Lack of communication is unprofessional

Demorgoth

ok now

Did Bioware realise that it was *********** bloody 7pm on a saturday night in Australia when this **** happened. Ofcourse, they dont even *********** apologise to us in the *********** post do they. Man, I really keep forgiving Bioware for their ****** treatment of oceanics but everytime they do some **** like this, it just drives me insane. Im pissed off with myself for putting up with this ****, but damnit its Star Wars. When the game was announced , I wanted to buy it because it was Bioware + Star WArs,.... Now its just Star Wars

You're getting your own servers soon, and an official launch. If Bioware finds a way to seperate downtimes for US and EU, chances are they'll give you oceanics the same from the start... we're your extended beta.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does the fact that the server went down really deserve this much rage. From the orignal post I am quessing that they did give a warning just not 2hrs, How much time do you need to log off? and as for "I think it's happened to me twice, I wasted 30s logging back in each time" 30s is not a lot of time, perhaps you meant 30mins because complaining about 30s of your life is a bit weird. when the servers where down I went for run and watched some telly, instead of gaming, just find something else to do in the meantime. but yeah they could have communicated more, but bombarding them with questions and shouting at them isn't going to make things move any faster.

they really do not have to apologize for anything, you are NOT promised 24/7/365 uptime, NO ONE CAN PROMISE THAT

does the timing suck, sure, but that is life, deal with it, I didn't get to play Saturday morning, I moved on with my day,

you pay, say 15 dollars a month, that is about 50 cents a day, that is about 0.16 cents for 8 hours of downtime, if that hurts you so much, play something else, maybe any game that requires the internet is not for you perhaps??

Do you lose power at home, and then come here and tell BW that you lost power and it was unacceptable for you to not be able to play the game during that time???????

I am glad they patch and update when needed

I just wish they would fix the bugs as fast as they send infraction notices to you about posts that "hurted" some child, read "adult with very thin skin" feelings and now he wants to cry

They can bring the server a week down for what i care as long as the issues are getting fixed so i can start raiding without issues, cant believe there's people crying if they take em down to make things better ...

If its down you can do other stuff , or is it just the no lifers that start crying ?

BIOWARE , TAKE EM DOWN AS MUCH AS YOU WANT , ON WHAT TIME YOU WANT !

As long as the bugs get fixed and they do , you wont hear the normal people complain

Let the care bears cry and the trolls troll

Greetz from Europe

Edited by Anuniaki

At least when this happened in wow the CR team was dispatched to keep posting "I'm sorry" in threads complaining about downtime. then again most unexpected downtime in wow was given notice ~1hr after it started...

so at least BW is still attempting to notify beforehand.

Blizzard CMs don't communicate with the users unless its some retarded hug a blood elf thread. Any serious problems you wont hear a peep out of Blizzard, unless its been cleared by PR/Marketing, and then you wont get any answer out of them except some FOX News style spin.

First thanks bioware for closing my thread redirecting me here. Effective way to minimize criticism and alienate your customers.

Unscheduled downtime definetly deserves compensation since i pay for this product. It's just that simple. All who disagree can can keep that opinion to themselves. This isnt a discussion about should or should not, this just is.

And for all that think this post http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=242968 is an appropriate way to announce an unscheduled 6 hour(not 4 hour like it says in the post) server down, on a freaking saturday, you are a moron.

And as far as i can see that post was made a few hour into the serverdown.

And for all those that say, these things just happend and its nobodys fault.

1. BioWare should stand by their product.

2. Poppatches fixes glitches made by previous patches that should have been discoved in testing; by BioWare.

3. If that is your opinion fine, be a moron. But don't don't argue OPINION against me, argue facts. Keep your opinion to yourself and possibly your mother that pays your subscription.

Lastly, Twitter is not an official announcement channel. Don't even pretent that it's ok to make communityposts there.

Nope. I'm slightly disgruntled because I had no forewarning of a maintenance period at all.

Stephen was claiming we had about 5 hours notice, but that really wasn't the case for many people in Europe. I pointed this out, and suggested (quite strongly) that they improve their procedures for this type of maintenance in the future.

What do you want, a personal phone call? The warning was up hours before the downtime and it isn't Bioware's fault that you didn't see it. I very highly doubt that they knew about the downtime so far in advance that everyone would have been mollified by the warning but they waited to put it up just to give EU players the shaft.

People really need to calm down with all the doom and gloom conspiracy theories. Big brother Bioware isn't out to ruin your day, I promise. Relax people...its not the end of the world.

What do you want, a personal phone call? The warning was up hours before the downtime and it isn't Bioware's fault that you didn't see it. I very highly doubt that they knew about the downtime so far in advance that everyone would have been mollified by the warning but they waited to put it up just to give EU players the shaft.

People really need to calm down with all the doom and gloom conspiracy theories. Big brother Bioware isn't out to ruin your day, I promise. Relax people...its not the end of the world.

A personal phone call would be lovely, are you volunteering to offer that service? :)

But seriously, the warning was up during the period most of the EU was in bed asleep. For us, this was as much use as a chocolate teapot as it was effectively no notice at all, and this IS Bioware's fault because they chose both the time of posting, and the time of the maintenance, with the full knowledge of what other timezones their subscribers are in.

In the end it comes down to this inconsistency:

If it was an 'emergency' maintenance, why did Bioware wait for several hours before taking the servers down?

If it was not an 'emergency' maintenance, why did Bioware not allow for a more adequate notice period for all of their subscribers?

We do agree on at least one thing, this is not the end of the world. I'm sure that everyone at Bioware is trying to do their best for the game, and for the players. I'm certainly not going to cancel over something this small, but neither am I going to stop asking questions where Bioware's actions and statements don't make sense, nor stop offering criticism where I think it is warranted.

I understand the frustration, but this wasn't something anyone wanted to do! It was a EMERGENCY! It sucks the EU got affected but it's better then all players getting affected by the bug!

The patch would've passed QA and been ready for deployment before they confirmed the upcoming downtime, which apparently happened at 5pm CST.

They brought the severs down to apply the patch at 2am CST, nearly 9 hours later.

If it was a caps-and-bold-requiring 'EMERGENCY!' then it should've been applied the second it was ready. It wasn't. Therefore it was down to a question of degree. How important was the patch, and how many people would be inconvenienced?

• It wasn't important enough to inconvenience primetime EST/CSTers, early primetime PSTers and late playing Euros.

• It was important enough to inconvenience late night PSTers, all night EST/CSTers and morning/lunchtime Euros

• It was too important to wait 3 days for the next scheduled

Now, for an individual incident, there is of course a chance the importance vs. inconvenience ratio feel precisely in that 'goldlocks' zone. The trouble is, when patches ALWAYS fall in that same time period, even for so-called 'emergencies', you start to wonder... The sensible option would be:

Weekly scheduled downtimes at 2am CST on a Tuesday. It's the lowest population time apparently, so we'll have to take Bioware's word for that because they have the metrics. Until such times as they seperate the maintenance times for the seperately localised servers, it makes sense, even if I'm inconvenienced.

For any patches that DON'T fit into that weekly schedule, patch them when they're ready. Even if they happen to coincide with EST/CST primetime. You can't have it both ways, either it's an emergency, or it can wait. This shouldn't happen very often, but the people who never experience downtime shouldn't complain about an occasional rare downtime instead of inconveniencing the same people who are already inconvienced at least once a week.

Oh, and for all the ignorant, xenophobic, 'RA-RA-RA!' yanks looking up from their grits'n'gravy long enough to mash 'That thar's a 'merican game y'all! Suck it up pardner! Yee haw!' into their keyboards - you are making the rest of your nation look bad :p

To those of you in Europe, I want you to know that we'll be discussing maintenance windows and how we can improve their timing this coming week. We may not have an update immediately (and not before the scheduled maintenance on January 31st) but we have been paying attention to your opinions.

The lack of communication would suggest otherwise. Oh yeah thanks for mentioning Europe in the last paragraph of your post, just goes to show how much you really care.

Except there was no lack of communication. The warning was posted well over 6 hours before the downtime.

Dev tracker. Read it.

I read Dev Tracker daily. Dev tracker items typically contain very little information. Are basically "We are looking into it" responses. We rarely see any interaction with players, meaning conversation. Communication is typically one-way.

The post by Mr. Reid in this thread is at least improvement as it addressed point for point a concern by the OP.

they really do not have to apologize for anything, you are NOT promised 24/7/365 uptime, NO ONE CAN PROMISE THAT

Have to? No. Should they? Yes. Here is why.

Studies have shown that customers who experience problems with a product and/or service who feel that the company providing that product/service handled the problem well ("Moments of truth") have a higher loyalty for that company than customers who never experience any issues. By being very forthright, and yes apologetic, upfront goes a long way to heading off issues and greatly increases the likelihood of building stronger loyalty among the customer base. It is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to build loyalty and retain customers.

Edited by PjPablo

I am sorry, but that is incorrect.

You did NOT roll out the patch Friday night/Saturday morning. You rolled out the patch Saturday afternoon for us Europeans. Smack center, middle of the day. It probably was US-centric thinking like the one you display in your post that lead to this decision in the first place.

Here is what that should have read:

I hate going on a nerdrage and, yes, I did spend my day pleasantly without SWTOR, thank you, but your statement just made me very angry.

Mind you, I am not complaining about you fixing the game. Like somebody above me said: take it down every day if that makes the bugs go away faster. It's just the "Oh, right, and then there's Europe, too..."-thinking expressed in your statement that gets me riled up.

So, the American who lives in the US thinks in US time zones and time periods? That is US centric... so in order to please you, he needs to stop thinking in his local time references, and bend his thoughts to include your time references, and provide information on an international forum, populated more heavily by Americans and Americans pretending to be Europeans then actual Europeans. (Who I might add are spread even more thin by being spread across three forums total, as the Germans and French are likely in the language forums for their localizations.)

He has the problem? Yeah... totally. Avoid needles buddy, don't want anything to pop.

The lack of communication would suggest otherwise. Oh yeah thanks for mentioning Europe in the last paragraph of your post, just goes to show how much you really care.

:rolleyes: wow, people really will complain about anything. He mentions that they have listened to you, and that they are going to come up with something to change maintainence tims for the EU, but you still blast him because he put it in the last paragraph? Yes, you are one of those customers that will always be unhappy no matter what Bioware does, if it is not one thing, you will find something else to complain about.

So, the American who lives in the US thinks in US time zones and time periods? That is US centric... so in order to please you, he needs to stop thinking in his local time references, and bend his thoughts to include your time references, and provide information on an international forum, populated more heavily by Americans and Americans pretending to be Europeans then actual Europeans. (Who I might add are spread even more thin by being spread across three forums total, as the Germans and French are likely in the language forums for their localizations.)

He has the problem? Yeah... totally. Avoid needles buddy, don't want anything to pop.

The game launched globally (not just in the US), and this forum is accessible by all the subscribers of the game from all corners of the globe (not just the US), so yes, Bioware representatives should definitely think beyond just their own time zone.

I don't understand why this is a contentious issue, the decision was made to not be US-centric when they launched the game outside of the US.

(BTW, Stephen Reid is British, he just happens to have moved to the US and work for a US company.)

The patch would've passed QA and been ready for deployment before they confirmed the upcoming downtime, which apparently happened at 5pm CST.

They brought the severs down to apply the patch at 2am CST, nearly 9 hours later.

Misinformation is the best information, am I right?

Weekly scheduled downtimes at 2am CST on a Tuesday. It's the lowest population time apparently, so we'll have to take Bioware's word for that because they have the metrics. Until such times as they seperate the maintenance times for the seperately localised servers, it makes sense, even if I'm inconvenienced.

I fail to understand why you're willing to take Bioware's word that the scheduled maintenance is at a time that inconveniences the least number of people possible, and yet not apply the same thinking to the emergency patch. They scheduled the patches when it would inconvenience the least people in both cases, why do you understand in one case and not the other?

It is an unfortunate fact that downtime is going to inconvenience some amount of people, there is no avoiding that. You're angry because you are one of those people. Guess what I am too, but your don't see me raging over it. I understand that it happens and deal with it as long as it is done reasonably, in this case I think it was.

Oh, and for all the ignorant, xenophobic, 'RA-RA-RA!' yanks looking up from their grits'n'gravy long enough to mash 'That thar's a 'merican game y'all! Suck it up pardner! Yee haw!' into their keyboards - you are making the rest of your nation look bad :p

Way to exemplify what you condemn others for being and doing.

I don't have time for a lengthy reply, but I have sincere doubts that you know what either of those words mean, given the context.

I was satirising the people in this thread (and others) who give the impression they honestly believe that because Bioware is an american company, only americans should be given any consideration even though it's a globally marketted and utilised product. I did this with an ironic comment which in no way represents my actual opinion.

I was satirising the people in this thread (and others) who give the impression they honestly believe that because Bioware is an american company, only americans should be given any consideration even though it's a globally marketted and utilised product. I did this with an ironic comment which in no way represents my actual opinion.

I stand by my original statement and opinion.

Seeing as the patch didn't fix the problems for many(it did for some apparently). I don't have a clue how you figured it was worth killing the servers on a friday night/saturday morning.

I was extremely lucky to be able to find people to complete my eternity vault run this morning. I was sure i wouldn't be able to. It took me 2 tries because if one person leaves... the whole bunch gets scared and leaves(I you don't know what i mean try organizing a EV pug... one hell of an achievement). but that's another subject entirely. But i am still pissed at you guys for using such a bad time for one fix that could have easily waited monday night. Do does kind of fixes during the week and not the weekend.

Ok sure you can declare a emergency situation if the problem prevent your clients to play completely or if all servers are having extreme issues that make it almost impossible to play... but a bug as old as the disconnect bug which happens only to a few people is not urgent enough to warrant a complete shutdown of all servers.

I might be selfish i don't know... but then i wasn't the only one pissed off so i might not be wrong either.

Edited by Kemeros

The world is in such a sad...sad state.

That's all I can think of when reading this thread.

Yes yes... you are better than us ô wise one. You never get angry at anything. Sorry to have troubled you.

If you don't care.. don't post. Also if you had time to post a undermining post... you don't have much more of a life than us do you?