Mercenary Interrupt?

Durzaka

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's late in the thread but for ever who is still paying attention...

Interrupts are not that powerful in SWTOR. They certainly help but more for pve and most end game bosses are immune to that anyways. They only lock the player/npc from the ability for 4 seconds unless spec'd appropriately and it only affects 1 ability, not a pool, so if you are worth your salt, you will have plenty of other abilities to reach back to.

I play a pvp hybrid healer with loads of success and I very rarely get interrupted. I fake cast constantly which makes interrupts obsolete... in fact, the "Afterburners" talent is much more effective against a player like me. If i do become interrupted, my build has 2 other heals I can fall back on... long winded way of saying that interrupts are not the mechanic that makes the entire difference.

It would be nice to have an Interrupt, but it feels to me after playing 50 Sorc, 46 Op, and now 42 Merc BH, that interrupt for this class would give us a slight edge in an unbalanced way. I spec to gain lots of cc for my Sorc because they live and die by it, BH's do not.

The real point to this post in my head was to really point out the usefulness of fake casting players as a healer... No more interrupts

Today I learned of a skill called Jet Charge. It's deep in the Shield Tech tree of Powertech:

Instant

Cooldown: 15s

Range: 30 m

Jumps to a distant target, dealing 447 kinetic damage, interrupting the target's current action and immobilizing the target for 3 seconds. Cannot be used against targets in cover.

This would be perfect for arsenal merc, even if we're mostly ranged, being forced into close quarters could be the balance for the positives.

Replace shoulder slam with this. Great idea.

Edited by Verraton

It's late in the thread but for ever who is still paying attention...

Interrupts are not that powerful in SWTOR. They certainly help but more for pve and most end game bosses are immune to that anyways. They only lock the player/npc from the ability for 4 seconds unless spec'd appropriately and it only affects 1 ability, not a pool, so if you are worth your salt, you will have plenty of other abilities to reach back to.

I play a pvp hybrid healer with loads of success and I very rarely get interrupted. I fake cast constantly which makes interrupts obsolete... in fact, the "Afterburners" talent is much more effective against a player like me. If i do become interrupted, my build has 2 other heals I can fall back on... long winded way of saying that interrupts are not the mechanic that makes the entire difference.

It would be nice to have an Interrupt, but it feels to me after playing 50 Sorc, 46 Op, and now 42 Merc BH, that interrupt for this class would give us a slight edge in an unbalanced way. I spec to gain lots of cc for my Sorc because they live and die by it, BH's do not.

The real point to this post in my head was to really point out the usefulness of fake casting players as a healer... No more interrupts

Interrupts are incredibly powerful. It's just that players are so bad that they interrupt the first thing they see without thinking(if they do it at all).

Healers only have 1 heal that is necessary to interrupt. The rest can all be DPS'd through without no issues. If they nail that heal you're dead, you can't fake cast it either because if you do that then you lose enough HPS that they can DPS through it anyways.

Most DPS also rely on one spell to cast off (tracer, FL, Lightning bolt etc etc) that if you interrupt brings their DPS to a near stand still.

• 3 weeks later...
so i read 2 pages of this thread...its probably the best bit of teenage girl drama that ive ever seen. after 2 pages though i couldnt take it anymore. I learned specifically from this thread that i can use rocket punch and jet boost as a cd. i am a little confused about the on the trail being used an option to reset your electro dart cuz i thought that cd didnt work in pvp but i could be wrong. I saw anilles post twice on this thread in the first 2 pages and i completely agree with his assessment of this thread and the BH CLASS in general. i love my bounty hunter there are so many options and we do kick *** in pvp . even without any interrupt...its not like we cant kite either? OH AND I LOVED WOW TOO. holy pally FTW!!

so i read 2 pages of this thread...its probably the best bit of teenage girl drama that ive ever seen. after 2 pages though i couldnt take it anymore. I learned specifically from this thread that i can use rocket punch and jet boost as a cd. i am a little confused about the on the trail being used an option to reset your electro dart cuz i thought that cd didnt work in pvp but i could be wrong. I saw anilles post twice on this thread in the first 2 pages and i completely agree with his assessment of this thread and the BH CLASS in general. i love my bounty hunter there are so many options and we do kick *** in pvp . even without any interrupt...its not like we cant kite either? OH AND I LOVED WOW TOO. holy pally FTW!!

yeah you probably would agree with someone that doesnt know what they are talking about. get past level 15 then come back here.

BTW, could you also level up your paragraph structuring skill as well?

thank you.

I just don't get the knockback argument. Since when did we become pyrotechs? What are you doing being in melee range?

Using a knockback as interrupt requires you to be in range, which quite frankly, asks you to play stupidly. You should be using terrain to protect your squishy behind, and if you are positioning yourself for push interrupts, you negate this entirely.

Oh and lets not forget the final inferiority of push interrupts. Full resolve bar, still casts. Sorcerer sees someone with a full resolve bar, jolt, oh my! No more cast.

I just don't get the knockback argument. Since when did we become pyrotechs? What are you doing being in melee range?

Using a knockback as interrupt requires you to be in range, which quite frankly, asks you to play stupidly. You should be using terrain to protect your squishy behind, and if you are positioning yourself for push interrupts, you negate this entirely.

I just dont get that either since that whole discussion came up here. The stupidity was annoying at first, but now its just sad, that people just dont get the difference between CC abilitys and interrupts. And it is just a mystery to me why people think, that an pseudo interrupt like rocket punch is adequate for a pure range class spec like the merc.

Arsenal shouldn't get an interrupt. It does zip againt most melee, we already wreck other ranged, and you should be teaming up to take down any healer worth interrupting anyway.

Pyro on the other hand could use one deep in the tree. They play more as harriers, and really can't slug it out vs. ranged without los abuse. I actually think a 12 second cd interrupt is exactly what that tree needs to be a little more useful, especially with the nerf to dots coming.

Arsenal shouldn't get an interrupt. It does zip againt most melee, we already wreck other ranged, and you should be teaming up to take down any healer worth interrupting anyway.

Pyro on the other hand could use one deep in the tree. They play more as harriers, and really can't slug it out vs. ranged without los abuse. I actually think a 12 second cd interrupt is exactly what that tree needs to be a little more useful, especially with the nerf to dots coming.

not everyone pvp, much less have it as their primary focus.

the point is that no other class has to spec into a certain tree to get an interrupt.

as a merc healer that leveled up healing, i dreaded the mobs that had heals, because it was always a 5 minute fight.

Depends on what you want to interrupt. Healing? Get in melee range and interrupt. Damage? LoS or knockback, your choice.

This comes down to positioning. Frankly squishy caster classes are doing the same thing you are. Looking for positions that minimize visibility and maximize DPS/healing. So if you knock them out of these places you destroy their positioning. So no, getting in melee range of caster classes is not stupid, because they aren't melee classes anyways and their interrupts are going to work on you no matter how far away you are.

Oh and lets not forget the final inferiority of push interrupts. Full resolve bar, still casts. Sorcerer sees someone with a full resolve bar, jolt, oh my! No more cast.

This I agree 100% with. All interrupts should be subject to resolve, or we should get a knockback that works through resolve.

Depends on what you want to interrupt. Healing? Get in melee range and interrupt. Damage? LoS or knockback, your choice.

And a range class is to forced into melee why?

Funny thing is, as a pure range spec we have the worst escape mechanism, but everybody tells to get exactly there, melee, the last place to be... to work somehow around a crappy class design by denying a ability everybody else has.

There are many other threads mercs complain about the survival in melee, because there nearly is none except you be lucky and in hutball. And people agree, even non mercs.

But when it comes to interrupt, everytime: "hey you have jet boost" Which btw ist'n an interrupt, no matter how may times its repeated here.

So, to "interrupt" someone, i have to walk to him because i have no ability to get there fast, use my "interrupt", which isn't one, and then try to get away with an ability i also not have...

I'm the only one, who finds that absolutely ridiculous?

Maybe BW should take away the interrupt from half the other classes, everybody get an umbrella for the **** storm...

Edited by Devoter

And a range class is to forced into melee why?

Because you aren't interrupting melee? Do you find healers and sorcs standing in the middle of Assassins and Mauraders? No, you find them around the outside. Casting classes are RANGED classes by definition. They aren't going to stand on top of melee to cast (because like you, they aren't stupid), so no you will not be forced into MELEE to interrupt casting.

Funny thing is, as a pure range spec we have the worst escape mechanism, but everybody tells to get exactly there, melee, the last place to be... to work somehow around a crappy class design by denying a ability everybody else has.

Moot point see above

There are many other threads mercs complain about the survival in melee, because there nearly is none except you be lucky and in hutball. And people agree, even non mercs.

But when it comes to interrupt, everytime: "hey you have jet boost" Which btw ist'n an interrupt, no matter how may times its repeated here.

Moot point see above.

So, to "interrupt" someone, i have to walk to him because i have no ability to get there fast, use my "interrupt", which isn't one, and then try to get away with an ability i also not have...

Again moot point.

Because you aren't interrupting melee? Do you find healers and sorcs standing in the middle of Assassins and Mauraders? No, you find them around the outside. Casting classes are RANGED classes by definition. They aren't going to stand on top of melee to cast (because like you, they aren't stupid), so no you will not be forced into MELEE to interrupt casting.

Then where is my RANGED interrupt or RANGED knockback since I'm a RANGED class...

Nope, but someone asked, if mercs get an battle rez any time soon, because... well only healing spec without one. Devs: No. And that was the lead combat designer i think. If that dude don't get it why only the merc don't get those base lie abilites... well i wouldn't count on the interrupt... seems devs are not playing mercs oder the forum whine was loud enough... Edited by Devoter

I used rocket punch with knockback for an interrupt, yeah it's a bit limited since you need to be within range and need to be arsenal. Other than that, think outside the box to interrupt the target.

Soooo... why does merc/mando not get interrupt but sorc does?

Edited by Sookster

Soooo... why does merc/mando not get interrupt but sorc does?

if you look at the classes on a broader scale, and how well developed they are (not just in terms of interrupt), you have your answer.

basically, BW just put a lot more time into sorc development.

merc not having an interrupt is a very good exhibit that BW developers never played a Merc Healer while questing.

healing stuff to death is difficult when the opponent is a healer too.

Good lord, some people just don't get it...

Agreed. After rolling a ton of alts, not having an interrupt has made me completely hate my Merc in PvP. How do we get Bioware to respond to this? They seem to ignore all of the threads about the Merc interrupts.