Is the Consular storyline as boring as I've heard?

NEStheONE

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Consular story is not for the masses i guess.

Instead of trying to kill certain people or find traitors etc,you continuously look for answers and knowledge,new allies and investigating things that happen.

Imagine Obi-Wan from Star Wars ep 2. searching for answers about the clones,what purpose do they serve etc.

I loved the story,but as i said it's not for the masses.

On the other hand,what i didn't liked at all,were the companions and their stories.It seems to me that they were rushed into the game,trying to catch the deadline for the game's release.

You get your romance very late and even then,it seems even more rushed.

Episode 2's story suffered horribly because of big ham-fisted George.

Jedi sages and whatnot are not violent war criminals. They are diplomats and seekers of knowledge who want to use their powers and talents for the greater good.

So as far as I am concerned the Consular story is pretty decent because it reflects that. I still have to make some iffy choices at times and even when I go light the choices don't always set will with other NPCs.

The Republic are the underdogs who are just trying to survive while the Empire goes around crushing people into pulp and then shoveling the mess out into a trash bin. I think the Consular story reflects that rather well in several different layers.

Episode 2's story suffered horribly because of big ham-fisted George.

Can't disagree - Just pointing out some kind of resemblance with the Consular story.

Personally i became a fan of Star Wars through the KoToR games and NOT cause of the movies.

I found the story in KotoR 1 & 2 way better than the movies,which seem too childish for me(Jar Jar Binks,Anakin running(or fooling) around with Padme etc).

The games on the other hand,had darker stories with plot twists,more interesting characters and enviroments(Dantooine,Korriban).

Might be just me,dunno,but i would definately like to see a KoToR based Movie.

I'm burnt out on my original class. Thinking of doing Shadow or Assassin. I've yet to even barely play Republic side, and was thinking of going Shadow.

However, I remember some people telling me that the Consular storyline is absolutely atrocious and boring.

Someone set me straight!!! ...please? :D

it is not even close to boring

I LOVE the story. Being a honorable jedi and moving up the ranks and defending the universe from evil....Honestly I have played lots of characters and I really enjoy the Consular.

It is a nice change of pace from killing everyone and being evil. I think the Consular needs to be played Light side to get the most ourt of it...

Ch. 1 was boring enough that I seriously considered giving up on my JC. Most of Ch. 2 wasn't a lot better. The story finally picked up for me around Ch. 3, which means fortysomething levels of blah.

I will say, though, that I enjoyed most of my chapter end episodes, even the one from chapter 1. But BW could do better...and has with other classes.

Working on Act 3 for both Consular and Agent - the Consular starts off with a very sluggish pace by comparison.

Act 1 was unforgivably bad. What you have is a single mission, which is interesting by itself, but then repeated 4 times to fill up time. Every "boss" in Act 1 was a perfect stranger who I really didn't have any vested interest in. Act two isn't a great improvement, but it plays into the diplomatic aspect of Consulars more.

Agent, I have to say, is a superior experience - although that may have something to do with the fact that you are a normal, non-superpowered individual who does extraordinary things. Act 2 took an interesting turn by involving the player character in a very personal way, which the Consular story has not. It also has a plot device in Chapter 1 which feeds into Chapter 2 quite nicely, something that seems lacking with Consular.

It was alright. But I just started the Inquisitor story today and I have to say it is way better than the Consular story so far. Plus I see now what all the fuss is with playing an SI. It just feels a lot smoother and more powerful than when I was I low level JC.

Hate to say it, but everyone saying that the devs put more work into the Sith side than the Republic side, it seems true just from the past 2 hours I have played my new alt.

The prologue was great, it was my favorite rep story up to chapter 1.

Chapter 1 gets dull pretty fast, its coruscant repeated 4 times - it just completely outstays it welcome.

Chapter 2 was ... meh. Pretty forgetable.

Chapter 3 is great so far (just finished voss). Pity it took so long to get back on track.

I wouldn't roll a consular for the story (theres better), is a fun class to play though.

Working on Act 3 for both Consular and Agent - the Consular starts off with a very sluggish pace by comparison.

Act 1 was unforgivably bad. What you have is a single mission, which is interesting by itself, but then repeated 4 times to fill up time. Every "boss" in Act 1 was a perfect stranger who I really didn't have any vested interest in. Act two isn't a great improvement, but it plays into the diplomatic aspect of Consulars more.

Agent, I have to say, is a superior experience - although that may have something to do with the fact that you are a normal, non-superpowered individual who does extraordinary things. Act 2 took an interesting turn by involving the player character in a very personal way, which the Consular story has not. It also has a plot device in Chapter 1 which feeds into Chapter 2 quite nicely, something that seems lacking with Consular.

Agents are not even remotely normal. They are exceptional already for some reason otherwise they would not make it into Imperial Intelligence and most ertainly would not draw the attention of a Darth. Normal people do not make it into the IIA.

Furthermore right at the start you get told you are chosen because of your very good results in tests so if anything as a non force sensitive the IA is exceptional.

As to the Consular story, it starts ok, gets a bit weak, Act 2 is nice but a bit brief. Wished they would have limited act 1 to save only 2-4 masters instead of 5 and focused more on the diplomacy part in act 2. I really liked act 3 though.

Edited by Vales

Yeah, this is my first Republic story (50 Sorc / 50 Sniper / 20 Merc) and I'm to Taris now (which by the way, seeing Taris on Republic just feels strange.... its so sunny outside...) and... right now I feel like "Really? Look at me go across the galaxy curing these losers..." Of course I'm having tons of enjoyment being a complete B$#%* DS Shadow to everyone so THAT is amusing, but the actual class story itself seems meh... but Shadow is fun to play, and I really enjoy tanking with the Shadow so far so there ya go.

But for the record, Imperial Agent Story is AMAZING. PERIOD.

• 1 month later...

I thought it was well-written and had deep aspects to it that I have yet to see in the JK story line.

Maybe it's because of my profession and what I do for a living, but I thought the JC story was very well written. It didn't depend on a lot of flash and bang and excitement. There was an actual story there with different facets and elements working together.

Bottom line, I thought it was very well written.

I thought the prologue and Act 1 were not so good.

Act 2 and 3, though, were among the best in the game. I've played SI/JK/SW to 50 and I think JC is as good as the JK story.

The SI/SW stories just didn't have any meaning to them beyond the player, while the events of the JK/JC had true galactic importance that made their Sith counterparts just look like selfish brats, which I suppose was intentional.

The JC story in Act 2/3 also had 2 of the most poignant scenes I've seen in SWTOR this far:

on Belsavis:

After you find the dead bodies of the survey team slaughtered by the Major, the lady you first meet shoots out the camera and warns you. When you turn to leave, she wishes you luck and says she has to collect the ID cards of her friends, so the enemies don't use them. As you leave, you turn around and see her slowly sink to the floor, staring at the bodies of her friends with such a feeling of loss. Heart breaking.

After Belsavis:

After you find Nadia's father, tortured to death and deal with Stark, Nadia goes back and stands over her dead father, apologizing for being late, and asking him to watch over her, because she still needs him. Then she asks you to help her carry him back to the ship, because he's to heavy for her to lift alone. I felt so sad for her - she's not that strong and that's a heavy blow for a young girl who adored her father.

I just don't remember any moments like that in the other stories.

So, I guess the JC story is more lilke "The Pianist" and a lot less like "Transformers".

Not great but still better than JK. At least you feel like a Jedi (JK doesn't), though the story itself can be boring.

Dialogues are definietly miles ahead of JK.

Edited by Kozor

My Marauder is level 36 and I don't even remember what the story was about so it obviously wasn't compelling, my sorc is level 30 and I'm searching for some relics of some old dead due, yay. My Jk is level 22 and what was I doing again?

At least I paid attention during the jc storyline im level 27 and yes as previously mentioned the act 1 arc is repetitive and now at least I'm close to finished with this healing arc i hope and get ready for things to pick up. At least I feel like I'm making a diffefence

I'm only in the later part of act 1, but so far I've found it pretty good. Don't understand why it gets so much hate.

I guess it's repetive, but hunting down all those corrupted jedi masters was fun. Many of them were intriguing characters too.

Consular is a bore and its broken in several areas. Im currently submitting tickets for the "Shattering" misson. My Imperial IA quest line was brilliant. TOo bad shes stuck on a fail server with about 5 other players and we have no server mergers.

I loved my consular story even the 3rd time through. That said, it simply is not as well done as the Smuggler story which I can personally attest to. All the tools are in place to make it a great story, but BW just dropped the ball when they spoonfed you several of the major storyline revelations dropping hint after hint to let you know it was coming. By contrast the Smuggler plotline gets routinely slammed in the face with twists and turns, especially towards the end, in which you had no clue what was going to happen next. It just makes for an overall more interesting and gripping story. Edited by Khadroth

It's a pretty good story, very befitting of the Jedi actually.

Diplomacy and getting groups to work together for a bigger cause is one of the themes here in this story.

People just want to hack and slash and destroy/save the galaxy etc and be a hero.

However, life isnt always like that.

There are different ways to accomplish the same goals.

I do like the JC story.