Dual-Spec: The Necessary (VERY Necessary) Evil

MajinUltima

what i dont get is.. dual spec has NOTHING to do with choice.. your choice comes in which class and which AC you choose.

also, you can respec your talents at any time.. but currently the cost is as high as 35k..

therefore if a JC like myself goes sage, and MOSTLY prefers DPS.. but woudnt object to healing if needed.. guess what, currently i will have to spend upwards of 35k just to be able to heal for a pug if the group cant find one.. do you think im going to do that? umm.. sorry not really.

so all this does is lower the amount of support classes. you may want to wait around for 40 minutes to find a healer/tank.. me.. not so much.. and yeah, i could ask a friend/guildie.. but they arent always around.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the OP as well. It's a QoL thing. I play an Operative and I'd like to be able to store three specs and keybinds. One Healer, One Concealment PVE DPS and one Concealment PVP.

I fail to see how that would negatively imapact the game in any way.

I think the only 'Must' in dual speccing (i.e. the only really good argument for it) is having a PVE spec and a PVP spec. I think that allowing players to be automatically switched to their PVP spec when they enter the PVP games (not world PVP) would be a good idea and allow people to enjoy PVPing.

I don't think the game needs to have a dual spec that allows players in PVE to constantly change class skills though.

btw, I do not play PVP and only play PVE as a Scoundrel Healer and yea, it can really suck when I am out in the wilderness alone, but that is what Companions are for.

I think this is a really great idea.

When I play a solo story game I enjoy dealing massive damage. When I play with a GOOD group I prefer to play a supporting role (tank/cc/heals). When I play with a poor group, I prefer to bang my head on the keyboard and scream why-god-why?!?! The truth of the matter is that this game is many different things. There is a story driven game that plays well solo. There are group content quests where you need multiple players. There are flashpoints and PvP as well. To make any spec be able to hold their own in group and solo content they would be forced make the solo content far too easy to pose the kind of challenge gamers demand.

To me there are two ways to balance this. Give MASSIVE DPS boosts to your companion in the healing/tanking trees or allow dual speccing. Until one of those is implemented I am going to spec DPS. I enjoy the story too much to go through the frustration of trying to do content as a healer with a companion who cannot kill efficiently.

I wouldn't mind if they took a page from Lotro and had options that allowed you to respec for certain situations. That is one thing that makes that game. The 3 different trait paths that make your character inito what you want it to be. My healer could heal great or burst DPS with the best of them, depending on what I was doing. I'm all for customizing my toon to better fit my needs at any given time.

In the end, Dual Speccing won't necessarily solve the problem of too few tanks or healers.

A bad DD respecing to a healing tree just to get into a group will still be a bad player.

Nobody said dual-speccing would remove bad players from the game. The two issues are not related in any way and one is not caused by the other.

I'd really like to be able to have a DPS spec. I can solo just fine as a Sorc healer, but things get kinda difficult the longer the fight lasts, as I end up spending more and more time healing, and not damaging my enemies. (Thus my recent decision to leave Khem in the ship and take a DPS companion with me. I'm tanking the mobs most of the time anyway.)

Yeah most people do not realize it will actually benefit the community. If a group needs tanks or healers a dual-specced person can just respec to fill the role. How someone does not prefer that to waiting 1 hour for an actual tank or healer to log boggles my mind.

Yaaaayyy alright everyone will be the same, sounds fun. Hay random person over there switch to your healing build. All jedi Sages will be the same... All of them will have the same healing build, which is posted on the web.

I have a jedi sage whose DPS but i sacrificed some dps to make my healing decent. But like always everyone wants the most optimal dps out of there class and also be the best healer with a push of the button.

I still dont get why people dont want variety. Hell why dont they just stream line it more than WoWs new talent tree.

Youll have two buttons on your skill tree page one will be healing the other dps.

I never pick and choose my team mates in pugs (so I dont wait hours for a group). If you need a group then your in. And ive been stuck with some weird combos. But you make it work and everyone seems to interact and joke around when the content is hard oppose to the mind numbing tank and spake with everyone with the optimal build for there role.

Everyone just wants a staple's button.... i mean multi spec button now a days. Why even add specializing in the first place.

Nobody said dual-speccing would remove bad players from the game. The two issues are not related in any way and one is not caused by the other.

Actually in a way it is :)

WoW had it even :eek: shocking aint it ?

But the solution they did was one button AOE tanking for all classes and not only paladins :eek:

More tanks == more bad players

More bad players == game is too hard

Game is too hard complain that you really really wanna tank but the naughty Bioware keeps you from youre heroic quest on getting yourself faster groups .

Like one said if they did DS for Instanced PvP onl, i don't think 99% of the ones that are against dual specc .

But still it would be almost all people that promotes dual specc that would be against that but they would just switch opinion..

Before lvling as a tank and healer is to hard please do dual specc

Bioware makes lvling as a tank and healer viable...............

same people oh wait it is about the PvP and if they sort that same people would still complain..............

Most of the time i would call thoise people spoiled rotten

Edited by Varghjerta

Actually in a way it is :)

WoW had it even :eek: shocking aint it ?

But the solution they did was one button AOE tanking for all classes and not only paladins :eek:

More tanks == more bad players

More bad players == game is too hard

Game is too hard complain that you really really wanna tank but the naughty Bioware keeps you from youre heroic quest on getting yourself faster groups .

Like one said if they did DS for Instanced PvP onl, i don't think 99% of the ones that are against dual specc .

But still it would be almost all people that promotes dual specc that would be against that but they would just switch opinion..

Before lvling as a tank and healer is to hard please do dual specc

Bioware makes lvling as a tank and healer viable...............

same people oh wait it is about the PvP and if they sort that same people would still complain..............

Most of the time i would call thoise people spoiled rotten

You are assuming that these things cause each other, which is false. Bad players are bad.

having dual specs =/= more bad players. bad players are a constant.

This is simple a quality of life adjustment that will only benefit the community in the long run and hurt NO ONE.

Yaaaayyy alright everyone will be the same, sounds fun. Hay random person over there switch to your healing build. All jedi Sages will be the same... All of them will have the same healing build, which is posted on the web.

I have a jedi sage whose DPS but i sacrificed some dps to make my healing decent. But like always everyone wants the most optimal dps out of there class and also be the best healer with a push of the button.

I still dont get why people dont want variety. Hell why dont they just stream line it more than WoWs new talent tree.

Youll have two buttons on your skill tree page one will be healing the other dps.

I never pick and choose my team mates in pugs (so I dont wait hours for a group). If you need a group then your in. And ive been stuck with some weird combos. But you make it work and everyone seems to interact and joke around when the content is hard oppose to the mind numbing tank and spake with everyone with the optimal build for there role.

Everyone just wants a staple's button.... i mean multi spec button now a days. Why even add specializing in the first place.

You can heal just fine in the FP's as a hybrid. Same for Tank. I'm talking about Hard mode FP's and Operations. I would hope that you would need to be a full up healer or Tank to be successful in those encounters. So those of us with Hybrid classes want to be able to do whatever role is needed at the time.

You are assuming that these things cause each other, which is false. Bad players are bad.

having dual specs =/= more bad players. bad players are a constant.

This is simple a quality of life adjustment that will only benefit the community in the long run and hurt NO ONE.

Not true you do take the assumtion that a bad player is bad on all the game usually the bad playet can perform above average on the dps :D

But suck at everything else or for that matter tank/heal really good but suck at dps

You can heal just fine in the FP's as a hybrid. Same for Tank. I'm talking about Hard mode FP's and Operations. I would hope that you would need to be a full up healer or Tank to be successful in those encounters. So those of us with Hybrid classes want to be able to do whatever role is needed at the time.

People arent asking for it they just want best specc for every encounter

Why should an operative be able to spec in both dps and healing when my sniper cannot.

A forth skill tree and powers need to be implemented to snipers to all them to both dps and heal...depending on the need of the group at the time.

Operatives should not have that unfair advantage.

While it would be nice(I play a healer) I feel companions largely solve this problem for solo pve. The problem is you don't get wider variety of companions until you're nearly half way through the game(more if your an IA).

You can't use companions in FP's (with a full group) or Operations. Anyone asking for Dual spec to solo with is clueless.

Why should an operative be able to spec in both dps and healing when my sniper cannot.

A forth skill tree and powers need to be implemented to snipers to all them to both dps and heal...depending on the need of the group at the time.

Operatives should not have that unfair advantage.

LMAO maybe because you picked the AC without a Healing Tree??? You picked a Pure DPS class genius.

LMAO maybe because you picked the AC without a Healing Tree??? You picked a Pure DPS class genius.

As much as I have to agree, the same argument could be made against dual-speccing in general (i.e., you specced as a healer, now play it, genius).

As much as I have to agree, the same argument could be made against dual-speccing in general (i.e., you specced as a healer, now play it, genius).

LOL except I can respec any time I want bud. I chose a Hybrid "Class" not a spec btw. I just go back to the Fleet and bam...I'm now a DPS. He can't change his AC at all so how about coming up with a better retort. Dual spec is a QoL thing...that's it.

Edited by zootzoot

Dual spec used to bug me. Now I don't know why it ever did.

* Less down time to start flashpoints and other multi-role games

* Makes it easier to mess with new build-approaches but still be available for unexpected group activity that you know you have a working build for

* Solo is more fun with a DPS focus in most cases

* It's fun to try everything, not do the same stuff over and over again so you can try everything. 2 x class quests to get every AC is fine. 6 to get every AC + tree is a little ridiculous. (this assumes respec will be prohibitively expensive after a few uses)

And yes, I think you should get at least one 'oopsie' on AC too. I already picked the wrong AC once in Beta when I meant to try a new one.