To people who think Kaliyo is uesless

Ahebish

As a heal spec op, I solo all level 50 dailies with Kaliyo, including poisonous strat on Ilum and end of torvix. she has a mix of rakata and columi gear. was also doing Kaon HM for the rakghoul weekly and our tank disconnected right before the last boss. I got Kaliyo out and she tanked it just fine

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize, don't you, that all npc tanks are the same...

Gear them up in equivalent gear, and they are all the same. The only difference is between Ranged Tanks and Melee Tanks, in that they hold the enemies in different places.

I prefer Melee tanks, but that has nothing to do with who's who.

Also, be aware that you can't gear SCORPIO past crafted gear, unless you're willing to spend 600k-1.5mil on each individual armoring on the GTN. Kaliyo, at leat, can still wear Tionese-Campaign Bounty Hunter gear.

this seems to be the same arguement I see on most forums. all the classes that I've leved (probably far too many), and I tend to see a sepcific trend:

Most tank Comps slow down in their 30's. We tend to get skills/abilities to compensate for the 31+ Mob buff (they mobs abilities jump up drastically post 30), but our tanking companions don't seem to get the same scaling at that point.

Most DPS companions DO scale with us (could simply be how gear affects DPS classes vs. mitigations). Healer Comps are a different perspective....since they are there to keep you up, It's all about you maximizing your damage to kill the mobs...or tank them, etc. But I think allot of it is playstyle....many of us get real used to our tank Comps early on as they're all you have. Especially with the Agent...you don't get anything else until alderaan! so you have probably already adapted your playstyle to Kaliyo...and since you like how it works out, you are obviously going to like using her more.

although my Op isn't high enough yet to know, Kaliyo feels very much like Qyzen did on my shadow. very effective and enjoyable pre-Alderaan, but post-Aalderaan it was tougher to keep them going (especially on my non healing shadow). My lvl 50 toons rarely bring their tanks coms out at all...once geared in columi +, there's simply no reason...DPS comps kill so fast that there's little difference in their health and that of the tank comps.

As an example, Torian on my Merc is columi/rakata. He has more health then about 3/4 of the peeps i run Torvix with, and he kills almost as fast as they do. if I switch identical gear over to blizz (the merc version of Kaliyo), it simply isn't as fast. health is negligible at that point, as I can keep up with just about any damage that's given to Tor. But Blizz sees play time just cause hes totally awesome. Just watching him pull out that rocket launcher is worth the extra kill time. So it all still goes back to playstyle and preference.

All tank companions can tank fine. It's just all about gear.

Among the classes, the only differentiation between tank companions is melee and ranged.

Melee tanks are like Khem, Broonmark. Ranged tanks include Kaliyo, Pierce etc.

For either melee or ranged tanks, they have different skill names but if you look at the numbers and functionality, they are basically replicates.

So it doesn't make much sense to say, for example, Pierce tanks well and Kaliyo sucks.

There are tiny differences sometimes, like Khem does self-heal for a small amount if he does the killing blow.

But that is certainly not a deciding factor whether a tank companion sucks or not.

As far as I remember, the only exception is perhaps Xalek, a very unique character and which is why I love him so much. He is both melee and ranged, wears light armor, but has a higher base defense than other tank companions.

Kaliyo, on the other hand, is just like other ranged tank companions. She has no special abilities like Khem and Xalek do.

Kaliyo so far is the least awful of the companions, I've enoucntered, except for T7. The only thing I don't like about her is a complaint that universal to companions.

Many of the speechs options with affection resutls, often seem to be completely the opposite of what's spoken by the toon and so there are are far too many cases where picking what should be favorable, or at the very least netraul with Kal, end up in loss of affection.

Some of them aren't opposite, they just make no sense whatsoever.

The few of kali's that seem to work properly or at least make sense, tend to be fun and amusing. They don't often interfere with dark/light choices so she can be be pretty flexible.

As a tank, she does seem to be weakening rapidly around the 20s. I've been upgrading her with quest reward gear but she's taking damage fast. Frankly though, she's doing better than quyzen fess ( I really hate fess) on my consular did at similar levels and she doesn't have as many hateful AoEs which interfere with CC.

She holds agro well, isn't hideous to look at like most of the companions, her dialogue isn't as annoying as other companions, semi useful crew skills for me, pretty varied combat options. I give her 4/10, which is the second highest score of any companion I've tried so far. T7 beats her with a score of 5/10.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been leveling as a Lethality Operative, and a new player to this game. I'm a cybertech, so early on I outfitted myself and Kaliyo with all custom gear and updated it every few levels or so.

Kaliyo got the job done, but there were many fights where I was trying to slap out several heals on her and was left energy starved. I like her, and there's nothing really wrong with her I guess, but I haven't used her now since I got Doctor Lokin.

When I first got Vector, I did the same thing. Geared him out in custom gear, updated mods etc. He seemed (to me) to do even LESS damage than Kaliyo. And he did not hold ANY agro over me unless I sent him attacking a target and didn't attack it myself, in which case he was always busted up and/or dead.

When I first got Doctor Lokin, even in his crappy green stuff, no helmet, no gun, no knife....his heals were more than adequate for me to dance around and slice stuff up fairly fast with. Only thing I miss out on is some backstabbing, but as lethality that's not as much of an issue.

Honestly, kinda pissed me off I had to wait so long to get a healer companion. Kaliyo's probably pretty ok if you're heal-spec ops, but only meh-useful for dps operative and sniper as well.

Vector, to me, just seemed plain useless. Maybe I'll outfit him and try him again since I read some of your glowing stuff but even if I CC'ed a mob or two he just seemed to get torn up like tissue paper.

Edited by Laethius

Well, from experience, using a tank as a non-healer will result in the tank companion dying as fast as a dps, the only difference is, if you attack the same one as the tank, the enemies will not attack you until the tank companion is defeated, but that doesn't change the fact that without the tank stance armor bonus that bioware removed from it, using tank companions without being a healer to heal them non-stop, there is no point in using them when you have a choice.

I love sending her after people when im ganking in Black Hole (Mines geared with BattleMaster / WarHero DPS gear + Tank Ear,Imp and Offhand in Tank Stance) and holy **** she rips people apart AND keep their companion at her :D Edited by Masarko

Well, from experience, using a tank as a non-healer will result in the tank companion dying as fast as a dps, the only difference is, if you attack the same one as the tank, the enemies will not attack you until the tank companion is defeated, but that doesn't change the fact that without the tank stance armor bonus that bioware removed from it, using tank companions without being a healer to heal them non-stop, there is no point in using them when you have a choice.

if you're a concealment operative you need to be able to backstab whenever its off cooldown. so having a tank companion like kaliyo can help if you take her taunt ability off autocast and you control when she taunts. this lets you backstab if you happen to get aggro, which you probably will because your dps will be a lot higher than your companion's

You do realize, don't you, that all npc tanks are the same...

Gear them up in equivalent gear, and they are all the same. The only difference is between Ranged Tanks and Melee Tanks, in that they hold the enemies in different places.

I prefer Melee tanks, but that has nothing to do with who's who.

Also, be aware that you can't gear SCORPIO past crafted gear, unless you're willing to spend 600k-1.5mil on each individual armoring on the GTN. Kaliyo, at leat, can still wear Tionese-Campaign Bounty Hunter gear.

eh? modable droid bits are fairly easy to find so scorpio is as easy to set up as the others albeit with the added cost of extracting mods from tionese-campaign to go in them

It doesn't really bother me that she is useless combat-wise. It is just that she is by far the most annoying and despicable companion story-wise of all classes (not to mention completely inappropriate for the given class and not to mention you are stuck with her almost until Tatooine). Edited by Path-x

It doesn't really bother me that she is useless combat-wise. It is just that she is by far the most annoying and despicable companion story-wise of all classes (not to mention completely inappropriate for the given class and not to mention you are stuck with her almost until Tatooine).

Holy necro batman!

lol I remember when I made this thread long *** time ago.