Daniel Erickson leaving BW Austin?

Enderet

Nobody is irreplaceable. There had to be a major disagreement in direction the game will go for him to leave or something we will never know.

Might be that there will be less story in the future and more sandboxy features... as we all know that was what majority of complainers stated.

Only time will tell.

He might find a place here...

"Bethesda Softworks announced today the opening of Battlecry Studios, headed by ex-BioWare staffer Rich Vogel. Vogel was a huge part of the development of Star Wars: The Old Republic in his role as executive producer, but left the company ahead of a large round of layoffs from the MMO development team. His previous works include Star Wars: Galaxies and Ultima Online, but no project has yet been announced for Battlecry."

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/20993-bethesda-opens-battlecry-studios-headed-by-the-old-republic-producer-rich-vogel/

Edited by Evensong

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware or TOR seems to have lost the vast majority of people that were here pre-launch. So the big question is where does this leave the game and whats going to be happening.

Is it going to be more restructuring and down sizing, less Kotor and more Star Wars or is it going into maintenance mode?

Come on, EA. Stop tearing apart my favorite gaming company. It's really sad to see some of these guys go. The Co-Founders leaving didn't phase me as they actually left to pursue new careers. But now, this guy? Come on now. :( ! Edited by spectreclees

I think the only real detail to pull from this story is on his twitter he made a statement "Job hunt thought: If you think a monetization approach is the same thing as a game idea I don't know why we're talking."

It just lends credit to the idea that all future game ideas are being geared towards how to make money instead of what will make the game better. I'm going to stick it out until F2P hits, but I am preparing myself for the worst. For those of you who still have fun, keep playing and let's all hope nothing changes for the worse. For everyone else, i don't blame you for abandoning ship.

I think the only real detail to pull from this story is on his twitter he made a statement "Job hunt thought: If you think a monetization approach is the same thing as a game idea I don't know why we're talking."

It just lends credit to the idea that all future game ideas are being geared towards how to make money instead of what will make the game better. I'm going to stick it out until F2P hits, but I am preparing myself for the worst. For those of you who still have fun, keep playing and let's all hope nothing changes for the worse. For everyone else, i don't blame you for abandoning ship.

I read this as he wants to work on small, non MMO, one-off titles. MMO's are all about revenue. Maybe initially it wasn't like that and if you could turn a modest profit that was considered acceptable for the genre but the rise of WoW changed what is possible to the bottom line of companies.

Thinking changed from we can make 5mil per month on this title to we can make 20-100 million per month on this title if we make the right game and everyone started chasing that.

Small independent studios can make interesting games but with the handicap that they typically have a low budget to work on. I think he's better off accepting what the industry is evolving into if he wants VC money for his next project.

Daniel Erickson ‏@DanielAErickson

Huge congratulations to Rich Vogel and crew for getting the Battlecry studio off the ground. More studios in Austin is a good thing.

He speaks about this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-04-bethesdas-new-battlecry-studio-building-new-free-to-play-online-game

Daniel Erickson ‏@DanielAErickson

When 90% of the industry is saying the exact same thing (social, mobile, FTP!) a huge number of people are going to lose that race.

Food for thought. Seems core old Bioware team still want to do MMO's or thinking about it. This leads me to belive Bioware founders didnt see this game that successful when EA bought them up well most of us obviously can see that now.

Edited by Divona

What exactly was he credited with writing? IIRC, various people wrote the various class stories. Depending on what he wrote, this may be fine.

IMDB lists him as 'Lead Writer', but going through the list of writing credits, I recognize several of the senior writers are still with SWTOR (Hall Hood, Alexander Freed) and several others I recognize as still being within Bioware but maybe not specifically earmarked for SWTOR.

Lead Writers are important, but there are writers in a team that are still there providing continuity. Hall Hood has been teasing on his Twitter that there are big plans afoot upcoming for SWTOR, and I have to hope that it's not just the writers cranking out Ops.

I really hope the author of Darth Plageus gets involved with this game, most specifically for Inqusitor or Consular Class.

That book is a master peace!

And I also hope to get more of Drew, altough Revan book was a bit Mehhh.

IMO if they make the correct setting and plan it out well, this game can easily fork 3 chapters a year, using also current DeaD planets.

This game had better last long enough for me to finish those 3 rep side stories I haven't even started yet or else I will be pissed. Daniel Ericson leaving? He helped make Dragon Age and Mass Effect the epics that they were!

Sigh, praying that his departure doesnt mean a cancellation of the Futher Story Chapters we were promised in an eventual expansion. As long as the VO actors are still hired that is what counts. When they leave, then we know that TOR has shifted its dev focus from STORY to FTP leveling, gear and raids. Which, while enough to keep me visiting from time to time in FTP taking screens and occasionaly doing my old bioware MUSTREPLAYSTORYANJOTHERWAY disease that I caught in KOTOR and have been an unfortunate victim of ever since :-p

If the above is the case, I won't keep my sub after I finish the other class stories.. (still will play from time to time though) However I encourage others who do love the wz/ops side of the game to keep their subs running, the more subs this game can sustain the more likely that there will be a big story expansion upcoming and it drawing back Biowares long time RP IP fans.

I wish people would stop sacking people and also I wish people would stop leaving , it's getting very tiresome. This game has a hell of a lot of potential , more than a lot of mmo's out there , not a happy bunny.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I keep saying that very same thing. Im not a fanboy or anything I honestly find this MMO to be better then most others out today.