Will Swtor be Windows 11 compatible?

TrixxieTriss

• 4 weeks later...

On a brand new Asus Flow Z13 the game will not start, running latest version of 11. 10.0.22000 (21H2) It was able to install the game but won't run no matter what setting I try. I'm going to try a couple of work arounds and let you all what I come up with.

Specs; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, Intel Core i7-12700H, 16GB LPDDR5, 512GB PCIe SSD

On a brand new Asus Flow Z13 the game will not start, running latest version of 11. 10.0.22000 (21H2) It was able to install the game but won't run no matter what setting I try. I'm going to try a couple of work arounds and let you all what I come up with.

Specs; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, Intel Core i7-12700H, 16GB LPDDR5, 512GB PCIe SSD

I was able to get mine to work after downloading and installing the Launcher Repair Utility tool. My issue was with my system having a 12th gen Alder Lake CPU.

https://swtorista.com/articles/12th-generation-intel-cpu-alder-lake/

Ok, I'm frustrated beyond belief. Just bought new computer. I did the launcher repair, since it wouldn't even attempt to launch. Was able to log in, had to log out. Launcher wouldn't work. Did the launcher repair again, it worked, but I'm currently REINSTALLING the game. Seriously?

I've searched the forums. I'm not finding an answer for this issue. I'm NOT redownloading the game every time I want to play. Suggestions, please???

Processor 12th Gen Intel® Core i7-12700 2.10 GHz

Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

• 1 month later...
I also just bought a new computer running windows 11. Launcher wouldn't work. My corrective action was to copy the files from my old hard drive SWToR directory into the new SWToR directory on the new hard drive. I then created a shortcut from the copied launcher file top the desktop. Seems to working fine so far. I pulled the hard drive out of old machine and connected to new machine via a hard drive drive docking station. Would probably work using a thumb drive, if you have one big enough.

• 4 weeks later...

There is definitely a problem. I just bought a new Alienware desktop gaming computer. I comes with Windows 11.

Downloaded the game. It not only doesn't work with windows 11, is corrupted my OS, so that had to be reinstalled. I have spent hours on the phone with Dell tech support. They reinstalled a new OS. Downloaded the game, and poof no more operating system. Now I'm stuck with a gaming computer I can't play a game on, or returning it for a refund.

Bioware, please investigate this issue. I'm returning my computer and will continue with Windows 10 on my msi for the game for now. But this problem needs to be fixed or when this laptop dies I won't be playing anymore. I'm certainly not going to by a new gaming laoptop or desktop if the only game I play is not compatible with Windows 11.

There most certainly *is* a doubt. Until BioWare tries SWTOR on prerelease versions of Windows 11, they don't *know* that it will work without changes, so there's a doubt. It's a new version of Windows, so there is a doubt that everything that SWTOR does will "just work".

Ultimately, if something about your software or its environment (e.g. the OS underneath it) changes, you test it, because until you do, you have to treat it as fatally broken. Who knows, maybe it *will* just work, but until you test it, you won't know.

My background: I've worked as a developer since the beginning of 1989, and I did some "summer job" developer work before that. There are more PCs than people at my home at the moment (like five for each human), and when you add the two Raspberry Pi 3B+es and a firewall(1), and all the rest, the ratio is slightly ridiculous.

1998 brought the imminent arrival of the first versions of Windows 98, and I was working on a product for Windows 95. My company joined the 98 beta program to make sure my stuff would continue to work (it did, but we didn't know until I tried it), and I was in the top 8% of people reporting Win98Beta bugs to Microsoft. Um. I reported three bugs, and that got me in the top 8%...

The key point, though, is that we didn't know our product would work until we tried it, so we tried it. BioWare should be doing the same. (I don't know for sure, but I expect they did it back when, during the run-ups to Windows 8 and 8.1 and 10 and 10 Creator's and ....)

(1) A free-standing firewall in a box of its own inside my network, not a minor software module inside endpoints. It picks up all manner of goofy stuff, notably that the CDN used by Steam for the store pages doesn't follow the HTTP RFCs, which left my Steam client showing blank pages in the store until I fixed up special filtering rules to disable the alarm in question just for them. (Their own advice is to turn off stateful inspection for all connections to anything Steam. No, not happening, guys.) I have the firewall because I work for the company that makes it.

• Haha 1

Except it does not work. I just bought a new Alienware desktop gaming computer.

Windows 11. I does not work, and in fact corrupted the windows 11 operating system.

So telling people is works, is not true and will cause the unsuspecting a lot of problems.

"less generic", now, that's a good one!

Listen, if i had to do ANYTHING except accepting the update pushed by Microsoft, I'd certainly inform about that.

I have done nothing extra, except running the update from Win 10 to Win 11.

It took about 10 minutes and that was ALL.

Nothing has changed in any of my programs (and I have more than games) , indeed the Windows layout changed mostly in some of the visual features (which I do not particularly like - because it starts looking more and more like IOs) but in terms of functionality, none of (so far) used programs had ANY problem with running.

So, it is not THAT frightening, really.

It seems to me like it is rather a cosmetic change than a "systemic" one, but I am just a simple user or the computers, not a developer.

So, if just an random user tells you, it it works, it works.

Windows 11. I does not work, and in fact corrupted the windows 11 operating system.

So telling people is works, is not true and will cause the unsuspecting a lot of problems.

First you'd have to establish that Windows 11 is the problem, and not Alienware. There is always the possibility that there's a problem with the Alienware's hardware or firmware.

You could try installing Windows 10 on the Alienware and see if that works*. However, I get the feeling that, since you got Alienware to re-install Windows 11, you may not be that comfortable installing Windows 10 yourself.

* You might be able to install Windows 10 using your Windows 11 license, or just install it 'unlicensed' to test SWTOR.

Since this thread is months old already and I STILL play my SWTOR on Windows 11 and have no issues at all, I believe it might be your Alienware hardware or software issue you're experiencing. I understand it is frustrating to buy brand new machine and not be able to play your game (that is 10 years old!) but I hardly believe it is Windows 11 related. It might be to specific Alienware drivers, because as far as I know they use own setup above Windows. But It might be something else entrirely.

Once again, I just wanted to state that on my MSI GE76 (that is 1,5 years old and upgraded from preinstalled Win 10 to Win 11) every game I installed (Witcher 3, SWTOR, Cyberpunk, Mass Effect - the new release) play without any problem.

I just hope it continues to be Windows 7 compatible, because I'm not going to Windows 10 OR 11.

You know that Windows 7 has been end-of-life for three years now, right? There will come a day (might not be soon), as it did for Windows XP, where root certificate updates are not applied to the older OS, and SWTOR ceases to work with Windows 7.

You know that Windows 7 has been end-of-life for three years now, right? There will come a day (might not be soon), as it did for Windows XP, where root certificate updates are not applied to the older OS, and SWTOR ceases to work with Windows 7.

When that day comes, I'll stop playing SWTOR and whatever other games can't play on Win7. I'm not going to agree to the Win10/11 EULA that says that "I agree" that Microsoft owns my data. To heck with that nonsense.

When that day comes, I'll stop playing SWTOR and whatever other games can't play on Win7. I'm not going to agree to the Win10/11 EULA that says that "I agree" that Microsoft owns my data. To heck with that nonsense.

See I never understood this, why do you care if they have your data? Are you famous? Are you interesting? Are you some evil wizard planning to overthrow the world? What could you possibly have on your computer that is of such interest that you need to hide it from a cooperation? I realize that this is like the most unpopular opinion ever but why do you think they want your data even, what are they going to do? Sell it to companies so you get targeted ads? In case you haven't noticed you are already getting them.

You could just move to Linux too, some people also play swtor from Linux. Then you'd never have to worry about this at all.

By the way, I've been playing on windows 11 for a few months now and it works just fine for me.

• Haha 1

You could just move to Linux too, some people also play swtor from Linux. Then you'd never have to worry about this at all.

Sort of, subject to the same sort of problems around using Facebook or Twitter or Instagram or Google's services or Chrome (the browser) or ... On the scale of things, the stuff in the Win10/11 EULA is almost benign.

By the way, I've been playing on windows 11 for a few months now and it works just fine for me.

Same here. I had a few problems a while ago when my domain controller (Samba on Raspbian Linux) decided to unilaterally change its IPv6 address without telling me in any way, and other things in my network meant that my Win 11 machine couldn't reach it, but those problems didn't actually affect SWTOR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...