Mercenary Interrupt?

Durzaka

Bioware should just change the name of the Jet Boost feat in the Arsenal tree to "Jet Inerrupt", problem solved...

Seriously though, you can't have everything. I want a car that goes 0-60 in 3 secs, is all wheel drive, can fit a family of 6 with groceries and camping equipment, fit in a subcomact parking spot, costs $2.50 and runs on my farts... not gonna happen...

Learn to adapt a bit. There are players out there that make it work, and make it work well. Also, I feel that this game is heavily dependent upon teamwork. 1v1 semantics don't hold much value. It's cool to mess around and duel your friends, also fun when you run into some 1v1 PvP when you're questing, but for the most part, it's a team game, and I'm sure SOMEBODY in the group has an interrupt. Unless you're rolling in a strict BH Merc group for some reason

Merc is one of the hardest hitting advanced classes in the game whether you go Arsenal or Pyro and like I said before, you can't have it all. Add in a "real" interrupt to our arsenal (see what I did there) and we'd be ridiculously OP. You just want everything to melt in front of the awesome force and power that is you. You'll have better luck driving around in my new car...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware should just change the name of the Jet Boost feat in the Arsenal tree to "Jet Inerrupt", problem solved...

Seriously though, you can't have everything. I want a car that goes 0-60 in 3 secs, is all wheel drive, can fit a family of 6 with groceries and camping equipment, fit in a subcomact parking spot, costs $2.50 and runs on my farts... not gonna happen...

Learn to adapt a bit. There are players out there that make it work, and make it work well. Also, I feel that this game is heavily dependent upon teamwork. 1v1 semantics don't hold much value. It's cool to mess around and duel your friends, also fun when you run into some 1v1 PvP when you're questing, but for the most part, it's a team game, and I'm sure SOMEBODY in the group has an interrupt. Unless you're rolling in a strict BH Merc group for some reason

Merc is one of the hardest hitting advanced classes in the game whether you go Arsenal or Pyro and like I said before, you can't have it all. Add in a "real" interrupt to our arsenal (see what I did there) and we'd be ridiculously OP. You just want everything to melt in front of the awesome force and power that is you. You'll have better luck driving around in my new car...

i dont care much if mercs get an interrupt or not, but explain me this: why do the other ranged dps acs (sniper and sorc) have 1? and now dont tell me they do less dmg than mercs ....

i dont care much if mercs get an interrupt or not, but explain me this: why do the other ranged dps acs (sniper and sorc) have 1? and now dont tell me they do less dmg than mercs ....

exactly. if other ranged dps wouldn't get interrupt either, i would actually understand. but sorcs and absolutely every other class having one, except us. that's a big pile of bantha crap.

handling of interrupt-abilities increases the ceiling of skillful playing in pve and pvp. as a pyrotech merc i'd goddam love to be able to interrupt my fellow arsenal mercs in pvp, and see if my opponent is actually able to adapt or just a puzzled one-button-pusher.

Edited by Kamosabe

Unless they are already almost dead or fighting against another player already, theres no way in the nine hells to kill a half competent healer with pure damage (and mind that mercs have high damage but not the best one) and just a 4 second stun (he can also trinket out of it if needed) unless the healer is poorly equiped.

The knockback and improved rocket punch would be a point if:

a) Mercs were a close combat class instead of a long ranged class.

b) Worked on bosses or players with inmunities.

Add that mercs and their mirror are the only AC in the entire game without it and we have a serious issue.

Having some HMs with 2 mercs as DPS is a PAIN when some skill MUST be interrupted, since it might even force the healer to waste time interrupting. No other duplicated class has that problem when doing HMs. That problem afects pve also, not only pvp

Even as a fresh 50 in Warzones against 50 healers with more resilience, I still don't have much trouble taking them down without an interrupt.

Rather than moaning about what you don't have, maybe just get better at using the tools you do have.

The fact remains, your time fighting a healer is also wasted time on your part. You should only do it if you absolutely have to. Learn and understand your role, and you will also stop putting (not the best dps) in brackets, because usually you will be.

As for the problem of having too many Mercs in one group - that is something every mmo in the history of mmo's has had to deal with. Not every class should get an interrupt. Honestly there should only be half the classes that get one, rather than us be the only ones who don't. But rather than crying about being the only class without one - just understand that no one should be expecting you to interrupt and just continue spamming your tracers or whatever you do.

Best remark yet. Definitely archiving this one.

But all silliness aside....

I play a healing Merc. I play almost exclusively PvE content, hence the PvE healing spec (so no Rocket Punch knockback for me) Not that I'd get to use it that often. I've dabbled in PvP, but not too much.

Since we can use all our abilities in PvP, I agree we have a lot of CC's in WZ. But for someone that doesn't PvP, I get very little use for Rocket Punch, Jet Boost or Shoulder Slam. (Only times I use Jet Boost is to knock mobs down that hole so you get to the bosses faster). And to be honest, even if you could use Jet Boost or Rocket Punch (with the talented knockback) to interrupt movable mobs, you really don't want to spread them out, or move them away! from the tank. That's just silly nonsense. That leaves Electro Dart and Concussion Missile, which I love and use all the time.

In FP's and Ops I tend to stay in the back and I have seldom problems with agro. So no real reason to run in to melee range anyway. Now IF I had an interrupt (a proper one, that works on knockback/stun-immune targets) I'd consider running in. But as it stand now, there is no reason to.

I'd be open for a Melee interrupt (ex. Shoulder Slam, as mentioned earlier). Or Jet Boost because you already interrupt players because of the knockback, so adding the interrupt to bosses as well shouldn't make a too big of an impact. Except that it is aoe then ofc. So perhaps too OP. But then we have Rocket Punch. At least for us healing Mercs it's single target. and on a reasonable interrupt cd, 9s. Could even change it to 10-15s and I'd still be happy. Some Mercs have the talented knockback, which already interrupts. So again, adding the actual interrupt parameter should impact things too much.

But then I'd rather have a ranged interrupt, But I'd take the melee one if it were between melee and a none.

Even if I can't have the car that runs on farts, I still want A car!

My 2c anyway

Edited by Lixxy_

Do mercenaries ever get an interrupt?

I find it hard to believe that any class could be made without giving an interrupt, but in the list of BH skills i only saw one for Powertechs (on torhead).

What are you guys talking about? we have a stun & a pushback, and if you are speced for it rocket punch will also pushback & interrupt. All you have to do is time your interrupts and pay attention to your heat so they are available when you need them, and pour on the dmg when the mob is close to death. Just because we don't have a specific interrupt, doesn't mean we don't have any interrupts >.>

Quell

Instant

Heat: 8

Cooldown: 8s

Range: 4 m

Interrupts the target's current action and prevents that ability from being used for the next 4 seconds

The important thing to note is "prevents that ability from being used for the next 4 seconds" using a kb is interrupting from the cast but it is not a Interrupt skill.

Anyone can kill a Elite mob because you can use cc on on them Should you need to, but on boss mobs your kb is useless as cc doesn't work so you need a interrupt to block there cast of long build up heavy hitting skills including heals. At low levels a example of this can be seen in the last boss fight of the Athiss Flashpoint where the Prophet of Vodal's Crushing Affliction dot can kill your group but if you interrupt the cast it becomes no problem at all.

It seems like a oversight to me that Merc/Commando do not get these skills when others do.

Snipers/gunslingers get the the same skill as there melee range compatriots but but pushed out to a 30 meter range I don't see why this cannot be done for bh.

What are you guys talking about? we have a stun & a pushback, and if you are speced for it rocket punch will also pushback & interrupt. All you have to do is time your interrupts and pay attention to your heat so they are available when you need them, and pour on the dmg when the mob is close to death. Just because we don't have a specific interrupt, doesn't mean we don't have any interrupts >.>

Maybe some day, far far away in the future people will finally realise that rocket punch, jet boost andelectro dart are CCs, snares and stuns and no interrupts...

and maybe they will realise that it is absolutely stupid to think a melee "interrupt" is in any way adequate for a RANGE class...

and if i am very very luck they will realise that all boss mobs are immun to all that stuff...

but thats just me dreaming... :rolleyes:

Today I learned of a skill called Jet Charge. It's deep in the Shield Tech tree of Powertech:

Instant

Cooldown: 15s

Range: 30 m

Jumps to a distant target, dealing 447 kinetic damage, interrupting the target's current action and immobilizing the target for 3 seconds. Cannot be used against targets in cover.

This would be perfect for arsenal merc, even if we're mostly ranged, being forced into close quarters could be the balance for the positives.

Today I learned of a skill called Jet Charge. It's deep in the Shield Tech tree of Powertech:

This would be perfect for arsenal merc, even if we're mostly ranged, being forced into close quarters could be the balance for the positives.

So as a RANGE class i want something that lets me jump directly CLOSE to my target? Rly? :rolleyes: Being forced to close range as an range class would be such a stupid design, words couldn't hardley describe it...

Edited by Devoter

/signed

it would be one thing, if some classes get interrupt and others not. but to be the only class that does not get a legit interrupt, that sucks.

interrupt is damn effective in pve and pvp, if you know how to use it.

Uh yeah, on top of all the things Merc's got going for them, a hard interrupt is something they certainly don't need.

You can sit at 30m range and do more dps then any other class in the game, more easily.

None of your cool downs are longer then 2m, with most being less then 30s...

You're wearing heavy armor, and with an insane 25% defensive cooldown to boot.

You already have TWO soft interrupts, if Arsenal.

Right now, you can already nuke down any other range class in the game, and there ONLY defense against you is an interrupt on your Tracer Missile. Giving you the same ability to at will interrupt there abilities would create a huge imbalance in the back and forth flow of combat...

Sorry, but it isn't going to happen. You can't have EVERYTHING. You already have healing, heavy armor, and burst ranged dps... if you can't make it work with those 3, I'm sorry, an interrupt isn't going to help you...

Uh yeah, on top of all the things Merc's got going for them, a hard interrupt is something they certainly don't need.

You can sit at 30m range and do more dps then any other class in the game, more easily.

None of your cool downs are longer then 2m, with most being less then 30s...

You're wearing heavy armor, and with an insane 25% defensive cooldown to boot.

You already have TWO soft interrupts, if Arsenal.

Right now, you can already nuke down any other range class in the game, and there ONLY defense against you is an interrupt on your Tracer Missile. Giving you the same ability to at will interrupt there abilities would create a huge imbalance in the back and forth flow of combat...

Sorry, but it isn't going to happen. You can't have EVERYTHING. You already have healing, heavy armor, and burst ranged dps... if you can't make it work with those 3, I'm sorry, an interrupt isn't going to help you...

yeah i'm pyrotech, so no two soft interrupts for me. and funny thing is, i want an interrupt so i can interrupt arsenal specced mercs in pvp. arsenal is boring as hell imho. press that button, now press it again, yes keep going pressing that button. damn, you really know, how to press that one button.

and i dont want everything, i am pissed off that we're not getting what absolutely every other class is getting. that's a big difference. and yes i agree, i dont think mercs need a buff. they might even need a tone down, but interrupt increases skillfull playing and i can understand, that stuff that actually need skill isn't going to help you...

Edited by Kamosabe

So as a RANGE class i want something that lets me jump directly CLOSE to my target? Rly? :rolleyes: Being forced to close range as an range class would be such a stupid design, words couldn't hardley describe it...

Wow Devoter, I'm sorry you're so dumb and obviously a noob, but I'll try to speak at the level of a 6 year old so you can keep up.

I explicitly stated:

1. That mercs are ranged.

2. Being forced into close-quarters would be an appropriate penalty for the benefit of an interrupt.

Let me explain how skills work. I'm sure you would like a single 'IWIN' button on your bar, with zero penalties, but someday you might learn that every skill needs to be balanced either through cooldowns, energy or mechanics. You're obviously a noob if you think having a penalty-free interrupt added, in addition to Tracer Missile which every other class sees as an 'IWIN' button and wants to nerf, could possibly ever happen. Given that Jet Charge is already in the Powertech skillset, it's far more realistic to add it 'as is' to the Mercenary line.

Look at even what JohnAntilles above is saying:

Sorry, but it isn't going to happen. You can't have EVERYTHING. You already have healing, heavy armor, and burst ranged dps...

This is exactly the kind of fair and appropriate criticism you're going to get from every other class about adding an interrupt. Try to keep up with the conversation.

Also Devoter, maybe you should devote yourself to a dictionary and figure out how to spell 'hardly' next time before wasting our time with another worthless post - talk about being stupid. :rolleyes:

Edited by devilinhell

Hm, I'm not american, so english is not my mother language, so if you come to the forums of my country and write perfectly there, we can talk again. And you know what they say about people complaining about others people misspelling on the internet... true story!

But thats not important, you wrote a whole bunch of words and at the end, you want a range class forced into melee for a interrupt, and that stupid. You can insult all you want, it doesn't make a stupid idea any better.

I dont know who in these forum here ever wanted an Iwin button, was not me for sure.

And i bet, if the merc/trooper class had an interrupt from the beginning, absolutely nobody would come here with: "they have tracer missile, lets take away there interrupt".

Besides from that, only a few BH players out there are happy with that spam ability, most of them, including me, want less spam and some other mechanic. And that is stupid anyway. The whole whine comes from the pvp guys out there, they die while a bh spams tracer missiles and they come and cry. They dont see the other instants like rail shot and heatseekers, that kills em.

Edited by Devoter

yeah i'm pyrotech, so no two soft interrupts for me. and funny thing is, i want an interrupt so i can interrupt arsenal specced mercs in pvp. arsenal is boring as hell imho. press that button, now press it again, yes keep going pressing that button. damn, you really know, how to press that one button.

and i dont want everything, i am pissed off that we're not getting what absolutely every other class is getting. that's a big difference. and yes i agree, i dont think mercs need a buff. they might even need a tone down, but interrupt increases skillfull playing and i can understand, that stuff that actually need skill isn't going to help you...

My fav is people that makes statements like John with no numbers to back them up. My sage will out damage a merc free casting any day and most of my damage done cannot be stopped. But John can continue to spout useless junk. I love that people think it's tracer that is doing the damage and not the other abilities with cooldowns.

An interupt for PvE purposes is needed on many boss fights, it's that simple.

EDIT: It didn't quote the quite qq

Edited by Lothland

Use your stun as an interrupt in PvE, then proceed to use jet boost, and then (if the target is alive and if you are talented for it) rocket punch provides a knockback as well which can be used for an interrupt.

Since we are ranged we can do all of this while never losing more than a gcd for dps, unless the caster is at range in which case we gotta run to them for the knockbacks.

Rocket Punch is on a fairly short cd and does ok damage so it would be the best bet, but dont forget the other two unless you are saving them for something.

What about Flash Bang?

Thanks

Actually it would be completely OP.

Not only would you interrupt something but you'd put yourself in range to use both of your knockbacks for further interrupts. In addition it could be used to zoom around in huttball.

Not only would you interrupt something but you'd put yourself in range to use both of your knockbacks for further interrupts. In addition it could be used to zoom around in huttball.

I dont play much pvp, so i don't know about that.

I would take away jet boost from the mercs and give it to powertechs. They run around in close range. In addition to that take away shoulder slam, any BHs out there using it anyway?

In return i would like a "jet jump", you click it, and you get a target marker about 10 (15/20 skilled) meters max range, where you land. Like a big jump. On republic side for the trooper call it cannon jump or something like that. The trooper shoots on the ground and the recoil let him jump.

you mean like force leap/pull?!?! that would be unthinkable!!!!!!!!