Lack of communication is unprofessional

Demorgoth

I know the game isn't officially out in Australia but this was smack bang in middle of Sat night prime-time play for us. maintenance was at 7pm, which it is every week, but never expected it to happen on Saturday Night.

I was playing the game, not monitoring the website to see if there was going to be maintenace on a Sat night.

Maybe one day if/when it is released here officially they will take notice of us as well. I know there are way more Aussies playing than they probably thoght there would be and it was pretty inconvienient.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, I agree with you completely.

BW has dropped the ball in terms of connecting in a meaningful way with their customers. It especially sucks for you Europeans. :(

Here's hoping they wake up and some of this feedback lights a fire under them that the customers want better communication from them....especially about unscheduled maintenance.

I for one am more perplexed by the forums we communicate through. You see I'm much more single-player focused gamer so usually when I buy a game I know it will stay the same every time I play it (untill the disc gets scratched). So the idea of shouting at the developers to change things about a game seems foreign and even a little backwards to me. Personally I've never seen nor been in a situation where screaming at the guy fixing the thing he made for you makes them fix it better. I realize many are upset that bio-ware isn't using the forums as they should, but perhaps it's also in part the fact that what feels like half of the threads are essentially parroting the same few complaints. These copy paste threads force down fresh threads, and frankly make these forums unpleasant to read and visit. Edited by Chocbo

Can you (or anyone) name 3 games that actually do what you suggest?

WoW

Even 2nd Genesis

(former) SWG

Rift

LoTRo

STO

Want more?

As a EU player. I barely notice they are down. Sometimes perhaps, in case of emergencies, but not often.

I've had more noticable downtime with SWTOR in the last month then with Eve in the early years (maint. allways around noon EU time, even weekends) for example.

Five hours is not a generous window of notice, and for that we apologize. In this instance, we updated with the precise timing as soon as we could, but we'll strive to improve.

Lols. During the first summer of Lotro, Turbine would give us 15 minutes notice for an "emergency" downtime and maintainance for crucial patches. 15 if we were lucky.

5 hours is fine....:D

My larger problem is that it didn't seem like an emergency maintence. Plus the misleading topic title. My guild was getting ready to run flashpoints. The fact that is caught ALL of us by surprise should say something.

Furthermore, looking at these patch notes

"Improved service to reduce the number of player disconnections to the character selection screen. "

"Improving" something doesn't sound like an emergency. When people are exploiting something and making a million credits in an hour, that's an emergency. This seems like a quality of life issue. Maybe the notes are just poorly written, but again this goes back to poor communication. Bioware still needs to work on communication. Really, we are passed release. Just give us clear simple information. No one likes surprises like this.

I just cancelled my subscription and my girlfriends too. I'll come back in 6 months or a year if I hear better news about their communication with customers. and they should at least have the big bugs fixed by then....

Do the same with your internet provider. Because you aren't getting what you are paying for I guarantee it. With that said, try to do that with everything you feel shorted on in life. At 2 cents an hour, you are being robbed man.

Do the same with your internet provider. Because you aren't getting what you are paying for I guarantee it. With that said, try to do that with everything you feel shorted on in life. At 2 cents an hour, you are being robbed man.

LOL

Yo, fact of the matter is, you can not please everyone.

Ever know that guy that everyone says, "You just can't please him..."? Well, he plays MMOs and he might just be the OP.

People always, ALWAYS find something to female dog about.

Generally speaking, we try and ensure all required maintenance happens during our weekly maintenance period, but this was one situation where we had to move forward quickly; to not do so could have led to severe performance issues across the service as a whole.

State this next time and all this belly acheing is solved.

Everyone was up in arms because the fix sounded trivial and something that could have easily been rolled into the Tuesday maintenance.

Players aren't completely stupid and there is no way a game would come down at weekend peak times for something so trivial so all kinds of conspiracy theories developed.

If its a fix to an issue that is only going to get worse and affect server performance then state so people would be far more understanding of this.

Every MMO is guilty of treating the players like they are dumb lets end that trend.

OMG! THEY TOOK DOWN THE SERVERS AT 2AM CST!?!?!? THATS LIKE PEEK HOURS! THEY SCREWED EVERYONE!

Really?

Lets look at time zones..

2AM CST?

3amEST

1AM mountain time

12midnight WST

---

I can see people in mountain time and the west coast getting upset.

but east and central? Really? Its like 2am. I think there were single digits in voss that night.

State this next time and all this belly acheing is solved.

Everyone was up in arms because the fix sounded trivial and something that could have easily been rolled into the Tuesday maintenance.

Players aren't completely stupid and there is no way a game would come down at weekend peak times for something so trivial so all kinds of conspiracy theories developed.

If its a fix to an issue that is only going to get worse and affect server performance then state so people would be far more understanding of this.

Every MMO is guilty of treating the players like they are dumb lets end that trend.

Right, you know what patch notes are, right?

They are not an essay on the deeper background of a patch and why potentially it was considered to be done?

Patch notes are supposed to be brief and give you an idea what was done/fixed/changed.

If you require to read up on the background motivation of a patch, try the Dev Tracker... oh, and look, there is actually a posting by Stephen Reid explaining things!

And as a note to all us Europeans:

from the same posting by Stephen Reid:

'To those of you in Europe, I want you to know that we'll be discussing maintenance windows and how we can improve their timing this coming week. We may not have an update immediately (and not before the scheduled maintenance on January 31st) but we have been paying attention to your opinions.'

Well, let's wait and see! :)

Five hours is not a generous window of notice, and for that we apologize. In this instance, we updated with the precise timing as soon as we could, but we'll strive to improve.

Well, Bioware is new to MMOs, you'll get the hang of it eventually.

I'm sure the patch was important in your mind. But closing down the servers on a saterday morning does NOT go down well AT ALL.

Right now, you are losing points. Not just with the very, very annoying extra downtimes, but also with the nerfs of slicing and biochem, both skills of which you knew the effects when you went live. You are losing points with a very unforgiving audience, except with some 100.000 (very vocal)fanbois. And you ar elosing them in a very, very competitive market.

You may say you are in it for the long run, but there is no long run if you don't get it right FAST. Everyone that tries this game (and your PR campaign ensures ALOT of people did) and leaves it, is hard to get back.

the idea of shouting at the developers to change things about a game seems foreign and even a little backwards to me.

Euh... we are yelling because we couldn't play the game... that is not the same as ''change things''.

Hey everyone; I appreciate everyone's views on this topic and I can understand the feelings being expressed here.

Our Live team took the decision to roll out today's 1.1.0c patch during Friday night/Saturday morning with the knowledge that it would affect a higher than usual number of players. Unfortunately, we had to make changes that required server downtime. The Live team felt those changes were urgently required and that was why the maintenance was scheduled. Generally speaking, we try and ensure all required maintenance happens during our weekly maintenance period, but this was one situation where we had to move forward quickly; to not do so could have led to severe performance issues across the service as a whole.

I want to address a couple of other points from the OP:

This is a little inaccurate. I'm not sure where your timing comes from, but our original post regarding the downtime was posted at 5:10PM CST (Austin time). At that point, we were unsure of the start time for the maintenance so posted without it. The post was updated with the exact timing of the maintenance at 8:54PM CST, which would give just over five hours notice of the exact timing.

Overall, this is a fair point. Generally speaking, every Friday we post details of our upcoming maintenance period to give plenty of advance notice. Because of the timing of this patch, we thought it might be easier to roll both notices into one. We didn't feel the ambiguity was too extreme, as the upcoming patch was detailed up front, but I can see how it might have confused some. We'll improve.

As stated, the patch was deemed necessary and urgent enough to be rolled out on a Friday night/Saturday morning (Austin time). We didn't take this lightly, and don't expect or wish it to be a regular occurrence.

To those of you in Europe, I want you to know that we'll be discussing maintenance windows and how we can improve their timing this coming week. We may not have an update immediately (and not before the scheduled maintenance on January 31st) but we have been paying attention to your opinions.

Thanks again for the feedback - it helps us know where to improve.

Now, if only we could get BioWare to address the lack of communication to the players in general as opposed to a specific incident...

I have to thank Bioware for stopping my Saturday daytime gametime. I went out, met some friends at the pub that I game with most nights. We all agreed BW and Star Wars are not worth the crap service atm and restarted our EQ2 subs and all cancelled Star Wars.

Now we're happy customising our UI, enjoying zero ability delays, and more importantly enjoying better graphics.

Thank you Bioware and your ignorant yank gamers.

Edited by despach

To those of you in Europe, I want you to know that we'll be discussing maintenance windows and how we can improve their timing this coming week. We may not have an update immediately (and not before the scheduled maintenance on January 31st) but we have been paying attention to your opinions.

Our opinions? You guys really need to take a look at your wording before you post. I have the highest respect for Bioware over the years but let me put this bluntly for you, you're on thin ice here. This launch has not been smooth and our gameplay is marred by bugs and glitches on an hourly basis.

The fact that you took the servers down MID DAY on SATURDAY in the UK and Europe is inexcusable. This isn't a matter of opinion. Get a separate update team for the European servers as soon as possible - its just not acceptable to do this kind of thing, how can you offer a game worldwide and then cater exclusively to the US timetable?

you dont miss out on 2 days a week though.. you miss out on really a MAX of 16 hours to maybe 24 if you include all of the other updating they need to do... stop inflating numbers to making bioware look worse.

Yes, we do. Two DAYS. As in DAYTIME.

Unless you're seriously saying it's our own fault for not all living to a US timezone and sleeping during the day and playing all night?

OMG! THEY TOOK DOWN THE SERVERS AT 2AM CST!?!?!? THATS LIKE PEEK HOURS! THEY SCREWED EVERYONE!

Really?

Lets look at time zones..

2AM CST?

3amEST

1AM mountain time

12midnight WST

---

I can see people in mountain time and the west coast getting upset.

but east and central? Really? Its like 2am. I think there were single digits in voss that night.

ERm - you do realise this game is released in europe.

You know, that place thats between 5 and 8 hours the other way. Where its throughout the entire day time?

ERm - you do realise this game is released in europe.

You know, that place thats between 5 and 8 hours the other way. Where its throughout the entire day time?

You do realise that BW considered that emergency action?

If you'd been having trouble logging in would you still be sitting here shouting at BW for doing the patching?

Or would you rather be shouting at them to 'Solve this! Now!' if they had gone 'well, it can wait until next maintenance cycle'.

And yes, I'm in Europe, I am in the UK, I don't work on a Saturday, so I don't really have an excuse not to play SWTOR on Saturday... except I was actually out and about and at the movies without even knowing about the patching :eek:

In short: sometimes **** happens! You just have to find a new pair of panties/boxers/briefs/shorts, etc. to wear.