Dual-Spec: The Necessary (VERY Necessary) Evil

MajinUltima

You just crushed a lot of people.

Don't shoot the messenger I just kept reading replies saying nothing had been discussed about and pasted an article I read. It was kind of buried so I am sure most have not seen it.

Edited by alerum

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So don't. Play your character the way you built it.

The option isn't always between playing one way and playing another way. In this context, the option is between

a) playing your character an alternate way and

b) sticking to the way you built it, sitting around outside a door for a potential 20+ minutes waiting for a player who is of a certain role to respond

c) abandoning hope of getting a full group.

POSTING AGAIN

No need to post here requesting Dual Speccing. The Devs are adding this. See the link below and I've also pasted the Q&A from the article:

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916

Q: Since it has been clearly stated that there will not be dual specs for characters in the game, can you explain your philosophy behind the skill trees and how you are taking into account players that want to be able to play PvP and PvE content on the same character? - illumineart

A: Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch. Also, features like Guard, PvP Taunt, Resolve, etc. work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP).

Actually that doesnt say anything wan't to add yes i want to add a million into my bank account aswell doesnt mean that will happen.

And it seems alot of people are thinking that Dual Specc if implemented will be exactly like WoW.

For all we know if dual specc gets close that it will obnly be viable in PvP instances and that i would have no problem with.

But if you read the sentence again you see also the irony of it

Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch. Also, features like Guard, PvP Taunt, Resolve, etc. work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP).

Wait so you mean you narrow the gap making abilities viable in other enviroments and then suddenly screw it all over again :D

I can't help but wonder... Would anyone think duel specs were needed in the game if WoW had never implemented them?

Of course, what a silly question. Wow didn't come up with dual specs out of thin air, they implemented them because people asked for it. The worst is if you're a raid tank like me who also liked to pvp. So every time your guild wants to do a raid you drop a huge chunk of gold so you can be an effective raid tank, finish the raid, then drop another huge chunk of gold so you can actually do decently in pvp. It loses its luster after awhile.

I tend to agree as long as it is inside of the AC you already picked.

I'm a BH Merc and I am torn between healing for my guild and enjoying my leveling. If I could pop over to my healing spec in a flashpoint and then back to my DPS when soloing I would feel so much better. At this point I feel like another knuckle-dragging DPS who brings nothing to the table in my guild.

I'm even willing to invest in a separate healing set, I really would not mind as long as I could switch easily.

Don't shoot the messenger I just kept reading replies saying nothing had been discussed about and pasted an article I read. It was kind of buried so I am sure most have not seen it.

You won't get shot by me! I am thrilled that it will be added soon.

Actually that doesnt say anything wan't to add yes i want to add a million into my bank account aswell doesnt mean that will happen.

And it seems alot of people are thinking that Dual Specc if implemented will be exactly like WoW.

For all we know if dual specc gets close that it will obnly be viable in PvP instances and that i would have no problem with.

Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch. Also, features like Guard, PvP Taunt, Resolve, etc. work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP).

Wait so you mean you narrow the gap making abilities viable in other enviroments and then suddenly screw it all over again :D

It's possible I've seen games be ruined because they make changes because of PVE or PVP and it ruins one of them. My Warden in Rift, after 1.5, sucked in PVP.

You know what else saves time/money for a player? Giving them lvl 50 characters with the best gear in the game. That doesn't mean its a good idea.

As to people talking about 'play as I want to' logic, well here is one for you. As a player, I enjoy being able to destroy my enemies without dying. I don't like dying and find it tedious to have to re-spawn and start the fight over again. By your logic of being able to play as I want, I should have the option to turn off death and be able to mow through all content because 'that's how I wish I could play'.

How about about you don't change the subject and actually give me one good reason why being able to respec at will for free would be bad for the game? Giving people lvl50 players and all that ******** you came up with is just taking things to the extreme and not even remotely relevant to what is being discussed.

Edited by Shendaar

I think nescessary is too strong of a word.

I also think it's a bit absurd that in a massively multiplayer game, a game specifically designed around you playing with other people, that anyone can truly say they *need* to be completely self-reliant.

Make friends. Have fun. And I hope the game weeds out the people who just absolutely refuse to make friends. There are all kinds of other games for those people. MMOs like this should do the exact opposite and encourage social bonding.

I think requiring friends to do the basic questing and leveling is the opposite of fun.

You're really reaching if you think that a statement of intent by the developers should be taken to be as significant as a desire to add a million dollars to your bank account.

And the desire to both add dual spec AND to make tanking specs narrow the gap between PvP and PvE is ONLY confusing if you assume they're doing something different than WoW. If you expect them to lift the Dual Spec format from WoW than it makes perfect sense.

Edited by MeanMartian

I agree, dual spec is necessary for the long-term health of the game and they should impelement it soon.

Not only does this allow players to switch between PVE and PVP specs, but it also brings about more healers/tanks. Because most people tend to go DPS as their main spec because it's more fun than being a heal bot or meat shield, but if they had 2 specs they would go one of those as a secondary spec in case their group needs a healer / tank. This would save a lot of DPSers from sitting on their behinds in town waiting for a healer / tank to fill the needed role of the group.

I agree, dual spec is necessary for the long-term health of the game and they should impelement it soon.

Not only does this allow players to switch between PVE and PVP specs, but it also brings about more healers/tanks. Because most people tend to go DPS as their main spec because it's more fun than being a heal bot or meat shield, but if they had 2 specs they would go one of those as a secondary spec in case their group needs a healer / tank. This would save a lot of DPSers from sitting on their behinds in town waiting for a healer / tank to fill the needed role of the group.

Big ol suppository of truth for everyone right here.

+1 for you.

Make 2 characters. You have several character slots.

That's not a solution for most people, I might make an alt but if I'm in the mood to group or raid I want to use my main and not my alt just because the group / raid needs a tank or healer.

With dual spec it would save so much time waiting for a tank/healer since most DPSers would have an alt spec that was healing or tanking. It's just extremely handy.

No need for dual spec. You want two different classes then make another character. You don't have time? Well, then that is too bad. Do not make the mistake in thinking that the two AC's for a specific base class are not different classes becuase they are completely different. Edited by Raelstrom

Wow, I really didn't think this would be such a hotly debated topic. It's rather clear already that the devs are encouraging of having freedom to fill multiple roles on one character. Respeccing being readily available with the scaling respec cost resetting weekly (with instance lockouts) clearly spells this out.

The opposition to it boggles my mind, really. Just to be clear, we're talking about having two different talent tree specs within your current AC that you can switch between, yes? What exactly is the problem here besides making switching between roles easier? You can already just run to the skill mentor and pay a trivial fee to respec. This way you don't have to manually reassign all your points every time. And why exactly would you be opposed to being able to fill multiple roles if your group needs it?

I like this game and don't care either way to be honest.

My medic can do quests just fine with her heal spec so I'm ok with one spec. Now if she were like my WoW Holy Priest trying to quest then yeah please give me a dual spec.

Wow, I really didn't think this would be such a hotly debated topic. It's rather clear already that the devs are encouraging of having freedom to fill multiple roles on one character. Respeccing being readily available with the scaling respec cost resetting weekly (with instance lockouts) clearly spells this out.

The opposition to it boggles my mind, really. Just to be clear, we're talking about having two different talent tree specs within your current AC that you can switch between, yes? What exactly is the problem here besides making switching between roles easier? You can already just run to the skill mentor and pay a trivial fee to respec. This way you don't have to manually reassign all your points every time. And why exactly would you be opposed to being able to fill multiple roles if your group needs it?

Yeah most people do not realize it will actually benefit the community. If a group needs tanks or healers a dual-specced person can just respec to fill the role. How someone does not prefer that to waiting 1 hour for an actual tank or healer to log boggles my mind.

I

You're really reaching if you think that a statement of intent by the developers should be taken to be as significant as a desire to add a million dollars to your bank account.

And the desire to both add dual spec AND to make tanking specs narrow the gap between PvP and PvE is ONLY confusing if you assume they're doing something different than WoW. If you expect them to lift the Dual Spec format from WoW than it makes perfect sense.

Actually so you mean that different companies must do things alike?

Why are You assuming that Dual specc is like WoW because both companies start with a B?

As i said it can aswell mean alot of things

Edited by Varghjerta