HORRIBLE AA implamentation.

GuillimanT

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking over this thread it seems the in-game AA is may be working for Nvida card users, but does nothing for AMD cards. I can see no difference turning the AA option on or off.

System spec: i5-2500K, HD Radeon 6950 2 GB, 8 GB ram. New, fresh drivers. I even deleted and let the game create a new Client_settings file.

Going back to forcing AA with C.C.C. - Game looks great, 60 fps (v-sync)

Yeah I use AMD and notice almost zero difference if any.

80% drop in fps.

running a Q9550 at 3.6ghz; GTX 285, 8gig of 4-4-4-12 800 memory and rest isn't important setup.

Fix it. Thanks. I'm not going to pay for a game that has no basic game features. Especially one that looks like it should run on 5y old machines.

Youre running shadows too I bet and AA. ..while 80% is alot shadows with AA kills a lot of older cards.

And you have some old tech too

Edited by Sunsoar

Isn't it odd how Bioware have created their own (sub) 'standard' with regard to their graphics settings.

Their High setting for AA seems comparable to the industry standard 1X or at a push 2X which is as we all know a very basic and low setting. Certainly not what the industry and we as gamers would deem as the high setting they are labelling it as.

The majority of people would consider either X8 (those with average spec'd PC's)

or X16 (those with high spec'd PC's) as a High setting.

Quite frankly this is just as bad as the removal of high resolution textures issue.

How far you've fallen Bioware. Such a terrible shame.

Disable AA through preferences while you are your character select screen. Look at the right shoulder of your character, see the jagged lines for the edges. Now enable it High and look at the same spot. It goes from really jagged lines, to smoother lines. If you seriously can't notice that... then I have no other advice.

Sorry i tried but i just cant see it maybe there is some slight edge bluring but im not sure here are some screenshots of my charscreen:

NoAA: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/94762641.jpg/

High AA: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/57914244.jpg/

Driver forced 8XMSAA: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/66986343.jpg/

As you can see there is almost no difference between no and high AA but a big difference betwen the game and the driver forced AA.

To be fair, some of the objects show very little difference with AA turned on. Just a moment ago I was looking at some of the angled lines of the floor on Nar Shaddaa and they are ridiculously blocky because the textures are so stretched. Is AA supposed to fix that? It's definitely not doing it, but those are some of the most obvious jaggies that people will see.

Other areas do seem to look smoother though.

Yes AA doesn't fix every jagged line. It is more designed to player textures vs background textures. There are more options that can be done through anti-aliasing but that comes with some other driver optimization that needs to be done. Some of that BW can do, while some of it the video card companies also need to do. That is why some people get better results forcing it, than using the in-game system than others. It is only about 8x right now, I usually play 16x but it does help. A lot of the textures just need touch up, no graphic changes can effect that, but that is something that will have to come later.

AA is garbage on my pc for some reason. No AA I get 70 fps. With it I get 25...

As can you tell by my pc specs in my sig. It shouldn't be a problem.

:(

I have a core i7 2600K and two 570's in SLI. I'm not seeing a problem so far, but I'll have to actually play when I finish work. When I forced AA prior to the patch, in some zones the framerate would drop through the floor, as would my GPU utilization.

Isn't it odd how Bioware have created their own (sub) 'standard' with regard to their graphics settings.

Their High setting for AA seems comparable to the industry standard 1X or at a push 2X which is as we all know a very basic and low setting. Certainly not what the industry and we as gamers would deem as the high setting they are labelling it as.

The majority of people would consider either X8 (those with average spec'd PC's)

or X16 (those with high spec'd PC's) as a High setting.

Quite frankly this is just as bad as the removal of high resolution textures issue.

How far you've fallen Bioware. Such a terrible shame.

You realize this is only the first of many fixes that are incoming right?

It's not actually possible to make all the changes that are needed in one pass.

AA works for me, I see the difference.

I also experience huge drop in fps.. I thought the game was barely playable before with 15-30fps, now I can't go over 10-15, and that's not even counting random fps drop areas/zones.

Good thing I cancelled my sub today because I won't play with 10-15fps and be told by BW that my 2 year old laptop is old and their optimization is great. ;)

Using a Radeon HD 7970, i7-2600 3.4 with 8GB RAM.

Deleted my SWTOR settings files and started over.

In-game AA settings having no discernible effect.

ATI driver AA working fine as before (yes, I did turn it off when I had the in-game AA turned on).

Here, took some screenshots with AA set OFF, LOW and HIGH. Between off and low, absolutely NO difference but high you can see the difference. This means that it is implemented but maybe not the best. Overall though, set to high I haven't had any performance hit but of course your results may vary based upon a variety of factors like but limited to hardware, drivers, background software and unknown software/hardware bugs.

Comparative GIF

Had to use an alternative since Imgur is blacked out due to sopa/pipa protest.

I would hope so. I would hope that you wouldn't get SPAMed with information about contacting your Senator. hehehe but yeah for anyone in the US it doesn't work. Have another link?

Hope imageshack works for you poor guys :D

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/3020/screenshot2012011817504.th.jpg

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1130/screenshot2012011817513.th.jpg

AA should have been fully functional since BETA. Imo, this game needed another 6 months of inhouse developing time before being released. Basic features are missing or not working. That's not funny. I don't care that content is low, the actual basics of the game need to be there.

Then unsubscribe and come back in six months.

Seriously.

No MMORG at launch is all there, and I've been at quite a few launches. Heck, no MMORG is all there when they turn out the lights and say goodbye.

if you can't cope, then don't play. Whining about the reality of the MMORG market and how these games evolve will not change it at all.

I'm running dual 6850s and in-game AA kills my system. Setting in-game AA to high I get 40-50 FPS. If I force AA through CCC I get 80-100 FPS and it looks a lot better. I'd recommend just forcing AA and avoid using the in-game settings.

With my ATI 6950 running 12.1a catalyst the in game AA absolutely does not work.

Deleted both clientsettings and graphics mirror reset to defaults on ccc. It just doesnt do anything.

I dont really care Ill just turn it back on in ccc and it works nicely. Just reinforcing the fact that it doesnt work on some configs.

Seriously.

No MMORG at launch is all there, and I've been at quite a few launches. Heck, no MMORG is all there when they turn out the lights and say goodbye.

if you can't cope, then don't play. Whining about the reality of the MMORG market and how these games evolve will not change it at all.

The ability to subscribe to a fantasy world and yet not expect fantasy results, might challenge the reality for some. :p

---

80% drop in fps.

running a Q9550 at 3.6ghz; GTX 285, 8gig of 4-4-4-12 800 memory and rest isn't important setup.

Fix it. Thanks. I'm not going to pay for a game that has no basic game features. Especially one that looks like it should run on 5y old machines.

So you telling me you don't know how to use your system. Thanks for the info. :)

AA takes up framerates. Try turning off a bunch of crap running in the background on your machine and call me in the morning.

People do realize that AA unless on supersampling settings are not really that noticeable. it is not like turning on and off bloom here, AA smooths out the edges a bit, and provides some basic definition to edging, that I do notice with it turned on. Stairs now look like... well stairs.

Seriously.

I do have to say, this particular spin that is being put on making the same dumb mistakes as your predecessors instead of learning from them and doing better is a stroke of genius.

Guys, it isn't that Bioware isn't meeting your standards, it is that your standards are too high!

DUH!