Is SWTOR dying?

Turlinde

Well, if that's what the paying customers demand, don't you think developers (business) should respond accordingly in order to sell thier product? I didn't get a degree in business, but i know enough about it to say with certainty that if you fail to give the customer what he wants, you can't be surprised when you don't sell your product. The market (in this case MMO gamers) will determine the success or failure of any new product, will it not?

No matter what is done, those type of gamers simply will not be satisfied. If you make it too hard, they will complain its too hard, then you tone it down some & they complain there is nothing to do when they breeze thru it.

Its a catch 22 for developers right now.

I know ill be sticking around. Continuous sub? No, but i never done that. Ill play for 2 months, take a month off, play another 2, take 2 weeks off, etc etc.

Now was this game pushed out early? I believe so just by reading what patch 1.2 is going to involve. Now you have to look at the company that pushed release too early to find fault.

edit: I also think alot of the "dying" things will be sorted out if they do decide to merge servers as they had too many to begin with imho.

Edited by Delease

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what is done, those type of gamers simply will not be satisfied. If you make it too hard, they will complain its too hard, then you tone it down some & they complain there is nothing to do when they breeze thru it.

Its a catch 22 for developers right now.

I know ill be sticking around. Continuous sub? No, but i never done that. Ill play for 2 months, take a month off, play another 2, take 2 weeks off, etc etc.

Now was this game pushed out early? I believe so just by reading what patch 1.2 is going to involve. Now you have to look at the company that pushed release too early to find fault.

edit: I also think alot of the "dying" things will be sorted out if they do decide to merge servers as they had too many to begin with imho.

So you are saying no MMO can be successful, ever? Who gives a **** about complaints there will be always be complaints for games, it's more about who leaves and who stays.

Is SWTOR dying? Ques are longer and longer. So many of the good players that I levelled with never log in anymore it seems. Republic fleet on mt server used to have over 100 toons at off hours, and now its mainly 20-30. My server Helm of Garush was one of the top 5 population servers at one point. Now it seems more and more like a Ghostown.

What's going on?

The way these posts keep cropping up you would think most had never played a new mumorpuger before. Every new mumorpuger, that I can recall, has that initial rush of people buying and then it starts to drop off. That's just the way it works. The "trick" to a financially successful mumorpuger is to keep the now trickle of new players to be at least equal to the stream of players leaving.

Most of the pay-to-play variety don't manage to equal them out until there are a lot fewer people playing, and paying, than the investors would prefer. As far as your individual experience you should also realize that a significant amount of migration among servers also occurs. Especially for a game like this where getting to the endgame doesn't take very long.

Its going to take longer than two months to tell whether TOR is really "dying" or not. Hell, EA gave Mythic almost a year before giving up on WAR. Now that was a "dying" game.

Its going to take longer than two months to tell whether TOR is really "dying" or not. Hell, EA gave Mythic almost a year before giving up on WAR. Now that was a "dying" game.

well, WAR had and stil has infinitely better PvP than this game tho...

After playing in the Tera Online CBT this past weekend, I'm definitely cancelling my SWTOR sub which will run out in March. Tera's combat makes PvP far more fun than TOR, especially considering how little CCs there are and how it is skilled based due to having to manually aim everything. Every duel I did in Tera lasted quite awhile since there is very little burst damage (at least at the in the low 20s).

Fighting BAMs (Huge "elite" monsters that are soloable if you are good at dodging their attacks. It'll just take awhile) was also very fun and interesting. I can see how it can be fun to try and solo some of them.

Edited by copasetic

Is SWTOR dying? Ques are longer and longer. So many of the good players that I levelled with never log in anymore it seems. Republic fleet on mt server used to have over 100 toons at off hours, and now its mainly 20-30. My server Helm of Garush was one of the top 5 population servers at one point. Now it seems more and more like a Ghostown.

What's going on?

I think some people (like me) might see the game as very good, but coming to a certain level see the flaw and simply decided to wait for the game to be better. That does not mean the game is dying, on the contrary I think if the game engine allows it , it has an enormous potential open to it.

There might also have been a steady erosion because school/finals/life.

Come summer, and a few big update from BW, I betcha that number will spike up again.

Sure the pop decreased. This happens with alot of new games. Sadly though with how alot of people are now ( impatient a.d.d. riddled ) no MMO is going to survive.

I blame WoW for this. As much as people bash the game, it also set a standard for what new mmo gamers expect in a launch MMO. They expect 5+ years of WoW type content crammed into whatever new mmo is being launched.

Same thing is going to happen with GW2 & whatever new mmo comes along. Its the new breed of 'gamers' that are causing this.

Happens with single player games even. Game B is released with a good amount of content, long storyline, side quests, etc. Mass of 'gamers' rush out and power through the game in a week, then complain @ the company for not releasing more content sooner.

What? Lol wow was trash at launch.

SWTOR is dieing , wow has nothing to do with it.

SWTOR is ding because BW/EA has no clue it seams.

ToA in DAoC mythic

War EA/Mythic

UO EA

The list of games EA has jacked up is longer but I think you get the point.

SWTOR has from a pvpers poi.t of view a grate pve system. But the PvP is a joke .

EA could of added a DAoC PvP system that players would of loved , we got Illum , just sad.

2 faction system after what they seen in war. They knew the war team was bad but used them any ways.

You would have to be brain dead as a developer, producer to not see that war died because of the dev team.

My question is why would Ea use a dev team that added ToA to DAoC the xpac that killed that game. move them to war and let them kill it before it even got off of the ground, then have that same team do pv in SWTOR?

SWTOR is as doomed as war was. Has all along. We just won't it not to be. I did any ways.but pve as cool as it is....not all a game needs to be.

We need PvP not some war zone. DAoC style PvP with a balanced faction system ie 3 factions.

We need a pve system for the pver.

Pve player most of them any ways, PvP at least some.

And

PvP players most of them pve at least some.

You can not leave one or the other and be a top hit MMO. It takes both.

I believe its dying because there is not enough "War" in the Star Wars.

They bet on the wrong pillar, story is not enough, game play is king.

Also Bounty Hunter and Smugglers should have been their own faction.

Edited by ohnam

Go watch IGN's WvW video from "That other Game" beta weekend and you can see why this game's pvp is dying/dead. That game puts this one to shame as far as PvP design is concerned.

Bioware's non-focus on end game pvp has been its downfall.

People wanna PvP in today's age. Period.

Edited by Bloodylittle

well, WAR had and stil has infinitely better PvP than this game tho...

WAR's RvR had its good points and bad but, yeah, better than what we've got here. Then again WAR was a PvP game so to speak. So it was much more a part of the core design than it was for this game.

You can't blame Mythic for this game's screw ups, Mythic didn't make an engine that can only handle 8v8 and anything past that cause the fps on even the best computer to dip to 10 fps.

What little of Mythic that's left has been working on WAR and that Wrath of Heroes game.

Hell ilum itself wouldn't be horrible (it'd be a great open world pvp zone to have fights in) if it wasn't for the massive engine failure and the horrendous lag.

Until they fix that lag, the pvp in this game will be pointless.

WAR's RvR had its good points and bad but, yeah, better than what we've got here. Then again WAR was a PvP game so to speak. So it was much more a part of the core design than it was for this game.

yeah, but... i expected them to provide full pve and pvp experience end-game. it's painfully not the case... they got my $90... hey, dont spend it all in one place!

EVE, warhammer online are both dead.

So what do we have left?

EvE is not dead... geez. It has grown since start. it grows slow but steady.

And is right now the second most successful subscriber based game behind WoW.

While much smaller in comparison to WoW, it still going well for such an old lady.

Is it dying?

I have no idea, as I don't have their internal subscription numbers. What I do know is that the two servers I played on have steadily declined week after week. I also know that I closed my account last week. There's only so much Huttball and bugged PvE/Ilum that can keep me interested.

Personally, I wouldn't bother to keep this game installed, even if it was free-to-play. Watching GW2 press beta videos gave me more enjoyment than my post-50 play did in SWTOR.

Edited by Iriestx

EvE is not dead... geez. It has grown since start. it grows slow but steady.

And is right now the second most successful subscriber based game behind WoW.

While much smaller in comparison to WoW, it still going well for such an old lady.

Tried EVE and it was not my kind of game but, last I heard, its still one of the more successful pay-to-play games.

The way I see it... SW:ToR is on a timer.

Either Bioware buckles up and fixes the fact that there is NOTHING to do in this game at 50 (especially for PvP) before GWII launch or it dies.

I've seen nothing but hype from Bioware talking about how 1.2 is going be the savior but I'm skeptical. Maybe they will deliver and that will make me very happy.

All I know for sure is that I've been one of this games biggest supporters for a VERY long time. But I'm also a competitive PvPer, and if Bioware refuses to offer me something besides rated WZ's I'll be jumping ship as soon as that "other game's" life boat comes floating by.

What's going on?

Jung Ma server is going strong.we

Who cares :p

Seriously the time I was so heavily invested in a game is long past and pretty much died when codemasters shot down Dragon Empires (now that game had some epic ideas^^ most likely too epic).

But anyhow I do not really believe its dying, but I do believe its far less successful then ea wanted it to be, so it depends on what your definition of "dying" is.

Serves will keep running for a long time, at least a skeleton crew for mini content updates and bugfixes will remain, but I highly doubt we will see any of the bigger stuff (like real space combat) or any pay expansion pack.

Edited by Garbald

last 2 or 3 weeks i have noticed less friends online a lot less guild members having to collect nodes for illum dailu . So I'd say less people are logging on. It gets boring quick at 50 hopefully 1.2 will sort it out but if not then I think swtor may be in trouble Edited by lethal_ghost

I have to say, this weekend on my server Ilum was DEAD most of the time. It was actually difficult getting enough kills to get the daily done Saturday and Sunday.

That is ominous to me. Yeah, Ilum sucks. But are people giving up on it?

Or, even worse: have all the imps gotten their battlemaster gear and they have no need to fight anymore?

SWTOR is like a baby born premature. We all have hopes for it to survive but the chances are not very pretty atm.

This game should've been released as-is 7 years ago, or as a polished product in another year or so.

The game in its current state is a bullet wound and each patch seems like a tiny bandaid while we bleed subscription numbers.

Havent been able to finish ilum daily for some days now, theres noone around, and centre is held by 4-5 imperials so i cant get armaments

More and more of the good pvprs quit, we had 3-4 premade warzone groups running before, now theres not enough players for one, most of the time i do daily arzone with 1 other player. Been soloing the last couple of days becouse that 1 player havent logged in.

I think the subs are missgiving, i have my sub still, but im not active, only logging on to do my dailys. I play mmos to relax after work, but theres no really anything better to play, been playing some kingdoms of amalur, been thinking of playing through ME2 on Nightmare mode before ME3.

I think many are running their subs becouse of that reason, people are bored of their previous mmo, and so want to enjoy swtor, and its been to short time to cancel the subscription already.

On a sidenote, dont overhype gw2, it will not have as much content as wow, it doesnt have raids, and it will have alot of flaws (to much spelleffects, and to many white circles on floor :p). Yet as an old DaoC player, im looking forward to check it out.

Edited by SeloDaoC