To people who think Kaliyo is uesless

Ahebish

I don't understand how you could not think that Kaliyo is the best character with all the hilarious comments she makes.

this alone makes me use her over scorpio that and the fact that mines pretty well geared for tanking for me, i just heal her and we profit did a few heroic +4s with just her an me (heal spec'd ofc)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaliyo is my preferred companion of the ones I have so far, that being up to the Doc. Vector does do more DPS, but is just too squishy and doesn't pull aggro like Kaliyo does. Kaliyo's DPS is decent enough and I like her AoEs.

Does help that I'm cybertech, so I've got her outfitted with orange gear and keep her armor values up to date.

Personally, I didn't have too many issues with Kaliyo tanking, and I was usually taking on content 2-3 lvls above me - gold mobs included. Sure, she died close to the end of some fights, but mostly that was just me figuring it was close enough and focusing on DPS instead.

Now - the mob in your screenshot can actually be defeated with no companion at all just by kiting it around. I used my DPS pet for them and ran it around in a circle.

These days I have Loken and Vector and generally use Vector - though it means I usually end up tanking the damage myself. Loken's heals didn't seem quite enough to do the job, so the job goes to the stoic boreing insect with the large stick.

I want to like Kaliyo, and use her, since she aligns well with my conversation choices, whereas Vector keeps looking down on my answers. Only thing is, she doesn't old the aggro that well now and takes too much of my time to heal to be worth it. Maybe if she got new armour it would be fine, but it's too many pieces to replace.

Wait until you get to Taris at least before you weigh in on Kaliyo. I personally am beginning to DESPISE her. I love her as a character but my Vector in nearly 10 levels less worth of gear is more efficient. About to get Lokin and I can't wait. Edited by BlindRapture

Wow, Kaliyo is fine, even at later levels (35+), I am not sure how you go about killing and dotting up the targets and using the resources the game gives you..cover, armor reducing attacks, angles..etc. Do you kill a target that Kaliyo is not attacking..you do know you can have her attack YOUR target. If you constantly attack 2 different targets..ya..she IS going to die. /facepalm

I can easily take out elites strongs weaks..or any combination you care to name. I have killed up to 6 targets and accidentally pulling another set of 4-6 ..elites included in both sets of mobs and with judicious use of CD's ( you do use ALL your cool downs for all pulls dont you?) I can 99% of the time survive, and even sometimes she does :) Her aggro is such that she can and does pull ALL mobs off of you...duh she is going to take large hits. News flash...she is not there to survive every fight, she is there to ensure YOU do...dble /facepalm.

L2P and use what is given to you.

whine whine whine..cheese anyone?

Edited by Moulinrogue

You're an operative. This isn't difficult. I took down Darth Zorrid at level 30 WITHOUT a companion and Zhorrid is 32... And much tougher than a Rakghoul. There was alot of wall hiding and healing and sever tendron involved. Also, I used Kaliyo as a tank but she is utter crap. Doctor Lokin and SCORPIO are the only valid companion choices.

I'm level 30 and she has died pretty much any pull on tatooine + with a grey elite dude in a pack with a few normies, or a gold by itself. Usually I have enough time to finish the mob off myself after she dies, but it does mean I have to continually rez and heal her after each fight. I haven't played any other class with a companion so I'm not sure what its like.

Some of you guys are operatives and sound like ur healing her though, won't somebody please think of the snipers?

Lvl 26 and im having todo the same. Fight rez heal her. I have all the Mission gear with her name on it on her aswell.

Does help that I'm cybertech, so I've got her outfitted with orange gear and keep her armor values up to date.

How do you keep her outfitted with orange gear from just being a Cybertech? Or did you mean that you've picked up orange gear along the way and then used Cybertech to make upgraded mods for her mod-able armor you picked up along the way?

But I'm level 32 so far, and I've only had her and Vector. My experience is limited so I can't comment too much. But I've been fairly successful with Kaliyo as a healing operative. I am interested to try out the others but don't want to "waste" too much time with them if they don't offer that much more. So it's interesting to see others' perspectives that have leveled a lot further. So far I'm seeing Lokin and Temple seem to be getting the most votes followed by Kaliyo.

I was hoping to find some revelations here but not much.

I'm a 37 concealment OP and find Kailyo to be the best. Your best damage is with backstab in the rotation so you want the back of the mob. Her AE threat is good and if you use your stuns and interupts on dmg casts she can tank elites without an issue.

Don't forget that you can mount up and then dismount and she will be back at full health. She takes all the damage and you're ready for the next fight after a fast mount/dismount.

I'm eager to see how Temple and Scorpio end up.

I was hoping to find some revelations here but not much.

I'm a 37 concealment OP and find Kailyo to be the best. Your best damage is with backstab in the rotation so you want the back of the mob. Her AE threat is good and if you use your stuns and interupts on dmg casts she can tank elites without an issue.

Don't forget that you can mount up and then dismount and she will be back at full health. She takes all the damage and you're ready for the next fight after a fast mount/dismount.

I'm eager to see how Temple and Scorpio end up.

Revelation: You lose Kaliyo when you get to Corellia. Be prepared for someone else to fill the void.

Revelation: You lose Kaliyo when you get to Corellia. Be prepared for someone else to fill the void.

Thank you for the heads up, and for providing it without lots of excessive spoilers.

I'll be sure to strip her down of good gear before we land and she takes it all away, just in case it's permanent. :)

• 3 weeks later...
'course I was hanging in the back spam healing her the entire time :p

That's the point many people are trying to make. Not everyone is a Medic Op. In fact, not everyone even has any kind of healing option for Kaliyo at all.

As a Sniper, I find her to be completely useless. I can't get through a single fight without her dying on me. I am also finding this to be the case with Khem, with my Inquisitor. The tanking companions in this game are worthless unless you are spec'd in healing and do nothing but buff/heal your comp, all the while spending ten times longer on the fight as your weak and worthless tank comp tries to pretend to be a dd.

I can't stand Kaliyo, she may be a decent tank with the right gear but

- You'll find that Lokin is much more helpful as a non-healer spec

- We're stuck with her and her alone for what feels like FOREVER

- She's ugly (In my arrogant opinion also please tell me it isn't just me that's noticed someone at bioware has an odd fascination with bald chicks?)

- Scorpio fills her tank role far better

The only good things I can say about her is that she doesn't have the harpoon problem like Corso does for the Smuggler (I'd still pick Corso over her though if I could) and some of her comments when you enter areas are entertaining. Other than that she totally goes against my Darkside Imperial Patriot with those little -1's which is kinda annoying.

What people seem to be missing among the sea of trolls is the fact that Tank companions have pretty much the same mitigation as dps companions without the added benefit of actually doing comparable DPS. This problem is directly faulted with their tanking stance which provides the threat and shield chance but ZERO mitigation. I have Kaliyo in equal level blues and even epics pretty much all the time as i have a lvl 50 main and even with all that shiny gear her armor mitigation is a mere 5% higher than my own, and im wearing medium armor while she wears heavy. What is the point of the tanking companion then if they dont get to be as resilient as actual tanks?

Someone mentioned earlier that in beta companions received the additional 60% armor bonus in their tanking stance but this was removed in live because the devs felt people could solo heroics with tanking pets? Fine, but if you decided to remove all of our tanking companions armor, then at least up their DPS by a huge margin to make up for it, because as it stands all im doing is wasting thousands of credits on buying epics for Kaliyo to have her be as squishy as i am as a medium armor wearing DPS class.

attation all peeps, kaliyo is awesome with the right gear.

I'ma sniper on Nar shaddar and had a great chest piece on her and without a weapon ( dont ask) and she tanked for an gold epic without fault. :D

Try getting into 30+ where mobs actually become dangerous

Again it all comes down to the gear they are wearing. For that reason I pick ONE companion that I take with me all the way through to level 50, that way that companion always has the proper gear upgrades. I know this kind of sucks for crafting missions but that stuff really probly should be done after you get to 50.

I'm definitely of the camp that thinks Kaliyo sucks and putting all of your high end gear on your companion shoudn't be how a companion should work.

But everything being said here is completely subjective as there's no combat log or data output we can use to actually analyze and compare between companions and playstyles.

And come on, you beat a single +3 gold end elite at lvl 30 so you think all Kaliyo concerns or issues are invalid or irrelevant for the next 5 or so planets and 20 levels? I'm glad you don't design games.

She is a bad tank. That's all she is supposed to do, thus she is useless after about level 35 or so.

At 30 you can take that 33 elite with any companion if you try hard enough.

Vector could tank is just fine if you go healing spec.

From about Hoth to Corellia she can't tank for crap.

Also, your link is broken now.