Is the Consular storyline as boring as I've heard?

NEStheONE

As I jut wrote in a different thread - it's not a great story, but it gets better with level progression. Chapter 1 is bad, but when you're in the middle of chapter 2 it starts to get interesting and chapter 3 is really good. It is however a story of a serving Jedi who does good deeds and focuses on politics and negotiations - you have to bear that in mind when you're selecting a JC.

I'm lvl 50 and I'm gonna re-roll as a Chiss Inquisitor after Legacy comes out. I really enjoy the mechanics of a Shadow tank :).

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a story.

Story's appeal to some, and to others they don't.

If looking for lost Jedi Knowledge interests you. Then it's for you.

The role of the Jedi Consular is to search for Wisdom, Knowledge and to protect it.

So, whatever you've heard, they're just oppinions, they vary.

To find if something is for you, you must try it before you make a judgement...

May the Force be with you, Jedi.

The Jedi Consular is, hands down, the worst story line in the game. Trying to call it intriguing is clinging to a sinking ship. Try the Imperial Agent story line. THAT'S intrigue. Not this garbage. Sadly, it is far too late to rewrite the story line. I recommend the space bar on your keyboard. It will save you hours of play time... and agony.

I love the JC storyline, i mean if your looking for a hack and slash lets go kill em all type of story line then no it's probably not for you but the story reflects what the class is supposed to be..a negotiator, a diplomat and I find it enjoyable to play a character who can find ways of helping the Galaxy without resorting to blind violence ALL the time. Still lots of fighting but you can talk your way out of a lot of it too.

The third chapter is definitely the best though.

I would say dont listen to all the comments.

Each people has their own taste. The majority of the world consider Picasso's paintings are a car crash, however some consider it highly valuable. Similar here the majority are idiot all brawn no brains ****** hacking and slashing, while some enjoy being a diplomat, working behind the scene fixing stuff instead of run through things with your blaster or lightsaber.

So you should try it; and i do mean really try it; watch the scene cause i know a lot of idiot only able to press "space-bar" then if you dont like it just stop.

Its the dullest storyline I've ever suffered through in the game. It really wanted to be a fun 'indy' style archeology/diplomacy storyline but It just falls painfully short almost all the time. Other classes I've played through multiple times and still held my interest. Consular is hard to even get through the prologue on, let alone act 1. (To be fair, the prologues on most Republic lines are pretty dull)

If it at least gave you some fun dialogue options or more interesting companions early on it could have been tolerable. Sadly, the only character I even vaguely liked was the sidekick of one of the companions. I didnt even like my own consular. (My wife's consular I like a little more, but only because he can pull off 'fortune cookie' dialogue most of the lines consist of.)

I will give credit for one thing though. Your character will pull off some visually spectacular moves during cutscenes. They put alot of love into those. You'll have alot of 'wow I'm powerful' moments while watching those.

But overall it falls short when compared to most of the other plotlines. Especially Sith Inquisitor which hits many of the same story themes far more interestingly. Including being a light side diplomatic type who doesnt favor violence.

I've tried on multiple occasions to give consular another shot with fresh eyes hoping to find that certain something that will really change my mind about the class without success.

Obviously the above is just my opinion. Your milage may vary.;)

I like the story.

Act 1 was what you would expect of a Jedi to do. Save the Jedi and try to figure out who is behind it.

Act 2 is the kind of diplomacy stuff you expect a Jedi Master to do. It was kind of dull at the first, but picked up at the end.

I am still on Act 3, but I think I figured out who the bad guy is. I would like to get the title General due to having my own army.

In all it is what I expect of a Jedi.

My Knight is only level 10, but so worry the the story for it will be mostly 'Go here and beat up/save that guy'. Up to level 10, I really didn't feel like a Jedi, just someone with a glow stick hitting people.

I don't agree for the bashing of Chapter 1 of the Consular story in general.

Most boring quest for a Consular is Chapter 2 which is just a grinder, but it does end in nice fashion. Chapter 3 is simply a blast.

Chapter 1 has the surprise element as much as 3, and is pretty interesting.

As I state in other posts I give Consular story 8.5/10

6.5/10 = Chapter 1

5.5/10 = Chapter 2

9/10 = Chapter 3

I think there were some short falls in the 1st chapter with its repetitive sequences. Easily could have been made better with some more hidden knowledge seeking; this pieve of knowledge will turn the tide, get it before someone else does etc. I think they did miss out on what should have been the backbone of the consular story which IMO is knowledge seeking. Always seeking knowledge to better oneself in the Force, gain more power, and so on. We should be constantly skirting the Dark Side. Our paths should lead us to the door step of the Dark Side and back again. Heck, we should know just as much about the Dark Side as the Sith do. That is the conflict. Constantly making decisions on one's own path, knowledge, whats best for the Jedi, etc. Is the Dark Side more powerful in the end? Is the Light Side more inherently powerful? Is to be Gray the Way? Can one truly know the Dark Side and continue the walk of a Jedi? Chapters 2 and 3 were good based on the plot twists rather than the core of the Consulars path. I think future story lines should focus on the aforementioned points.

It's a story.

Story's appeal to some, and to others they don't.

If looking for lost Jedi Knowledge interests you. Then it's for you.

The role of the Jedi Consular is to search for Wisdom, Knowledge and to protect it.

So, whatever you've heard, they're just oppinions, they vary.

To find if something is for you, you must try it before you make a judgement...

May the Force be with you, Jedi.

See but that's exactly where it falls short. What you expect is not what you get in many cases.

Looking for lost Jedi Knowledge? Nope.

The closest you get is noeticon hunting on coruscant, which amounts to nothing more than roughing up gangs to make them hand it over. In fact never again after Coruscant do you touch on anything related to gaining "Jedi" knowledge.

The role of a Jedi Consular is to search for Wisdom, Knowlege and protect it. Close but again it falls short of what it should be due to all the hand-holding.

Most of the truth-hunting throughout the chapters deals with other events, like the Esh-Kha or the Voss revelation, which admittedly are the story's strong points. However the vast majority of your time is spent in a detective role. Rather than protecting knowledge from the Sith, you wind up beating down puppeted masters to get closer to a plaguemaster (who's identity the player is already well aware of if they've been paying attention to anything said, long before the character played is) or rooting out Children of the Emperor while running missions for the Rift Alliance.

The consular story is strong in diplomacy as it should be, but it's weak when it comes to the detective aspects meant to represent the Shadow, as most confrontations have long drawn out approaches making everything predictable and almost anti-climactic. It's most gripping moments are the appearance of Stark or betrayal of the Rift Alliance member, because you don't have them telegraphed far in advance. I'm to the point that I'd say the story's diplomatic aspects bleed too far into it's detective scenes, as the consular is portrayed as far too cautious and droll rather than cavalier and curious like someone hunting down conspiritors or investigating unknown and potentially heretical force mysteries should be. Then again it could just be because those aspects of the story aren't made to be very gripping.

Edited by Khadroth

I played a Sith Assassin before rerolling to a Jedi Shadow to play with friends.

I loved the JC storyline so much more than the SI it's not even funny. I won't spoil anything, but the SI one just didn't have me hooked on anything, it felt like you were researching more than actually fighting anything. The JC story is a lot more exciting and interesting. I even liked Chapter 1 and most people thought that was the worst part!

Jorus' post mirrors my own feelings. I have a number of characters at various levels right now. However, I have a Sage (teamed up) and a Shadow (solo) that I share playing time on. SW MMO is new for me and I'm enjoying the entire storyline. I was 17 when SW first came out and I've loved the universe since. I'm thoroughly enjoying the game play and storyline. Oops...I just dated myself. :D Anyway, I'm having a blast and for me, that's what matters the most.

Edited by Ghost_Spectre

I have to admit that I'm not enthralled by the storyline so far (just finished act 1).

That said, I generally don't play MMOs for the storyline so that doesn't bother me.

I can tell though, they someone put a lot of effort into making a storyline in a genre that typically has none, so I applaud that effort.

its really interesting, the sage seeks out knowledge and uses the force, and diplomacy to end conflicts, were as the shadow strikes targets covertly.

The story is built to fit into both of these descriptions. I played sage, and loved it - but as a shadow I can see how things wouldn't line up.

The shadow is either a dps, or tank.......jedi knight is dps, or tank....if you want the star wars feel of the game, roll a jedi knight...i promise you that you will get that feeling of saving the galaxy.

At the same time, i loved the jedi consular's story, but its different, you feel more like support than the front line man charging in.

My assessment of the consular story:

Act I - pretty godaweful boring

Act II - starting to get me increasingly interested

Act III - completely engrossed and fascinated by it

As always, YMMV, but that's my $0.02.

I just started a Shadow to make a tank; In Act 1 and feel bored with it so far; but I think a lot of Act 1s from what I read and have experienced are similar.

my previous toons:

50 Jugg and 50 Marauder

Act 1: Mediocre

Act 2: Starting to look good, piqued my interest

Act 3: AMAZING!!!!

50 Sentinel

Act 1: blah

Act 2: OK

Act 3: Wrapped up nicely enough, but not nearly as good as SW

38 Sniper

Act 1: OK

Act 2: Seems like its getting good

Act 3: ? But I hear its amazing

32 Sorcerer:

Act 1: kind of cool

Act 2: Damn good

Act 3: ? Heard it finishes nicely enough but could have been better

Bottom line, I noticed and have heard/read that empire story lines are much better, or more interesting to the majority (obviously some will feel otherwise). I almost feel like the devs spent a lot of time making Empire story, armor, abilities cool and such and then wrapped up Republic side really fast to make it ready for an earlier release date than it should have. This could also be because the Empire in general is full of more political positioning, backstabbing, moral ambiguity, etc.

Acts 2 and 3 of a consular story are where it gets interesting. Act 1 is pretty boring and other than 1 person I didn't really care about the other people I was trying to save and ended up only saving them anyways for light side points more than the tenderness of my heart.

The Prologue is atrocious. A crazy twilek with force powers and delusions of grandeur are seriously the best they could come up with? At least the Jedi Knight Prologue is better. A crazy Nautolan with force powers and delusions of....wait....it's basically the same thing. *Facepalm*

Best to worse storylines republic wise

1. Trooper

2. Smuggler

3. Knight

4. Consular

I'm not going to lie, I'm a noob in this game, but with the Consular, this is how I've been seeing it. It starts off pretty awesome, then when you're on the planet Thython, it gets to be pretty long until you finally get your saber. Then after that it starts picking up and it's pretty awesome again.

Act-1 Terrible,poor story,very boring

Go to Taris a Jedi Master has turned evil,you must fight him by yourself even though you have just became a Jedi...Quick go to Nar Shaddaa another Master turned...Guess what?Go to Tattoine another one bits the dust!...Go to alderaan,you know the drill.And then theres the massive hole in the story about sacrificing your strength to cure other masters...uhmm yeah those desicions where so important and really influence the story!!:eek:

Act-2 Pretty fun.A big improvement from act 1 anyway,kept me interested,actually made sense and gave a sense of you actually doing something big.

Act-3 Epic.Worth pushing through act one to get to it.

Putting together your own army to save the republic?Awesome.Destroying the empire sleeper cells((children)) that have been hiding in the republic and jedi order?Pretty cool.Killing the first son and saving the republic from utter destruction.Epic

Overall the story is good.But in my opinion whoever wrote act one shouldn't write another story...ever :D

I thought the Jedi Consular storyline was absolutely great.

(I'll do my best to do this without spoilers)

Act I

Lots of people have complained that this act was boring and repetitive, but I loved it. I liked the buildup, and I liked the fact that you are putting the story together while averting several disasters. I thought the link between the victims and the twist at the end of the act was very well done. A nice appetizer.

Act II

This act was great because it was completely different from act I, but it felt very valid and important. the story flow made sense to the overall war effort and the decisions you had to make had a lot of diplomacy weaved into them which is exactly what I expect the Consular to do. Again, nice twist at the end.

Act III

This is the act everyone loved so much and while I agree it was really good, it was the only act that I thought had a weak/uninspired planet plotline involved in it. However, the things that happen on that planet tie nicely into the rest of the act. This act was definitely more about charging through the battlefield like a beacon of hope and light emerging from the shadows. Again, a completely different vibe than the 1st two acts and a welcome change of pace.

I think the main reason a lot of people don't like this story is because it appeals to a different type of player but to me that's the beauty of it. I love the fact that there are different playstyles and storylines for different types of players. Nice job Bioware.

Having played the Sith Inquisitor storyline first, then coming and playing the Jedi Consular storyline, I can honestly say I was a bit disappointed with it.

Stage One: Fix all of the people! But it's effecting me, too! How ever shall I do this job, and not lose myself to the insanity as well?

Solution: Ask a big, old computer really nicely to reboot my genetics. Thanks, Master Control!

Stage Two: Now we move on to learning about the Children of the Emperor. Oh noes! Badguys all around? Well, strap yerselves in, folks! It's gonna be a bumpy night.

Solution: Nope. It wasn't.

Stage Three: The Galactic NATO! Oh yeah, and the occasional Child of the Emperor, too.

Solution: Kill My Master, and Take His Place at the Emperor's side. Except, by Emperor, I mean some twit I get elected. And by elected, I mean they just kinda hold up a hand and say, "Yeah, sure. I'll do it."

ROLL CREDITS!

<insert the stuff after the credits, for Free Play mode>

Summary:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/173/576/Wat8.jpg?1315930535

I love the JC storyline, i mean if your looking for a hack and slash lets go kill em all type of story line then no it's probably not for you but the story reflects what the class is supposed to be..a negotiator, a diplomat and I find it enjoyable to play a character who can find ways of helping the Galaxy without resorting to blind violence ALL the time. Still lots of fighting but you can talk your way out of a lot of it too.

The third chapter is definitely the best though.

Have to agree with you Jet :)

Anyone who expected an action movie plot from a Consular may have missed the point of their calling.