Dual-Spec: The Necessary (VERY Necessary) Evil

MajinUltima

I think dual specs would ruin the immersion factor of the game. I felt the same way at first after playing Rift but getting more into the game I like the consistent feel of the character during the whole thing. No POOF I'm a healer.. POOF I'm a warrior! POOF... I'm a whatever.

POOF YOU'RE DEAD! Are you going to reroll? Constantly rezzing pretty much kills immersion.;)

Seriously though, your position would have all the integrity in the world IF you never, ever respecced. Respec even once and you are now trading immersion for convenience and the debate becomes purely about how easy it should be to respec as we can already respec any time we want with a trip and a bag of cash.:D

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per the Dev's Q&A on 02-10-12...

Aurozia: Will there be a dual specialization system in the future? Will there be a possibility of changing advance classes as well?

Daniel Erickson: We have no plans for switching advanced classes - which we see as fundamentally different class designs- but dual spec is in the works and coming soon.

I'm actually amazed at the arguments behind this discussion - most opposed seem to be wow-haters...but RIFT is a much better example of watering down classes as a result of dual-speccing.

Regardless, non of the posts for it have mentioned the desire to be like everyone else....its a simple and VERY OBVIOUS matter of the lack of grouping that is driving the desire for DS....while ironically the argument against it is that 'people just want to stay anti-social'....

The beauty (and longevity) of ANY MMO is the experience. If we really want to punish players then lets go back to EQ1, staring into your spellbooks while memming your new spells - PRAYING that the fire beetle you hear in the distance (but can't see because you're staring into your spell book) doesn't attack you and interrupt the whole process. I mean, after all, that's the 'true immersion' experience that makes everyone love the game! (sarcasm alert)

I have no issues grouping with people....and I think heroic quests and content can facilitate that aspect...but don't force me to spend 4 days looking for a group (guild or otherwise) to complete a 2-4 man story quest because I play at 'odd' hours. That's just silly....and accomplishes nothing....

I think nescessary is too strong of a word.

I also think it's a bit absurd that in a massively multiplayer game, a game specifically designed around you playing with other people, that anyone can truly say they *need* to be completely self-reliant.

Make friends. Have fun. And I hope the game weeds out the people who just absolutely refuse to make friends. There are all kinds of other games for those people. MMOs like this should do the exact opposite and encourage social bonding.

State the sky is blue and the Internet... and inevitably, someone will say you're wrong, that the sky is actually Purple. If you made friends, you'd know it .

Grass grows. The sky is blue. And we need dual-speccing no matter how many friends we've made.

Dual Spec is fine. I have always played a warrior in most MMO's, I Main tank raids and Hardmodes. I used to pay every time I wanted to PVP because I liked PVPing in DPS spec, When WOW added the dual spec I loved it and they did a great job with it. I no longer had to pay crazy amounts to play the way I wanted to.

Now I can tank a raid or HM and when i want to PVP I can go DPS. It doesnt hurt anyone and is great addition to the game. If they didnt add it in, I would be forced to roll DPS as my juggernaught because then I could enjoy pvp and just go as DPS on a raid. I Tank because it helps the guild and I'm good at it.

But this whole thread is garbage anyways. Dual Spec is CONFIRMED and is coming so crying about it wont help. I cant wait for it.

• 1 month later...

Having Dual-Spec would merely allow more people to play the way they want. Also look at operations, some fights require two tanks while others only one is needed. Having your off-tank be able to hop into a dps spec could help you down a new content boss. Not to mention the ability to have both a pve and pvp spec.

The people crying about "people wanting to do it all" are simply to tunnel visioned. Dual-Spec would make a great deal of sense, but like some have suggested even just a cap to the re-spec cost would be nice. That way I can swap over to pvp the 5 days I am not going to be raiding.

How is me wanting to be able to pvp and pve well an issue? Because some people choose not to be able to do both or simply don;t care doesn't mean that should hamper those of us who want to both pve and pvp and or garner a higher chance at success on new content.

A video game shouldn't be a chore, it should be fun. Dual specc'ing solves more problems than it creates. Ever have a problem finding a tank or healer? I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who really like changing roles but don't want to A) go through the pain of setting up their talent trees, and B) having to setup their bars and hotkeys every time. We could also talk about gear management, which is also something lacking even with just pve and pvp gear sets.

Lazy? Yeah, maybe, but definitely more fun. Sometimes it feels like I log in to do dishes online.

Edited by xCorrosive

as mentioned in GUILDSUMMIT videos

DUAL SPEC is coming

with :

- Automatic Quickbar switching

- Automatic Gear switching

they mentioned they want to do this RIGHT..

so its only a matter of time before dualspec coming..

when ? no one knows.. hopefully 1.3