Will Swtor be Windows 11 compatible?

TrixxieTriss

Gaming. Denuvo is a copy protection system (DRM) for games.

Gaming works fine on Steam/Linux as long as you don't play games that require a DRM system like Denuvo (or any other similar system).

MMOs are free from such types of DRM, so you won't have any problems playing those.

I too have been playing on Linux for years, no problems so far, but my points were more general, because we were also discussing why not everyone can ditch Windows in favor of Linux (not everyone plays only MMOs, not everyone use their PCs only to play games)..

Ahh ok and i do agree! But for this particular topic being in regards to those wondering if windows 11 will be compatible with SWTOR we would assume enough testing will be done with windows it “Should” be However in the case it’s Not. A good alternative towards using your Old box instead of Upgrading unless required so by work would be a good thought to run Linux for the game. In case your old Computer will not upgrade to windows 11. That is all I am basically trying to say heh.

EDIT: I am sure windows 10 will be fine for a long time, but if your computer is like pushing 10+ years like mine I am just suggesting and alternative way to play SWTOR without worrying about upgrading any time soon.

Edited by CKNORTH

Ahh ok and i do agree! But for this particular topic being in regards to those wondering if windows 11 will be compatible with SWTOR we would assume enough testing will be done with windows it “Should” be However in the case it’s Not. A good alternative towards using your Old box instead of Upgrading unless required so by work would be a good thought to run Linux for the game. In case your old Computer will not upgrade to windows 11. That is all I am basically trying to say heh.

EDIT: I am sure windows 10 will be fine for a long time, but if your computer is like pushing 10+ years like mine I am just suggesting and alternative way to play SWTOR without worrying about upgrading any time soon.

I doubt many people will be tossing an entire operating system out the window just for the sake of one game. Too many other reasons to hang onto it and to work to keep using it when forced to upgrade.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I doubt many people will be tossing an entire operating system out the window just for the sake of one game. Too many other reasons to hang onto it and to work to keep using it when forced to upgrade.

Fair enough. 😊

I've now taken a completely wait-and-see approach after reading this:

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-is-letting-oems-ship-windows-11-pcs-without-any-tpm/

where China and Russia absolutely don't permit TPM technology in computers, so for Microsoft to market anything in those countries, there it goes backsliding on TPM for original equipment manufacturers. China and Russia adoption of TPM is only one of the factors cited, another was "custom images" which people can take however they want, I won't conjecture about that.

And there's also this lovely bit of weirdness:

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-windows-11-windows-10-devices-2022/

I will say any installation application for the rest of us to download and install Win 11 might very well gate Windows 11 based on Microsoft's stated TPM and other requirements, so, like I said, it's wait and see.

Both Russia and China require Microsoft to make “local” versions or they aren’t allowed to sell the software. There has been a Russian and Chinese versions of Windows since Win XP or maybe Win 7. Basically they didn’t trust Microsoft because it was said to be giving the NSA back door access from win 95 till win 2000 or more?

I expect they will walk back the TPM requirement when they realise it’s a problem for Big brands like ASUS etc. or until someone finds the work around they’ve probably already programmed in for the Russian and Chinese versions.

Both Russia and China require Microsoft to make “local” versions or they aren’t allowed to sell the software. There has been a Russian and Chinese versions of Windows since Win XP or maybe Win 7. Basically they didn’t trust Microsoft because it was said to be giving the NSA back door access from win 95 till win 2000 or more?

I expect they will walk back the TPM requirement when they realise it’s a problem for Big brands like ASUS etc. or until someone finds the work around they’ve probably already programmed in for the Russian and Chinese versions.

I don't know about Russia but China has their own versions of a lot of things, even games, if you want to do business there you must comply with government requests, whatever they are.

As for TPM, I truly hope Microsoft backtracks on it, it's not new for them to set requirements for new versions functionality, but expecting people to throw away hardware that may still be good (even if it lacks a TPM module) seems a bit extreme.

I see that the next question is though with Linux being a lot more like a cross bread of windows and Mac now. Will those gamers that play intensely switch or not

Probably not. Like I said Linux has been the 'techies OS' and I really don't see that view changing. Don't get me wrong I like Unix, I even dabbled with Ubuntu for a while. I know Linux is about the most user friendly it has ever been, but I don't see them or any OS right now making a huge dent in what has been the Windows market domination. I mean it has been 20+ years and they've only dropped a few percentage points.

Probably not. Like I said Linux has been the 'techies OS' and I really don't see that view changing. Don't get me wrong I like Unix, I even dabbled with Ubuntu for a while. I know Linux is about the most user friendly it has ever been, but I don't see them or any OS right now making a huge dent in what has been the Windows market domination. I mean it has been 20+ years and they've only dropped a few percentage points.

Very true, I guess though some of it will be how enthusiastic people will be over windows 11. They will still dominate but I would imagine they will lose a small % to Linux at some point. For myself though the prices of PC compared to say the new Xbox if my PC were to take a dump. I would probably just move to console gaming instead of buying a new PC.

Macs are already running their own version of Unix. Windows lets you run linux as a subsystem - I get my bash fix there (powershell is so lol). And I use vim in visual studio and instead of Notepad++. It's not perfect but it's almost a "best of both worlds".

I'm using windows 11 now and am able to run the game.

Edited by Savej

Macs are already running their own version of Unix. Windows lets you run linux as a subsystem - I get my bash fix there (powershell is so lol). And I use vim in visual studio and instead of Notepad++. It's not perfect but it's almost a "best of both worlds".

I'm using windows 11 now and am able to run the game.

Your comment is what I came to check, thanks.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about it. Considering the track record here EA/BioWare will probably either let the game finally die or barely put any effort into making it compatible. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they've had the ten or so Devs left on the SWTOR team working on.

Since in the livestream tonight they were talking about the next 10 years for SWTOR, I guess the joke's on you. Oh and there's a new expansion coming end of the year. Oh yeah and they mentioned visual and technical upgrades, revamped character creator...well, you can watch the livestream if you want the rest of it.

It was playable on W10 as well, SWTOR came out during W7, so their track record indicates that it will be playable on W11 also.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about it. Considering the track record here EA/BioWare will probably either let the game finally die or barely put any effort into making it compatible.

Guess you missed todays livestream. Seems they are doing the opposite of let it die. 7.0 seems more like resurrection

Honestly, I am more concerned about whether Microsoft will force you to update to Win 11. If immediately, every single computers are forced to Win 11, then it may not be Swtor but other softwares may face compatibility issues.

This may not be the case because the requirements for Win 11 are pretty specific so not many can upgrade.

There was a force upgrade from 7 to 10 for me, not sure if it is still the case for 10 to 11.

Edited by afwhoefuwov

Honestly, I am more concerned about whether Microsoft will force you to update to Win 11. If immediately, every single computers are forced to Win 11, then it may not be Swtor but other softwares may face compatibility issues.

This may not be the case because the requirements for Win 11 are pretty specific so not many can upgrade.

There was a force upgrade from 7 to 10 for me, not sure if it is still the case for 10 to 11.

I doubt they will force you to, but they will probably be annoying about it like they were with 7 > 10.

That won’t happen because there are hardware requirements currently locked to be eligible for the upgrade. One is TPM 2.0. Which most custom built PCs lack having it built in or enabled.

For instance, the PCs I have at home are more than “capable” performance wise of running Windows 11. But all lack TPM 2.0 (trusted protection modules).

The PCs have pins on the motherboards to “add” these modules and they never supplied these as standard, so many motherboards won’t have them.

For my PCs, I use ASUS and they say the ones I need are EOL (end of life). And even many of the newer models (less than 2 years) don’t have TMP 2.0 built in. It’s set as an option and with the world wide chip shortages, manufacturers don’t have spare TMPs to ship to suppliers. Some CPUs have it built in and can have it activated via the Bios, but if you don’t have one of these, you are stuck with Windows 10.

Microsoft basically wants you to throw out your current systems that work perfectly fine and buy a new one. Why? Because they make no money from free upgrades. But they will make money from new Windows 11 licences that come with new PCs.

Can you imagine all the perfectly good hardware that’s going to end up as landfill because people want the newest thing. Sadly, it seems Microsoft don’t care and all their environmentally sustainable rhetoric is false. They should be looking at ways to reuse and extend the life of old systems, not put perfectly good ones in the junk heap well before their usual life span.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone is all that interested but SWTOR is running just fine for me on my five year old MSI GT72VR 6RD.

No install problems not application issues - same frame rates and performance in game as for Windows 10.

I'm not quite sure why so many people are worried. Win10 will be supported until 2025 and unless you have a fetish for rounded window corners there is very little in Win11 you need. Indeed, if like me you refuse to have am M$ account then you will find upgrading very difficult.

Really, being a first adopter of any new software is a risk and for an OS it can be a disaster.

Microsoft have announced that Windows 11 will be a free upgrade this fall. So that’s only a few months away.

Can anyone at BioWare confirm that swtor will work with Windows 11 and they have a team working to test compatibility issues before players start upgrading?

Probably will be, however until it has comes out none of us will know. I remember this same question been asked when windows 10 was pending. This game did work on it, as using that now, not sure if it worked right away as my windows 10 PC is not that old.

Can BW actually test the game now before windows 11 is even out? Would they have access to try it?

Personally I would just wait a few days until after it is out, someone somewhere would start posting to say if its not compatible, either here for SWTOR or on google forum gaming sites to say that there are gaming issues with windows 11.

Can BW actually test the game now before windows 11 is even out? Would they have access to try it?

Yes. See my post on page 1 of the thread, where I had the chance to test my (then-)employer's product on pre-release versions of Windows 98 prior to the full release. Microsoft has done similar pre-release versions (in Windows 10, it's called the "Windows Insider Programme") for every subsequent version (and some of the ones before).