swing my sword at you

good guy: ok im going to stand here and try and stop you staying well within your range and right in front of you, knowing full well that if i get out of your range or side step while you are swinging, you wont be able to hit me, im going to stand here anyways and hope that i can hurt you before you hurt me

Bad guy: thats swell ill do the same so as not to get any unfair advantage over you

this is war!! not a series of formal duels!!!

i can see it now the british army comes rolling over the hills in neatly packed lines of soliders with officers wearing very large hats, the revolutionaries in early america with guerilla warfare getting letters like hey guys i want you to change your tactics so i dont have to change my strategy , i mena cmon guys war is hard enough as it is can you please go back to not hiding in the bushes and killing our officers first? it was far more fair when we just faced each other and killed each other civilized like. it even looks better in paintings!!