Is SWTOR dying?

Turlinde

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This confuses me. So many hardcore gamers talk about EQ like the legendary lost holy grail of MMOs. Isn't it still online? If it's so great, why don't these people play it? Or has it changed so much that it's no longer like it was?

I'm not trying to flame or troll, I just wonder. I see posts about the greatness of EQ all the time and how they'd love to see another MMO like EQ, but EQ is still going and can still be played.

it's nothing like it was, and it's gone free to play now. in the old days there was the same drive as in vanilla WoW.

plus it was built for older computers and the graphics fade out due to new technology.

it's alot like the evolution of WoW. from vanilla to now, in the begining it was work to get loot and once you got that loot you were a god, now everything is just given away.

the reason why people talk about EQ as the "holy grail" is because EQ was the MMO that started the trend, it is the most notable of the early three.

i used to work with a guy that was the manager for a branch or GM's in WoW and he told me that that is what blizzard does they take games that are out and make them better. they took every idea from EQ (non lore related) and worked it to a better angle. and then the carbares started crying because a group of 5 full tier 2 could roll 15-20 non end game raiaders. the same thing happend in SWG.

SWToR is like a book, you read it once, then its quite nice. (Main character)

Then someone puts in 3-4 more pages. Those new pages are nice, but you have already read the rest of the book, but you have to read through the whole book to get to the 4th new page. When you have played it through, they add another 3-4 pages, and you have to read through the same book again, and again, only for a small amount of new text each read through (Playing an alt)

This game would have to be remade from the core to be more fun, theres TO much focus on the voiceovers, they completly forgot about gameplay, something to work for, some meaning to logg on every day.

That's kind of the point - their game lasted to max level MUCH longer than TOR does. Again, TOR has a month or two of content to max level. In WoW, it took most people 3-6 months. And if you played an alt, you could level to 60 doing almost entirely different zones than you did the first time. In TOR it's the same planets and 90% of the same quests.

one of the reasons i didnt like wow was becouse it was so damn easy to level, i got to max level in the free period and just sat there. It was so easy compared to the previous mmos, whereas in DaoC it took me almost a year to get to 50, in wow it took 1 month. Leveling has become so trivialized. As long as there is fun stuff to do, instances etc WHILE your leveling up, i dont care if it takes 1 year, actually i prefer it.

Edited by SeloDaoC

This confuses me. So many hardcore gamers talk about EQ like the legendary lost holy grail of MMOs. Isn't it still online? If it's so great, why don't these people play it? Or has it changed so much that it's no longer like it was?

I'm not trying to flame or troll, I just wonder. I see posts about the greatness of EQ all the time and how they'd love to see another MMO like EQ, but EQ is still going and can still be played.

EQ actually still has a pretty strong playerbase. Most of the people referring to how hardcore and great EQ was, are referring to the old days of EQ. Having to grind everything, training people, Zek rules PvP (the only rule of Zek PvP was there are no rules), camping a spawn for 2 weeks at a time without seeing a single spawn, etc. Since then the game has been fit to cater to a bit more of a carebear style compared to the old days.

Long story short, people who talk about how much they loved EQ, aren't playing it anymore because it's simply not anywhere near the same game. That along with the fond memories of playing a game that was absolutely revolutionary for its time, and that feeling always fades.

Edited by Ultratron

Oh please. WoW at launch had twice the content ToR does NOW. And the average player didn't reach max level in a month.

Bioware takes 5 years to produce one month of content and burns the budget on voice acting. This works for a single player game like Dragon Age Origins. It's not a sustainable model for an MMO. Anyone with a brain can see the writing on the wall.

Yet another "I have no problems on my faction on my server, so all other factions and servers are fine!"

You obviously didn't play WoW at launch... it had about 1/3 the content as SWTOR and just about as many bugs/issues... yes max level took longer... but the average ADD kiddo these days can't stand to level for more than a week or two before they burn out on the game... face it, MMOs have changed since WoWs release. As much as we'd all love to see a return to EQ1 or vanilla WoW style MMOs it can't and won't ever happen...

You obviously didn't play WoW at launch... it had about 1/3 the content as SWTOR and just about as many bugs/issues... yes max level took longer... but the average ADD kiddo these days can't stand to level for more than a week or two before they burn out on the game... face it, MMOs have changed since WoWs release. As much as we'd all love to see a return to EQ1 or vanilla WoW style MMOs it can't and won't ever happen...

Actually WoW had more content that werent instances, it also took longer time to complete all of it, which kinda says how little content SWToR have.

Actually WoW had more content that werent instances, it also took longer time to complete all of it, which kinda says how little content SWToR have.

I think you're a victim of rose colored glasses. I played WoW at launch, I have great memories of vanilla WoW... but this game has about 10x the content WoW did at launch. There may be a little less social stuff to do, but theres a ton more quests, PvP, etc...

Factually wrong. WoW had 2 continents of content, and you could level to 60 twice and barely set foot in the same zones the second time.

There were more instances as well.

Star Wars wont die and I am one of the unhappy guys.

On the other hand I dont get why all the fanboys are so fast to flame when somebody brings up some of the many problems, bugs and design flaws.

You should really hope Bioware starts to fix these issues because its great that you love the game so much but a small player base means less development in the long run.

Everquest 1 and 2 and even Warhammer Online is still around but especially Warhammer ... do you really want 3 generic world events per year and thats it development wise because they went into maintenance mode to squeeze more money out?

Players will come and go and some will come back to see their class story advance and play it more like a singleplayer game (buy ME1,2,3 every 1-2 years). Its definitly not an MMO so you should like it or hate it for what it is. I keep playing until I can get my hands on Secret World or Guild Wars 2.

I beg to differ. I played WoW from release and still have active accounts that I play now and then.

Vanilla WoW didn't really have more content and certainly didn't have anything approaching the Voice acting quests of SWTOR. It didn't have BGs and had a very limited number of instances at release. And those instances were often very buggy. A year in things were much smoother, but there were still a lot of bugs.

It did take a while to level. But some of that was due to the enumerable bugs, server crashes, etc. A lot of it was also due to how long it took to get anywhere at a walk. And you did a lot of walking in Vanilla WoW. It was also true that if you pushed the leveling process death came much more frequently and runs back to your body could take a long time.

The OPs in SWTOR are much easier than the Vanilla WoW raids (40 person raids) but then that is one of the things that changed as WoW matured. A very small percentage of the population got to see content in many of the raids (I've seen estimates of well under 10% that completed all the Vanilla raids before the next expansion).

Edited by Erasimus

Is SWTOR dying? Ques are longer and longer. So many of the good players that I levelled with never log in anymore it seems. Republic fleet on mt server used to have over 100 toons at off hours, and now its mainly 20-30. My server Helm of Garush was one of the top 5 population servers at one point. Now it seems more and more like a Ghostown.

What's going on?

This game is garbage. The balance is awful, melee classes dominate, healers without tanks are trash, ranged are gimmicks, force users dominate non force users...the list goes on and on. I got stuck here for another month because the auto renew kicks in a day early.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Teala/012012/22492_The-Tortanics-Maiden-Voyage

This is what happens when you create a ranged stun fest and the best pvp dps classes are also the easiest to play.

You quickly come to the conclusion...why bother.

You linked us to some random blog as evidence to the game being bad and people leaving? I mean the game has its issues, but lol@this.

This game is garbage. The balance is awful, melee classes dominate, healers without tanks are trash, ranged are gimmicks, force users dominate non force users...the list goes on and on. I got stuck here for another month because the auto renew kicks in a day early.

you still dont have to play

You linked us to some random blog as evidence to the game being bad and people leaving? I mean the game has its issues, but lol@this.

Are you not seeing the data? XFire has enough data to sample the current trends of players habit.

Edited by ohnam

i thought he made a good move there, it's alot like LOLUMAD. when you know your losing an E-argument just through out LOLUMAD until the battle is back on your side.

Problem is, now that he reminded me who he is, all can enjoy reading the thread where he humiliated himself to such a degree that he now bears a grudge.

Probably not what he wanted.

AND he reported the post of mine he quoted. Which means that he doesn't have me on ignore like he claimed. How pathetic is that?

Edited by EternalFinality

i made this comment too i wnated to know where he got his numbers from in this blog and the OP was like "there statistics it's pretty much fact"

LOL @ all the people who feel this game is fine.. I'm sorry but this game is a huge pile of garbage and truth is it's already DEAD. It was the moment it was released with Ilum in it's current state. I'm in the GW2 beta and I know it's not perfect but it's 100X better then SWTOR and it's not even released yet.

SWTOR = EPIC FAIL Leroy Jenkins style!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU

Watch the video for Leroy Jenkins, basically this is a perfect representation of the Devs at bioware. They have a game they want to make but it has tons of bugs AKA "eggs" and Leroy is the production lead for PVP and what they need is "money". The number crunch is "game metrics"

When Leroy runs in that represents release the of SWTOR!

Edited by EuroThunder

at the beginning 25 in guild now I am alone or we are 2 online....my firend list is empty nobody on my friend list came online for last two weeks...I am getting bored day by day and I am afraid I will go back to age of conan which is for free at least..

Is SWTOR dying? Ques are longer and longer. So many of the good players that I levelled with never log in anymore it seems. Republic fleet on mt server used to have over 100 toons at off hours, and now its mainly 20-30. My server Helm of Garush was one of the top 5 population servers at one point. Now it seems more and more like a Ghostown.

What's going on?

yes it is... due to rush to launch with poor pvp, no bounty huntin system , ilum lag and 3Wz.

I got a week or so before my sub expired then Im out. I dont feel any tempting to come back here.

Im checkin out DominusTheGame. it got bounty hunting system, and deathblow. You can be ranged or melee. no hybrid. I dont minded the graphic as long as good pvp and bhunting system. Im all about pvp , deathblow and bounty hunting system.

i made this comment too i wnated to know where he got his numbers from in this blog and the OP was like "there statistics it's pretty much fact"

Its in the blog post where he got the numbers, hello read much? Read the graphs and they tell you where the sources came from.

holy balls lol im on this thread cussing up a storm and people are badmouthing bioware left and right... and what gets me a warning and a post deletion? mentioning the name of an upcoming mmo i might switch to if it turns out well. party foul bioware. party foul. Edited by radbass

EQ gameplay is too simple nowadays, it was ok at that time. The thing about the "hardcore" was you couldn't do things alone, you needed people for pretty much everything, and high end content required camping of days. It was hardcore, and it felt right at that time, but i don't think many people want to really experience that again.