Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.

Badlander

There are too many buttons/abilities in this game as it stands. I can do about 2.5 toolbars and after that I am officially out of space for easy-to-reach hotkeys. Unfortunately, I have like four freaking toolbars of stupid situational abilities. As it stands I either have to not use them or click them.

This is annoying.

With simple macros, I can bind together an ability I use a lot with a clickie item I normally forget to use, such as a relic. I sure would like to be able to do that, because clicking buttons with the mouse in combat is the suck.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are too many buttons/abilities in this game as it stands. I can do about 2.5 toolbars and after that I am officially out of space for easy-to-reach hotkeys. Unfortunately, I have like four freaking toolbars of stupid situational abilities. As it stands I either have to not use them or click them.

This is annoying.

With simple macros, I can bind together an ability I use a lot with a clickie item I normally forget to use, such as a relic. I sure would like to be able to do that, because clicking buttons with the mouse in combat is the suck.

ya

i dont really get with the amount of abilities they put in the game why there against macros.not everyone likes having a million keybinds they need to use

Edited by CrunkShizzle

so why exactly if there against macros did they make so many skills for classes then

because macros would probably be a great way to cut down on skills.not everyone likes juggling 30 keybinds for a rotation

Pretty sure no class uses 30 keybinds for a standard rotation. In this game its more like 3-6 for your optimal dps rotation. Weave in CD's from time to time, and in pvp things get dicey as you have to kite, prevent self from kiting, etc. Thats the only place you need 30 keybinds. Even then I can't see anyone making a macro for anything more than a standard rotation... even then if you DID macro everything into one you'd probably be an easy kill. How can you use exactly the right ability at exactly the right time cycling through 4-5 abilities per key stroke!? You mean to hit a snare at the right time and hit a slow first, then a stun, then a root (but hes already stunned! imma die now for wasting that root... etc)

I have macros on my mouse and keyboard so it doesn't really matter to me. I already have my trinkets and temp buffs macroed to an insta death button.

I just want ui addons or even visual ques in the standard ui for when things proc. I hate having to stare at my bars when i'm fighting to keep up with a proc move that I will gimp myself if I don't see.

Edited by MeETpLoW

I have macros on my mouse and keyboard so it doesn't really matter to me. I already have my trinkets and temp buffs macroed to an insta death button.

I just want ui addons or even visual ques in the standard ui for when things proc. I hate having to stare at my bars when i'm fighting to keep up with a proc move that I will gimp myself if I don't see.

There's already visual and/or auditory clues for just about every proc based ability in the game. Example: My BH lets out a grunt-like sound when my ability that resets rocketpunch activates.

Granted sometimes these auditory/visual clues can be hard to spot during the middle of a battle.

Edited by iResist

There's already visual and/or auditory clues for just about every proc based ability in the game. Example: My BH lets out a grunt-like sound when my ability that resets rocketpunch activates.

Granted sometimes these auditory/visual clues can be hard to spot during the middle of a battle.

Hmm I didn't notice a grunt and my main was a Powertech Pyrotech until I had to reroll on a server with an actual player base (HINT HINT). It's not as bad to stare at your bars as a ranged. I was mainly thinking about riposte on my Sentinel. It's a real pain to keep up with it fighting as melee. Maybe there some kind of Que for it that I just haven't noticed but if I haven't noticed it its a bad que.

Edited by MeETpLoW

Macros just clean up your hotbar, and keep you from having to hunt and peck with your mouse. It makes play more efficient.

People are already using macros, but they're just exclusive to those folks that are able and willing to spend the money on third party systems to make it possible.

So the people that suffer are those that either can't or don't know to spend the money on the hardware and use third-party software that doesn't interact with the game but simply their controller (making it impossible to track whose using it).

So not having macro support hurts the average player by making them hunt and peck with their clicker while a more elite crowd uses third party systems that alllow them to operate at an entirely different level of play.

The only people that haven't figured this out are oldskoolers (whom the development team seems to have entirely too many of) nostalgic for their idea of good old days that are never coming back.

Macros already exist in every game on the market... their called Nostromo / G15 / G700 / etc.

Not putting a feature like this inside a game doesn't stop those who really want it. But it does put everyone else at a disadvantage.

...just say'in

The irony is so strong here it's just absurd.

They don't want combat macros, for the EXACT reason you are stating about them: it makes it so people don't have to work.

I think it's a great stance.

They are looking for a smooth way to implement macros without people being able to shot someone in PvP via a one button macro, or to blow through a HUGE damage phase on a Nightmare level boss via one-button cooldown rotation tanking macro.

And they're right, there's no reason for such things.

You want to use a Game Shark/Cheat Code setup, go get on your console and buy those things. Introducing scripting macros for us in combat is just silly at the end of the day, I thought they were great in WoW, but in retrospect they made people lazy.

There's only one "slight" problem with that argument:

Some people can already do all of that with the right keyboard. Some players already have an advantage. Hell, there's even an official ToR keyboard you create macros with so this decision baffles me.

Edited by byteresistor

This is annoying.

Thank you. I really don't get where all this macro hate comes from.

I love when people think that macros = 1 button IWIN. Obviously we don't want to see something like WoW's 1 button BM hunter macro (seriously, I had no problems topping the charts with it), but the nice thing about macros is that BW would have 100% control over what they'd allow you to do with them.

Personally the biggest thing I want is modifier macros which would allow me to condense my abilities a lot more, but I don't think this would be considered a combat macro, so I'm hopeful that we'll someday get this.

Having combat macros would imply having a whole scripting language ready for the input of user commands. That could take a lot of time to prepare.

And we don't know what they are using in their own macro developping toolkits.

It was pretty much said that there will be no macros anytime soon if ever at the guild summit. It seems part of the Dev team hates macros and does not want them in game.

But, they did say there will be some things in game that will help healers and such. What that means who knows they did not explain it very well.

Thank god for no macros! yesssss!!!

Seems to me that with all the 3rd party software, keyboards and mice available by not having macros, Bioware is basically creating the problem they are trying to prevent. Some players will have a built in advantage over others. I understand no one wants a 1 button mash fest like Rift, but Bioware's solution is really poor and not creative at all. Of course if you want macros you can plop down a hundred bucks or whatever for the licensed keyboard from Logitech so how do we know this just isn't a business decision between 2 companies and nothing to do with the development of the game?

PERSONALLY,,,,,, AS A LEFT HANDER.... I struggle, I have key binded my numeric pad and surrounding keys to cater for my disability lol... All numbers are hotkeys for skills. # is jump , / is draw weapon. -+_=/* all do something else, Yeah its a pain, every new alt has to be key binded as yet i have not found a template save. BUT I WONT USE MACRO's I will struggle and enjoy the game as hitting the right key adds a element of skill timing and satisfaction.