STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™ Asia Pacific Launch

CourtneyWoods

i dont agree with you at all things are getting fixed all the time the game gets better ever week PLUS this game launch has been alot better than some other big name mmos i will not mention , you remind me of those people who join a warzone and see we losing and leave ,but we come back and won too bad you allready left!

Did a run through Directive 7 off late? LOL Yes SOME things get better while even more become worse. Although this is the nature of complex game patching I like to say that this is a paid service and thus I expect more than what is delivered. It is clear this game required clearly more testing for at least an additional 6 months.

Coming back to the server move: Yeah everyone that transfers characters early may find themselves in a situation of sheer disaster. Be warned guys and girls, be warned. I recommend to sit back and watch the development on the new servers or alternatively roll a new toon and check before moving. Funny that there is a LIMITED time window for the move. Like ***? Why? Stinks like there is a hidden agenda we are not supposed to know about. Again I fear it may be server related. They seem uncanningly keen to get foreigners off the US and EU servers. Is it those of us connecting with higher pings dragging it down for everyone else perhaps? Why does this matter? Is the server hardware/backbone infrastructure perhaps cheap and not proper to run this service? Is it about money? <---the last question is of course an ironic one as we all know the answer, right?

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed a dramatic decrease in people playing the game on US servers.Started out Heavy and Full Servers to Mostly Light and Very few Standard.If i were Bioware it would be a no-brainer that the game is not sufficiant enough to expand to other regions yet.I would say over the population of all the US servers probably 60% of the people that started on release in the US have quit the game for issues not being adjusted and fixed correctly.So until all the issues are correctly fixed i suggest Bioware implement free Server Transfers for the patient people who stay through the bad times and really give more effort in fixing the current US problems.The game has Potential, just Bioware needs to earn their money and do something about the Crash in population on US servers and implement Free Server Transfers.At least till they make the game more user friendly to where people dont want to quit,Thank You

I think the only thing you are seeing there is the wife/gf agro, piles of laundry, RL responsibilities kicking in and people only playing 4 or 5 days a week instead of the 8 they were playing for the first month ;)

Not speaking from personal experience at all . . . <_< >_>

And as I mentioned, expanding into another region with no changes to the game (although maybe they should add a proper English version of the games ;) ) has no effect on the speed at which bugs are fixed and new content is added.

I have never seen a game released with this level of content and features, and with only minor periods of downtime. If you expect much more you aren't really being realistic, and you have probably never been satisfied.

I'm an American living in California but I have an unusual shift schedule. Because of that, it's nearly impossible for me to be active in a guild based on U.S. time zones. I've found a great guild on The Harbinger, which is all Australians.

I'd very much like to be able to transfer my characters over and continue to play with them when they transfer. If I can't, then I think I'd still have to re-roll because, frankly, I just can't be available in the evenings when most people play. I'm at work then.

The FAQ is pretty hard to understand. It says:

"You specified that your country is Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, or Singapore during your account registration process."

Taken literally, that means that I can't transfer because I had my country setting as "United States" when I registered the account.

I have changed it to Australia in the hopes that it will flag me for a character transfer.

I'd love to get a developer to respond and say whether this is good enough, or if I should just roll a character over there on March 1st and try to get to 50 as quickly as possible to rejoin my guild.

Thanks.

Coming back to the server move: Yeah everyone that transfers characters early may find themselves in a situation of sheer disaster. Be warned guys and girls, be warned. I recommend to sit back and watch the development on the new servers or alternatively roll a new toon and check before moving. Funny that there is a LIMITED time window for the move. Like ***? Why? Stinks like there is a hidden agenda we are not supposed to know about. Again I fear it may be server related. They seem uncanningly keen to get foreigners off the US and EU servers. Is it those of us connecting with higher pings dragging it down for everyone else perhaps? Why does this matter? Is the server hardware/backbone infrastructure perhaps cheap and not proper to run this service? Is it about money? <---the last question is of course an ironic one as we all know the answer, right?

You realize that what you are recommending may actually cause the problem you are warning against, right?

I think they should actually move the 3 unofficial Oceanic servers, and give people free transfers off to other US West servers. Any way you do it some people won't be happy.

But we all know what they say.

You realize that what you are recommending may actually cause the problem you are warning against, right?

I think they should actually move the 3 unofficial Oceanic servers, and give people free transfers off to other US West servers. Any way you do it some people won't be happy.

But we all know what they say.

Thank you Evgen, that's exactly what I think U.S Gamer's would like. To be afforded the option of transfers off the server as well. Either way this is going to be a problem for one part or the other.

Will it be possible for other players to transfer to the servers within European and North American regions? And if not, can the players who are not from the pacific region make a transfer to these Austrialian/Asian servers? My current server is dead (Tott Doneeta EU) and in the absence of other options I'm ready to play even with Hong Kong, Australian, NZ and other players from the pacific area regarldess of the different time zones, just want to have fun with other players instead of playing solo-game, really. Edited by Trollmarine

Also, developers don't set up new servers, and nothing new is being added to the game except an AP tab in server selection. So this will not affect the speed at which current bugs are fixed and new content is added.

they specifically said that they're putting a physical server down somewhere within Australia.

and you are correct that this shouldn't affect the speed of bugfixes and/or content updates.

spoilt little brats, all of you. :mad:

wake up, the whole world does not revolve around you, or us.

be happy that BW have tried to do something positive for us all and improve our gaming experience.

Thanks for that. At last somebody with some adult behavior. After I read the announcement to launch in AUS region, I thought let's go over to their threads to finally read something positive in these forums.

And then this. Really, I don't get it. First you guys all complained that there were no AUS servers at launch. You were clearly told that there would be AUS servers together with an official launch in that region sometime in the future. You couldn't wait and started playing on US/EU servers. Now complaining about servers and official launch in your region? God, simply stay where you are or reroll on the new servers. In my opinion BW allowing you to freely move is actually a bad idea. What progress oriented player wants to start on a server where hundreds of level 50 toons magically appear minutes after launch?

IMHO they should just forbid any char transfer for at least 3 months. They will get complaints from you guys anyway - regardless what they do.

You were clearly told that there would be AUS servers together with an official launch in that region sometime in the future. You couldn't wait and started playing on US/EU servers.

Actually, we were clearly told on the 21/12/2011 that there would be an Oceanic Release probably around the start of March with Local servers and maybe character transfers. Prior to that we had no idea whether it would be 3 months after US/EU release or 6 months or 12 months or 2 years ......... And there was zero information about local servers. Most speculation concluded that there was no way they would give us local servers.

If they had released the same info 5-10 days prior to the US/EU release I would have quite happily not bought the game at that point and waited till it released here. I waited until 3 days before it released, at which point i got sick of waiting and ordered it off amazon.

I even participated in the BestBuy chat that they conducted just prior to release, and asked, not when we would get an Oceanic release, but when we were likely to get information about about an Oceanic release. Subtle difference, but I figured it as my best chance to get a reply. However my question was rejected. At that point I went ahead and bought the game.

If you consider that our best info suggested that whenever we did finally get the game released here we were still going to be playing on US servers, it's quite reasonable for people to want to be starting the game when everyone else on the server they would be playing on started and avoid feeling left behind.

Personally I'm ecstatic that we're getting local servers, and plan to transfer across to them. But BW communication could have been a little better.

I've browsed through the thread and I just want to highlight a few misconceptions about Hong Kong and Singapore, judging from some of the comments.

For those who are concerned about language differences issues, you do know that SG and HK both have a colonial history and the people there are proficient in English right? If you are referring to accent differences then yes, I suppose there are, but then the same argument can be made about Australian and New Zealand accents from an American-centric standpoint.

Yes, though HK is part of the PRC now as a special administrative region, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Hong Kongers = Mainland Chinese, with all the stigma about hackers, gold sellers, spammers and what not.

I'm not a Hong Konger - just wanted to dispel some misconceptions, not trying to make it political or anything.

But otherwise, this is a great piece of news! Thanks for releasing in Asia Pacific!! May SWTOR reach greater heights of success and beat wow eventually =)

Edited by Reijikageyama

Bioware

In the beginning, you announce "Worldwide Launch" of SWTOR. "Worldwide" according to you included USA and countries in Europe only.

Now you announce "Asia Pacific" Launch of SWTOR. ""Asia Pacific" in this case, refers to only FOUR countries: Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Which geography consultant did you hire?

Or do your marketing people not have basic knowledge of geography?

A simple Google search of 'Asia Pacific countries" yields a long list of countries, and not just four. Even Blizzard knows that.

(I have never played WOW).

I have supported SWTOR since pre-launch and I own two copies of the CE. Not including other Asia Pacific countries in March is just bad public relations. My friends and I from these excluded Asia Pacific countries play almost everyday. We want to transfer to Asia Pacific servers in March. Give consideration to your loyal customers in these regions for once, Bioware.

Edited by Ratior

Hong Kong and Singapore are the only Asia country out there?

What about us who live in Indonesia? We're very near to Singapore and Australia, but still BW does not consider Indonesia as ASIA?

You should be able to play in Asia/Pacific server.

But yes don't know why it left out few other countries. (but hey they are Americans what do you expect?) lol

also Will it have proper real English spelling than poor US English spelling on Australian updates information's? ;)

From FAQ

Digital Deluxe Edition (suggested retail price of $89.99 AUD)

Digital Deluxe Edition (Suggested retail price of $79.99)

Why does a digital edition (no physical box), from Origin which is a download, cost $10AUD more than the exact same US edition? Especially when the Australian dollar is worth more than the US dollar?

Note: AUD/USD >> 1.0753 meaning $1AUD = $1.07USD

Also $14.99US = $13.94AUD

Edited by Lungbutter

From FAQ

Why does a digital edition (no physical box), from Origin which is a download, cost $10AUD more than the exact same US edition? Especially when the Australian dollar is worth more than the US dollar?

Note: AUD/USD >> 1.0753 meaning $1AUD = $1.07USD

cuz they are a business, and they like to make money

If this is the case, I assume most people from Asian-Pacific region won't transfer. You simply cannot do any sort of end-game play with a 300+ ping latency.

The funny part of this is that from Australia, we're always playing at circa 300ms in any MMO we play. Glad we still do ok.

That SWTOR is launching Australian servers will go down famously here as the low pings will not only provide great play, but great sentiment.

Edited by Fafryd

Hopefully the server migration is indicative of upcoming overall server transfer options.

This is true ... if you get no answer on this, then I'd recommend setting up a new character on the server when its available and making sure its latency is better/ check its IP.

USA is closer to Australia route-wise than asia is.