HORRIBLE AA implamentation.

GuillimanT

yes it is, but not at level the setting suggest's, what does High mean to you?

High > Low > Off.

That's all it means to me.

I agree that they should replace it with the actual numbers so that people can choose their poison.

It's just ridiculous that people are claiming it's not implemented without even looking.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha.

Where on the box did it guarentee you the graphics options that you want? Also, point to me any place which points to having AA and other sort of graphics options as basic functions? If it is not that hard to put in, then why don't you pull up C++ and write up a couple thousand lines of code and send it to BioWare so that we can all have it?

Did you even play beta? Yeah they had AA and other things in beta, but it put too much of a strain on computers. Even my computer, which is fairly new (just over a year), would run very hot with the game just after 2ish hours of gameplay.

Did you ever stop to think that Developers DO NOT create games that can be ran on top-end rigs? They create games that can be ran on the average joe potatoe. They took all of those things out because for one thing they weren't working properly, and for another reason they wanted to make it easier on other rigs.

Why are you ************? The game still looks great. I don't even notice the change between Beta and now. Running this game on maxed settings looks better than WoW maxed out, anyway.

But if you really think that not having AA makes this a half-assed product, then please don't let the door hit you on the way out. I can guarentee that nobody will miss you.

lol, what a clueless biodrone.

Edited by Hellmet

You seem pretty dense yourself. Cranking all the settings up to max can put unnecessary strain on lower-end machines, too, but there's still the option to keep them maxed and deal with lower framerates anyway.

The number one issue I have with the AA implemented in this patch is that I previously had my AA forced to 2x, yet on the "Low" setting in-game it seems to look worse than what I had before, like it's only 1x or something. Unfortunately the "High" setting is too much for my gpu to handle smoothly. The 1x looks pretty gross so I'm just gonna have to go back to forcing the AA to 2x again. Not a big deal, but there only being two options is a bit disappointing.

How heavy is the AA on the "High" setting anyway? 8x, 16x? Why isn't that detailed? Most people know how much AA their setup can handle based on the numeric value, not on a relative low-medium-high scale.

How the options look:

Off

Low

High

How the options SHOULD look:

Off

1x

2x

4x

8x

16x

Well the 'texture' fix did a lot more for me than the AA.

I noticed the super sampling eating my FPS so I can't crank it up too much.

I don't notice a huge difference between 16 and 32 sadly.

My FPS drops a bit but I am running the game on a high end rig so outside the space station it's 60, on 40 or so.

Its amazing how many people have no idea how to get a game to work, & FYI the reason graphics aren't top notch is because you need to dumb them down for people that don't understand how to get their computer to run optimally. My computer is 4 years old and runs this game seamlessly on high settings.

How do we know that's true when they said the high, medium and low textures were all the same, no matter what you selected?

High, Medium and Low didn't look the same. High and Medium looked the same.

As for anti-aliasing, do you actually have eyes? Look for yourself.

80% drop in fps.

running a Q9550 at 3.6ghz; GTX 285, 8gig of 4-4-4-12 800 memory and rest isn't important setup.

Fix it. Thanks. I'm not going to pay for a game that has no basic game features. Especially one that looks like it should run on 5y old machines.

200 series has NEVER handled AA well at all. it didn't in 2008 or 2009 or 2010 or 2011.

High, Medium and Low didn't look the same. High and Medium looked the same.

As for anti-aliasing, do you actually have eyes? Look for yourself.

Yes I have eyes. " high" looks like jaggy crap.. It certainly is not even 2x AA, let alone 4x ( which is the true standard for " high")

There's no reason to not mitigate a lot of that to the GPU and do it efficiently. The point still stands, for that the game shows, it uses far too many resources. I don't care if other mmo's are worse or the same (EVE and WoW run far better on my machine, inc full AA) I cant max out swtor at all. That indicates a problem on their end, not my machine being crap.

Eve and Wow are old games that are not as demanding as SWTOR.

You can't max out swtor because you don't have the PC for it or there's something wrong on your end.

Accept reality.

Come again? We have different computers for FPS and MMO genre games these days? That sure is news to me. Newsflash: everything runs on the same API, everything uses the same hardware.

Facepalm. Reading comprehension.

Edited by Hanni

Looks like the original removal of AA was to hide how horrible this engine is. "Low" AA does nothing at all, at least on my setup, while "High" brings the game to a crawl. Where's the x2? Or x4? Those wouldn't crawl on my system, and would still look good.

I'm really getting fed up with this team.

Yes I have eyes. " high" looks like jaggy crap.. It certainly is not even 2x AA, let alone 4x ( which is the true standard for " high")

It has to be at least 2 x AA, because there is a setting between 'high' and 'off'.

There's no such thing as 1.5 x AA.

the option works, my fps is still round 80-120 FPS so thats good.

But on Hoth, the snow shows glitchy when u look in the distance. its defo the AA option, cause when i turn it off, it looks normal.

Also my GPU card gets an increase of 8° in temperature by solely the AA function. Thats quite too much.

I hope they hotfix this somewhere in the future. as for the moment i turned AA off again.

I forced via nvidia panel AA on to sli 16X, supersampling on etc... and i dont see glitches anymore in the snow, nor does my gpu card increases in heat.

so AA works in order now for me. It can still be better, but i see definitely a big difference.

It has to be at least 2 x AA, because there is a setting between 'high' and 'off'.

There's no such thing as 1.5 x AA.

I'm aware of that.

But High doesn't even look like 2x.

Well, w/e. back to forcing it in CCC for me.

What a joke Bioware.

Edited by Your_dominus

Looks like the original removal of AA was to hide how horrible this engine is. "Low" AA does nothing at all, at least on my setup, while "High" brings the game to a crawl. Where's the x2? Or x4? Those wouldn't crawl on my system, and would still look good.

I'm really getting fed up with this team.

Delete your SWTOR settings folder.

Remove any custom entries in your video card options that you've added.

Restart the game.

Get non-****** framerates.

A friend of mine gained 20 FPS (without any loss of quality) just by removing the old incorrect settings that TOR incorrectly setup the first time he ran it.

Edited by Heliotic

Then you have some problems on your end. When I switch between high and low the difference is huge. Though there's no difference between low and off so I'm not sure why there's a low setting at all.

We all know there is a difference between high and low. And that there is no difference between low and off. What we don't know is why the setting for AA is high, because when i force it to a high setting where AA = 8 or 16. I can see the difference from the forced AA to the AA high setting within the game. Is this the same answer that was giving for character textures, where even if you have a 6,000 dollar computer we are not giving you the setting to set AA to it's highest setting possible. Which is confusing because the in game setting is High, I don't what high means to you but if it isn't giving me AA = 8, then something is wrong and very misleading.

I forced via nvidia panel AA on to sli 16X, supersampling on etc... and i dont see glitches anymore in the snow, nor does my gpu card increases in heat.

so AA works in order now for me. It can still be better, but i see definitely a big difference.

This is good news, if the glitches are fixed I'll definitely be forcing it to max in my control panel. :D

AA is not a basic element of any game. It's a nice-to-have feature that improves visuals.

You can't play this game without it, the trees, character outlines, enviroment all have jaggy edges and in some cases an apparent white outline. If you want to hurt your eyes then sure you could play this game without it. Really hurt my eyes? Really!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by LexonLightsaber

I notice absolutely no difference. What in the hell is going on at Bioware right now? I'm losing my faith quickly... This is coming from a die hard Bioware and Star Wars fan.

How do you patch something into the game and not even have it working?

I lost my faith at NWN & NWN:SoU. It was partially restored with NWN:HotU and DA:0. But those were intermixed with Jade Empire, ME1 and DAII and that was that...

Ok, turn off AA and go force it through your video card. Force 1x, 2x, low and high and then we'll come back and talk about how little you know about anti-aliasing :p

LOL whaaaaat?

Look, try and keep up ok? I'm saying "high" in game DOES NOTEVEN LOOK LIKE 2X AA.

I'm not suggesting theres such a thing as 1.5x AA, so stop trying to appear clever.

high = a joke.

I have had every iteration of video card from both green and red team for the last 10 years straight, and build my own for use, and profit. I don't need to be schooled on AA. You however need to be schooled on reading comp.

Edited by Your_dominus