Open PVP is DEAD

ShaggNasty

Ok, so bioware you have effectively killed open world PVP. The Illum quests were the only incentive to go there and participate in open world pvp...and now that is gone. Thus catering to the QQing of all the boohooers and crybaby WOW players.

I understand this is a business and you want to keep people playing, enjoying the game and entertained but, your Open world PVP needs real work. Take a page from Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning. They were all about PVP and it was great. The open world systems that they had set up worked fantastically. A scaled open world pvp that REWARDS BAGS....that would encourage open world PVP, at this point...you have killed it.

To all of you that flame, or don't like this thread...go QQ some more somewhere else so bioware can break another aspect of its own game.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really hoping for some open world PVP like i use to see in SWG (the only other mmo I played)

I was utterly dissapointed with this games "open world" PVP. Ilum is and for the most part will always be a joke. What little open world PVP i ran into wile grinding usually consisted of a gank squad or a level 50 just killing time.

I hope they can come up with some incentive to do open world PVP but I just dont see them doing that.

Ok, so bioware you have effectively killed open world PVP. The Illum quests were the only incentive to go there and participate in open world pvp...and now that is gone. Thus catering to the QQing of all the boohooers and crybaby WOW players.

I understand this is a business and you want to keep people playing, enjoying the game and entertained but, your Open world PVP needs real work. Take a page from Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning. They were all about PVP and it was great. The open world systems that they had set up worked fantastically. A scaled open world pvp that REWARDS BAGS....that would encourage open world PVP, at this point...you have killed it.

To all of you that flame, or don't like this thread...go QQ some more somewhere else so bioware can break another aspect of its own game.

I'm really trying to understand what killed open world pvp in your eyes...the 3/30 you get per warzone?

It was dead on arrival. Ilum was crap from the start, crap when they made it give valor, crap now. It is still faster to get your daily done in Ilum as a WZ completion only gives 3 armaments, so people are still there. This didn't kill it, it was already dead, they just moved the body a few feet to the side.

It was dead on arrival. Ilum was crap from the start, crap when they made it give valor, crap now. It is still faster to get your daily done in Ilum as a WZ completion only gives 3 armaments, so people are still there. This didn't kill it, it was already dead, they just moved the body a few feet to the side.

that's why i was asking the OP... does he really think that 2.5 hrs of warzones to get your ilum daily done... killed ilum pvp?

I'm really trying to understand what killed open world pvp in your eyes...the 3/30 you get per warzone?

Assuming a 50/50 win rate in warzones (which by definition, is the average), completing your WZ dailies get you 18 credits towards your Ilum daily. You only need 12 more. The side that controls Ilum has people leaving much much more quickly (more than twice as fast) so they have far fewer defenders. One or two assaults and most of both sides are done with the daily and leave. With valour now pointless, there's absolutely no reason to stick around beyond only 12 kills/boxes

ORvR was never alive on this game, it was a joke of bad design choices and was viewed as a necessity as opposed to a leisure activity. It was boring and tedious, hopefully, with killing illum with 1.1.5 they will take the opportunity to re-evaluate what Orvr is and put in some real fun objectives as opposed to the garbage we got.

Capturing bases would be a start ala Warhammer

I know a bunch of ppl that their subs run out this month who are leaving the game. They feel that Bio has just made pvp a joke for the casuals and have just given up. I do not even know why we have pvp servers, it is not like there is any world pvp.

I am not sure what i want to do yet. I will give them till 1.2 i think just to see what happens.

The sad thing is that many of my pvp friends have already left or are planing to. MMO's in general have become way to easy and now are boring cuz of that fact.

Even WOW gane gone down the lets make it easy road. Vanilla WOW was how i like mmo's. You had to work as a team in instances to get stuff and pvp was way more fun. Now in WOW and here it is easy road for anything you want.

Edited by Badlander

I agree open world pvp was not the droids they were looking for.

Its nice, fun and looks good but anybody looking for that element, like myself will be waving bye as soon as something else decent pops up.

Warhammer Online now looks like a pvpers dream in comparison.

I agree why have pvp servers at all. Nearly all the questing areas were made that there was nearly no overlap. So do you want people to pvp or not. I would say not as you went great lengths to keep the opposing sides apart.

Warzones are mini games there are watered down pvp at best. They are put in to gear grind. What if there was no gear. I wonder how many would even bother with WZ's?

There is no faction pvp because there is no faction channel. It take forever to get anywhere with all the instance switching in the game. There is no fluidity in the game. It is jump here, jump there, jump again etc. It is not like you fly your ship and land.

Most of the worlds are way way way too large for the tiny amount of people on each server.

There are no objectives of anykind that would even inspire people to pvp. PVP is about capturing towns, cities, space ports, ships and having that mean something in game.

You can't do any of the above with the terrible faction balance that exists unless you limit participation in some of those activities.

Warhammer was pretty fun starting out and through tier 1 and 2. After that it go worse. This game doesn't have any tier combat just the same old boring WZ's day after day hour after hour.

If you are an imp You killed your own side 100 x more than you ever killed the pubs.

I thought this was a war. If so where is it?

I think you'd see more world pvp if people didn't have to endure a bunch of loading screens to get to it from the fleet vs clicking their WZ queue button.

That deters me more than anything. I don't feel like screwing around for 10 minutes just to get there and find out no one is there at the moment...then have to go back.

I'd love the ability to just be able to bring up my planet flight screen by clicking the door in fleet going to my class area. I'd travel so much more.

I think you'd see more world pvp if people didn't have to endure a bunch of loading screens to get to it from the fleet vs clicking their WZ queue button.

That deters me more than anything. I don't feel like screwing around for 10 minutes just to get there and find out no one is there at the moment...then have to go back.

I'd love the ability to just be able to bring up my planet flight screen by clicking the door in fleet going to my class area. I'd travel so much more.

This is actually a great point.

Not that this change would improve the worthless Ilum PvP, but it would sure as hell make it easier to join a good fight. Once I leave, I'm done for the night. 20min of travel time (to and from) just isn't worth it.

Not too sure what you're talking about Spanky.... I wen't to Ilum last night on Warriors of the Shadow and we had 2 full groups chewing up Imps left and right.

I managed to get 55 of my weekly done there in about 45 minutes...

Sorry bout your luck...

I was happy to see last night that OPvP is, indeed, not dead on my Server. We had some awesome fights in Ilum last night. With the 1.1.5 changes, I expected that Ilum would turn into a ghost town. It's anything but, and we are still fighting the night away between queueing for WZs. Granted, there aren't as many peeps there, but there are still enough for fun fights, and the best thing...no lag.

The truth of the matter is that this is not bioware's fault. Anyone, rep or imp, can easily put a posse together and go stand outside a base and start some PvP. I've seen it happen on different toons of mine.

HOWEVER

HUMAN NATURE causes us as players to always use the easiest, most convenient route to obtain a reward.

WZs and formerly Illum are popular because they present themselves as the most straightforward way to obtain gear. They are fun, easy, and convenient. People aren't going hunting for PvP because modern games usually have robust and quick ways to drop right into combat.

You know damn well if these features weren't in the game, people would be screaming for them.

Its not bioware's fault that world PvP is dead. They could put the reps and imps on opposite sides of a base but they'd rarely see eachother. There are no rewards for world PvP and even if there were its not in human nature to go hunting for random other players when a person can easily queue for a WZ. Illum was only working because people would AFK with their raid to gain the tokens. No one was actually PvPing. The engine couldn't handle 40v40 anyway.

Stop blaming bioware for something that players aren't actually that excited about.

TLDR:

People talk about world PvP like its some magical experience that millions of players want. The reality is world PvP died when players demanded easy and convenient ways to drop into PvP.

Edited by Arkerus

Ilum still has good sized battles on my server. A lot of us who went there previously still go to pick up the valor buff. Then we tangle with the Pubs when they come out to over-run us until we can bring some guildies to even the fight.

I was really hoping for some open world PVP like i use to see in SWG (the only other mmo I played)

I was utterly dissapointed with this games "open world" PVP. Ilum is and for the most part will always be a joke. What little open world PVP i ran into wile grinding usually consisted of a gank squad or a level 50 just killing time.

I hope they can come up with some incentive to do open world PVP but I just dont see them doing that.

Na, they dicked that up the minute they put ALL flashpoints/raids on the fleet (STUPID AS HELL).... why not put them in the world where BOTH FACTIONS have same entry point.... that will create world PVP. Also, give same level kills valor gains in world! WHY NOT!?

Edited by Volcan

To be fair, their decision to take Ilum back to the drawing board is more of an admittance on their part that their design in its current form is a failure, not much to do with the whiners from other games.

It was dead long before this change. Now instead of riding around in circles collecting crates for two hours, waiting for those few zerg fights over the center, you can do half of the Ilum dailies while doing the WZ daily. Then if you really want you can race track it around the center in Ilum or just run another half dozen WZs.

Sorry but Ilum was all the world PvP this game had and it was horrible to begin with. The game engine couldn't handle a decent engagement without becoming a slide show and they only place worth fighting over was the center. I wish BW would hire some designers from a successful PvP game but at this point they are going the instances PvP route.