Is the Consular storyline as boring as I've heard?

NEStheONE

Well, I enjoyed the consular storyline a good bit... but then, when give the options we have, not a big surprise:

Trooper : a pretty good class with a very generic "Hey, I'm a trooper" storyline

Smuggler : a broken class with a pretty funny storyline, but difficult to continue since the class is so broken

Knight : Class is pretty decent, with a "How shall we save the entire universe this week T7?" storyline...

For the knights out there, exactly how many utterly devastating planet-killing weapons do we have out there?!? And with all this, how come it took 3500 years to come up with something the size of a moon that destroys planets???

Consular has really nice abilities, a dual playstyle (melee or caster, so good for almost everyone), and a storyline that pretty much encapsulates the entire jedi concept:

"There is no emotion, there is peace; There is no ignorance, there is knowledge; There is no passion, there is serenity; There is no chaos, there is harmony; There is no death, there is the Force."

And:

"Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things."

Entire concept is, there is an imminent galaxy-wide problem that could make things much worse, so you try to peaceably solve the issue and save everyone involved with as little violence as possible; Then, there is a major rift in the republic and you play Jean-Luc running around doing diplomacy; Have not played Act 3, so cannot speak about it...

In any case, it appears to be the ultimate "Jedi Code" story... try to handle all things and prevent major problems by maintaining peace, harmony, etc... and, if you go Dark Side, you can get a lot of excitement and adventure, otherwise, you are attempting to keep those things at a minimum.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything seems bland after the Inquisitor story:

Act 1

1-14 Be stepped on by trainers and people in power. Prove your self.

15-30 Gain strength and learn about some imminent duplicity against you.

Final Scene: Face this duplicity and triumph.

Act 2

More duplicity.

Accused of Treason and become a fugitive.

Gain Strength, and gather power/influence in order to face your accuser.

Final Scene: Fight Accuser, BUT find out the "you gained power too fast for own good" and you're "sick"

Act 3

Gather info/stuff for cure.

Get cured.

Confront Accuser. Win, but not really.

Confront Accuser. Again. Win harder.

I think the reason I liked this story the most is that, as a selfish person, it appealed to my "it's all about me" mentality. There was no "oh, this guy needs my help" moments.

I'm burnt out on my original class. Thinking of doing Shadow or Assassin. I've yet to even barely play Republic side, and was thinking of going Shadow.

However, I remember some people telling me that the Consular storyline is absolutely atrocious and boring.

Someone set me straight!!! ...please? :D

I liked it...

I just wish Satele Shan was in it a lot more. However, in true Star Wars fashion, the "surprises" are a bit predictable.

Edited by Turando

ive been leveling a scoundrel at the same time as a shadow, and honestly the consular story line is just as interesting really. Its all cliche' star wars stories pretty much exactly how you would expect them to be, so im not sure how someone says one is more interesting than another.

The main thing ive noticed is the shadow seemed less capable of dealing with the bosses and things in his main story quests which made it more frustrating. and the play-style of the class is very boring at low to mid levels which made doing some of the things seem very dull.

however i dont think those issues are from the story being bad in any way, i just think the shadow class is not very exciting to play until you get high level.

I'm burnt out on my original class. Thinking of doing Shadow or Assassin. I've yet to even barely play Republic side, and was thinking of going Shadow.

However, I remember some people telling me that the Consular storyline is absolutely atrocious and boring.

Not read the other comments, but I'll just tell you from my own experience ?

I think it starts off a bit slow, the story DOES improve though and DOES get better when you get into the higher levels more. Stick with it, and roll as a consular. Of course people who MIGHT SAY its boring might not like the style of the story at all, as it is basically based on diplomacy.

It's indeed based on diplomacy more. I liked being part of the grand political scheme of things, however, I feel that the story was more tailored to sages than shadows. As a Shadow, I almost never felt like some sort of Republic information agent, it was always about healing and helping the weaker.

I liked the story line of my Sorc more than my Sage, but the Sage one wasn't as boring as I heard. I didn't care for the second act though, but the third was pretty good. The second act bored me because it was run around and do this but once you do that, go do the same thing over here. The second act (if you plan on being evil) opens up a lot of dark options though. The third act had a nice twist, so it made it worth it. I was like ":O NO WAY" by the time it was over.

okay. so finished the storyline on my darkside Shadow and really disliked it.

I believe the two disparities are::

-It's a perfect storyline for a Sage, incredibly boring and off-point for a Shadow

-It is incredibly light-sided biased, so very frustrating to go through as darkside.

If I had rolled a lightside sage, this would've been an awesome storyline. The main prioblem is that the two AC's are so fundamentally different they would have to incorporate two seperate storylines to make everyone happy.

Really how could you guys like act 2 and 3?

The class quest is so plain boring and predictable.

Mostly about helping stupid people on different planets.

If you look at the mirror class inquisitors who have so much mystic and surprises in their class quest then consular class quest is a big joke.

I mean a 5 year old kid could write a more interesting class story.

I actually found it to be really good. I loved all the lore tidbits it had and well it was exactly what I was expecting jedi consular would be doing. Yes act1, makes more sense for a sage, but both sage and shadow still needed to learn the ritual so it's not like you healed them with some sage spells.

Anyway I played as shadow tank and I felt the storyline fit the class just fine. I can understand why some people might not like it but I think if you want to know the "whole story" about different planets and what is generally going on, then the consular story will be perfect you.

Edited by Zilkin

Really how could you guys like act 2 and 3?

The class quest is so plain boring and predictable.

Mostly about helping stupid people on different planets.

If you look at the mirror class inquisitors who have so much mystic and surprises in their class quest then consular class quest is a big joke.

I mean a 5 year old kid could write a more interesting class story.

Well funny you should say that because I personally found the consular story to be a lot better than the inquisitor story. Basically for me inq story starts really strong then becomes pretty poor before picking up again just before the end. Consular story just keeps getting better and better once you get started. That is just a personal opinion of course but I wanted to point out that inq story being better is not an undeniable fact.

I've done the whole Trooper story, and am on the first act of the consular story. The Consular act 1 feels bleh compared to Trooper. I'll continue talking in the spoiler tag since I will be revealing spoilers from the Trooper and Consular story.

As a Consular I'm going off to other planets to try to save ill Jedi masters, but to me they seem like random people that I've never met. Yuon was my master, and that's the only one that connected. Everything after that was me trying to heal people that I have never met. It's similar to the Trooper story in which I'm going out in search of people, but those people are directly tied to the events that happened on Ord Mantell. I met every single one of them, and even talked to them in Ord Mantell. So as I'm searching for them I am connected to the story because I'm hunting traitors that personally betrayed me on Ord Mantell.

Personally it felt it wasnt exciting at all, it may have ben effected by the planet design too, but just felt all over the place, Act One is by far the worst, Act two picks things up, but I got to 50 with the class then stopped.

The Sith are right calling us puppets of the council because that's exactly what Consulars are. My experiences may or may not have been effected by already having played through a level 50 Sith Warrior and Trooper.

Prologue - there's a quest chain to get you certified to lead Republic soldiers in battle. Awesome. Can't wait to see that.

Act I - Boring as all could be. Starting with Taris completely through Alderaan you are told anything that could've been a plot twist or secret as soon as you land on a new planet and use your holoterminal. By that I mean this:

Master Syo Bakarn: "Jedi, good to see you landed on X. You need to find Master Y because he/she is sick. There's a new group on X causing problem for the Republic. We suspect Master Y is behind them."

You: 1) "I will find them." -OR- 2) "How do you know it's Master Y?" -OR- 3) "It's probably a coincidence."

Master Syo Bakarn: "Their last transmission they said "the darkness is coming" so that's how."

OKAY THANKS YOU *********** IDIOT I COULDN'T HAVE GUESSED THAT, ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING IT'S THE SAME ON EVERY gosh darn PLANET!

Act I frustrated me. The predictability.... PLEASE NOTE: There is no connection between you and these Masters you are helping. As far as I know you never see them again. They all say they go back to the council, yet you never see them there. You may as well have been saving just a bunch of *********** crack addicts on the streets of Miami.

Still waiting to use that whole "lead Republic soldiers in battle" certification I fought for.

OKAY. Act II.. hoping for good things. First things first, I'm a Master all of a sudden? Cool, I guess. I certainly don't feel like it. Why? Because my first assignment as a Master isn't to teach an apprentice or anything - it's to enslave myself to the douchebags who call themselves the "Rift Alliance" while the Jedi Council I guess is just sitting in their chairs all day long waiting for me to give them a call informing them I single-handedly liberated a *********** planet from Sith occupation like it's no big deal, I do that **** every week.

STILL FLIPPIN WAITING TO LEAD REPUBLIC SOLDIERS. HELLO?!?!

Thanks Satele Shan. You know, Bastila was much more helpful. At least we could get to know her because she wasn't secluded in the damn council chambers 24/7. Dumb *****. You're the youngest member on the council ever I think? What in the world did you do that is so much better than what I have to do to become a Master/get on the council and sit on my *** all day? I really want to know why you're better than my consular.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since when does a Jedi Master do the bidding of a lowly private or *****y twilek ambassadors? Since when does a Sith Lord do the bidding of ANYONE besides his Sith superiors? Why are Jedi forced to kill things when the lore behind them is fight only when absolutely necessary or all the sabotage and **** Jedi don't do? The game makes no *********** sense.

Which brings me to my biggest gripe of this game: there is no sense of a war going on.

When does the war resume? Somewhere between level 1 and 50 the Treaty of Coruscant is obviously thrown out the window because you get to Quesh and all of a sudden the quest givers are talking about open-war tactics againt the Imperials/Republic. There is no cutscene or quest chain or any indication the war is officially back on. Nothing.

As such each player character is a walking god because each story and planet the player is the only reason the planet is liberated/occupied... walking around destroying "armies".

Literally like Balmorra you single-handedly liberate/occupy the *********** place. All these quest NPCs are like yeah we got attacked by a battalion of imperials and we need you to go out and kill 12 of them. Where the **** did the other 300-1200 soldiers go to?! Or any mission at the end of a planet when you attack the enemy's major base of operation and the quest givers always say you'll be supported by the army and whatever else they say and you NEVER see the army. How come we can't just see major battles going on in the scenic background while we fight our little skirmishes for the quests?

Or there's a quest on Alderaan for the Consulars where you are put into a negotiating situation for the lives of 300 hostages. They show a hologram of 5 of them and one guard. LOL. Okay, 295 are still missing? How do I know they are alive? If you choose to offer yourself for the lives of the hostages you are rescued by a whopping 3 of them. Where did the other 297 go? I don't even *********** count 300 NPCs in House Organa territory.

Every planet NPCs talk about hundreds or thousands of NPCs attacking them or standing against them in their strongholds and you never see them. It's retarded.

"Hey, um, yeah in their last stronghold there's this guy who we've tried to kill like 10 times in the past. While you're in there demolishing the entire place can you, um, you know, like kill him for us. THANKS!"

And every... ***********... planet you get quests that say, "ZOMGZ THESE ARE THE ENEMY'S GREATEST SOLDIERS/DROIDS/DEFENSES CAN YOU GO SOLO DESTROY THEM FOR US? AND BY THAT WE MEAN JUST *********** WALK RIGHT UP TO THEM WITH LITTLE OPPOSITION!" or my personal favorite: "THAT IMP BASE IS NIGH IMPENETRABLE AND OUR ENTIRE *********** ARMY FAILED TO GET IN THAT LITTLE DOOR THERE. CAN YOU GO IN THERE FOR US AND SABOTAGE THE ENTIRE BASE ON YOUR OWN? YOU KNOW THAT PLACE WHERE THE ENTIRE ARMY FAILED? KTHXBYE!"

Or, "If you do this we'll all by filthy rich!" and your reward is a suitcase of 2k credits.

Or you secure this uber-advanced technology that every NPC says will shift the balance between Imps and Pubs, yet... you never see that technology in action. EVER.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How come there is no continuation about of the Cult of Revan? How come we HAVE to fight Revan? How come we HAVE to fight Malgus? What if we agree with those people?

There is no choice in this game. All conversations lead you to the same end result: the quest is finished with the same rewards despite any and all "choices" you've made in dialogue.

SUMMARY about Consular's story: It's boring. You help a bunch of dumb *********** people on each planet who apparently are unable to help themselves, yet they can stand around ordering me to do **** for them. The story "arcs" are as predictable as a Rocky or Rambo movie. Our companions, in general, suck and are boring. Qyzen obviously took the **** you bat to the nuts from Bioware because he uses Aim and Techblades. Nadia Grell is the only redeeming companion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY about the game: Since this is already a giant singleplayer game with a chat box why did they not instance everything so you could witness actual Star Wars warfare like in the trailers and witness REAL assaults like the NPCs describe in quests and watch actual battles raging in the background on planets like Corellia or Balmorra? WHY THE **** DID BIOWARE NOT JUST RELEASE KOTOR *********** 3?!

Flame @ me. There's nothing more upsetting to me right now than coming home from Afghanistan just in time for the release of this game to discover it's a piece of **** and is backwards from the Star Wars universe. George Lucas, I hope, is throwing up everytime he thinks of this mess.

Edited by Nidous

JK story is YEAR better imho

I don't get it. What's there not to like about the Consular story? Ok, Its not so much about cutting your way through with a lightsaber. But to me its the beauty having the emphasis on the force. Just as Yoda put it once: "Rember, a jedis strengh flows from the force! " :)

Small spoiler ahead, but nothing revealing the story: I had such a bing grin in my face when my character rescued those people on Taris from the fire, hovering them into safty. Or when I decided to get into that room by just blasting a hole into that gate with a giantic force push. BAM! :) Or back on Coruscant when kicking that Siths ***! I was so sad that ther was no replay button! :D

Its the small things that count and at the end of the day, we all love the Jedi because they are simply cool, doing all of those impossible things with so much ease and elegance.

And what I specifically liked was the fact that you can really observe your character devloping more and more self confidence in the course of the plot, knowing that the force is is ally, "and a powerfull ally it is" ;)

I think bioware did a fantastic job, catching this sort of atmosphere in all of the jedi-campaings. The only thing I am not so happy about is the double lightsaber animations, but thats a whole different story (even though it also concerns the iconic coolness I just mentioned).

I also don't understand why people can say they dont feel involved or emotionally touched by their characters? I think the voice-acting and the dialogues are greate and do exactly that job. Maybe it loses a little in different translations?

The Consular story is not for the masses i guess.

Instead of trying to kill certain people or find traitors etc,you continuously look for answers and knowledge,new allies and investigating things that happen.

Imagine Obi-Wan from Star Wars ep 2. searching for answers about the clones,what purpose do they serve etc.

I loved the story,but as i said it's not for the masses.

On the other hand,what i didn't liked at all,were the companions and their stories.It seems to me that they were rushed into the game,trying to catch the deadline for the game's release.

You get your romance very late and even then,it seems even more rushed.

The main problem I have with the consular story line is that it doesn't make any sense as a dark side shadow, I'm constantly questioning why the council is okay with all the nasty things I have done

Me: "that person you sent me to save....yeah...I cut him in half with my lightsaber"

Council: "I'm sure it couldn't be helped"

Me: "O_o"

end of act 1 spoilers

Why the Christ did the Jedi Council make me a master? Surely they could sense the darkness flowing through me, I am not trying to hide the fact that I have been needlessly selfish, cruel and spiteful, and I have murdered everyone I have been sent to save ¬_¬

I am currently on Balmorra and I really don't have the drive to carry on, especially now I made a Bounty Hunter and I am much more interested with what's going on there.

Possibly the worst storyline in the entire game. Some like it, most dont. I was actually MUCH more interested in the world arcs than the story. Havent finished any of the other storylines but so far they are WAAAY better already. Unless the other storylines take a massive dump soon, my vote for the worst story in game goes to the Consular.

That said, not a bad ending for Consular. The whole Corellia chapter was pretty good, although very predictable.

Best story so far is the Smuggler, IMO. I heard JK was the best in Republic, though its mostly in Act 2 and 3 ... Act 1, though decent, isnt exactly epic and I agree. Whereas the Smuggler feels a lot like a space Indiana Jones, interesting characters, interesting scripts, events, etc ... not edge of your seat (none of them are IMO) but good enough to make you want to keep going.