Best MMO PvP you ever played?

Lazyllama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAoC, nothing else even comes close... Why these mmo companies won't copy the template from DAoC I'll never know. :confused:

Having never played DAOC I don't know if it was open loot when you killed another player but I'm going off the assumption that it is.

This generation of gamers seems more drawn towards "amusement park" games as opposed to sandbox style gameplay. Also there seems to be a huge misconception amongst these players that open loot = I die then I lose all my gear that I've spent weeks or months grinding the same instance(s) for in a few seconds.

In Darkfall (again assuming it's similar in other sandbox style PvP) most of the weapons and armor are crafted and are fairly easy to obtain so you constantly have spare sets and if you lose your gear it doesn't take much for a guildie to craft you more, or craft it yourself.

That desire/excitement over actual loss/reward be it being killed and losing your stuff/keep/castle is balanced out by the excitement of killing someone finding an amazing piece of gear or winning a new castle for your guild to set up shop in. Almost every fight gets the blood pumping because the outcome is never guaranteed.

These games do tend to let people be asses but not entirely unchecked due to the political nature and being able to kill anone. i.e. Some guy is running his mouth off boom axe to the head. Same guy is griefing another guild's members well maybe that guild is larger than he realizes or has enough allies that they destroy everything his guild has. Now that guy's guild knows it's cause of him misbehaving that put them in that situation. These games imo probably have people at least having a little more restraint because there are some consequences that can happen as opposed to just mindless flaming in General chat. Granted that doesn't carry over in to the wanton slaughter of new players by bored people.

And while there is enjoyment in games such as TOR, WOW, etc most of the PvP is just another gear grind. The most common thing I've seen is once someone has full battlemaster/warlord/arena gear, is unless they just PvP for the heck of it a lot of them tend to make alts and just PvP on the lower tiers. There's nothing for them to protect or to accomplish until the next "season".

I do not know about best. But the most I've enjoyed has been SWG, STO, and SWTOR. Swtor coming in last because it still needs work. WoW was ok, but meh. The worst I've ever played was in CoH & Vanguard. Most frustrating was STO space pvp... overpowered Klingons!!! :D

Having never played DAOC I don't know if it was open loot when you killed another player but I'm going off the assumption that it is.

This generation of gamers seems more drawn towards "amusement park" games as opposed to sandbox style gameplay. Also there seems to be a huge misconception amongst these players that open loot = I die then I lose all my gear that I've spent weeks or months grinding the same instance(s) for in a few seconds.

In Darkfall (again assuming it's similar in other sandbox style PvP) most of the weapons and armor are crafted and are fairly easy to obtain so you constantly have spare sets and if you lose your gear it doesn't take much for a guildie to craft you more, or craft it yourself.

That desire/excitement over actual loss/reward be it being killed and losing your stuff/keep/castle is balanced out by the excitement of killing someone finding an amazing piece of gear or winning a new castle for your guild to set up shop in. Almost every fight gets the blood pumping because the outcome is never guaranteed.

These games do tend to let people be asses but not entirely unchecked due to the political nature and being able to kill anone. i.e. Some guy is running his mouth off boom axe to the head. Same guy is griefing another guild's members well maybe that guild is larger than he realizes or has enough allies that they destroy everything his guild has. Now that guy's guild knows it's cause of him misbehaving that put them in that situation. These games imo probably have people at least having a little more restraint because there are some consequences that can happen as opposed to just mindless flaming in General chat. Granted that doesn't carry over in to the wanton slaughter of new players by bored people.

And while there is enjoyment in games such as TOR, WOW, etc most of the PvP is just another gear grind. The most common thing I've seen is once someone has full battlemaster/warlord/arena gear, is unless they just PvP for the heck of it a lot of them tend to make alts and just PvP on the lower tiers. There's nothing for them to protect or to accomplish until the next "season".

Nah DAOC was a bridge game(rules and style wise) between EQ and Wow. It wasn't a hardcore PK game. But it was a pre pvp=instanced battlegrounds genre.

I do agree that the fad for MMO's now is to just have you grind to get gear and once you get that gear you have nothing really else to do until the next grind is released.

I think that is why RVR was soo popular because besides the rewards/RPs etc. The fun was just going out into the world and not knowing what you would get.

I think many of us are tired to PvP warzone grind to get BM, get gear then basically the only thing to do with that gear is to grind the same instanced battlegrounds we already played the crap out of to get that gear.

Its sad how wow basically made it so end game pvp is the exact same as the pvp instance grind.

Its funny because yay freshish 50 i win X% of my warzones.. Geared BM.. team still wins around the same % of games.

When in reality all BW needs to do is give us a very large planet that is similar to a daoc RVR frontier and just let us play. Take away the quests that force people to farm and camp and just make it objective/control based.

2) EVE Online (ive heard grown men cry in TS)

Hahaha, same here. When it comes to social interaction EVE rocks if you join a good corp.

And I loooooove the metagame and spy games. Good example of a spy game:

1) Member of a c. 50 member corp gets pirated by member of a mega alliance with hundreds of pilots.

2) Ask for reimbursement...and get laughed at.

3) Spy on that alliance, and find their secret out-of-alliance production corp supplying all the good mods to them.

4) Kamikaze a freighter full of expensive mods in retaliation.

Or how about one of largest thefts in MMO history? This guy stole $45k worth of ingame money!!!

EVE is probably the closest you get to real life intrigue and politics. There's entire corporations producing goods that get sold on the player market, and you can buy stocks of those companies...and of course some of them end up getting robbed and infiltrated. Pretty cool way to "PVP" imo. Adds a whole other dimension.

Plus, those corporations can hire mercenaries that retaliate for them. Soooooooo many possibilities for players.

But it takes A LOT more time than SWTOR or WOW...which is why it won't suit a lot of people. Major downside sadly...

Also, I think a lot of people with bad experiences in EVE never joined a GOOD corporation. That makes all the difference. Playing it solo isn't all that fun, especially at low levels...later it is. A good corp with a clear goal is key to having fun.

PS: Any old Outbreak guys on here?

Edited by RadehX

EVE:

From the thrills of a small-force roam through hostile nullsec to the bladder-bursting marathons of major fleet actions.

SWG:

Player-organized space events (Starsider server) were wonderful.

Disclaimer: Lag issues are not considered for either game. Sometimes the lag was awful, sometimes not.

Guild Wars.

One of the few games that almost solely relied on personal skill. Sure other PvP games rely on skil...and gear. GWs idea of limiting the skills you could use in a match was genius as it gave you such a wide variety of play styles to build and work with and nearly all of them were competitive. This game kinda reminded me of the card game MtG. There was a huge pool of skills to choose from and it was up to you to decide what skills to use together and how to implement them. And yes I know that GW was heavily instanced and therefore may not qualify as a true "MMO"

definitely has to be Everquest. early on, it wasn't very balanced, but they got it better and better, and SOE showed that they were interested in making it a part of their game. melees stood a chance. ranged had their advantages. light and heavy armor classes had distinct differences in effectiveness, but were effective nonetheless. powerful skills like snares didnt' always land. mezzes were breakable upon damage if they landed 100%. stuns weren't breakable, but didn't always land. every class had a way out of a fight via pots, and CC didn't run rampant. fights could last long times if players were good, and that made it extremely fun. Edited by olagaton

To me its always interesting to see these threads pop up on various forums and it always seems to come down to the first MMO that got you hooked in. Where you really connected with it and community and delved into the mysteries of the MMO genre.

so for me it has to be a little known MUD called FoxMUD.

After that Everquest was next huge influence but it was a graphical version of those early MUD's