HORRIBLE AA implamentation.

GuillimanT

No. Different games, different genres.

Works differently, makes use of your hardware differently.

Compare it to another recent MMO, not Crysis or Battlefield 3 which are FPS games.

That's the point, if other games can do it more efficiently and better, shouldn't Bioware strive to do the same? Shouldn't they make it work for people who have good machines.

*To your MMO comment (indirect), this game should, by what it shows in terms of total texture size, polygons and lighting, work a lot smoother then it does. It just shows very bad optimizations or very bad design.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AA off sit at 50-60% CPU usage, force AA on go down to 30% CPU usage. the ****!?

Bioware how about you optimize this single-threaded *** dumpster called an engine be for failing to release AA, the fact that I still have to force it through CCC is a joke games in 2002 have better graphics options then this joke of a game.

AA puts a strain on your GPU. That your CPU goes down on usage means your PC can't handle High AA properly, there's a pretty big bottleneck there.

Turn it off, and stop complaining. Or get a better PC. A high-end GPU and a fast CPU to go along with it.

Really? so us wanting the graphics options that were in the beta is wrong? its not our fault bioware cant figure things out we want graphics options that were in games for like 5+years now you would think that wouldn't be hard to put in.

also AA was in the beta along with a ton of other graphics options they removed because they couldn't do it right. but thats okay we should just accept a half assed product for full price.

Haha.

Where on the box did it guarentee you the graphics options that you want? Also, point to me any place which points to having AA and other sort of graphics options as basic functions? If it is not that hard to put in, then why don't you pull up C++ and write up a couple thousand lines of code and send it to BioWare so that we can all have it?

Did you even play beta? Yeah they had AA and other things in beta, but it put too much of a strain on computers. Even my computer, which is fairly new (just over a year), would run very hot with the game just after 2ish hours of gameplay.

Did you ever stop to think that Developers DO NOT create games that can be ran on top-end rigs? They create games that can be ran on the average joe potatoe. They took all of those things out because for one thing they weren't working properly, and for another reason they wanted to make it easier on other rigs.

Why are you ************? The game still looks great. I don't even notice the change between Beta and now. Running this game on maxed settings looks better than WoW maxed out, anyway.

But if you really think that not having AA makes this a half-assed product, then please don't let the door hit you on the way out. I can guarentee that nobody will miss you.

AA off sit at 50-60% CPU usage, force AA on go down to 30% CPU usage. the ****!?

Bioware how about you optimize this single-threaded *** dumpster called an engine be for failing to release AA, the fact that I still have to force it through CCC is a joke games in 2002 have better graphics options then this joke of a game.

Shut down the game.

Delete the settings folder

Load up the control panel for your video card.

Clear your custom settings.

Reload and set everything to high.

Get a decent frame rate with anti-aliasing enabled.

Stop posting.

Crysis is not a MMO.

MMO does not automatically mean more performance needed. MMO features are ALL network stuff. In terms of graphics performance it doesn't matter what game it is, except when you are talking of nr of players (polys) and still crysis uses a lot larger art data then swtor)

That's the point, if other games can do it more efficiently and better, shouldn't Bioware strive to do the same? Shouldn't they make it work for people who have good machines.

*To your MMO comment (indirect), this game should, by what it shows in terms of total texture size, polygons and lighting, work a lot smoother then it does. It just shows very bad optimizations or very bad design.

No. Other genres use hardware differently. You can't compare performance across genres.

In terms of texture size, polygons (facepalm), and lighting (***?), it works smooth enough.

MMO does not automatically mean more performance needed. MMO features are ALL network stuff. In terms of graphics performance it doesn't matter what game it is, except when you are talking of nr of players (polys) and still crysis uses a lot larger art data then swtor)

Yes, it does. MMOs make a lot more use of CPU and RAM than any other genre (except RTS). If you then add a high setting of AA or anything graphics related, it puts a huge stress on your hardware.

Number of players is not "polygons". Polygons are all over the place. And Art Data, Facepalm.

Edited by Hanni

How much AA is high?

Usually I can see the numbers, but I have no idea what Bioware means with high and low.

Just asking since there was a misunderstanding with low/medium and high res textures as well.

I play games at 1920*1080 and usually i need 4x AA to get rid of most jaggies with almost no FPS impact (GTX 560). The high setting in SWTOR is not even close to 4x quality which anyway is not "high" considering you can still do 8X, 16X+ etc if you have more VRAM and/or SLI/crossfire setups...

so for the moment we have none, more of that aka none again, and low trying to be "high", xD.

Edited by BanzaiChigau

mouse over it. It says it's not implemented yet!!!

Well that's funny since it some how manages to bug out my animations when I put it on.

Leave it to Bioware for non working things to mess the rest up.

I am forcing AA through nvidia inspector and running it with 32xCSAA and 4 super sampling.

But heh if I put their AA on it bugs out my game.

I did asked earlier but let me be a bit more blunt.

It's dumb to put low/high option on AA, you need to give people numbers.

You people are dense. The reason they removed the AA was because it put unnecessary strain on peoples machines.

You got your wish now, you don't have the right to whine.

You seem pretty dense yourself. Cranking all the settings up to max can put unnecessary strain on lower-end machines, too, but there's still the option to keep them maxed and deal with lower framerates anyway.

The number one issue I have with the AA implemented in this patch is that I previously had my AA forced to 2x, yet on the "Low" setting in-game it seems to look worse than what I had before, like it's only 1x or something. Unfortunately the "High" setting is too much for my gpu to handle smoothly. The 1x looks pretty gross so I'm just gonna have to go back to forcing the AA to 2x again. Not a big deal, but there only being two options is a bit disappointing.

How heavy is the AA on the "High" setting anyway? 8x, 16x? Why isn't that detailed? Most people know how much AA their setup can handle based on the numeric value, not on a relative low-medium-high scale.

How the options look:

Off

Low

High

How the options SHOULD look:

Off

1x

2x

4x

8x

16x

Edited by Kambris

You people are dense. The reason they removed the AA was because it put unnecessary strain on peoples machines.

You got your wish now, you don't have the right to whine.

Incredibly horrible argument.

AA, when utilized properly, should not strain the machine that horrible. There is something called LOD and levels of Anistrophic filtering...properly utilized AA should only effect your immediate character and a few feet around you.

Don't call people dense when you make baseless claims and defend Bioware blindly.

The real reason why it was not implemented, and should still not be, is because it is simply not ready. But they want to save face and undue stress on their consumers, so they never put it in. It's as simple as that.

Edited by lowflyingmeat

Please keep in mind that this game is still very new for an MMO

See, we had your kind in beta telling us for a year before release that Bioware would fix or add in basic features. Then it was 6 months before release and still your kind said they have plenty of time to add in these features. Then 3 months rolled around and still your kind said have faith. A month before release and all our posts begging for things to be fixed or added in like AA would be flooded by your kind telling us to stop making an issue out of it.

Now the game has been released, how long do we need to wait before we can post a critical thread without your kind showing up and telling us to give Bioware a break?

Nope the AA setting does nothing for me.

I forced FXAA back on in Nvidia inspector to x8 and now things are nice and smooth again.

Then you have some problems on your end. When I switch between high and low the difference is huge. Though there's no difference between low and off so I'm not sure why there's a low setting at all.

You seem pretty dense yourself. Cranking all the settings up to max can put unnecessary strain on lower-end machines, too, but there's still the option to keep them maxed and deal with lower framerates anyway.

The number one issue I have with the AA implemented in this patch is that I previously had my AA forced to 2x, yet on the "Low" setting in-game it seems to look worse than what I had before, like it's only 1x or something. Unfortunately the "High" setting is too much for my gpu to handle smoothly. The 1x looks pretty gross so I'm just gonna have to go back to forcing the AA to 2x again. Not a big deal, but there only being two options is a bit disappointing.

How heavy is the AA on the "High" setting anyway? 8x, 16x? Why isn't that detailed? Most people know how much AA their setup can handle based on the numeric value, not on a relative low-medium-high scale.

How the options look:

Off

Low

High

How the options SHOULD look:

Off

1x

2x

4x

8x

16x

High is set to AntiAliasingLevel = 1 in my Client_settings

No. Other genres use hardware differently. You can't compare performance across genres.

Come again? We have different computers for FPS and MMO genre games these days? That sure is news to me. Newsflash: everything runs on the same API, everything uses the same hardware.

In terms of texture size, polygons (facepalm), and lighting (***?), it works smooth enough.

Yes, it does. MMOs make a lot more use of CPU and RAM than any other genre (except RTS). If you then add a high setting of AA or anything graphics related, it puts a huge stress on your hardware.

There's no reason to not mitigate a lot of that to the GPU and do it efficiently. The point still stands, for that the game shows, it uses far too many resources. I don't care if other mmo's are worse or the same (EVE and WoW run far better on my machine, inc full AA) I cant max out swtor at all. That indicates a problem on their end, not my machine being crap.

These are my settings with the AA set to high within the game:

[Renderer]

D3DFullScreen = true

Height = 768

NativeHeight = 768

NativeWidth = 1360

TextureAnisotropy = 16

Width = 1360

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

MeshLODQuality = 1

doShadows = true