Daniel Erickson leaving BW Austin?

Enderet

It is sad to see the writers go, I am also starting to loose hope in this game.

The layoffs can be understood and all, but when this includes top people who created the game it obviously is no good news.

Please some1 save this game and give it to some decent company for real at this stage, or else I am soon out of here. I am here since 20 December paying!

Updates are six months late. 1.3 was not a real patch??? No new content at all, those things should have been implemented each month after launch....

Lucas-Arts SAVE this game for us, Electronic Ware is destroying take it from them and give it to some1 else please.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know after watching the man completely ignore simple things like Kiras Lightsaber bug or the music that will hardly ever play (no music in a star wars game really Daniel really?) and his whole "Lets woo the progression raiders despite the fact that they hate us" philosophy I'm not seeing a great loss.

Whoever takes his place I just hope he or she works on fundamental embarrassing bugs that should have been addressed in beta one.

You do realize that Erikson was the Senior/Lead WRITER, and so had absolutely nothing to do with programming code and fixing bugs or making design decisions like how often the music plays (which, if you had actually been paying attention, falls under Shubert's purview) or what type of customer they wanted to attract?

Maybe next time know your facts before slagging someone for something (or things) that they had absolutely nothing to do with.

@Daniel....Thanks for the great story that you and your team of WRITERS (emphasis for the dimwit I am quoting) came up with and I wish you the best for the future.

You do realize that Erikson was the Senior/Lead WRITER, and so had absolutely nothing to do with programming code and fixing bugs or making design decisions like how often the music plays (which, if you had actually been paying attention, falls under Shubert's purview) or what type of customer they wanted to attract?

Well, even according to him, they do in fact have an impact on all aspects of the game. Just saying.

"Daniel Erickson: Bioware writers are game designers."

Maybe next time know your facts before slagging someone for something (or things) that they had absolutely nothing to do with.

@Daniel....Thanks for the great story that you and your team of WRITERS (emphasis for the dimwit I am quoting) came up with and I wish you the best for the future.

With all due respect, Daniel Erickson was the Lead Game Designer, not the lead writer. He held that title before though.

Link

Yes, I do. Why, because former employees and contractors are pretty much stating this was the case in Austin and that the real problem fell on the lead designers who didn't want or care to listen to any feedback.

Also, the game was in development for almost a year before EA acquired BioWare. So what did EA have to do with the initial design and development that was started then? Apparently you didn't know that.

Games development started in October 2006. EA didn't acquire BioWare until late 2oo7 (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=15831#.UEuFr41lSCk).

EAs modus-operendi is to CUT investment on titles after studios are acquired, not to put money into an endless till like SWTOR was. BioWare was given complete freedom on this title until they were failing and EA execs held their feet to the fire.

Few things, first they actually started working on the game in December 2005.

[Gordon Walton, co-studio director, BioWare Austin]: We announced the game around March, but we'd really started on it in the beginning of December 2005.

Source

LMAO, do you really believe that? Everything about how this game was desgined screams EA even if you didn't know EA owned Bioware.

Actually, it was part of the deal between EA and BioWare when EA bought them. EA was mostly to inject more cash and provide his publishing support.

BioWare requested EA to leave them manage TOR the way they wanted to. They even spoke openly about that.

It is sad to see the writers go, I am also starting to loose hope in this game..

Most writers have been let go long time ago. Actually DE switched from lead writer to lead game designer for a reason...

It's really hard to see this game in a positive light when... two rounds of layoffs happend, resignations of top developers, lack of new content, massive negative press, alot of mediocre user scores on sites like metacritic, subscription declines, stock declines, unusual forum negativity.

Well, they have to get rid of everyone who cared about the game so they can get ready to take a big Zynga type dump on it this fall in the interest of stuffing as much cash in their shareholder's pockets as possible.

This game started as an ambitious try at a spoken language, story driven MMO based on the SW KOTOR property and failed, so now they need to make a big cash grab before it all goes south.

Edited by Elfa

It's nice to think that Daniel Erickson may be secretly keeping tabs on this thread and reading it. You never know, he might be glad he's looking for new opportunities from this sinking ship. It sucks though that this disaster will be on his resume.

Anyways, I'll stick around here for a few more months since I recently re-subbed. Who knows, this game might be saved from a miracle.

Edited by DuckKing

Few things, first they actually started working on the game in December 2005.

Source

Actually, it was part of the deal between EA and BioWare when EA bought them. EA was mostly to inject more cash and provide his publishing support.

BioWare requested EA to leave them manage TOR the way they wanted to. They even spoke openly about that.

Most writers have been let go long time ago. Actually DE switched from lead writer to lead game designer for a reason...

Well whatever the case maybe I still wish Daniel and everyone else at Bioware all the best in their future endeavors. Though regardless of what was told to us or explained why, More than likely EA was pulling all the strings to begin with. This article probably explains why all the layoffs, why people are leaving, and the announcement of F2P.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/mad_for_madden_3lyqSl04ZEpZeO9Zmh81GI

Edited by Raideag

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Necroing this to share a post from Mr. Erickson. He posted this publicly on his G+ profile so there shouldn't be any reason I can't share it here.

Sorry it's been quiet so long. I realize it's one of the worst kept secrets but I am officially leaving BioWare and headed off to new adventures and was attempting to keep it quiet until everything was official. I'm trying out the Twitter thing to post thoughts about the job hunt, the state of the industry and developing new games from scratch so if you're interested in that sort of thing you can find me @DanielAErickson.

I'd like to give a huge thanks to all the amazing SWTOR fans who made my life more surreal and exciting than I would have ever imagined these last few years. There's so many good people out there it made me look forward to every convention...well maybe not E3 so much but most of you didn't get to go there.

Cheers,

Daniel

Edited by KurganNazzir

Necroing this to share a post from Mr. Erickson. He posted this publicly so there shouldn't be any reason I can't share it here.

Without Daniel....this game is nothing.

Who's next, James? I think so. I think everyone is saying "different adventures" and leaving because of what EA has done. It's James Ohlen's turn next I believe ;)

I admit, that I am kinda worried, but I hope Daniel does well in the future.

This whole "Tortanic" meme is getting overrated, and frakking annoying. But, as long as people keep paying for a sub (Like you, clearly) I doubt the game is "going down"

Doubt it all you want. I dont care. Im only paying until the point it goes FTP. I hardly play now (read: a few hours a month). Once FTP hits they will never see another penny from me.

This worries me greatily. The stories are the most important part of the game and they've already laid off a lot of the writers., including the writer of the sith warrior which is one of my favorites. I really have to wonder if the next stories are even in the works if Bioware is hemorraging writers like this. Will the next 3 chapters even feel like they're about the same characters if they are?

i swear, i could feel his star wars glow , just by watching the videos,,the force is strong in him

we wish him all the best in the world,,he can kick my dog and piss on my carpet, if he wants to

As someone of whom has been following the game since 2009, DE was one of the more hated Devs believe it or not. I am actually quite confused right now.

Sad to see him leave the team, but face it, games are always teamwork.

TOR is not dependent on one single person.

There were games which depend on a visionary, sure, but I see no "Peter Molineaux" or "Raph Koster" type crazy genius with a totally unique vision for TOR which would be destroyed if the crazy genius leaves the game.

Might be because.. well.. TOR gameplay is not *that* unique besides the whole storytelling pillar.

edit: Hire Raph Koster... now

wait, even better: HIRE GEORGE LUCAS. One month later we´ll have playable Wookies and speeder races on Endor ;)

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Someone was asking for the source of DA's quote; I'm not sure either but here's his new Twitter

"When 90% of the industry is saying the exact same thing (social, mobile, FTP!) a huge number of people are going to lose that race."

Interesting quote.....especially the FTP comment.

I think you guys are talking about this interview http://torwars.com/2012/08/22/torwars-podcast-98-our-interview-with-biowares-hall-hood/

Daniel Erickson's departure is a little strange compared to some of the others. He did interviews up to the end of July, long after all the F2P restructuring had been done, saying not to worry about it, it's not going to negatively affect anything you see in the game for a long time, etc.. We don't know for certain if he actually left, or was let go (people saying they've left when it was not their decision is common).

The thing is, I'd assumed that they started writing new class stories the minute the game hit beta or thereabouts so they could release a new chapter yearly or even bi-yearly. Losing writers, especially those who wrote class stories was a bad sign, and I was thinking budget constraint might be pushing content release to say a year from now, but...shelved .... That's bad.