Will Swtor be Windows 11 compatible?

TrixxieTriss

Hi there,

in the meantime I have installed Windows 11 on my gaming PC via the Microsoft Insider program > https://insider.windows.com/en-us/?omkt=en-us >> Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22468.rs_prerelease.210924-1215 and have been playing over it for a few days.

There weren't and aren't any problems - not even with SWTOR

- even if this may disappoint some. :)

I didn't expect any major problems either. The PC is from 03/2019.

But I'm already looking forward to the nagging when Windows 11 will be officially distributed in the next few days. In my opinion, there will only be problems if your hardware is not compatible or if you have any garbage programs on your PC.

(sorry for my bad English) :)

Hi there,

in the meantime I have installed Windows 11 on my gaming PC via the Microsoft Insider program > https://insider.windows.com/en-us/?omkt=en-us >> Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22468.rs_prerelease.210924-1215 and have been playing over it for a few days.

I did much the same, but several weeks ago.

I didn't expect any major problems either. The PC is from 03/2019.

And that was my experience. I even replaced the motherboard out from under it in the meantime (the old one got a short-circuit somewhere)(1), and still no problems. (It didn't even mind that the TPM disappeared along with the old motherboard, although I dived into the UEFI and activated it on the new board *after* discovering that it wasn't there.)

But I'm already looking forward to the nagging when Windows 11 will be officially distributed in the next few days. In my opinion, there will only be problems if your hardware is not compatible or if you have any garbage programs on your PC.

The hardware compatibility stuff is actually pretty solid - if they know the hardware is wildly incompatible, Windows Update won't even install Windows 11. One of my PCs got kicked off the core of Windows Insider because it's so old (built in 2011) that TPM 2.0 wasn't even a thing yet, and it has a pre-UEFI BIOS.

(1) The old motherboard was an MSI Raider X299 with an i7 7820X that I bought at the very end of 2017. I replaced it with a hot-box Asus ROG X299 board and an i9 10980XE, which is such huge overkill for SWTOR that it's not funny.(2)

(2) I tell a lie. It's hysterical.

Hi there,

That's great to hear! The main reason I want to switch to windows 11 is because it fixes a dual monitor issue that's been plaguing windows 10 since it came out. Would be weird if games stopped being compatible with windows 11 (at least those which aren't 20 years old) considering it's supposed to be "the best windows for gaming ever" (like every new edition lol).

Also don't worry, your English is good!

That's great to hear! The main reason I want to switch to windows 11 is because it fixes a dual monitor issue that's been plaguing windows 10 since it came out.

What issue? I use it and haven't had any issues. Know a lot of folks who regularly use 2- monitors with Windows 10.

Of course SWTOR is compatible, barely anything changed in Windows 11. Most pointless upgrade, totally unnecessary.

I flighted Windows 11 on my Laptop manufactured January 2017. The CPU has TPM 2.0 but iis not on the official list of supported cpus. I joined the Windows Insider Program, but had to select Dev Channel to receive an update to windows 11. https://i.imgur.com/mj7QAn3.png

SWTOR launched just fine, I think I might have gotten lower frames and stuttering lag in warzones and gsf, but to be fair, I was playing in Leviathan, Tulak Hord and Darth Malgus, getting last minute galactic season points on servers I never play. I don't know if it was placebo, but it felt like load times were slightly faster. Makeb, however, took forever to load like always.

I didn't like what Microsoft did to the start menu. I launch all my programs from start menu, windows 11 only shows 18 icons at a time. You can pin more than 18, but you have to scroll wheel to see more. https://i.imgur.com/PLqVQp1.png

I didn't wait around for further windows release updates and on my fifth day I rolled back to windows 10 right away.

-----

outdated info in spoiler. windows 11 is publicly available outside insider program. October 5th was the release date

I think just about any computer can try Windows 11 if you opt for Dev Channel. You have 10 days to rollback to Windows 10. If you pass 10 days, then you have to clean install back to Windows 10.

If you're on the fence about Windows 11, join the insider program and test it before it comes out October 5th. https://insider.windows.com/register (needs a Microsoft Account)

you have three options for receiving builds in Insider Program

• Windows Release Preview Channel
  • Windows Beta Channel
  • Windows Dev Channel

Dev Channel is the only one that allows unsupported hardware to try Windows 11.

The only requirement is you have to enable full Diagnostics & Feedback.

I have windows home edition, so I had to use regedit to create 2 new registry entries to enable full diagnostics https://superuser.com/a/1554338

Once your Microsoft Account is in the Insider Program and you have full diagnostics & feedback enabled, login to an administrator account and open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program. select 'Dev Channel' now check Windows Update and Windows 11 should be the next update

I bought my laptop March 2017, the first game I played was Mass Effect: Andromeda. The NVIDIA free video game at the time with qualifying purchases of new GPUs was Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands. I don't intend to upgrade or purchase a new computer until Star Wars The Division 2 by Massive Entertainment comes out after 2023. I have no reason to upgrade to a new laptop, the only game I play is SWTOR. The scalpers and GPU miners won, I want to skip NVIDIA 30 series altogether.

Overall, Windows 11 follows the skip cadence of microsoft operating systems.

Windows ME: skip

Windows XP: buy

Windows Vista: skip

Windows 7: buy

Windows 8: skip

Windows 10: get

Windows 11: skip

Windows 12: get

Edited by Falensawino

So while you might be able to run swtor on Windows 11, as I feared (and why I started this thread initially), it’s probably not recommended at this stage because it can tank your gaming performance up to 28% if TVM is active (as reported by multiple testing sites).

Even AMD had released a statement today to say Windows 11 may cause 15% decrease in performance on Zen CPUs.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/541596/windows-11-might-tank-ryzen-cpu-performance-amd-warns.html

So anyone considering upgrading to Windows 11, you should probably wait a few months at least and see if Microsoft can fix these performance issues.

So much for Microsofts claim that Win 11 is the “best OS for gaming”

Edited by TrixxieTriss

So much for Microsofts claim that Win 11 is the “best OS for gaming”

Yeah I'm predicting already that Windows 11 will be Vista 2.0.

It is my hope that Windows 11 is enough of a push to get people to go to Linux. MS has ruled for entirely too long. I'm hoping Valve's Linux-friendly attitude is as contagious as COVID-19.

Yeah I'm predicting already that Windows 11 will be Vista 2.0.

It is my hope that Windows 11 is enough of a push to get people to go to Linux. MS has ruled for entirely too long. I'm hoping Valve's Linux-friendly attitude is as contagious as COVID-19.

If only more game developers supported native run games on Linux, then Windows would probably disappear for gaming.

• 3 weeks later...
Am I reading this right? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications#primaryR3

You must have an internet connection else must run Win11 in S mode (aka safe mode)? S mode only lets you run apps from the Microsoft store. So you can't play any SP video games if your internet goes down?

I believe I read somewhere that there’s a work around. Sorry I can’t find where I read it.

1: This game STILL runs in 32bit mode (with a perverse/messed up dual process type setup that causes issues with discord streaming and other weirdness)

2: Windows always has major issues for at least 1 to 2 years from start

If this was FFXIV? Id say your odds are very good. Or any other "modern" game that is up to current tech specs rationally speaking.

This game is NOT there based on point 1 alone.

People can say all they want about this and that - but to be honest - this game is not as stable as it looks and I can see it clear as day on my system. There are many doubts and I give the odds 1 in 4 (And that's being generous) that it may run - but it won't run great.

It would be different if this game was much like Command and Conquer or Dos Box games like Commander Keen or something that is specifically designed to run in 32 bit POLITELY. As in older games that have been repeatedly polished and tuned over time. This game is not polished by a long-shot - it gives me the sense its long over due for a major overhaul.

This game is very sloppy on the back end frankly - it doesn't instill confidence.

Conclusion - Don't be in a hurry to jump into Windows 11....test first ....if it works - great - if it doesn't - do what I do - don't come within 200 miles of it until its been 1 to 2 years since launch.

Terse? Yes - But Ive been down this road - and I have seen repeated problems with new Windows system launches. Not going there.

If you get it to run - more power to you - but don't expect me to touch it for a good long while.

TRUST BUT VERIFY as the saying goes - only make damn sure you can revert back or you'll be in for a long painful trip.

Would be more concerned about how SWTOR is going to continue at all.

Was once on the Hero Engine website. There was no update since 2018. As a normal consumer, I would assume that the Hero Engine is not developed further. :eek:

I can hereby confirm that SWTOR runs smoothly on Windows 11.

I have got it installed last week and there is NO SINGLE ISSUE with playing any games I have on my laptop.

I repeat, I now play SWTOR on Windows 11 and it goes fine.

So, I guess, the topic can be closed.

I can hereby confirm that SWTOR runs smoothly on Windows 11.

I have got it installed last week and there is NO SINGLE ISSUE with playing any games I have on my laptop.

I repeat, I now play SWTOR on Windows 11 and it goes fine.

So, I guess, the topic can be closed.

NO....it cant.

1 Successful test case with little to no information provided will never convince me of your success.

That is in itself arrogance.

If your going to provide help - do so with thoroughness - how about your laptop specs - what you got for a setup - configuration etc.

Don't start telling people it's all good without care or concern - you are 1 in a million if not billion cases here.

Your "Golden" setup is unique to you. People have a wide variety of different setups going on.

We don't need people ditching their configurations only to find out its not so simple as you claimed it was.

Trust...but verify is key here.

Common sense should be the focus - not throwing ourselves off a cliff.

NO....it cant.

1 Successful test case with little to no information provided will never convince me of your success.

That is in itself arrogance.

If your going to provide help - do so with thoroughness - how about your laptop specs - what you got for a setup - configuration etc.

Don't start telling people it's all good without care or concern - you are 1 in a million if not billion cases here.

Your "Golden" setup is unique to you. People have a wide variety of different setups going on.

Ohh boy, aren't we angry somehow?

1 in a million? Really, come on!

If a computer is able to run Windows 11, then it gets the update, and poofff you go!

Not sure why are you interested in my specs, but to satisfy your curiosity, here they are:

CPU: Intel® Core i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz

RAM: 16,0 GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Laptop GPU.

Refresh rate: 240 Hz

System: Windows 11 Home

Version: 21H2

Happy now?

Ohh boy, aren't we angry somehow?

1 in a million? Really, come on!

If a computer is able to run Windows 11, then it gets the update, and poofff you go!

Not sure why are you interested in my specs, but to satisfy your curiosity, here they are:

CPU: Intel® Core i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz

RAM: 16,0 GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Laptop GPU.

Refresh rate: 240 Hz

System: Windows 11 Home

Version: 21H2

Happy now?

Did you have to do any configuration changes? Compatibility?

Less generic more details for those who want to know.

What you view as anger is your lack of foresight and understanding consequences of what your saying.

Did you have to do any configuration changes? Compatibility?

Less generic more details for those who want to know.

What you view as anger is your lack of foresight and understanding consequences of what your saying.

"less generic", now, that's a good one!

Listen, if i had to do ANYTHING except accepting the update pushed by Microsoft, I'd certainly inform about that.

I have done nothing extra, except running the update from Win 10 to Win 11.

It took about 10 minutes and that was ALL.

Nothing has changed in any of my programs (and I have more than games) , indeed the Windows layout changed mostly in some of the visual features (which I do not particularly like - because it starts looking more and more like IOs) but in terms of functionality, none of (so far) used programs had ANY problem with running.

So, it is not THAT frightening, really.

It seems to me like it is rather a cosmetic change than a "systemic" one, but I am just a simple user or the computers, not a developer.

So, if just an random user tells you, it it works, it works.

"less generic", now, that's a good one!

Listen, if i had to do ANYTHING except accepting the update pushed by Microsoft, I'd certainly inform about that.

I have done nothing extra, except running the update from Win 10 to Win 11.

It took about 10 minutes and that was ALL.

Nothing has changed in any of my programs (and I have more than games) , indeed the Windows layout changed mostly in some of the visual features (which I do not particularly like - because it starts looking more and more like IOs) but in terms of functionality, none of (so far) used programs had ANY problem with running.

So, it is not THAT frightening, really.

It seems to me like it is rather a cosmetic change than a "systemic" one, but I am just a simple user or the computers, not a developer.

So, if just an random user tells you, it it works, it works.

That's all I'm looking for - and likely others - but don't think your one case means "case closed"

Need to see many more people saying the same thing disclosing this kind of info.

Your laptop is one of many configs out there....likening to other PC's - not all are equal.

I know that my PC won't run Windows 11 so I need to start looking into upgrading my computer but it will probably have to wait until sometime next year. Right now I'm looking at needing a new Mother Board, Memory, CPU, copy of Windows 11 and maybe a new power supply. I should be able to use everything else and upgrade those as needed plus it will be cheaper to upgrade as I need to instead of buying a new PC.

I know that my PC won't run Windows 11 so I need to start looking into upgrading my computer but it will probably have to wait until sometime next year. Right now I'm looking at needing a new Mother Board, Memory, CPU, copy of Windows 11 and maybe a new power supply. I should be able to use everything else and upgrade those as needed plus it will be cheaper to upgrade as I need to instead of buying a new PC.

Don't upgrade your computer for just "Windows 11" - you'll want a list of reasons to do so beyond that.

The incentive to go to Win11 isn't really there.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Yeah and this is where the major problem comes into play. I also have a brand new PC with the abominable Win11 and unlike the systems updated from Win10, there is no reverse compatibility with Win10! Win10 is not even on the list as Win11 was developed as the new and improved Vista and boy did that one went into flames fast. Long story short I also can't run the game and I really hope they make an new game client fast :/