To people who think Kaliyo is uesless

Ahebish

She is a bad tank. That's all she is supposed to do, thus she is useless after about level 35 or so.

At 30 you can take that 33 elite with any companion if you try hard enough.

Vector could tank is just fine if you go healing spec.

From about Hoth to Corellia she can't tank for crap.

Also, your link is broken now.

She is not a bad tank, and she is absolutely not useless past 35. Barring spoiler information that I'll avoid, I used her everywhere I could and I still use her to tank my dailies on Illum. She does just fine.

And yes, I took down golds 3 levels higher than me with her on many occasions.

She may not be perfect, and may not even stack up against the others for all I know, but please stop spouting BS claiming that she can't tank X or Y, or that she's "useless".

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is not a bad tank, and she is absolutely not useless past 35. Barring spoiler information that I'll avoid, I used her everywhere I could and I still use her to tank my dailies on Illum. She does just fine.

And yes, I took down golds 3 levels higher than me with her on many occasions.

She may not be perfect, and may not even stack up against the others for all I know, but please stop spouting BS claiming that she can't tank X or Y, or that she's "useless".

I think the point he was trying to make is that it's YOU, not Kaliyo that's doing so well against them. If you had another companion you'd do much better.

If Kaliyo was to good in beta with a healer speced OP. Then just give the sniper tree a mitigation buff for her. Or change the droid stun to a everything stun. Either of these things would make her useful for sniper agents.

Well ya, that tends to happen in group activities as well with players.... difference is player tanks have healers, kaliyo doesn't.

Simple logic

Incidently here's the video for those who think it can't be done.

33_Gold_Elite.avi

Uhm... In this video that is supposed to state your case for you, uhm... Kalyio dies. The elite kills her. Then you die at the hands of his minions. Sure you took the elite out first, but.... then you died.

This might have spoilers in it, so if that bothers you then don't read it.

I love Kaliyo. I'm a heal specced Op and she's my favorite companion. A lot of people have said that she's not as good as SCORPIO... So, when I got SCORPIO I dumped 150k into her gear and took her out to Voss... I played with her for about an hour before I went back to a lesser geared Kaliyo. Seemed to me she dropped just as quick as Kaliyo, if not quicker. The main difference between her and Kaliyo is that she is a melee tank whereas Kaliyo is ranged. I would actually prefer a melee tank, but I like Kaliyo so much more that I am willing to run with her over the melee tank.

Kaliyo likes my character. She's fun to be around. I get to dress her up and make her look the way I want. SCORPIO is a hunk of metal that would kill me if not for the safety codes preventing her from doing so. She has no customization. You can't put new armor on her. Meh. I've tried all the companions, with several different specs... None of them have lasted more than 30-60 minutes before I pulled Kaliyo back out. She's been my go-to companion since I was level 6 or 7.

I used Kaliyo almost exclusively until Quesh. I quickly started to notice that a couple of Difficult mobs could rip her to shreds whereas before she could take the heat fairly well. I switched to Lokin and though I really don't like running around with some strange old man, I will never look back. I do hope that Temple will provide a good female alternative. I was also getting tired of Kaliyo's anti-imperial attitude. It seemd that every decision as a loyal agent of the Empire tended to piss her off. I have confidence that Temple will approve of my choices.

The second i got Vector i never used Kalyo againf or anything. Oh, i'm Concealment.

Fight against Elite with Kalyo:

1: Kalyo tanks and keeps agro thanks to her taunt's until both are on CD.

2: Kalyo loses Agro and does **** DPS or dies and does no DPS at all.

3: I finish the Elite and revive Kalyo thinking how useless that ... is.

Fight against Elite with Vector:

1: I hidden Strike/Shield and then "break" Agro so Vector gets it.

2: I "take" Agro from Vector before he dies.

3: Elite is dead and me and Vector are looking ******, being generally awesome.

The DPS diffrence between Vector and Kalyo, at least the one I "felt", is ridiculous... All this probably plays out very diffrent when your running a healing-specc but as Conc i want my fights to be as short as possible and thats just where Vector (and Temple) shine.

Edited by Velr

This thread is funny.

I use Kaliyo as a Heal spec IA with no problems. I can kill even level and a little higher golds without any down time (cc, kolto probe, etc). I of course can heal her and outside of hard FP's IA healers have unlimited resources for healing lol. I can solo heroics with her that don't require a end boss to complete. On the few occasions when I was up against an equal level champion I was able to get them to 1/4 health.

I have used Vector, and I do recognize the usefulness of a dps companion. I personally use Temple for trash mobs and general questing (because she uses all my old gear and I can keep her geared very easily). I now use Kaliyo for mainly Boss fights and pulls with a large number of trash mobs. I also keep Kaliyo updated with the latest FP gear and accom mods.

I dont know if it matters, but I also always run a appropriate level Presence stim while doing PvE.

/2 cents

They call it a Heroic 4 for a reason.

4 players not 3 players and a companion.

I suppose I'm the only one who remembers BW stating specifically that some heroics are designed not to be completable with companions.

And FYI, I did Blood and Sand 3 man with kaliyo tanking 3 gold elites 2 silvers.

Granted all 3 gold elites were CC'd we took down the silvers and then systematically took down the elites.

But I guess tactics goes out the window with some people.

Well then they missed their mark considering I can solo heroic fours on my merc (level 41 atm) and have duoed every imp heroic on my jugg with a dps merc friend.

No extra players required. Hell, sometimes we sent our companions out on crafting while doing the fours.

Well then they missed their mark considering I can solo heroic fours on my merc (level 41 atm) and have duoed every imp heroic on my jugg with a dps merc friend.

No extra players required. Hell, sometimes we sent our companions out on crafting while doing the fours.

That does illustrate the point snipers are trying to make nicely. This class is clearly under-performing. I loved the character up until around level 30 when the shortfalls got more and more apparent.

As for Kaliyo... I started taking her out of Guard stance and we do much better in fights now. She has all those attacks that grab aggro, but by taking her out of this stance, she doesn't hold ALL the aggro ALL the time. Having enemies split their fire between us helps immensely.

Now if they'd just fix the bug that puts her back into guard stance by default every time I log off so I don't have to keep remembering to switch it off.

Edited by JediJabroni

• 2 weeks later...
That does illustrate the point snipers are trying to make nicely. This class is clearly under-performing. I loved the character up until around level 30 when the shortfalls got more and more apparent.

As for Kaliyo... I started taking her out of Guard stance and we do much better in fights now. She has all those attacks that grab aggro, but by taking her out of this stance, she doesn't hold ALL the aggro ALL the time. Having enemies split their fire between us helps immensely.

Now if they'd just fix the bug that puts her back into guard stance by default every time I log off so I don't have to keep remembering to switch it off.

Wow. Really? You think Sniper's the only class that has to deal with harder mobs? The NPC's get harder to kill for everyone. It's part of the basic MMO leveling experience. It's a great learning experience for playing your class. I'd deal with it.

Now, here's the thing you all seem to fail to realize. BW gave us all different companions for the different specs. So, for tanks ( I would assume) you would generally use either a dps companion or a healing companion. Healers, would use a dps or tank companion and DPS would use either a tank or DPS companion. Also, a lot of why your companions are underperforming is on you guys. YOU control the companion, it doesn't just run around doing things of it's own cognizance.

That said, own up to the fact that you don't know how to play by admitting you're using the wrong companion, that you don't know how to gear / use them, or both. You'll be much happier when you do. Also, Kaliyo = SCORPIO = AWESOME!!!! I have a hard time choosing between them because they both rock. Yes, I'm an Op Medic.

Edited by Werefox

See, here's the thing you all seem to fail to realize. BW gave us all different companions for the different specs. So, for tanks ( I would assume) you would generally use either a dps companion or a healing companion. Healers, would use a dps or tank companion and DPS would use either a tank or DPS companion. Also, a lot of why your companions are underperforming is on you guys. YOU control the companion, it doesn't just run around doing things of it's own cognizance.

That said, own up to the fact that you don't know how to play by admitting you're using the wrong companion, that you don't know how to gear / use them, or both. You'll be much happier when you do. Also, Kaliyo = SCORPIO = AWESOME!!!! I have a hard time choosing between them because they both rock. Yes, I'm an Op Medic.

This is crap. You're saying a polite version of "l2p nub". You're not just hostile and condescending, but you're *********** wrong.

Try DPSing with a tank companion. How long do you last? Snipers have to do this. Not one elite fight ends with Kaliyo up -- even when she's fully geared up.

The moment I got Doctor Lokin, every elite fight became a cake walk. The only fights where I died were crap-tastic Taris add-fests ("elite's at 33%, hey look, pull behind him respawned and added"), or fights where I started against multiple strong mobs with no Droids to slice and my CC's on cooldown. Literally *no* fight took more than two tries with the pocket healer -- and my Sniper is now 48 and finished with his class quest. I soloed the last couple planets of it at level 47.

So, from a voice of experience: It's not that he's new, it's that you don't want to admit that you're being coddled in easy mode. Unlike you, I've taken both approaches. Healing a tank companion (or tanking with a heal companion) is 20x easier. The sooner you own up to THAT fact, the sooner you can join me in encouraging Bioware to give snipers DPS appropriate to their survivability...and soloing power.

Edited by Thug-Ra

This is crap. You're saying a polite version of "l2p nub". You're not just hostile and condescending, but you're *********** wrong.

Try DPSing with a tank companion. How long do you last? Snipers have to do this. Not one elite fight ends with Kaliyo up -- even when she's fully geared up.

The moment I got Doctor Lokin, every elite fight became a cake walk. The only fights where I died were crap-tastic Taris add-fests ("elite's at 33%, hey look, pull behind him respawned and added"), or fights where I started against multiple strong mobs with no Droids to slice and my CC's on cooldown. Literally *no* fight took more than two tries with the pocket healer -- and my Sniper is now 48 and finished with his class quest. I soloed the last couple planets of it at level 47.

So, from a voice of experience: It's not that he's new, it's that you don't want to admit that you're being coddled in easy mode. Unlike you, I've taken both approaches. Healing a tank companion (or tanking with a heal companion) is 20x easier. The sooner you own up to THAT fact, the sooner you can join me in encouraging Bioware to give snipers DPS appropriate to their survivability...and soloing power.

You know, even though you don't like the truth, you don't have to post your garbage here. I have a buddy who's leveling a sniper (currently level 49) like it's no one's business. And he uses Kaliyo / SCORPIO. His name is Deveroe on "The Bastion". The only people being "coddled" are the players you're making excuses for when they fail at their class.

Hopefully, I'm not discouraging the rest of you by saying/ implying you suck at your class. When I first started playing WoW, a friend of mine told me how bad I sucked at playing a hunter. He said that he would still run with me because we're friends but if I didn't "L2P" no one else would want to. I hated hearing it but it made me a better player. Keep at it. Just don't start crying about imbalances until you've made it all the way to 50 and have gone through some end game content (both PvE and PvP).

Edited by Werefox

Kailyo is one of the better companions IMO, right now I use Doctor Lokin since he can keep me alive longer and we both can live through level 50 Elites, But once he is capped on affection i am gonna go back to her and work her up the last 2k she needs to cap her :)

Edit: All the companions are good in their own way. I can kill an elite with each one, it is all about changing your play style to fit with that companion.

Edited by Legibryn

I dont think she's useless, but when I found out that she brought another guy, (half-naked) into my ship and cheated on me, I tossed that B**** to the curve.. She said she was bored of me. So I'm like f*** her then. So now I just used her for crew skills and use Ensign (my wife) and Doctor Lokin until I get Scorpio lol.

I really wish sith can be an IA, i would love to use to use their "punish" ability on Kaliyo.

Edited by slicjedi

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I play all my characters 4 levels below. If I fight an elite, I'm ALWAYS 3 or 4 levels below it, and Kaliyo is next to useless compared to the tanks and healers you get on Warriors, BH's, and Inqs. Sure she can sometimes beat a mob 3 levels higher, but can almost never beat one 4 levels higher, and her ability to actually tank is sporadic. On top of that, she always dies leaving you to fend for yourself. So yes she can sometimes be used, but it's a comparitive thing really. She's the least useful tank any character gets.

i think she`s ok maybe if your an operative(main reason heals ofc) her personality while funny and the things we learn during her quests(companion quests) never made me trust her,as a sniper she`s dead weight in boss fights and always gotta stop an regenerate after each trash group(boring), Doc Lokin and Raina are my imperial personnel they share my vision and gave me their full support, we all wear medium and have cunning as primary stats so its very simple to share/switch between + I`m loyal to the Empire just as these 2

Kaliyo tanked D7 hardmode for us the other night when our tank DC'd at the start and the groupfindier seemed unable to find us a replacement. 2 melee dps and me as healer went fine. Lost her towards the end of the last boss but she managed fine for the rest of them.