Will Swtor be Windows 11 compatible?

TrixxieTriss

yes, i understand precisely the points you are making. the issue is that as of currently there is absolutely no difference (no changes) to the way that windows 10 handles those calls and the way windows 11 is going to handle them; in this particular regard, windows 10 and windows 11 are exactly the same. this is why there are no forseen compatibility issues for anything that was capable of running on windows 10. are you understanding this point?

I *understand*, but I think you're *wrong*, or at least you don't and indeed cannot, *know*, absolutely, that none of those API fuNctions have changed in any way. At the very least, some fraction of them will have had internal bugs fixed, which will change their behaviour in some edge case. If Program X, which might be called "Star Wars The Old Republic", relies on the existing behaviour in that edge case, it will break, even though the documented "in the good case" behaviour hasn't changed. (Yes, I agree, that problem is the fault of Program X's developers, but it is, nevertheless, a problem.)

Note: I'm talking mostly about the *actual* behaviour, not the behaviour described in the API documentation. That probably won't change, but like all API documentation, the Win32 API docs are full of vagueness and incomplete information. and probably the occasional actual wrong information.

It could be worse. The Driver Development Kit for the WIn9x line was originally written for Windows/386 (a flavour of Windows 2.1) then updated for Win3.0 and 3.1, WfWg 3.11 and Windows 95. Some of it was fully correct for Win95, some of it was overlooked and still described earlier behaviour, and some of it had *never* been correct in any version of Windows. <<== This is the voice of experience speaking, from a job I had from 97 to 99 of the last century, when I was working on a new version of the file-access interception code for an antivirus product on Windows 95, where we *also* got involved in the Windows 98 beta program, so we could make sure the product would work just fine. It did, but until we tried it, we could not have known.

Most of the Win32 API docs aren't like that, but they are also incomplete in detail, and occasionally contradictory.

as long as the win 11 developers do not change any of the fuctions that you're addressing and leave it exactly the same as it is in windows 10 (as is currently the case), there won't be any compatibility issues at launch. because it will literally be exactly the same process as it is running it on windows 10.

Yeah, but that's a big if, and not one I'd want to stake my job on if I were a development manager. Compared to the fallout from there being a breaking change, the cost of testing it on pre-release versions of Windows 11 is pretty small.

tbh, i hope bioware does issue a statement regarding this. but if they do it will likely be something as mundane as "no, there will not be any compatibility issues". which will be for exactly the reasons i have given.

No. It will be because they fixed anything that broke. It's pretty much guaranteed that *something* will break, at least a little, but the testing will reveal it and let the developers fix it before release day.

Oh, and there's clearly *something* internal that will be changing, given the changes in system requirements - UEFI and SecureBoot are required, as well as a GPT boot disk and (in theory) a TPM in version 2.0 of the spec, and none of those are required for Windows 10. The change is not *just* UI behaviour.

One thing you should bear in mind is that I've been a professional developer for 32 years. An ever-growing fraction of my colleagues are younger than my career... I've seen all kinds of weirdness, and a wide variety of different operating systems, including Linux on kernel 1.2.X in 1995, various flavours of FreeBSD and OpenBSD, and blah blah blah (she makes monsters). APIs that undergo subtle (or not-so-subtle sometimes) changes that barely affect the documentation are a dime a dozen, frankly.

There's "tech illiterate" and then there's "socially illiterate". 😇

if you're trying to imply that i am "socially illiterate", i'm not. i just don't like people who blather on and on about things they have not researched, or more specifically in this case, simply will not research, thus have no idea what they're talking about. good rule of thumb, if you interject in a subject you should actually know something about it before you do. never forget - "a lion does not concern itself with the opinions of sheep".

I *understand*, but I think you're *wrong*, or at least you don't and indeed cannot, *know*, absolutely, that none of those API fuNctions have changed in any way. At the very least, some fraction of them will have had internal bugs fixed, which will change their behaviour in some edge case. If Program X, which might be called "Star Wars The Old Republic", relies on the existing behaviour in that edge case, it will break, even though the documented "in the good case" behaviour hasn't changed. (Yes, I agree, that problem is the fault of Program X's developers, but it is, nevertheless, a problem.)

i have already conceded that we cannot know for sure if between now and the release of windows 11 whether or not microsoft will actually make compatibility changes or not. that hasn't been my point, my point has been that as of yet this is not the case, and currently windows 11 developers have NOT made any compatibility changes. so long as this fact remains, the swtor client should work on windows 11 just as it does on windows 10.

Note: I'm talking mostly about the *actual* behaviour, not the behaviour described in the API documentation. That probably won't change, but like all API documentation, the Win32 API docs are full of vagueness and incomplete information. and probably the occasional actual wrong information.

i am well aware of how fickle documentation can be, is this supposed to be relevant to the topic at hand or any of the points i've made?

It could be worse. The Driver Development Kit for the WIn9x line was originally written for Windows/386 (a flavour of Windows 2.1) then updated for Win3.0 and 3.1, WfWg 3.11 and Windows 95. Some of it was fully correct for Win95, some of it was overlooked and still described earlier behaviour, and some of it had *never* been correct in any version of Windows. <<== This is the voice of experience speaking, from a job I had from 97 to 99 of the last century, when I was working on a new version of the file-access interception code for an antivirus product on Windows 95, where we *also* got involved in the Windows 98 beta program, so we could make sure the product would work just fine. It did, but until we tried it, we could not have known.

you keep bringing up legacy windows versions as if it has any relevance to windows 10-11, it doesn't. back then, for example, from windows 95-98-xp, in each version there were huge functionality changes that broke things with each new version, thus things had to be tested and fixed extensively. as i have already stated several thousand times in this thread; currently, this is not the case for windows 10-11.

Yeah, but that's a big if, and not one I'd want to stake my job on if I were a development manager. Compared to the fallout from there being a breaking change, the cost of testing it on pre-release versions of Windows 11 is pretty small.

it's not a "big if" at all, it's precisely what the developers intentions are.

No. It will be because they fixed anything that broke. It's pretty much guaranteed that *something* will break, at least a little, but the testing will reveal it and let the developers fix it before release day.

it is not guaranteed at all that something will break, especially if absolutely nothing changes in this regard from windows 10 to 11.

Oh, and there's clearly *something* internal that will be changing, given the changes in system requirements - UEFI and SecureBoot are required, as well as a GPT boot disk and (in theory) a TPM in version 2.0 of the spec, and none of those are required for Windows 10. The change is not *just* UI behaviour.

these new requirements are not indicative of anything changing which is why i didn't mention it, because it's irrelevant. windows 10 already supported all the aforementioned features. these requirements aren't indicative of microsoft changing anything regarding those features, it's indicative of them removing legacy features that they no longer wish to support in their OS.

One thing you should bear in mind is that I've been a professional developer for 32 years. An ever-growing fraction of my colleagues are younger than my career... I've seen all kinds of weirdness, and a wide variety of different operating systems, including Linux on kernel 1.2.X in 1995, various flavours of FreeBSD and OpenBSD, and blah blah blah (she makes monsters). APIs that undergo subtle (or not-so-subtle sometimes) changes that barely affect the documentation are a dime a dozen, frankly.

i appreciate that you have been working in software development for a very long time, apparently longer than i've been alive. this doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand or the fact that you think "life is too short" to do any research regarding a topic that you're arguing with someone about, whom did do the research. i have also been using windows since 98 and have utilized and developed on a whole host of linux distros as well. including, but not limited to; debian, arch, parabola, void, nixOS, gentoo, and even freebsd as well. what's the point?

we are simply talking in circles. there is no point to carrying on an argument in which almost everyone involved both refuse to research the particulars and acknowledge them. if bioware hasn't already done so before i do, i will simply acquire a preview version of windows 11, test it, and report back here with the results myself.

Edited by zerkington

Microsoft have announced that Windows 11 will be a free upgrade this fall. So that’s only a few months away.

Can anyone at BioWare confirm that swtor will work with Windows 11 and they have a team working to test compatibility issues before players start upgrading?

Really wondering why they're releasing a new version of windows, when they said Windows 10 would be the last Windows.

Really wondering why they're releasing a new version of windows, when they said Windows 10 would be the last Windows.

The simple answer is more money. The rest is more complex and I really don’t feel like having my response pulled apart by that earlier forum troll who has no idea of my back ground and experience in the the industry.

Windows 11 won’t even be their last, there will be another after that too. I personally worked for and with Microsoft from ‘93-2006’. Every iteration after win 2000 was “going to be the best and the last”. I eventually worked up the courage at the internal launch of Win XP to ask about statements like “it will be the last” and I was flat out told it’s a Marketing tool.

And if the other poster was so confident nothing has changed under the hood, then Microsoft would not need to release Windows 11. Sadly he doesn’t understand there is more going on with the build than what Microsoft publish or that people can do early tests on. Most of the changes we will see will be cosmetic (as he is stating). The important changes will be in the kernel and Microsoft won’t release that data.

Steve has tried to point out some things to Zerk, but he won’t even listen to Steve. He is like many of his generation, thinks they know everything cause the internet said so. He doesn’t have the 30+ years experience that Steve and I have had in the industry to understand what he doesn’t know yet or that you should always plan and test and never assume anything, but especially where Microsoft Windows is concerned.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The simple answer is more money. The rest is more complex and I really don’t feel like having my response pulled apart by that earlier forum troll who has no idea of my back ground and experience in the the industry.

Yeah I get the money thing, but when it will be 'free'.. there has to be more that they're not going to talk about (but I'd still like to know :D ) . That being said I've been in the tech industry for a very long time.. I've been a nerd since before being one was fashionable. I started with a Kaypro 2x learning it on my own, eventually supported windows as a tech before case based tools and now own a business doing fiber splicing.

and one can never be to careful with new releases of anything.. I kept my office manager on windows 8 for the longest simply because Sage accounting wasn't up to date for Windows 10. How they stay in business I'll never know, other than maybe lack of competition.

Yeah I get the money thing, but when it will be 'free'.. there has to be more that they're not going to talk about (but I'd still like to know :D ) . That being said I've been in the tech industry for a very long time.. I've been a nerd since before being one was fashionable. I started with a Kaypro 2x learning it on my own, eventually supported windows as a tech before case based tools and now own a business doing fiber splicing.

and one can never be to careful with new releases of anything.. I kept my office manager on windows 8 for the longest simply because Sage accounting wasn't up to date for Windows 10. How they stay in business I'll never know, other than maybe lack of competition.

If I can pick your brain a bit of your knowledge in the tech industry, with more and more games seemingly running a heck of a lot better on Linux now say since this last year alone. It seems that the way I see it is one of the reasons they would want people to upgrade to Windows 11 would be that new tech or computers will be locked in windows and unable to format into any other OS hence absolutely drowning the market and left with people either locked into 3 sources of computing. Windows, Mac, Or Google books. Now with that being said. How many of your average person will want Out of the box of gated OS and actually Build computers with new tech to be void of Windows and be able to install a Linux OS or even be able to Buy a new SSD without an OS pre installed??

How many of your average person will want Out of the box of gated OS and actually Build computers with new tech to be void of Windows and be able to install a Linux OS or even be able to Buy a new SSD without an OS pre installed??

Average users will use Windows.. That has been pretty much true since Windows started dominating the market (a long time ago).. Even right now Linux while great only has about a 2-3% market share, Mac has somewhere around 10%. Linux really is only used by people who are more tech inclined. Back in the day Bill did something that solidified Windows future, he basically told companies like Dell if they wanted to sell boxes with his OS on it, they couldn't market or install any other OS. I'm sure those caveats exist in some form to this day. Chromebooks have made a serious dent into the OS market, but again not sure they'll make it into a full pc style market. They've placed themselves as a 'light weight OS' for tablets etc. Personally I haven't done more that an out of the box OS myself in around 20 years. (Not quite as techy as I used to be)

Average users will use Windows.. That has been pretty much true since Windows started dominating the market (a long time ago).. Even right now Linux while great only has about a 2-3% market share, Mac has somewhere around 10%. Linux really is only used by people who are more tech inclined. Back in the day Bill did something that solidified Windows future, he basically told companies like Dell if they wanted to sell boxes with his OS on it, they couldn't market or install any other OS. I'm sure those caveats exist in some form to this day. Chromebooks have made a serious dent into the OS market, but again not sure they'll make it into a full pc style market. They've placed themselves as a 'light weight OS' for tablets etc. Personally I haven't done more that an out of the box OS myself in around 20 years. (Not quite as techy as I used to be)

I see that the next question is though with Linux being a lot more like a cross bread of windows and Mac now. Will those gamers that play intensely switch or not due to windows intrusiveness. Also with let’s say an additional 10% if I were to assume of those real tight intense gamers switching to a Linux box that would be significantly alter the Linux market. I just think the more that windows locks down all computers in the industry to only run a Microsoft OS might not mean no diddly to the average user but let’s face it Gamers are not average users and they are not Dumb either. So I do see it kind of a pinnacle decision a lot of Gamers will make. Am I ok with Windows and how it runs my PC or will I be happier not having to spend a fortune to upgrade my 2020 system and run Linux…

EDIT: also there is one slight factor in all this that no one has asked. What if Windows 11 Bombs like windows ME or Windows 8 all these people worried about upgrading there system do and find out windows 11 is absolute Trash… seems like a big risk. But that would be a worst case scenario…

Edited by CKNORTH

One of the biggest hurdles for upgrades will be the TPM requirement. For instance, my motherboard supports TPM, but the module doesn’t come with the motherboard as standard and the module (according to ASUS is now ELO). Some motherboards use a software version in the Bios, but many still don’t and require a module chip to be added to the pins on the MB. Ie, even some of the new Gigabyte x570 MBs don’t come with the chips, you have to buy them separately and install them.

This is one way that the “industry” works with Microsoft to get people to upgrade to new hardware systems and Microsoft obviously gets some financial kick back because each new PC needs a Windows licence. Microsoft don’t really want you to upgrade for free. They want you to buy a new PC. This has been one the the driving forces of the IT industry for 30 years.

Microsoft makes most of its money from selling volume licensing and licences to large companies like HP, Dell, etc, for their mass produced premade systems in a box or laptops. This is the business model and has been since win95 and NT4. It doesn’t seem like they gave companies like Asus and Gigabyte a heads up that TPM 2 will be a requirement for win 11 to work. Or if they did, Asus and Gigabyte are working on a soft bios version for the newer motherboards. Unfortunately if you have an older board, you will have to hunt around for EOL chips that are already selling for $150-200 on eBay.

I just purchased the last 5 available ASUS TPMs from the Australian wholesaler. They won’t be getting anymore because Asus said they are EOL now.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Will those gamers that play intensely switch or not due to windows intrusiveness.

I think most gamers don't have much of a choice because DRM systems don't work on Linux.

I've been using Linux exclusively for years and I'm very happy about it, but I believe I'm in the minority buying my games on GOG because I despise DRM, so I never have problems. Lately I've been playing MMOs only, they don't have DRM either, but all new standalone big titles do, so you either use Windows or you can't play them.

And if Windows 11 "bombs" as you said, people will just try to keep Windows 10 as much as they can, like they did with 7.

I think most gamers don't have much of a choice because DRM systems don't work on Linux.

I've been using Linux exclusively for years and I'm very happy about it, but I believe I'm in the minority buying my games on GOG because I despise DRM, so I never have problems. Lately I've been playing MMOs only, they don't have DRM either, but all new standalone big titles do, so you either use Windows or you can't play them.

And if Windows 11 "bombs" as you said, people will just try to keep Windows 10 as much as they can, like they did with 7.

I guess what it all boils down too is how many people with COVID still lurking will say Heck yeah I’ll spend a few thousand on a new system to play the latest Games or how many of us will say F This BullSheet and switch to Nintendo or Linux Lol

I've now taken a completely wait-and-see approach after reading this:

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-is-letting-oems-ship-windows-11-pcs-without-any-tpm/

where China and Russia absolutely don't permit TPM technology in computers, so for Microsoft to market anything in those countries, there it goes backsliding on TPM for original equipment manufacturers. China and Russia adoption of TPM is only one of the factors cited, another was "custom images" which people can take however they want, I won't conjecture about that.

And there's also this lovely bit of weirdness:

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-windows-11-windows-10-devices-2022/

I will say any installation application for the rest of us to download and install Win 11 might very well gate Windows 11 based on Microsoft's stated TPM and other requirements, so, like I said, it's wait and see.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I've now taken a completely wait-and-see approach after reading this:

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-is-letting-oems-ship-windows-11-pcs-without-any-tpm/

where China and Russia absolutely don't permit TPM technology in computers, so for Microsoft to market anything in those countries, there it goes backsliding on TPM for original equipment manufacturers. China and Russia adoption of TPM is only one of the factors cited, another was "custom images" which people can take however they want, I won't conjecture about that.

And there's also this lovely bit of weirdness:

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-windows-11-windows-10-devices-2022/

I will say any installation application for the rest of us to download and install Win 11 might very well gate Windows 11 based on Microsoft's stated TPM and other requirements, so, like I said, it's wait and see.

I have already switched to Ubuntu and 0 issues on SWTOR after 4 days while some others in my guild have had horrible

Lag or crashes all together not saying it could be OS related but how windows likes to Ninja updates all the time. Who knows…

I have already switched to Ubuntu and 0 issues on SWTOR after 4 days while some others in my guild have had horrible

Lag or crashes all together not saying it could be OS related but how windows likes to Ninja updates all the time. Who knows…

Let me know how Ubuntu is working out for you there with Microsoft Access. I use that. Was my bread and butter for the longest time. Not available on Linux.

Let me know how Ubuntu is working out for you there with Microsoft Access. I use that. Was my bread and butter for the longest time. Not available on Linux.

I don’t use the Microsoft Access I want nothing to do with MS Lol. I use the Ubuntu log in for my account. Everything has been very stable so far but. I mean there are ways to access your MS stuff if needed. I have the OS under lock and key too and I like that if there is an update I need to Authorize it.

Wish I could post Videos there is hardly any lag and nothing super glitches out that I have seen. It does what I need it to do so I am happy

Edited by CKNORTH

I don’t use the Microsoft Access I want nothing to do with MS Lol. I use the Ubuntu log in for my account. Everything has been very stable so far but. I mean there are ways to access your MS stuff if needed. I have the OS under lock and key too and I like that if there is an update I need to Authorize it.

Wish I could post Videos there is hardly any lag and nothing super glitches out that I have seen. It does what I need it to do so I am happy

I'm not fond of Microsoft either but you deliver what you're paid to deliver and if someone wants an Access front end to a sql database rather than Crystal Reports or what have you, that's what they get.

Yes, I could probably set up a virtual environment with whatever Linux-compatible hypervisor is out there, and subsequently run Windows under Linux that way, but that's a hell of a lot of unnecessary CPU overhead when that processing power could be going to the programs I'm using directly like I'm doing now.

Campaign all you want for Linux, I don't care, knock yourself out, but I'll be sticking with Windows, one way or another.

I'm not fond of Microsoft either but you deliver what you're paid to deliver and if someone wants an Access front end to a sql database rather than Crystal Reports or what have you, that's what they get.

Yes, I could probably set up a virtual environment with whatever Linux-compatible hypervisor is out there, and subsequently run Windows under Linux that way, but that's a hell of a lot of unnecessary CPU overhead when that processing power could be going to the programs I'm using directly like I'm doing now.

Campaign all you want for Linux, I don't care, knock yourself out, but I'll be sticking with Windows, one way or another.

Oh that’s fine I wasn’t meaning to be all banner adds here lol. To each there own to be honest. You sound like you have a career or a tech job which is fine. Myself however am on a disability pension so in that regards I rather use my money in games than try and buy a decent system just to run the next Elephant iteration of windows. In other words I been MMO gaming for a very long time I am tired of upgrading to new systems every time a billion dollar corporation feels

The need to make more money… that’s all.

Edited by CKNORTH

I guess what it all boils down too is how many people with COVID still lurking will say Heck yeah I’ll spend a few thousand on a new system to play the latest Games or how many of us will say F This BullSheet and switch to Nintendo or Linux Lol

It's not that simple.

I like your enthusiasm but there's a reason if Linux users are less than 5% of the PC share, though Linux dominates the server market.

To use Linux you have to make choices, sometimes you just can't.

Gamers are a minority of the userbase, those building a PC specifically for gaming want to play the latest titles, most of them are forced to use Windows because of DRM.

Many people use their PCs for several activities, not just gaming, and there are business applications that only work on Windows (or MAC), WINE is not an option in several cases.

If you jump on Linux impulsively, without solid reasons to do so, you may end up going back to Windows sooner or later, that happens a lot unfortunately.

Linux is a wonderful system, I love it to bits, but it's just not for everyone.

It's not that simple.

I like your enthusiasm but there's a reason if Linux users are less than 5% of the PC share, though Linux dominates the server market.

To use Linux you have to make choices, sometimes you just can't.

Gamers are a minority of the userbase, those building a PC specifically for gaming want to play the latest titles, most of them are forced to use Windows because of DRM.

Many people use their PCs for several activities, not just gaming, and there are business applications that only work on Windows (or MAC), WINE is not an option in several cases.

If you jump on Linux impulsively, without solid reasons to do so, you may end up going back to Windows sooner or later, that happens a lot unfortunately.

Linux is a wonderful system, I love it to bits, but it's just not for everyone.

That is very true. I guess my reference is to this game and this game alone why I do see your point. I never mix my gaming PC with a Work machine. As it goes don’t mix business with pleasure sort of thing. Too many things gets mixed up between gaming and work machines when you only use one. That is of course a personal preference. Sure you need windows for work I get that but instead of turfing your old machine that a lot of people Would die to get just to own something like that. Use it for gaming only. I’m not one to say to anyone do this or do that I just think a lot about how hard things are getting to come by for a lot of people at least that I know. Especially in the recent years. I mean if your going to sandwich your old PC at least donate it to someone or something that can use it.

As for the debate whether or not windows will run SWTOR or not I am pretty sure it will. It really shouldn’t be as concerning as other points made in this thread.

I never mix my gaming PC with a Work machine.

That's an excellent practice, to protect both your personal stuff and working data.

I work for a big enterprise, we have company PCs that we use exclusively to work. We're forced to use Windows on them but I'm allowed to have a Linux VM that I can use for some tasks.

My own PCs all have Linux.

As for the debate whether or not windows will run SWTOR or not I am pretty sure it will. It really shouldn’t be as concerning as other points made in this thread.

You can't ever be 100% sure when upgrades are involved, even a regular patch can break stuff, not only on operating systems (can happen on Linux too) but on application software as well, that's why testing exists.

At my company, we always test every kind of updates before releasing into production, even if we're confident they'll work (most of the times they do but something unexpected can always happen).

Home users are even more "critical" because of the vast array of different configurations, there's no way to predict with certainty what will happen, you can't foresee every problem that could arise, though you can avoid most of the bad stuff by properly testing beforehand.

Everyone is free to do what they want ofc, but when big OS upgrades are involved, like Windows 11, I would suggest playing it safe and waiting a few days to see what happens.

That's an excellent practice, to protect both your personal stuff and working data.

I work for a big enterprise, we have company PCs that we use exclusively to work. We're forced to use Windows on them but I'm allowed to have a Linux VM that I can use for some tasks.

My own PCs all have Linux.

You can't ever be 100% sure when upgrades are involved, even a regular patch can break stuff, not only on operating systems (can happen on Linux too) but on application software as well, that's why testing exists.

At my company, we always test every kind of updates before releasing into production, even if we're confident they'll work (most of the times they do but something unexpected can always happen).

Home users are even more "critical" because of the vast array of different configurations, there's no way to predict with certainty what will happen, you can't foresee every problem that could arise, though you can avoid most of the bad stuff by properly testing beforehand.

Everyone is free to do what they want ofc, but when big OS upgrades are involved, like Windows 11, I would suggest playing it safe and waiting a few days to see what happens.

That is without a doubt the best idea so far is see what happens. I notice that a lot of stuff especially with different tech stuff people have it is so widely varied that it’s impossible to know exactly what will happen to Each of them. Great advice I think I never really considered how many different types tech one type of OS has to accommodate for.

Steam for Linux is a thing. Steam is a form of DRM. Ergo, there is nothing about Linux that prevents DRM systems from working.

I should have clarified that better.

With DRM systems I didn't mean something like Steam that either checks on licenses on your account or requires always-on connections, ofc that works, Steam itself does work on Linux.

I meant copy-protection/anti-piracy stuff like Denuvo for example, those do not work on Linux.

Edited by silviaslack

I should have clarified that better.

With DRM systems I didn't mean something like Steam that either checks on licenses on your account or requires always-on connections, ofc that works, Steam itself does work on Linux.

I meant copy-protection/anti-piracy stuff like Denuvo for example, those do not work on Linux.

So essentially what are we talking about here. Work or Gaming? Because gaming works fine as far as I can tell hehe. With steam and Linux thus far.

Edited by CKNORTH

So essentially what are we talking about here. Work or Gaming? Because gaming works fine as far as I can tell hehe. With steam and Linux thus far.

Gaming. Denuvo is a copy protection system (DRM) for games.

Gaming works fine on Steam/Linux as long as you don't play games that require a DRM system like Denuvo (or any other similar system).

MMOs are free from such types of DRM, so you won't have any problems playing those.

I too have been playing on Linux for years, no problems so far, but my points were more general, because we were also discussing why not everyone can ditch Windows in favor of Linux (not everyone plays only MMOs, not everyone use their PCs only to play games)..