HORRIBLE AA implamentation.

GuillimanT

I stand corrected on the Low. The only true options were Low and Medium. high was just there, the same way a lot are claiming that AA is just there.

You can gain graphical improvements in many other ways besides adding AA.

Personally I setup my Vcards for each game individually in the control panel.

If you are a power user, you should be overriding the settings in the control panel anyway. It will 'do' until bioware wise up and add the settings we need.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please keep in mind that this game is still very new for an MMO, and it is quite a large one in terms of programming and art/design content.

But MMOs aren't new. Would you hire an architect whose last building fell down because he didn't pay attention to any of the precedents set in the long history of construction?

"Maybe I should've used some mortar with those bricks...and that wood frame, maybe it should've been nailed together"

But sir, you don't know what you are talking about:rolleyes:

( refering to the jackwagon troll that insists on telling me I don;t know what I;m talking about.)

You and I aren't the only ones saying " high " looks like garbage.

^This from many others, i'll confirm when i get home. I just hope in the end they stay on w/e problems come up.

If AA isn't working for you in-game:

Turn off AA in game. Close the game.

Open up the Nvidia Control Manager / Ati Control Manager (or Catalyst, whatever they call it)

Go to game settings / 3D settings / whatever

Find The Old Republic, or if it isn't in the list, browse to the game .exe and select that

Go to AA and select the setting your video card can handle.

Choose "Override Game Setting"

Hit apply.

Launch the game.

You now have AA applied.

Also:

The idea that somehow AA is broken or implemented poorly is a joke. AA is handled by the graphics card, using graphics card drivers and libraries, and using DirectX libraries. They merely say "perform AA" and thats it, the rest is done by your hardware.

If you really think that somehow bioware messed up AA, then do it with the control manager instead of the game. That should be a flawless implementation of AA as performed by Nvidia/Ati and is in your graphics drivers.

If it runs slow, then its because your computer can't handle the increased overhead of AA.

This is not because its somehow "bad AA", but you just can't handle the increased overhead.

But you say "hey, my computer can handle skyim with AA!" guess what? Computer games are WAAAAY more complicated than that! You can't compare apples to oranges like that.

My computer runs Crysis 2 on max settings with 8x AA better than it runs Minecraft with 0x AA. Okay? Computer software is complicated, people. I don't have time to explain all of the "why", but trust me it makes complete sense.

Actually, game engines have optimized AA modes. Which is why its best to use the games own AA before forcing it or using your graphic control panel to enhance the setting. Forcing AA does work but can introduce bugs and side effects like blurry parts of a rendered scene, this is especially seen in fonts. No joke about it, the game should of launched with optimized AA(that is what the industry calls it when they optimize a games AA).

Now if you would like I could explain to you how a number of game engines get their optimized AA and what goes into the optimization process. The process itself doesn't vary all that much from engine to engine. But these things can be googled.

I don't disagree it looks disappointing, I'm saying that if you go and actually compare it to 2x, 4x and 8x you might be disappointed by how 'clever' you actually are.

You are playing semantics, and STILL nitpicking, completly obsessed with my choice of words. It's pathetic:rolleyes:

Fact is , for me, low and high have next to no difference. And high is a joke.

I would expect low to be 2x AA, and high to be 4x AA.

This is not the case.

Lemme guess, I said something here worthy of nitpicking and playing semantics with yes?

Edited by Your_dominus

Despite what the tool-tip says, AA is enabled. I have had AA enabled through the client_settings.ini for quite some time. Making changes to AA in game does modify the client_settings.ini. It looks like Low is equivalent to 2x and High is equivalent to 8x. I don't experience any change in framerate and still getting 80 in fleet with everything else on high. But then again I was also still getting that when I had AA enabled in client_settings.ini since day 1. So really this patch in terms of AA hasn't added anything new.

If you are experiencing issues, it can be how your video driver is handling it. Some ATI needed beta drivers while Nvidia seems to want release drivers. Also if people 'overrided' their current game in the Catalyst manager of Nvidia manager with NInspector, they will need to disable those options and put it back to default letting the game handle it instead. I had to do that to my wifes computer to put everything back for her, otherwise she did have a drop in FPS (she has a ATI video card). Since I did everything in the .ini I didn't have to make any changes, so the game handled it fine.

BIOS: Ver: 04.06.04

Processor: i7-2600 @3.40

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Video Driver Version: 285.62

I play 2-4 hours every day, some times with friends, often with my wife. We're having a blast. Not a single time has the lack or presense of antialiasing bothered me, other than occasionally noting it's nice to have. Nobody in my group has ever mentioned AA. AA has never come up ever in guild chat that I have seen (350 members). So your statement that one cannot play the game without it is just plain false.

Did you stop plaing the game because of this? Really?

You took my quote out of context to make your point. What I said at the end of that quote that you misleading cut and paste, is sure you can if you want blurry eyes after long play times.

Seems like everybody who's having problems has an ATI card... Looks like Milaways knows a bit about what he's talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was ATI's drivers or something. Those cards are always having issues with games. I'm curious to test this out on my Nvidia when I go home for lunch. *crosses fingers*

No just people with ATI cards are acting stupid... I have a 6950 and if AA is being forced or enchanced it will override and display better than what is offered by the game. Heck I can force 64x tessellation and 24xeq edge detect with super sampling with Morphological Anti-Aliasing, the game looks damn purrty but i go from 199fps to 2... The in game option has nothing to do with any of that be it on or off.

You are playing semantics, and STILL nitpicking, completly obsessed with my choice of words. It's pathetic:rolleyes:

This is not the case.

Lemme guess, I said something here worthy of nitpicking and playing semantics with yes?

Asking you to check your facts is nitpicking?

I'm telling you to force 1x, 2x and 4x in your video card. Then compare those results to 'low' and 'high'.

But that would be too much effort when you can just spout your babble without checking right?

Edited by Heliotic

Seems like everybody who's having problems has an ATI card... Looks like Milaways knows a bit about what he's talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was ATI's drivers or something. Those cards are always having issues with games. I'm curious to test this out on my Nvidia when I go home for lunch. *crosses fingers*

That's another cop out to inisist it's not Bioware fault. Just to let you know i have a Nvidia card and am having the same issues.

This is not the case.

Uhm, there's barely any difference between 2x and 4x. If anything, Low would be 2-4x, and High would be 8x+.

Edited by Hanni

Have fun insisting AA isn't a common, and standard image quality setting amongst gamers.

Please show me where I have said it is not common.

It is common. It is not basic, fundamental, or required. If you feel you cannot play or enjoy the game because you cannot get AA to work, or if your eyes hurt terribly, or you get angry, insulting, and rude when discussing the topic, then I think there are other, more personal issues involved.

80% drop in fps.

running a Q9550 at 3.6ghz; GTX 285, 8gig of 4-4-4-12 800 memory and rest isn't important setup.

Fix it. Thanks. I'm not going to pay for a game that has no basic game features. Especially one that looks like it should run on 5y old machines.

intresting I got a maybe 15 -20% increase in FPS.

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers

Are graphics really that important?

No, I've spend 2000 euro on my rig because I love playing farmville and retro games.

If I didn't care about looks I would have gone for a console.

Not asking Bioware to compete with new FPS games and what not.

But high res textures and just adding proper AA features should be in a game like this.

I agree, I put in a bug report to tell them to do this.

It's ridiculous that we have to 'fix' things ourselves, but it's better than it not being playable at all.

What it sounds like to me is this:

If people didn't get impatient and start changing things manually they wouldn't be having problems right now. I knew they were going to change this 2 weeks ago so I didn't mess with my .ini. In fact, I uninstalled the game/reinstalled in anticipation of these changes. I wanted to start fresh.

You don't HAVE to do anything. If you had just left it alone all would be fine right now.

80% drop in fps.

running a Q9550 at 3.6ghz; GTX 285, 8gig of 4-4-4-12 800 memory and rest isn't important setup.

Fix it. Thanks. I'm not going to pay for a game that has no basic game features. Especially one that looks like it should run on 5y old machines.

Your memory is a bit outdated, DDR2 really needs to be upgraded.

Also your cpu isnt really the latest quad core there is.

Also your videocard uses GDDR3 memory and not like the current ones do GDDR5.

So you might want to turn off AA untill you upgraded your PC.

What I said at the end of that quote that you misleading cut and paste, is sure you can if you want blurry eyes after long play times.

Then let me make it even more clear: I have never had a problem with blurry or hurt eyes, nor have I heard of anyone having it, even after I've played considerably longer sessions than 2-4 hours. This is the first time I've even heard it mentioned.

Have you talked to your doctor about this?

Okay, so I am not sure if the massive performance problems that occur since the patch 1.1 are a result of the AA implementation, but I can only say that I am FORCED to quit the game now as I am not even able to play SW:TOR with low-settings and AA off anymore. I am currently getting 10 fps no matter where I am and it is the first time even turning down my resolution did not do the job.

Before the patch I was actually able to play everything on max settings except for shadows.

As it is the first time in almost 12 years that I have to quit a game just because, as a matter of fact, I cannot play it, I feel rather disappointed in Bioware/ EA.

Now, my questions basically are: Are these just aftereffects of patch-day? Is it supposed to get better? Are they already working on it?

(If someone asks: yes, I already forced my AA off in the nvidia panel).

What it sounds like to me is this:

If people didn't get impatient and start changing things manually they wouldn't be having problems right now. I knew they were going to change this 2 weeks ago so I didn't mess with my .ini. In fact, I uninstalled the game/reinstalled in anticipation of these changes. I wanted to start fresh.

You don't HAVE to do anything. If you had just left it alone all would be fine right now.

No that's not it, there was a bug in the very first release that would incorrectly detect settings. They fixed that bug, but they didn't fix the incorrect settings.

Look at your .ini and how the settings affect it.

Off AA=0

Low AA=0

High AA=1

The people saying the high AA setting looks like garbage aren't crazy. Must be another bug.

My point exactly and thnks for doing that. Know all the naysayers please stop posting here. Let us be constructive to the point that we get a response or a fix.