Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.

Badlander

Well no combat macros is pretty much what i was talking about. Sorry should have made it more clear :)

sorry, you can't macro out your whole rotation and play while you're half afk :/

i hear rift has a robust macro system if that's specifically what you're looking for.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, Bioware has taken a stance against macros. Good. :)

If I wanted to play a game riddled with macro-idiots, I'd play WoW or Rift.

Seriously, what is SO difficult about doing your rotations and keeping an eye on your abilities as they become available? Macros encourage making things easier and easier, such as putting 7 skills on one button.

Screw that.

I'm at work so I can't post a screen but let me go on for you:

1 Hammershot

2 Energy shot (the one with +1 ammo)

3 Full Auto

4 High Impact Bolt

Q Sticky Grenade

E Energy Shot (the lightning thing with debuff)

R Stockstrike

F Cryogren

V Charge

C Hook

shift+F Mortars

shift+E Ion Cannon

T AoE Explosion Thing (cant remember name)

Middle Mouse Interrupt

shift+Thumb-Mouse 1 Guard

shift+Thumb-Mouse 2 Ammo Recharege

Thumb-Mouse 1 Taunt

Thumb-Mouse 2 AoE Taun

Def Relics + Defensive Buffs F1-F4

Off Relic + Buff shift1 / shift2

oh edit: shift+c is the grenade shot that knocks back weak targets (for aoe interrupt in WZ)

Hm, not sure if I forgot something out of my mind.. But yeah, thats it.

So yes I all play this by hand and I still manage in PvE to charge 1 enemy, taunt the 2nd and hook the 3rd as it is SIMPLE if you have HANDS.

Thank you for that, but it means so little to me being I never played a bounty hunter =(

Any bounty hunters out there see missing abilities? On an assassin I use waaay more abilities than that during pvp.

If you want to spend the money you earn on hardware that gives you an advantage: so be it, it's your money, ....

*sigh* it is not about what i want, or need to play the game. i my self use an old keyboard with in total 4 programmable buttons two at far left, and two at far right all four of them unreachable in a fast paced combat scenario.

im just saying the macros are allready in there and in a way supported by BW (i dont think razer can use the swtor branding without permission from LA, EA, BW) and i dont understand why people dont realise this.

Do whatever you feel you need to do to play better, but shoveling a ton of abilities into one key press is not going to make you a better player, most people would argue it will make you worse, because you won't actually learn to play your class and use your abilities appropriately, you will depend on the macros you Goggle from other people who DID learn those things.

How does clicking on the portrait of my companion in the bottom right of my screen and then casting Force Armor on him make me a better player then hitting a single button to automatically target him and cast it?

I really like verbiage macros and emote macros and miss them alot.

Read through the thread:

They will be implementing Non-Combat Macros, most likely meaning: You will have your /emote and /Ops and /yell macros and such, just no macros that can use scripting to shovel 5 abiolity uses on timed CDs into one button.

But that IS what happens.

For instance... this is a Death Knight Macro used by many in WOW for PVP...

/castsequence reset=target Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Blood Strike, Blood Strike, Obliterate, Frost Strike, Howling Blast

They run around in circles clicking one button to perform 7 different abilities. Now, do you think this adds an advantage over a player who doesn't use a macro like this?

Macros like this force everyone to follow along due to being at a disadvantage.

Having played the Death Knight extensively I can tell you whoever used the macro you listed here was very bad and got killed alot by most classes. Esp as a frost spec death knight, bad bad bad player.

Read through the thread:

They will be implementing Non-Combat Macros, most likely meaning: You will have your /emote and /Ops and /yell macros and such, just no macros that can use scripting to shovel 5 abiolity uses on timed CDs into one button.

That will be nice, but I still miss them.

How does clicking on the portrait of my companion in the bottom right of my screen and then casting Force Armor on him make me a better player then hitting a single button to automatically target him and cast it?

You know you can keybind to target companion, right?

Also: Mouseover macros make healing ridiculously easy, I healed in some other MMOs for the past 6 and 1/2 years in Hardcore Progression guilds, there is NO argument against what I just stated.(Not against how I feel) Mouseover makes healing a JOKE. Having to target a specific person before casting? At least there's a small modicum of thought involved.

There's no reason for them, everything is working fine right now. If there was a huge hassle, I could understand your logic, but I have binds set to target companions, I move the Ops frames to desired positions for healers and nothing is an issue in any difficulty setting.

Learning your keybinds will make you a better player. That's how. Reacting faster b/c you know where your companions pic is by nature from fluent use... will make you a bette rplayer. Understanding when you have procs up, and can therefore use a concurrent ability INSTEAD of just having that ability smashed into a one button use on a common spell/ability WHEN it is procced... will make you a better player.

This is all subjective and my opinion, I just feel there really isn't a huge need for long, scripted, one-button-multiple-ability macros.

I have played on both ends of this spectrum, and it's pretty refreshing to learn and understand all your abilities and how best to time them and use them... instead of depending on the fact that they are already set to be used on proc in a macro for your #1 or #2 used ability.

Unless you dump 80 dollars into a mouse or a high end keyboard yea your are gonna continue to have a disadvantage against those that can macro. Its awesome.

Thanks Bioware !!

I refuse to support Razer products since I've gone through 2 naga mice that were both junk. I will not use a razer keyboard.

Since there will be no in game combat macros, and I have to buy a macro keyboard to remain competitive, which one do you folks recommend that's easy to use and works well with SWToR?

Preferably one that works well in other MMOs too since I'll most likely be moving on once another decent product hits the market.

Edited by Alexi_son

I refuse to support Razer products since I've gone through 2 naga mice that were both junk. I will not use a razer keyboard.

Since there will be no in game combat macros, and I have to buy a macro keyboard to remain competitive, which one do you folks recommend that's easy to use and works well with SWToR?

Logitech, any of the G series are nice.

"Remain Competitive" in a game with no ranking system as of yet. /giggle

This game is so easy that macros are redundant.

I have solo healed the first two bosses in EV and first boss in KP in Hard Mode 8 man with my Sorc. It was fun. With mouseover macro, target of target and a proper grid, it would have been so much more easier and probably extremely boring.

Unless you dump 80 dollars into a mouse or a high end keyboard yea your are gonna continue to have a disadvantage against those that can macro. Its awesome.

Thanks Bioware !!

I use a 5€ keyboard and a normal non-macro mouse and will still be better than any macro user. Sorry.

all i want is to be able to make a "INC LEFT" "INC RIGHT" or "INC MID" macro so i dont have to type mid combat on alderaan. is that so much to ask???? >.<

Get yourself a Logitech G510 or better and you can macro /say etc etc...

This game is so easy that macros are redundant.

I have solo healed the first two bosses in EV and first boss in KP in Hard Mode 8 man with my Sorc. It was fun. With mouseover macro, target of target and a proper grid, it would have been so much more easier and probably extremely boring.

Exactly .. and exactly how much effort is in your healing rotation.

My abilities for tanking that all have different cooldowns and have to be prioritized and available in combat, and ALL have to be used in combat to keep and maintain agro, and keep myself and my group alive are:

Riposte and blade storm that have to be kept up, all the time on 6 and 8? second cooldowns, freezing force, sundering strike, strike, slash, guardian slash, saber throw, force leap, guardian leap, force kick for interrupts, master strike, force stasis, hilt strike (our only +threat attack and on 1 min cooldown /boggle), taunt, challenging call (aoe taunt), force sweep, cyclone slash, pommel strike and opportune strike. Plus enure, warding call, awe, and saber ward as defensive cooldowns, plus 2 relics and a medpack.

Now, as a tank, I *HAVE* to have those available.

And you can start to see how its a tad more than is easily managed one button at a time. Being able to bind multiple abilities onto one button to auto triage them for me would let me take things down to a more manageable # of buttons to track.

Unless BW also plans to reduce some of the general clutter and annoyances with my skill matrix also.

Well, no matter what your OPINION is on macros it will all boil down to facts.

FACT: The use of macros gives advantage in gameplay.

FACT: Macros are currently available through 3rd party vendoring.

FACT: In the future rated warzones, those who have these 3rd party devices and programs will statistically be more efficient, and attain higher ratings.

FACT: Hardcore raiders who use these 3rd party devices will perform more efficiently and be prefered in raids and partys overtop other players.

FACT: The scenarios most of the people who hate macros fear will take place, if in game macros are introduced, are already happening.

the reason for no to combat macros seems clear and understandable to me

when ppl start yo use macros it makes certain aspects of combat easier. the only way to balance this is to make battles designed around using macros. which then leads o it being to difficult for ppl athat don't use macros.

so the safest way to keep us all on a level playing field is, no to macros.

good choice BW

You know you can keybind to target companion, right?

I was asking for general purposes, but I'll rephrase.

How does hitting my keybind to target my companion and then hitting my keybind for Force shield make me a better player then hitting a macro to do both?