Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.

Badlander

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware doesn't like to work.

The irony is so strong here it's just absurd.

They don't want combat macros, for the EXACT reason you are stating about them: it makes it so people don't have to work.

I think it's a great stance.

They are looking for a smooth way to implement macros without people being able to shot someone in PvP via a one button macro, or to blow through a HUGE damage phase on a Nightmare level boss via one-button cooldown rotation tanking macro.

And they're right, there's no reason for such things.

You want to use a Game Shark/Cheat Code setup, go get on your console and buy those things. Introducing scripting macros for us in combat is just silly at the end of the day, I thought they were great in WoW, but in retrospect they made people lazy.

Macro's are on sale at Amazon. :)

Edit: In fact, there are software solutions that emulate the function of macro keys if the hardware prices exceeds your budget. My point is whether you find combat macros to be "lazy" or "cheating" -- it doesn't matter. They're already available and can't be patched out. Personally, I feel macros make the game less engaging and a bit boring - but it doesn't matter! They may as well add them to make the lives of non-combat macro users lives easier.

Edited by TurokDarkstar

It was pretty much said that there will be no macros anytime soon if ever at the guild summit. It seems part of the Dev team hates macros and does not want them in game.

But, they did say there will be some things in game that will help healers and such. What that means who knows they did not explain it very well.

What exactly you mean by a macro having custom buttons with multiple commands executed in succession? Then i say no no need.

If you mean a custom TXT Raid macro and custom targeting TXT buttons then yes im all for it..

Get a mic.

Imagine how hepful that can be when you can team up with only 3 of your buddies who are on voice chat and the other 4 are random Joe's...

Smarta.s.s. comments like these are why I never lose faith in the community's ability to be ethically lacking :D

Does not really matter at all if they do or don't.

Just like any other MMO with no macro support people with third party software like Logitech and mice and keyboards with many spare keys and even ones like the G15 that have built in on the fly macro ability from key press's will just macro anyway using there software and keyboards and mice.

The fact that its not really illegal by the game TOS to do so as your still pressing a key to use it and it is still limited by the cool-down timers and what not. The fact that they don't embrace this and add an inbuilt macro ability only means they have no control over how we macro and have no TOS to tell us ;).

<add>

I see many others have already mentioned such things kudos to them :), I will be living happily with my macro heal thanks.

Edited by leddhead

Yes, combat macros are available via a workaround. I have a G15 Keyboard, but I bind my G Keys to CTRL+1-9 and ALT+1-9 (18 keys total), then keybinding quickslots to those combinations.

HOWEVER, with BioWare NOT supporting those that use those macros, they can ignore balancing issues with them (They don't have to make content harder because of those who use macros make their gameplay easier). The problem with supporting in-combat macros is that it makes balancing for both those with macros and without impossible.

all i want is to be able to make a "INC LEFT" "INC RIGHT" or "INC MID" macro so i dont have to type mid combat on alderaan. is that so much to ask???? >.<

These I would like to have.

As far as combat macros, I'm glad they won't officially be in and I hope Bioware has ways of messing up gaming mouse and keyboard macros or if they don't, I hope they find ways. You shouldn't be able to load multiple attacks onto 1 button.

That would be pretty funny since they are sponsoring one of those keyboards.

This is true, The razor keyboard that is coming out or is out does such dynamic on the fly macro's in fact it to say they don't like macro's is to say they don't like to key re-bind's this would also mean they don't like the products that they support like the razor gaming laptop that has touch screen skill use ability all this really is is a touch screen LCD similar to an Ipodtouch that has key-bound the touch areas in question to keys on a keyboard and no doupt you have the ability add macro's there as well.

After all a macro is just a timed automation of key presses but it is still limited to the game mechanics. There is no real solid way to detect people using a macro if they are smart about the timers they have setup, so not having a inbuilt solution they support simply means like I said above in my previous post is that they have no official supported way to control it.

<add>

Yep I already setup macro's for rotations to combine a couple skills I would fire one after the other every time the CD was up. Being a Deception INQ I simply need to macro the Recklessness to right after I use my Discharge ability as I need to use Discharge before recklessness to get the most benefit from it and why would I waste two key binds :) if they don't support chain spell casts via macro in game I will simply use a grey area to my advantage and its perfectly legal by the TOS.

Edited by leddhead

I like their stance against combat-macros.

It`s the same with no cross-server Groupfinder.

They clearly have a vision.

So what your saying is that instead of everyone having the SAME optional advantage you prefer to be ignorant and think the person your fighting against is just REALLY fast with the key presses and is not using a macro some other way ?

I can assure you that this way of thinking is delusional, a few people who have posted here already admit that they do, to not give everyone this option is ignorant.

Besides its hardly an advantage and its not considered a cheat or a hack, as your not bypassing any of the games limitations in terms of how long you need to wait to use an ability. Honestly we don't even need FULL BLOWN macro support we just need keys to be bind- able to multiple action bar slots from the key-binds menu.

To be quite frank about this I would simply refuse to not macro until they give us a third middle bar I rarely ever want to use side bars as they are clutter-sum but I have no choice but to macro while the bar positions are hard coded and set the way they are.

Edited by leddhead

Combat macros is the worst thing to come to MMOs ever.

It's crack for lazy players IMO.

This. Basically if you allow combat macros people will just macro their entire rotation into one or two buttons, them spam it endlessly. I went back over to the rift forums and see entire guides set up with 30-40 abilities maccroed into 3 buttons to spam depending on the situation.

In WoW, I was a BM hunter during early BC. At this time the only way to obtain optimal dps was to make a macro and bind it to your mouse wheel and spam the f*ck out of it do to exploiting ability delay/pushback enough into squeezing out two steady shots per autoshot or something like that (impossible to do by hand, so just spam it 5 times a second for 4 hours a night). It was so soul destroyingly bad I immediately "volunteered" to go survival spec to be the buff ***** and didn't even begin to look back.

TL;DR Combat macros= all of your abilities in one button spammed like the Tracer Missile noobs that get interrupted and go DURRRR @.@ for the entire 4 seconds.