HORRIBLE AA implamentation.

GuillimanT

Look at your .ini and how the settings affect it.

Off AA=0

Low AA=0

High AA=1

The people saying the high AA setting looks like garbage aren't crazy. Must be another bug.

Starting pool for time until Ohlen post saying "Low" is a UI error and was never intended to be an option, and announcing the fix for AA is removing the Low option.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, game engines have optimized AA modes. Which is why its best to use the games own AA before forcing it or using your graphic control panel to enhance the setting. Forcing AA does work but can introduce bugs and side effects like blurry parts of a rendered scene, this is especially seen in fonts. No joke about it, the game should of launched with optimized AA(that is what the industry calls it when they optimize a games AA).

Now if you would like I could explain to you how a number of game engines get their optimized AA and what goes into the optimization process. The process itself doesn't vary all that much from engine to engine. But these things can be googled.

Agreed, I'm just saying if somehow the AA in the game is WORSE as people are claiming, they can override it.

Although, even some of what you talked about can be controlled / configured in the control manager, under things like AA Transparency, can't remember exactly what the manager calls it.

Despite what the tool-tip says, AA is enabled. I have had AA enabled through the client_settings.ini for quite some time. Making changes to AA in game does modify the client_settings.ini. It looks like Low is equivalent to 2x and High is equivalent to 8x. I don't experience any change in framerate and still getting 80 in fleet with everything else on high. But then again I was also still getting that when I had AA enabled in client_settings.ini since day 1. So really this patch in terms of AA hasn't added anything new.

If you are experiencing issues, it can be how your video driver is handling it. Some ATI needed beta drivers while Nvidia seems to want release drivers. Also if people 'overrided' their current game in the Catalyst manager of Nvidia manager with NInspector, they will need to disable those options and put it back to default letting the game handle it instead. I had to do that to my wifes computer to put everything back for her, otherwise she did have a drop in FPS (she has a ATI video card). Since I did everything in the .ini I didn't have to make any changes, so the game handled it fine.

Quoted For Truth.

did you make any adjustments to the file to see if you could force it higher?

That's not the point. Bioware said they had a fix for this. Obviously they did not, leaving the consumer to fix it or in some cases have consumer think everything is fine and dandy because AA says High in the game. The same way they are misleading with keeping the settings in the game for character textures as high. People that don;t read the forums or other sites will be none the wiser and just might be the intent of Bioware.

Okay, so I am not sure if the massive performance problems that occur since the patch 1.1 are a result of the AA implementation, but I can only say that I am FORCED to quit the game now as I am not even able to play SW:TOR with low-settings and AA off anymore. I am currently getting 10 fps no matter where I am and it is the first time even turning down my resolution did not do the job.

Before the patch I was actually able to play everything on max settings except for shadows.

As it is the first time in almost 12 years that I have to quit a game just because, as a matter of fact, I cannot play it, I feel rather disappointed in Bioware/ EA.

Now, my questions basically are: Are these just aftereffects of patch-day? Is it supposed to get better? Are they already working on it?

(If someone asks: yes, I already forced my AA off in the nvidia panel).

Thats awful, try updating your graphics drivers? I can't imagine what would cause that. :(

Good that you tried forcing AA off... Maybe try moving the game's .ini file temporarily and see if it creates a fresh one?

Edited by miliways

Eve and Wow are old games that are not as demanding as SWTOR.

You can't max out swtor because you don't have the PC for it or there's something wrong on your end.

Accept reality.

Dude seriously. I can max out any game I want, MMOs, FPSs, RTGs, you name it. Yet I somehow get horrible performance with SWTOR. Hell 20FPS in the fleet? For real? I've played Aion maxed and I saw the same FPS when there were 300-400 players on the screen.

Bioware somehow managed to make a crap looking game require more hardware resources than better looking games. I don't care if the engine is different or whatever, not my problem. It's their fault they made a game that runs like crap on machines which far outlevel recommended requirements.

Also the graphics settings are so 10 years ago, no options whatsoever.

Wait you turn on extra video features and didnt expect a hit in performance??? Your on a 3 year old video card what did you expect!?!?

Im on a 460TI running np and I see a difference.

I dont but then I forced it via the nvidia panel before, might be a bit smoother now though.

Quoted For Truth.

So now that everyone realizes that AA was not implemented correctly, all the naysayers are now going to say just force through your .ini file then. Will this ever quit, all of us that raise these concerns stick to our original argument and all others change there tactics to fit thier needs. Flip Floppers!

That's not the point. Bioware said they had a fix for this. Obviously they did not, leaving the consumer to fix it or in some cases have consumer think everything is fine and dandy because AA says High in the game. The same way they are misleading with keeping the settings in the game for character textures as high. People that don;t read the forums or other sites will be none the wiser and just might be the intent of Bioware.

Nope, but if he did or someone does they should share it because some of us will take a performance gain anywhere we can get it.

Your memory is a bit outdated, DDR2 really needs to be upgraded.

Also your cpu isnt really the latest quad core there is.

Also your videocard uses GDDR3 memory and not like the current ones do GDDR5.

So you might want to turn off AA untill you upgraded your PC.

Nope DDR2 works good, its more to do with CPU performance.

Idk if this what is causing my problem but I was going to start a new thread and saw this so here it is. My fps dropped out the bottom of the Earth. I can't even play in the Fleet anymore. I have not been to other worlds yet. So, can I please get some clarity if this AA implementation is the problem.

I notice absolutely no difference. What in the hell is going on at Bioware right now? I'm losing my faith quickly... This is coming from a die hard Bioware and Star Wars fan.

How do you patch something into the game and not even have it working?

Why do I have the feeling this game is going south very quickly.

Have you tried forcing AA outside the game?

I have and will do that, but it doesn't mitigate the fact that Bioware is trying to seep this under the rug by just having the option in the game to mitigate any backlash to that affect. They have done this more then i can count since launch. Where all they would have to do is tell us the truth about what is going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You act like this game is the best looking game there is? There's games that are far "heavier" on the art department that use less resources.

And this isnt that game.

Different kind of game different engine.

Your system is outdated and your DDR2 isnt helping either, just get used to it upgrade your pc or deal with it.

Just turn off your AA.

80% drop in fps.

running a Q9550 at 3.6ghz; GTX 285, 8gig of 4-4-4-12 800 memory and rest isn't important setup.

Fix it. Thanks. I'm not going to pay for a game that has no basic game features. Especially one that looks like it should run on 5y old machines.

I've been using 4x AA since day one, by adding the line to my INI file, and I get 70-110fps in full screen windowed mode.

Stop blaming BW for your fail at setting up your computer system correctly.